Thread: Rakusu sewing and Jukai schedule

Rakusu sewing and Jukai schedule

I've been practicing for over ten years and have received Jukai before, but I've been trying to see about taking them here. My biggest problem is to figure out when I am supposed to start sewing and when Jukai is roughly within a year. If I knew that rakes sewing began in July or September, or something like that, then I could plan ahead.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gassho!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbie View Post
    I've been practicing for over ten years and have received Jukai before, but I've been trying to see about taking them here. My biggest problem is to figure out when I am supposed to start sewing and when Jukai is roughly within a year. If I knew that rakes sewing began in July or September, or something like that, then I could plan ahead.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gassho!
    We usually begin with sewing and Precept reflections each September.

However, live gently today, in this moment. That is the most important.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Absolutely, my dear friend. How are you doing? I'm sorry my blood clots have kept me busy, and I've sat with thoughts toward your health and cancer a great deal.

With much love,

Hobbie

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We usually begin with sewing and Precept reflections each September.

However, live gently today, in this moment. That is the most important.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Yes ... and when September comes we will be here to help and support you along with sewing. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I'm looking forward to finally doing Jukai this year. I took the Five Precepts in the Kwan Um School of Zen in 2012 and again with a Korean monk outside of the Kwan Um School in 2016 but did not have to sew! I think getting the Precepts burn was less scary than sewing. I have a rakusu in progress that is started when I thought I'd do Jukai here, but I never finished it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#SatToday
    Last edited by SoR; 01-20-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Fixed typo kesa - > rakusu

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by SoR View Post
    I have a kesa in progress that is started when I thought I'd do Jukai here, but I never finished it.
    Hello SoR,

Typically in our tradition one sews the rakusu first, then receives permission from their teacher to sew the kesa. Also, sewing seems like a scary undertaking but it actually quite beautiful ... it teaches us a lot. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Oops. Typo on my part. I meant rakusu in progress.

#SatToday

Mp
    Oops. Typo on my part. I meant rakusu in progress.

#SatToday
    ... well, hold onto that and when Sept comes around you can start back up with the rest of the Jukaiees if you wish. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    ... well, hold onto that and when Sept comes around you can start back up with the rest of the Jukaiees if you wish. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Sounds like a plan!

-Sam

#SatToday

I'm looking forward to finally doing Jukai this year. I took the Five Precepts in the Kwan Um School of Zen in Zen in 2012 and again with a Korean monk outside of the Kwan Um School in 2016 but did not have to sew! I think getting the Precepts burn was less scary than sewing. I have a rakusu in progress that is started when I thought I'd do Jukai here, but I never finished it.

#SatToday

Seungsanh is certainly one of my favorite Zen “characters”. Curious as to why you’ve jumped into Soto.

Don’t meant to hijack the thread though.

ST,

Rakurei

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurei View Post
    Seungsanh is certainly one of my favorite Zen “characters”. Curious as to why you’ve jumped into Soto.

Don’t meant to hijack the thread though.

ST,

Rakurei
    Maybe this could be split into another thread? For me, a lot of it is balancing work and family life with getting to a Zen Center regularly.

I sit with a sort of non-denominational mindfulness group that is walking distance from my house in Queens once a week. That allows me to work from home on those days and get time with my son when he gets home from school. After practice, I'm back home before 9pm.

If I went to the Kwan Um School of Zen Center in the city, I'd be able to get there quickly from work, but would get home closer to 9:30pm and not see my kid. It's kind of exhausting to have to hang out at the office and still feel like I'm working, then get home late.

I really love Zen Master Seung Sahn's style, but meditation in the Kwan Um School isn't necessarily any different than Soto style. They would call the method "Clear Mind Meditation." The great Korean Zen Master Chinul would have called it "No Mind Meditation." While most of Korean Zen meditation practice is the hwadu style, this is not the practice in the Kwan Um School for the most part. There is a Koan curriculum, but it is not the object of meditation.

So, since Koan introspection wasn't my practice in the past, and hwadu never quite fit even after years of trying it, Shikantaza has always kind of been my main practice.