Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Treeleaf Change of Season Photography Project

The Treeleaf Change of Season Photography Project

It is spring in the Northern hemisphere, and fall in the southern hemisphere, and even though there is always change, these times stand out. Sekishi and I were talking about the spring.. his in Virginia, and mine up in Toronto, and we had the idea of a Treeleaf Change of Season photography project. It is nothing fancy, just an invitation to fellow to our Treeleafers to document the change of season in the world around us.

I will offer this image to begin, and post more as the world blooms around us ...

eab150ac-c2c3-4f5a-afbc-11cd4de30365.jpg

.....it is not an especially artful photo, but it is special to me at the end of a long winter. It is the first sprout of green in the neighborhood, pushing through the debris left from a melted urban snow bank, and layers of defrosted dog poop. It has already been nibbled on by squirrels. Nature finding a way.

Gassho
    Richard H

---

Break open a cherry tree and there are no flowers;
    But the spring breeze brings forth myriad blossoms.

-- Ikkyu
    Unlike Canada, the green wave has inundated coastal Virginia. Leaves have found their way to the tree branches and many of the blooms are already fading from the trees and flowers.

Zen poets love the magic of blossoms and summer grasses springing forth from emptiness, no coming, no going. I thought it would be fun to explore the "going" today when I walked past some fallen petals on the ground. So this evening I put a silly little plastic "clip-on" macro lens on my phone, and went out to take pictures of the small world at our feet. The forest floor and among the grasses of the field --it is on the Earth where many things slowly turn into other things.

Here are two fallen petals, laying on soft moss under the tree they recently left:

IMG_1694-petals-on-moss-1024w.jpg

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Last edited by RichardH; 04-05-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi all,

Here are a few more photos I took yesterday of the turning of the seasons at our feet.

The flower and the pollinator arise together.

"What is and what is not create each other. Difficult and easy complement each other. Tall and short shape each other. High and low rest on each other." - Tao Te Ching (Ch.2) So too the poplar and the grape hyacinth shape each other!

A clover grows through the doorway -- grass huts everywhere!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi,

Lovely images. Here's one after my wife finished planting for the day.

in our garden.jpg

Gassho
    meishin
    Sat Today

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Richard/Sekishi

I like the sound of this project and will try to capture some images while I can. Opportunities will be brief as I'll be returning to the UK in a week or so. Spring has some alternative views and sights here in the French countryside. The mace/corn fields will soon be planted, a bit later than normal due to a wet winter, so muck spreading and ploughing has only started in the last week or so. But you still know spring is not to far away when the tractors start emptying the winter contents of cow shed to feed this years corn. It truly is a cycle of life. My grandkids no longer believe it is the rare Nocturnal Giant French Elephant who leaves the huge piles of dung in the fields around the house. The age of innocence gone.

Here's a poor snap of my "tree nursery" from a few weeks back. January cuttings, bound and left in the open water butt to which I add the ashes from the wood fire. As you can see buds are beginning to bloom. Its progressed a little more and I keep checking for root formation but Its another 180 plus trees to plant out when I get back from England.

IMG_20180320_090903 (2).jpg

If my altar pops up here please ignore as I've attached it some how according to the preview
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Had a mammoth grass cutting fest today and spent about 4 hours on the tractor mower. Plenty of opportunity to see what's been springing into life, so too a few pics.

These first two are my ongoing Project Empress/Kiri Tree. I have been trying to grow these fast growing trees since 2012 with little success from seed but last year I bought 20 seedings but planted them rather late in the season. While my 250 Poplar Hybrid have now spurted new growth, these 20 little trees looked forlorn and dead. But I decided to clear the grass and weeds from each one and was surprised to see the first signs of life in a couple. Keeping my fingers crossed that where there is hope there is life!
    IMG_20180406_165348.jpg
    IMG_20180406_165343.jpg

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

More hope, as a few of the Poplar cutting that did not take last year but I left in place, planning to plant new cuttings this year, have decided to grow.

IMG_20180406_165407.jpg

And healthy new growth on their more successful siblings, which looked so sad over winter ........ a field full of sticks.

IMG_20180406_165444.jpg

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Finally, this years crop of pears waking up.

IMG_20180406_165805.jpg

And rhubarb that has only just recently broken ground to reappear in the spring sunshine.

IMG_20180406_170506.jpg

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Mp
    Beautiful captures everyone ... =)

29597217_10156403817104273_844405097682055010_n.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Lovely photos and a great initiative. As some of you know I love taking photos and documenting life around me, so I hope to be able to contribute to this. In Sardinia, the transition from winter to summer is very brief, one minute it's all grey days and then boom, it's scorching hot,so I need to be quick! I can't seem to post photos from my phone, so I'll come back later.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Pond cleaning is over, our guests arrived.

visitors.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Beautiful

Gassho
    RichardH
    sat today/LAH

img_0485 (1).jpg

Chihuachuan Desert, Claret Cup Cactus

Doshin
    st

We have a tiny grape vine in our tiny urban garden, it's just making the first leaves now.
    vigne april 7 2018 .jpg

In the background you can see that the first flowers are blooming on the geranium hedge.
    first geraniums.jpg

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Photo 2018-04-10, 5 45 17 PM.jpg

Well.... spring hasn't quite sprung in this neck of the woods. This is the weather outside right now. I tried rejecting it, just simply refusing to accept it..... but.. it is snowing none-the-less

Gassho
    RichardH

sat today/LAH

What a wonderful idea, Richard. I love the photos! Spring is one of my favorite seasons...it's a little late for us this year. Usually by now my Japanese willow and our tulips would be blooming...but not yet...maybe in the next week or so.

Thank you all for sharing.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday

Some lovely photos posted in the last few days. I took some in our chicken's plot/field/small garden at the weekend when trimming their grass. Have not had time to reduce these down to a postable size, so hope folk don't mind a link to my Google Photos shared folder..............which I hope works for you folks!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tJUzwtTBoaIxaGZI3

Not really the place but how do some folks post a thread wide huge pic with the size restrictions ? Every time I resize below 225 it posts "stamp" size ? How do you get around that Sekishi ?

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Very nice photos!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

These are beautiful, thanks everyone! Not much going on here yet, hopefully will get some subject matter soon

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Here are some Spring critters These are actually old photos, but it is snowing outside right now. Spring is having a hard time finding us this year.

Sat2day

Wow Troy, those are some amazing close-ups! I took these pics while I was out walking today, as you can see spring is really busting out all over now, and the air feels sweet and soft. These wild flowers will probably be categorised as weeds shortly and cut down, so I was glad to find them so full of life today.

agave.jpg

walkway.jpg

wild flowering.jpg

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Beautiful pictures everyone!
    Meitou, I love how the borage flowers blossom out pink and, with maturing, slowly turn blue.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Beautiful pictures Meitou!

Sat2day

Such beautiful pictures!

Usually I don’t feel that strongly about spring. Sure it is great, but if it is late it makes no difference. This year is different, and I don’t kbow why. The thought of lying on green grass makes me want to cry... not from sadness... just from a feeling of time passing, people and places come and gone. The beauty of it. Being a part of it.

Gassho
    RichardH

sat today/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Not really the place but how do some folks post a thread wide huge pic with the size restrictions ? Every time I resize below 225 it posts "stamp" size ? How do you get around that Sekishi ?
    Sorry I missed this question when you originally asked Seishin.

If you have the photos posted somewhere online already, you can use {IMG}https://somesite.com/photo.png{/IMG} (where the curly brackets are square brackets). This will display the image inline at its original size.

If there is a way to do that with photos uploaded as attachments, I don't know what it is. I guess there is probably a way to upload it as an attachment, and then edit the {ATTACH}1234{/ATTACH} to turn it into the {IMG}{/IMG} syntax.

I'll experiment in the post after this one...

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #experimented

Testing: Can I take the attachment I uploaded in the first post and use the {IMG} tag to put it inline...

Update: Ok, that worked. Can I do it with a newly attached photo?

Update2: Ok, so it is possible, but its a little convoluted. Maybe there is a simpler way? Here is what I did:
    1. Use the "Insert Image" button in the message editing toolbar.
    2. Select and upload your image. It will appear in the editor as {ATTACH}NNNN{/ATTACH} (where NNNN is the attachment-id integer)
    3. Change this to {IMG}https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=NNNN{/IMG} (where NNNN is the attachment-id, and the curly braces are replaced with square brackets).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-20-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Playing with attachments.

I used the Tapatalk app and picked the best picture quality option. That is how mine showed up big.

Lovely pictures Sekishi

Sat2day
    Last edited by Troy; 04-20-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I used the Tapatalk app and picked the best picture quality option. That is how mine showed up big.
    Good point Troy. If you use the Tapatalk app, it actually uploads the photo to Tapatalk's servers, and then uses the {IMG} tag to embed it.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Mp
    Even though the beauty of these images is not about Big or Small, big images are kind of nice. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Even though the beauty of these images is not about Big or Small, big images are kind of nice. =)

Also, lovely photo. We can say that there is fall and that there is spring, but one fall leaf in springtime cuts through concepts and boundaries.

Or something like that.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

Shingen and Sekishi yours have a Zen vibe for me. Love them

Sat2day

Lupine on my hike today.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday / LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

One of my little birdie friends that sits with me in the morning, warming up in the sun to get ready for the day.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signs of spring in the garden.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

There are some lovely pictures folks. As soon as Spring starts here I will see if I can take a few pictures.

Gassho,
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

It came late but all it needed was a couple of mild days and everything is springing up at once.

Photo 2018-04-23, 6 27 41 PM.jpg

That is one sweet dog, Shoka.

Gassho
    RichardH

sat today/LAH

Finally a sign of spring!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Remember the photo of the vine in our yard? Here it is, just one month later, already showing tiny bunches of grapes. This isn't exceptional, grapes seem to have an almost scary rate of growth.

vine 1.jpg

vine 2 sm.jpg

And for some flowers, the seasons have already passed, making room for new life to bloom.

fallen 1.jpg

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday
    Last edited by Meitou; 05-08-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spacing and alignment
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Remember the photo of the vine in our yard? Here it is, just one month later, already showing tiny bunches of grapes. This isn't exceptional, grapes seem to have an almost scary rate of growth.

vine 1.jpg

vine 2 sm.jpg

And for some flowers, the seasons have already passed, making room for new life to bloom.

fallen 1.jpg

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday

“a drop of dew, a bubble, A dream, a lightning's flash, a thunder cloud”.

Gassho
    RichardH

Sattoday/LAH

Thought I’d try this out.

sattoday
    Shane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    In Sincerity
    Shane

I did not put these on my pizza.

fullsizeoutput_117.jpeg

Gassho ST LAH
    James

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I did not put these on my pizza.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

On the way home from work

Sat2day
    Last edited by Troy; 08-23-2018 at 01:16 AM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    On the way home from work

Sat2day
    Detour due to giant color band in the sky! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Here in northern New Mexico, August- if we are lucky, brings rain and hints of fall. This wild flower planted itself in my 'fragrance' garden outside our bedroom.
    The recent rains brought out its glory!
    We're still in a dangerous drought, so every drop is precious!

buddha adj.jpg

~st~
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    Dry-faced Buddha.
    Wet-faced Buddha.

(Misquote of Master Mazu - Blue Cliff Record #3 or Book of Serenity #36).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Summer is fleeting. Enjoy it now.

fullsizeoutput_171.jpeg

Gassho
    Sat Today / LAH
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    Here in northern New Mexico, August- if we are lucky, brings rain and hints of fall. This wild flower planted itself in my 'fragrance' garden outside our bedroom.

buddha adj.jpg

~st~
    Anne
    This is so beautiful Anne! Great photos everyone.
    Gassho
    Meitou

satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Fall is just around the corner here in Illinois.

leaf1.jpg

Gassho

Jen

ST
    Last edited by Nenka; 09-02-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Mp
    Bodhi and the Buddha. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast