Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY with Rev. EDWARD ESPE BROWN (The Tassajara Tenzo)

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY with Rev. EDWARD ESPE BROWN (The Tassajara Tenzo)

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Priest and famed former "Tenzo" (Head Cook) at the Tassajara Zen Monastery Rev. Edward Espe Brown will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SUNDAY MAY 6th, LIVE from California and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Ed ...

Edward Espe Brown, a Soto Zen Buddhist priest, was was ordained in 1971 by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, and he received Dharma Transmission from Mel Weitsman in 1996. He was the first head resident cook at Tassajara Zen Mountain Center from 1967 to 1970. He later worked at the celebrated Greens Restaurant in San Francisco [then operated by San Francisco Zen Center], serving as busboy, waiter, floor manager, wine buyer, cashier, host, and manager. He has taught meditation retreats and vegetarian cooking classes throughout North America and Europe. He is the author of several books and also has edited a book of Suzuki Roshi lectures, Not Always So. Ed is the founder and teacher of the Peaceful Sea Sangha. He is the subject of the critically acclaimed 2007 film How to Cook Your Life, as seen here:

The festivities will begin at 9:00 AM CALIFORNIA TIME SUNDAY (that is NOON in New York, London 5:00pm and Paris 6:00pm, all SUNDAY MAY, 6th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Ed for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

He is here in part to introduce his latest book ...

No Recipe: Cooking as Spiritual Practice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZVZR63...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

You may also buy the books direct from Ed here, especially if you would like a signed copy of this or his other books (indicate so when writing):

http://www.peacefulseasangha.com/mar...arketplace.htm

He is also the author of several other great books, including:

• The Tassajara Bread Book. (1970) Written at the Tassajara Zen Mountain Center (now in 25th Anniversary edition)
    • Tassajara Cooking. (1986)
    • Tomato Blessings and Radish Teachings: Recipes and Reflections. (1997) Riverhead Books > Excerpts
    • The Tassajara Recipe Book. (2000)
    • The Greens Cookbook, with Deborah Madison. (2001)
    • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen. Lectures by Shunryu Suzuki (2008) [2003] (ed.)
    • The Complete Tassajara Cookbook: Recipes, Techniques, and Reflections from the Famed Zen Kitchen. (2011)

I would like to fill our hangout and show Rev. Brown a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

I will post immediately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome The Tassajara Tenzo! I believe this is his first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to Rev. Brown's Sangha, The Peaceful Sea Sangha, not far from San Francisco, in gratitude to the Teacher. Below is a link for donations, and I am going to ask all our Treeleaf members who benefit from Ed's visit (not only the folks joining live, but those who will sit later or just listen to his words), to offer a donation for their upkeep there ...

... and/or to purchase one of his books (especially his latest) ...

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-02-2018 at 01:05 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Hangouts If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT(s), AND SHINGEN WILL SEND OUT INVITATIONS AND POST A LINK TO JOIN IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure Rev. Ed has gotten there). If there is big demand, I can open a second HANGOUT too.

The people for this group are (as of now):

1- Doshin
    2- Shinshi
    3- Rakurei
    4- Todd
    5- Washin
    6- Kyonin
    7- Shugen
    8- Jakuden
    9- Ed Espe Brown
    10-Jundo

Waiting List: Shingen, Matthew, Daitetsu

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen posted above in this thread.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Ed from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Ed, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Last edited by Jundo; 05-05-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Jundo Note: BECAUSE OF THIS EVENT, AND A PERSONAL COMMITMENT, THERE WILL BE NO "4-HOUR MONTHLY ZAZENKAI" THIS MONTH. INSTEAD, WE WILL HAVE A 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI on Friday Night (US TIME). Thank you.

delete cascade.png
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-07-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Jundo, I can be there 2 Way on Sunday. However, I am always content to be one way if others have the desire to try something new! How is it said around here One Way, Two Way, Same Way? My Zen speak is very limited, I just sit

Doshin
    st

PS..forgive me I am easlily confused. Is it May 6th or May 11th?

Gassho
    Doshin
    st

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    PS..forgive me I am easlily confused. Is it May 6th or May 11th?

Gassho
    Doshin
    st
    It is May 6th my friend, this coming Sunday. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I'm willing to try something new and attending two-way. But I probably won't have any questions for him and I am not that familiar with Hangouts, so if someone really wishes to attend and the hangouts rooms are full, I will be happy to give them my place and attend one-way.

EDIT: I keep on forgetting this part, hopefully it will become a habit soon:

Gassho,
    Matthew
    SATLAH
    Last edited by Mitka; 05-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.

I am very interested in sitting for this. I can't lock it in for sure until I get my work schedule for the coming week on Friday (I've been on vacation for these past 2 weeks).

