Thread: An art forum note....

An art forum note....

Hi. Just a note.

In the coming weeks and months I will be posting on a variety of art related subjects in this forum. I’ll be inviting you to look with me into the influence that Asian art, especially the Taoist/Zen landscape painting traditions, had on the birth of modern western art, and the modern “eye”. This occurred at a time when trade, transportation, and mass reproduction, made Chinese and Japanese imagery widely available for the first time to painters like Vincent Van Gogh, who were rejecting the long established neo-classical world-view. These Asian imports opened up a new way of seeing to a generation of artists, who in turn opened up the way we all see, in surprising ways. It will be fun to illustrate those changes here, in pictures and stories.

Another topic we will be looking into is something Jundo spoke about during a recent Zazenkai... the flip-side of impermanence, where instead of seeing it as a tragic aspect of Samsara to be accepted and transcended, we can look with creative eyes to the wonder and necessity of change, and how this beautiful world of living form is traced by the endless, open, dance of change. How does Samara look when we learn to dance with it?

Finally I will be posting the next intallment on the six realms, the Bhavacakra, or Wheel of Becoming. This time we will be looking at the symbolic Beast Realm.

Please remember that the Art forum is for all members of Treeleaf. Please feel free to post any art projects you may be working on, and any subject that inspires you. If you have an art or craft idea and you would like to find a partner to explore it with you, please post here in this forum.

Thanks for reading

Gassho
    Richard

Sat today/LAH
    Last edited by RichardH; 02-19-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Ooh looking forward to all of these Richard, thank you!

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you, Richard.

Looking very much forward to it, too.
    I don't know how much recognisable 'art' there is in the things, I do. 'Art' is such a big word...
    I'll try sharing more of it. If not here, where else...

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Richard. This sounds fascinating. A couple of years ago I worked on some projects that produced music algorithmicly - so each time the piece was run it was unique and only existed in that moment. I was trying to explore what makes a piece recognizable as that piece and not something different. Is it still the same "thing" even though it is composed of different elements. So each song generation was impermanent and yet still kind of existed from run to run. Your post is kind of inspiring me to go back and look at that again.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhpsyc...in/dateposted/

Not sure if this link will work. The piece was occasioned by school shootings, chaos in government, and partisanship in USA governance.

Gassho
    meishin
    Sat Today LAH
    Last edited by Meishin; 02-22-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post

Not sure if this link will work. The piece was occasioned by school shootings. chaos in government, and partisanship in USA governance.

Gasho
    meishin
    Sat Today LAH
    Great work; Call me by my true names is a powerful piece, this strong image compliments it.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post

Not sure if this link will work. The piece was occasioned by school shootings, chaos in government, and partisanship in USA governance.

Gassho
    meishin
    Sat Today LAH
    Very nice Meishin. Thank you for sharing.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH