Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kyonin's Talks on the "Song of the Jewel-Mirror Samadhi" (Hokyo Zanmai)

Hi guys,

Here is the new talk for this series. This time we only read a couple of deep and beautiful lines that give us a lot to ponder and, at the same time, to let go of.

Just to depict it in literary form is to stain it with defilement.
    It is bright just at midnight, it doesn't appear at dawn.
    It acts as a guide for beings, its use removes all pains.

What do you guys think of these lines? Any insight?

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Wow Kyonin, that was amazing. You were able to bring those lines so alive with meaning! I particularly liked your reference to the flower, about how we could break it down and analyze its parts but that would not help us appreciate its beauty and relevance to its surroundings. And the discussion of light and dark, like our Sandokai, how we can’t live in just one world or the other.

It’s amazing to feel the words of our ancestors touch us as you speak them, dancing over the same questions we ask today about why we do Zazen... how it guides us and relieves all suffering, while at the same time being itself nothing at all.

Deep bows for your teachings dear brother
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Wonderful! Lovely talk brother ... thank you. =)

Your words are like the clear blue sky.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Kyonin. That was great.

Since you asked for feedback. I am really enjoying this series of talks. I have deep appreciation for what you are able to pull out of this text. It is remarkable. I appreciated this last talk (part 4) and the discussion around the use of words to try to describe this. My Ango partner (Meitou) and I have been talking recently about words and trying to express our thoughts. We’ve both been finding that the deeper we go in this practice the less we feel the need to say. We debated why this is. Talked about not having the right words or perhaps not wanting to come down to firmly in a position. Today’s talk made me think that perhaps it really comes down to there’s nothing that needs to be said. Words seem to be inadequate.

One more bit of feedback. You don’t need to apologize for your English. Your English is fine and you express yourself very well.

I am looking forward to the next instalment.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 09-29-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

This is a wonderful talk Kyonin, deepest of bows to you for the clarity you bring to this text.
    I was so struck by your phrase 'quiet body and mind', and how that's all that we need when listening to the Dharma. This resonates so much with me, I often think of it as a type of osmosis, absorbing the meaning not with intellect, but directly through the skin into the heart and bones. My partner Tairin has said it all so well, I don't need to add anything else.
    You are a great communicator, a gifted teacher. Thank you so much.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Hey guys,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, I sometimes feel this practice fills us with silence which sometimes is enough to express ourselves. On the other hand, we need to talk in order to understand and listen to ourselves. My journey though these videos has been like a personal Ango. Tons of things have been happening and I have found refuge on the Hokyo Zanmai more than once.

It speaks to us in the language of the Buddha, which can't be expressed too much in words and more in contemplation.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Kyonin,

again, I enjoyed the world, you opened from this few words.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I am really enjoying spending time with this text, Kyonin.

Thank you for helping to unfold its meaning with your clear explanation.

One piece of feedback is that it might be helpful to include the lines you are referring to in the You Tube description in case people are watching it there rather than on the Treeleaf page.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Kokuu,

I think you are right! I'll get to that this week. For now the videos are private, which means they can only be viewed by those who have the link.

I shall make them public with some notes. Maybe I should also work on Spanish subtitles… but maybe I'll just record them again. Not sure.

But thanks, I'll get to work on your suggestion.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    For now the videos are private, which means they can only be viewed by those who have the link.

I
    You mean that the videos are "unlisted" I think. If they were "private," we could not see them here.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you. I really enjoyed this talk. I thought it was very clear and the pace was perfect.

Gassho

Sat today

Hello everyone,

Here is our next video on this series. Today we will discuss the lines:

Although it is not fabricated, it is not without speech.
    It is like facing a jewel mirror; form and image behold each other –
    You are not it, in truth it is you.

Please come sit with me

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Lovely talk brother, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Kyonin SAN.

Can you watch my Joke?Happy day

Kakunen
    Sat today
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saved to my playlist, thank you Kyonin.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

"...this mind does not even belong to me, this mind is just an reflection of what I am experiencing in life..."

Thank you for your guidance.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Wonderful. Thank you Kyonin

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Wonderful talk. Thank you Kyonin. I particularly appreciated the way you describe the paradox of our image in the mirror.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Thank you all

And thanks Kakunen. I really liked your joke

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12