As someone struggling with weight, a decent portion of my practice is trying to cultivate mindfulness around my eating among all the other things in my life.

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

The festivities will begin at 9:00 AM CALIFORNIA TIME SATURDAY (that is NOON in New York, London 5:00pm and Paris 6:00pm, all SUNDAY MAY, 6th).
    Jundo,

I'm guessing this is just a typo since it is the only place that says Saturday, but just to confirm it is Sunday at 9 a.m. Pacific Time.

I can attend either two-way or one-way.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    Jundo,

I'm guessing this is just a typo since it is the only place that says Saturday, but just to confirm it is Sunday at 9 a.m. Pacific Time.

I can attend either two-way or one-way.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday
    That is a typo Shoka, I have gone and change it to Sunday. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I am attempting to make this! Loved How to Cook Your Life!

Also - How to Cook Your Life is available to rent for $1.99 off of YouTube (which note - they don't promote their great collection of films enough). Just follow the link Jundo posted, top right corner.

Gassho, ST,

Rakurei

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurei View Post
    I am attempting to make this! Loved How to Cook Your Life!

Also - How to Cook Your Life is available to rent for $1.99 off of YouTube (which note - they don't promote their great collection of films enough). Just follow the link Jundo posted, top right corner.

Gassho, ST,

Rakurei
    Hi Rakurei,

Do I put you down for "two-way" or are you a "one-way," (remembering of course that Zen is ultimately "not one not two-way" )

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

NOTE:

Ed wrote to say that you may also obtain most of his books direct from Ed here, especially if you would like a signed copy (indicate so when writing):

http://www.peacefulseasangha.com/mar...arketplace.htm

Gassho, J

STLah

I can do two way!

I will definitely be there one way - or another. Dealing with some health and logistic issues but I will definitely be there.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Sounds interesting, don't know if I will be able to make it in person so to say - may catch it later. Hope to see yinz (that's a Pittsburgh you-plural) two way on Friday.
    gassho,
    sean
    sat,lah

Looks like I will be able to attend two way, count me in unless someone else needs the spot

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!

Will love to join if possible. Will be 12:00 am Hong Kong time. Everyone sleeping so I’ll be fine.

Gassho

Moy

Quote Originally Posted by moyomoy View Post
    Hi!

Will love to join if possible. Will be 12:00 am Hong Kong time. Everyone sleeping so I’ll be fine.

Gassho

Moy

Hi Moy,

May I ask if you can commit to two-way, or did you mean "one-way." Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

I have been looking so forward to this! "How to Cook Your Life" (the film) still influences my practice today after seeing it years ago. I have re watched it many times. Go figure that I will be on a family vacation in Hawaii, and wi fi internet access will be a "maybe". I really wanted to meet him. Oh man... Hmm... Jundo, I may email you a question to ask him on my behalf, if I think of a good one.

Well, at least I will get to watch it when I return...

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I have been looking so forward to this! "How to Cook Your Life" (the film) still influences my practice today after seeing it years ago. I have re watched it many times. Go figure that I will be on a family vacation in Hawaii, and wi fi internet access will be a "maybe". I really wanted to meet him. Oh man... Hmm... Jundo, I may email you a question to ask him on my behalf, if I think of a good one.

Well, at least I will get to watch it when I return...

Gassho, sat today, lah
    You can always drive up there too, California girl.

Gassho, J

SatTodaylAH

Hi Moy,

May I ask if you can commit to two-way, or did you mean "one-way." Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Hi Jundo,

Is my first time, what will be easier and less troublesome for everybody? I guess “one-way” ok?

Gassho, Moy

Hi Jundo

I am probably best being one way since my pain often means moving or changing position.

It is really exciting to have Ed visit as I adore his Tassajara Bread Book and have cooked many things from it. The cinnamon breakfast rolls are a favourite of my mother! I enjoyed How To Cook Your Life also (I downloaded from iTunes).

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Joyo
    What a wonderful opportunity, thank you so much for this, Jundo. I have watched How to Cook Your Life several times.

I will be there one-way, looking forward to it!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

You can always drive up there too, California girl.

Gassho, J

SatTodaylAH
    Lol, that is true. It's just as well: zen practice is good for FOMO (and nothing). I will be enjoying Hawaii anyway, how could I complain?

Gassho, sat today, lah

PS: FOMO = fear of missing out

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi Jundo,

Please count me in for the Hangout (2 ways!)

Really looking forward for this. Thank you for making it possible.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you, Jundo.

I'd like to join two-ways if there will be a free seat. Otherwise one-way.
    I happened to watch "How To Cook Your Life" once when it was free on Youtube for a short while
    and loved it.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Eishuu
    I will be there one-way.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH

Dear All 2-Way Participants:

I have posted the following seating reservations for Sunday's Hangout.

