Thread: Andrew Cohen, Surviving A Cult

Andrew Cohen, Surviving A Cult

A short documentary about the cult surrounding spiritual Guru Andrew Cohen (no family relation, if I may say).

If you ever detect a hint of anything like that about this Treeleaf Community (or me!), please RUN, DO NOT WALK, FOR THE DOOR!

It is so important for all of us involved in "Eastern philosophies" or various religious/spiritual groups to be aware of the possibilities for abuse, for it can happen anywhere. It has happened in Zen and other Buddhist groups too.

There is much more information online about the Andrew Cohen cult, if you are interested:

Luna Tarlo spent over three years living with her guru Andrew Cohen (founder of What is Enlightenment? magazine now called EnlightenNext) in India and the United States. After she experienced extreme forms of public condemnation and humiliation she broke from him and wrote a book depicting Cohen as an “arrogant, power-hungry, dangerous figure who practices mind control over adherents.” She is, however, different than the hundreds of other disciples who followed him. Luna Tarlo is Andrew Cohen’s mother. In an interview with the Boston Globe in 1998 she stated, Cohen “requires total surrender to him. You have to obey everything he says and trust him 100 percent, and anybody who disagrees is subject to derision and verbal abuse.” In tragic fashion she ended what had previously been a healthy and loving relationship, “I know my life with him is over, and it’s very sad. I love him a lot.”

Twelve years after Tarlo’s “The Mother of God” (1997) was published, William Yenner, a follower of Cohen’s for over 13 years and insider of his Foxhollow ashram has released a scathing book which chronicles the abuse that Cohen’s mother spoke of. “American Guru: A Story of Love, Betrayal and Healing — former students of Andrew Cohen speak out” (2009) is an insider’s look at how this self-proclaimed “rude boy” manipulated, abused, pressured and controlled his followers.

https://medium.com/@bescofield/integ...0-dace41c982eb
    In the video, Andrew Cohen does seem to "come clean" about his behavior. I hope he is sincere.

Here is a list of "Cult Warning Signs" if someone is ever concerned about any group or teacher:

https://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-08-2018 at 02:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Ernest Hemingway's "built-in sh*t detector" is very useful.

Gassho
    meishin
    SatToday LAH

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... right at the end the lady says, "Why didn't we question it, we are intelligent". I think this is vital in so many ways and in so many experiences in life. Asking the question(s) "why" is very important.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Thank you Jundo ... right at the end the lady says, "Why didn't we question it, we are intelligent". I think this is vital in so many ways and in so many experiences in life. Asking the question(s) "why" is very important.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    yes

Gassho

Doshin
    st

Thank you.

Gassho
    Ryudo
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you

Gassho
    Washin
    sat/lah

Thanks, a good reminder.

Gassho,
    Souchi

SatToday

Very interesting documentary, thanks.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thanks for bringing the light about this! It’s been something that has happened in yoga community too.

Gassho

Moy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was fun. If I may nerd out for a bit?

I first came in contact with Cohen after stumbling upon his teacher - Papaji, a student of Ramana Maharshi. Papaji gave teaching permissions to three of his students - claiming they were enlightened: Cohen, Gangaji and Mooji.

Later, however, Cohen started ruffling some feathers in the US (long before Elightenext, etc..) and Papaji recanted his "teacher status", claiming none of his students were enlightened and he just "wanted the leeches off of his back". Mooji is still a YouTube darling and I also believe operates or operated a community in Brazil or somewhere similar. All of these characters were the basis for this super watered down adaita vedanta teaching that's still fairly prominent today.

And also - as mentioned, Cohen's own mother was the real catalyst behind the downfall. The guy was really being a problem long before the commune situation. I'm absolutely fascinated by folks like Papaji, Neem Karoli Baba, Rajneesh, Trungpa. Not necessarily for their teachings (Trungpa gets a slight pass though) - but more for the entertainment of it. It's a fascinating look at what ego can do to enlightenment experiences. Even Rajneesh's largest detractors admit that he did have great spiritual energy and there was plenty of enlightenment experiences going around - but dude was doing some illegal stuff. He, and many others, likely had some experiences that made them think they were far more powerful than they really were.

Anyhow - it was studying folks like this that led me to appreciate the down-home flavor of Zen, as to which I am thankful.

Fun distraction - now back to work!

ST,

Rakurei

Another amazing documentary, now on Netflix, of a cult gone wrong.

I will say this about the Rajneeshis ... they seemed to have a lot more fun, and a lot more sex and Rolls Royces, back in the day than we do around here. We are boring. Their commune in Oregon was resisted by the surrounding town and county, seemingly some very conservative and generally Christian folks, who were overwhelmed and not the most open minded. However, the response of some in the commune included plots to poison and assassinate local officials! It is claimed that the Rajneesh did not know, but I find it a bit hard to buy. The group also claims that all his diamonds and Rolls Royces were to show the absurdity of wealth, but I have trouble with that too. He wrote books on "Zen" under the name "Osho" too, but I find them often quite strange and half digested.

In any case, judge for yourself. A fascinating story and very well done series ...

Brad has a pretty good (and pretty funny) talk on the documentary ...

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-30-2018 at 02:58 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wild Wild Country is so good! Osho videos started me on an eastern spiritual path - granted, the caveat there is that I liked his “show” but I found his talks of little substance - so it led me to look elsewhere lol but a big part of my journey nonetheless.

Really fun watch.

A related blog on Tibetan Buddhist scandals:http://www.buddhism-controversy-blog.com/

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Thank you, Jundo!!
    I can't emphasize enough how important it is to know the signs of a cult:

1. Control of action
    2. Control of thought
    3. Control of feelings
    4. Control of information flow

You're right! RUN, DON'T WALK, away from a situation that does not honor you as a precious human being. Don't look back or second guess. Remember, psychopaths are very common. I've heard they're about 1 in 25.

I keep in mind the Kalama Sutta, ie, don't depend on someone/thing else to find the truth. Only what's within, that is beneficial to self and others.
    Nine bows.

Shinzan
    sattoday

i have started watching "wild wild country" and i think that the main focus of the story, besides the friction between church and state, is the danger of "cult of personality", especially where the 'leader' is selling himself as a way to "enlightenment", rather than on being a finger pointing to the moon, as it were....very dangerous this can be, especially when your leader leads you to assault the local populace with poison and force of numbers...while i don't agree with the local's gut reaction to "outside" beliefs, especially having been made fun of discussing buddhist principles (i wasn't proselytizing) in this case of osho it seems to have been well founded...what a cautionary tale....

Andrew Cohen, Surviving A Cult

I mistrust the label “enlightened”. I don’t think anyone can say they are an enlightened person. We all have moments of enlightenment intertwined with moments of human frailty and mundane existence. They are different sides of the same whole. Practice can help soften the edges and smooth out the extremes, but our humanness never goes away.

Sat2day
    Last edited by Troy; 04-15-2018 at 12:13 PM.

I remember this a little when it was happening many years ago but not aware of the details and depth of drama. While watching this documentary I kept asking myself would I have been succeptible to such a thing, especially when younger. The answer is no because of my ditrust for strong opiniions of any kind especially when young. But I then wondered if the right charismatic person could have misled me, I encountered a few in the 1960s but did feel uncomfortable and avoided them. However, I understand why others would be so influenced. From my perspecitve I regulary see others around me who follow faiths (and their charismatic leaders) and ask few questions. Is it human nature to be led? I do have empathy for the locals. Yes they do not like views different than theirs (probably why many moved there) but the cult's reactions and "revenge type behaviors" would elicit a push back from me and I think I am accepting of many other's views as long as they do not place them on me.

Fascinating and disturbing documentary.

Gassho
    Doshin
    st