Thread: Soto Zen monasteries in Japan

Gaman

Cool Soto Zen monasteries in Japan

Ohayou fellow Treeleafers,
    To make a long story short: I am having a tough time and am wondering if anybody can suggest a Soto Zen Monastery where lay people can stay and live the monastic life for a while. I am thinking 3-4 weeks, starting in April 2018.

A few questions in my mind are:
    - Are there particularly good places if you don’t speak Japanese?
    - Of those, is there a women specific one?
    - How much does this cost, roughly?
    - Is it a good idea if you are not 100% physically to even attempt this?
    - Has anybody got any experience in doing this? What did you think?

Being close to “touristy stuff” is totally not important btw. Secluded tucked away in a remote corner is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    To make a long story short: I am having a tough time and am wondering if anybody can suggest a Soto Zen Monastery where lay people can stay and live the monastic life for a while. I am thinking 3-4 weeks, starting in April 2018.

Being close to “touristy stuff” is totally not important btw. Secluded tucked away in a remote corner is fine
    Hello Gaman,

Hmmm. Would you write to Gesshin Greenwood at this email (bluecliffzensangha@gmail.com) and ask her, especially about your question for women. Given your comment about your reasons for going, and your physical condition, I am a little hesitant to make a recommendation without knowing your situation better. The conditions can vary from very rough, very hard and rustic (long Zazen, hard physical labor) to not demanding at all (basically, a hostel attached to a temple, not really a monastery, with short limited chance to try Zazen).

You can also look through the Soto-shu list of temples open to visits from foreigners. Some are just periodic Zazenkai, but some allow longer stays. The list is frequently changing, so please let me know if something looks interesting to you.

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...ner/index.html

I am sorry to be unhelpful.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-23-2018 at 06:41 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gaman
    Many thanks Jundo-sama. I shall write to her and see what she thinks, and then I’ll post a reply back here (with her permission).

Gassho,
    Fiona

(Haven’t sat today, but it’s only 6.30am)

Soto Zen monasteries in Japan

I recommend you to ask here.

http://jomanji.web.fc2.com/index_e.html

Jyomanji.

Head monk Koya can speak English well.

If you can call him,he will help you maybe.

I stayed there for half year.American monk and woman monk at there.

If you can’t stay there,he gives advice to you , about Japanese temple.

Please read homepage.

Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kakunen; 02-25-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Gaman
    Hello Kakunen, I remember your lovely posts of Jomanji! It looks fabulous, thanks so much for the recommendation.

Gaman
    I have heard back from Gesshin Greenwood, she says:

“I trained at Aichi Nisodo, a woman's monastery in Nagoya. However, given your situation, I wouldn't recommend it, as they only speak Japanese and it is very strict and physically strenuous. Toshoji monastery, in Okayama, is more accepting of foreigners, and they allow women. http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...gner/2-28.html

However, I highly suggest doing a retreat in the place where you are. There are many fine Zen centers in the United States which offer residential training options, such as Green Gulch Farm in northern California. It is very beautiful. Spirit Rock, also in Northern California, offers week-long meditation retreats. You will probably not get a calm or relaxing experience in Japan, but you will definitely get that in the U.S.”

Feeling very supported by you all. Thank you for your all your sound advice!
    Gaman

(Haven’t sat today, and haven’t helped anybody. And that is okay too, given that I have been in hospital for the last two weeks.)

I have been in hospital for the last two weeks

Sitting for your recuperation, Gaman. Especially if you have been in hospital, take care.

Kakunen is in retreat for much of the coming week, so may be hard to reach.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Hello Kakunen, I remember your lovely posts of Jomanji! It looks fabulous, thanks so much for the recommendation.
    Japan is beautiful country.

And lots of good monk who can speak English.
    And lots of monk from foreign country.

But you need to decide by yourself.

Also I know in Australia have good temple like Antaiji.
    And my teacher of past time Jinen was Zen tour at Australia.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/jinenzazen/a...s/6522324.html

You need to think carefully,different from monastery and temple.
    If you want to go monastery first time,you need to stay three month.

Anyway I think you need to focus your purpose.As I practice under Jundo,lots of temple in Japan but I am teached from Jundo.

If you want to come Japanese,I think Monk Koya helps you.
    Lots of people from foreign countries,Germany,US,Sweden,Brasil.
    And he knows lots temple and monastery for person who come from oversea.

I hope you will have good practice.

I will do 7 days Sesshin from today,so I can not access here.

Good luck.And touch your kids.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kakunen; 02-28-2018 at 05:13 PM.

I have heard back from Gesshin Greenwood, she says:

“I trained at Aichi Nisodo, a woman's monastery in Nagoya. However, given your situation, I wouldn't recommend it, as they only speak Japanese and it is very strict and physically strenuous. Toshoji monastery, in Okayama, is more accepting of foreigners, and they allow women. http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...gner/2-28.html

However, I highly suggest doing a retreat in the place where you are. There are many fine Zen centers in the United States which offer residential training options, such as Green Gulch Farm in northern California. It is very beautiful. Spirit Rock, also in Northern California, offers week-long meditation retreats. You will probably not get a calm or relaxing experience in Japan, but you will definitely get that in the U.S.”

Feeling very supported by you all. Thank you for your all your sound advice!
    Gaman

(Haven’t sat today, and haven’t helped anybody. And that is okay too, given that I have been in hospital for the last two weeks.)
    I respect Gesshin SAN.

But I don’t agree her opinion.
    You can get calm and relaxing experience in Japan.

Please watch this video at Antaiji at Japan!

Fun!

Aichi Nisodo and Toshiji is monastery.

Please think about different of monastery and temple and Zen center.

Sorry for bad English.

And Jundo explain difference of them.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 02-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Gaman
    Tiger dance!��
    Antaiji certainly looks like lots of fun!

Deep bows Kakunen for showing me, and encouraging me.

Enjoy sesshin,
    Fiona

NoSitting
    NoLAH
    NoGuiltAboutIt
    #ThisTooIsOurPractice

Tiger dance!��
    Antaiji was also 4am to 9pm straight 50 minute Zazen (except for meals) ...

http://antaiji.org/en/practice/schedule/#tab2

... other days, hard physical labor in the farm fields and cutting trees, too. Yes Kakunen?

Basically, a "monastery" is a boot camp for the training of young monks, usually for a year or two before they return to their family temples (the temples where their father is the head priest). Antaiji is a bit different, as it is more centered on foreigners and Japanese who are interested in Zazen, and is not such a training monastery.

A "temple" is now usually inherited from father to son, and is mostly concerned with performing funeral and ancestor commemoration rites for neighborhood parishioners. Only a minority of temples might have a sometime Zazen group. The temple that Kakunen mentioned, Jyomanji, is a bit different as it is trying to be more international, and has more of an active Zazen focus. There are a few others like that.

A "Zen Center" is really an idea from America, which is a place centered primarily on Zazen and lay practice. I consider Treeleaf a Zen Center. Some, like Tassajara at San Francisco Zen Center, may have more of a monastic atmosphere, although usually not as strict as the Japanese boot camp.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Tiger dance!��

Deep bows Kakunen for showing me, and encouraging me.

Enjoy sesshin,
    Fiona

NoSitting
    NoLAH
    NoGuiltAboutIt
    #ThisTooIsOurPractice
    Thank you for good word.

I enjoy Sesshin.

I share pictures at Jyomanji.

With Monk Mumon Scott from USA,Monk Shoei Bruno from Brazil and me

Head monk Koya.

Please see our calm smile^_^

When I started Zen journey at Antaiji three years ago,I can’t speak English,but now I can understand English a little.

Right now I am at Myotokuji,with head monk Furusaka who is a teacher of head temple Eiheiji and temple at Munich at German,so he can speak English,and training with woman monk from Germany.

If you are interesting about here ,please send PM for me.

I share video at Antaiji.My first practice for three years ago.

Good luck.
    And go with the flow.
    Like cloud and water.雲水

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 03-01-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Antaiji was also 4am to 9pm straight 50 minute Zazen (except for meals) ...

http://antaiji.org/en/practice/schedule/#tab2

... other days, hard physical labor in the farm fields and cutting trees, too. Yes Kakunen?

Basically, a "monastery" is a boot camp for the training of young monks, usually for a year or two before they return to their family temples (the temples where their father is the head priest). Antaiji is a bit different, as it is more centered on foreigners and Japanese who are interested in Zazen, and is not such a training monastery.

A "temple" is now usually inherited from father to son, and is mostly concerned with performing funeral and ancestor commemoration rites for neighborhood parishioners. Only a minority of temples might have a sometime Zazen group. The temple that Kakunen mentioned, Jyomanji, is a bit different as it is trying to be more international, and has more of an active Zazen focus. There are a few others like that.

A "Zen Center" is really an idea from America, which is a place centered primarily on Zazen and lay practice. I consider Treeleaf a Zen Center. Some, like Tassajara at San Francisco Zen Center, may have more of a monastic atmosphere, although usually not as strict as the Japanese boot camp.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Antaiji is very hard.

Please watch video.

My weight 75kg to 60kg for three month.

Jundo said to me Antaiji diet.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

I will log off here till 7th At March.
    Sorry and Take care.