Wait List folks, please come in (first come first served) if there is an open space at the start time.

1- Doshin
    2- Shinshi
    3- Rakurei
    4- Todd
    5- Washin
    6- Kyonin
    7- Shugen
    8- Jakuden
    9- Ed Espe Brown
    10-Jundo

Waiting List: Shingen, Matthew, Daitetsu

(Let me know if I missed anyone).

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-05-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Mp
    Hey Jundo,

Just as an fyi ... I will be working with Edward in the beginning to ensure that he is connected up to the event, but once he is in and all is running, I will step out. But just know I will be active in the beginning.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I'll be there one-way.

Might get me into the kitchen again.

Gassho,
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Hello Jundo,

This is fantastic, I am currently reading "No Recipe" and watched "How to cook your life" last year.

The Zazenkai will be 6 pm for my time zone. However, I will be away in the afternoon, so I don't know yet whether I will make it back on time.
    If there are still seats free on the waiting list, you can put me there - or I can just sit one-way.
    Chances that I will make it on time are 50:50, so if there are other candidates for the waiting list, please put them there first.
    Thanks for making this possible!

Gassho,

大哲

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Daitetsu View Post
    Hello Jundo,

This is fantastic, I am currently reading "No Recipe" and watched "How to cook your life" last year.

The Zazenkai will be 6 pm for my time zone. However, I will be away in the afternoon, so I don't know yet whether I will make it back on time.
    If there are still seats free on the waiting list, you can put me there - or I can just sit one-way.
    Chances that I will make it on time are 50:50, so if there are other candidates for the waiting list, please put them there first.
    Thanks for making this possible!

Gassho,

大哲

#sat2day
    Lovely. I will put you on the list. If you get back, and there is an open spot during the Netcast, just jump in.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Joyo
    Unfortunately, we are getting some home renos done to our house tomorrow so I will have to sit with the recording. I don't think I can sit even one way, while the contractor is putting baseboards in my room.

I'm still very much looking forward to it though. Have a wonderful zazenkai tomorrow everyone.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Hi Jundo,

Is my first time, what will be easier and less troublesome for everybody? I guess “one-way” ok?

Gassho, Moy

An apology, I crashed to sleep early, couldn’t catch to stay up at 12:00 am HK time.

Will watch video.

Gassho

Moy

An apology, I crashed to sleep early, couldn’t catch to stay up at 12:00 am HK time.

Will watch video.

Gassho

Moy

You have not missed it, the talk is in 13 hours and 15 minutes

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

How great is this?! I have one of Ed's books and will definitely get another as it's probably the easiest way for me to donate.
    I'm really sorry not to be able to attend this, but look forward to catching up with the recording. Enjoy, everyone!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Mp
    Hey folks,

Just incase folks have trouble getting in, here is the link to the zazenkai with Edward Brown.

But please let the folks on this list in first and if after the event has started and there is space, then please come in, but please wait 5--10mins after it has started.

1- Doshin
    2- Shinshi
    3- Rakurei
    4- Todd
    5- Washin
    6- Kyonin
    7- Shugen
    8- Jakuden
    9- Ed Espe Brown
    10-Jundo

Link: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_US&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I'll be with you live, one-way. I'm so happy and grateful to welcome Ed, such a lovely guy and a truly gifted teacher. He's meant a lot to me over the years, and he is always in the kitchen with me, though we've never met.

Gassho
    Byokan
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

I'll be joining too, if it is not too late

Thank you!

Some great questions!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Many thanks to Ed Brown sensei.
    A wonderful talk. Makes me yearn for cinnamon buns.

With a bow
    Shinzan
    sattoday

That was so much fun. Boundless gratitude to Ed Brown Sensei and for this wonderful Sangha, I've already ordered my signed book copy!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Last edited by Jakuden; 05-06-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    This was wonderful. Thank you to Roshi eddiebear for speaking with us. Thank you to Jundo for arranging things. Thank you to all for being part of this dance.

Nine bows,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    That was wonderful, thank you for making this possible Jundo and thank you to Kainei Sensei for his talk. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thanks for arranging this special talk. This was my first zazenkai. My internet connection cut out during zazen, but happily that allowed someone else to participate two-way.

Gassho. Sat today.

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Ah, delicious, beautiful, and nourishing! Much gratitude.

Gassho
    Byokan
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Delightful. Thank you.

Gassho
    Doshin
    St

That was such fun - and certainly contained “ease and joy”. Now off to my kitchen!

Thank you Jundo for arranging, and it was great seeing some smiling faces today!

ST,

Rakurei

Lovely, lovely talk.

Thank you Ed and Jundo for making this event possible.

Deep bows.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast