Thread: Looking In, Looking Out

Looking In, Looking Out

Turning to look inwards ...

There are some 37 TRILLION cells that make up you, all of your heart and brain, every inch of skin, your eyes and fingers, each hair on your head ... each single cell, with few exceptions, containing a complete copy of your DNA and genes.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...-body-4941473/

Looking inward, one can say that each cell of your human body is "you" in most intimate sense. There would be no "you" apart from all that. This is the stuff you are made of, the vehicles of physics and chemistry required for you to be. While no cell or cluster of cells need be indispensable (and while you are certainly more than just that), without the workings of the mass of that there would be no "you" here now to ponder all of that ... with a brain made of that.

Turning to look outwards ...

This week, the European Space Agency's Gaia mission released the most comprehensive and detailed star map created so far. It includes some 1.7 BILLION stars of our Milky Way Galaxy, far more than ever seen before (yet a fraction compared to the cells in your own body).

"It gives the brightness and location on the two-dimensional sky for 1.7 billion stars, measures the distance and motion of 1.3 billion of them, and measures the color of about 1.4 billion. It also measures the surface temperature, radius and luminosity and radial velocity of smaller numbers. ... Astronomy is perhaps the oldest scientific discipline and has fascinated people for as long as they have looked at the sky, but this star map dwarfs anything that has come before. Astronomers certainly have their work cut out for them, for the Gaia mission's data will take years to analyze and understand."
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/28/opini...oln/index.html
    Looking outward, one can say that each star and each galaxy is "you" in most intimate sense. There would be no "you" apart from all that (source of every atom of each element of all those cells of you, not one excepted). This is the stuff you are made of, the vehicles of physics and chemistry required for you to be. While no star or whole galaxy need be indispensable (and while you are certainly more than just that), without the workings of the mass of that there would be no "you" here now to ponder all of that ... with a brain made of that.

In the Huayan (Flower Garland) Buddhist vision, so influential upon the Zen Masters, one might say that each cell, each atom, each planet, each star or galaxy contains all in totality, contains all the other atoms and each atom embodies it. Each and all depends, one by one, on all the rest, flows into the rest, expresses the rest. It is a vision of integration and mutual dependence and identity that is very ancient in Mahayana Buddhism.

[In] his Essay on the Golden Lion [Master Fa-tsang} explained the nonobstructing interpenetration of the universal and particular by describing in detail how the gold [which was formed into a a gold lion statue], like the universal principle, pervaded the object completely, but that its particular unique form was that of a lion. The gold represents the ultimate truth of emptiness. Although the parts of the lion seem distinct and unrelated, the essence of the lion itself—that is, gold—remains the same. Within each and every hair of the lion, paradoxically, exists the golden lion. All of the lions contained in each and every hair simultaneously penetrate into one hair. Therefore, within each and every hair there are infinite lions: simultaneously the whole of things creates itself, the ultimate truth and concrete manifestations are interfused, and the manifestations are mutually identical.

... These illustrations reached conclusions that the unenlightened find puzzling, but they are an integral part of Huayan philosophy. Examples are: Inside everything is everything else, and yet no things are confused; Each part in itself fully exemplifies the entirety of the whole; Nothing exists truly in and of itself, but requires everything to be what it is; All things are contained in each individual; Everything is identical because each phenomenon relates to and defines every other phenomenon (yet each phenomenon is again also distinct); The whole universe is contained in a grain of sand; and, the links of interdependence expand throughout the entire universe and at all times (past, present, and future)
    http://mnzencenter.org/pdf/Hua-Yen%20Buddhism.pdf
    Not our usual way of seeing what we, and all things, are.

And of course, all pour into and out of our sitting on the Zafu in a moment of Zazen.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-29-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Fascinating

thank you and gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Mp
    Wow, cool stuff Jundo, this sure is an amazing place we occupy! ... I knew I was just a little old bug, now I see I am even a smaller little old bug.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Wow, cool stuff Jundo, this sure is an amazing place we occupy! ... I knew I was just a little old bug, now I see I am even a smaller little old bug.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    No big or small here. Big depends on and expresses the smallest, the smallest is fully holding the biggest. Every bug contains all the stars.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    No big or small here. Big depends on and expresses the smallest, the smallest is fully holding the biggest. Every bug contains all the stars.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Oh yes, this is very true. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Eishuu
    Thank you Jundo! That was pretty mind blowing for a sunday afternoon.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH

Thank you for the perspective. As Carl Sagan once said, "we are all just star stuff."

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST

Mind-boggling. Beautiful video.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat Today

I find learning about the universe and watching documentaries on astronomy (Cosmos: A Spacetime Oddesy anyone?) a deeply humbling and spiritual practice. The vastness and size of what is out there dwarfs our petty human prejudicies and judgements. Yet at the same time, the totality of all that is out there is coming together in us at every moment and creating who were are in each and every moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Thank you for the perspective. As Carl Sagan once said, "we are all just star stuff."

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST
    Carls Sagan was a very wise man. He really internalized and lived the lessons of what astronomy taugh him about the universe.

Gassho,

Matthew
    SAT
    Last edited by Mitka; 04-29-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Thank you very much for sharing this Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you from this collection of stars-atoms-stars. 😊

Gassho,

Michael

ST/LAH

Beautiful video. I see these things and think, what are we? But I guess we are that.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Footnote ...

Someone pointed out to me that there are more bacteria cells in and on one than body cells, and they participate in a very real way in one's health and existence. And someone else pointed out to me that only about one percent of the stars that are in the Milky Way Galaxy were detected because many are hidden by dust or are so far from the spacecraft that they are too faint.

Fortunately, Huayan principle holds no matter the number or size!

The first person also said (I paraphrase) that our dna cells in relationship to millions of other DNA patterns of other creatures, not to mention countless other interactions with the full universe, all contribute to making you "you." They are you and you just all, like you are the hairs on your head and the hairs just you. Nonetheless, we still get mad at the fool who cuts us off in traffic!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-29-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Eeee! We are home (to the creatures within us) and we are home (in the universe)

This is beautiful, thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at it all really makes all the petty stuff we concern ourselves with humorously insignificant.

Gassho,

Sat today, lah
    Billy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Footnote ...

Someone pointed out to me that there are more bacteria cells in and on one than body cells, and they participate in a very real way in one's health and existence.
    Read a book about this not too long ago: I Contain Multitudes by Ed Young: https://www.amazon.com/Contain-Multi.../dp/0062368591. Not only do the microbes that live within us help us digest food and fight infection, they actually shape our behavior and share some of their genetic traits with their hosts, splicing some of their genes into our genome and giving us their genetic traits. So we really can't say that we are humans that happen to host colonies of microbes that are distinct from us; we are the microbes that live inside of us and the microbes are us!

My microbes are now telling me to sit zazen before I go to bed.

Gassho.

Matthew
    SAT
    Last edited by Mitka; 04-30-2018 at 12:39 AM.

I read that book and it was great. We owe our lives to our little companions, without them it would be difficult to continue.

Sat/lah
    Billy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Joyo
    This is fascinating! Thank you for sharing, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Wonderful! Thank you, Jundo.
    So much to reflect on..

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Lovely. Thank you Jundo and dear Sangha.

Nine bows,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching. Looking deep within us there are countless universes. Looking deep outside us there are countless universes. Which one is bigger? Which one is more important?

I think the are all big, important and non-big and non-important. But yes indeed, we are home.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching. Looking deep within us there are countless universes. Looking deep outside us there are countless universes. Which one is bigger? Which one is more important?

I think the are all big, important and non-big and non-important. But yes indeed, we are home.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    A scientist friend is fascinated by fractals ... and if we look down to the small or up to the large one finds fractals.

But, not only that, one finds fractals within fractals withing fractals ... on and on ... (I usually don't post videos like this, but this is nice ... )

Now, that being said ... let us just chop wood from the fractal trees, and fetch water from the fractal rivers.

Gassho, J

StTodayLAH

Mp
    Now, that being said ... let us just chop wood from the fractal trees, and fetch water from the fractal rivers.
    =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Uh oh... you posted a video mentioning videogames AND procedural generation... I wrote a chapter in a book about that:
    https://www.crcpress.com/Procedural-.../9781498799195

Here's ANOTHER game about precisely this topic of universes within and without:

(yes, the bears flipping is completely intentional; animation takes quite a bit of work and sometimes us game developers decide to take shortcuts which end up being the voice of the game)

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today