Thread: My Cancer Ango - 3 - Dukkha

My Cancer Ango - 3 - Dukkha

Hey Everyone,

This cancer and my upcoming surgery puts me face to face with Dukkha, "Suffering" in its Buddhist sense.

I usually define Dukkha this way, not as old age, sickness and death etc. themselves. Rather, Dukkha is ...

... sickness, but only when we refuse the condition …
    … old age, if we long for youth …
    … death, because we cling to life …
    … loss, when we cannot let go …

Our “dissatisfaction,” “disappointment,”‘ “unease” and “frustration” — Dukkha — arises as a state of mind, as our demands and wishes for how things “should be” or “if only would be for life to be content” differ from”the way things are.” Your “self” wishes this world to be X, yet this world is not X. That wide gap of “self” and “not self” is the source of Dukkha. Even happiness can be a source of Dukkha if we cling to the happy state, demand that it stay, are attached to good news, material successes, pleasures and the like, refusing the way life may otherwise go.
    Our Practice of Shikantaza closes the gap; not the least separation. Peace, Wholeness and Satisfaction result.

In the little Talk that follows, I also quote Master Dogen's advice on this, from his Shobogenzo-Shoji (Life and Death). Basically, he advises us not to run from death, nor toward it, and to realize that life and death is Nirvana itself. That doesn't mean that one can't take one's surgery or chemo, for one can. However, neither run from nor toward those either. They too are nirvana.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thanks you Jundo for sharing this. Thinking of you often and sending metta for all those suffering from ill health. Probably a bad mis-quote but didn't someone say "its not death I'm afraid of, its life!"

STMIZ / la

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Eishuu
    Thank you Jundo. Deep bows and much metta.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

gassho 2.jpg

coos

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you Jundo.

Standing all the way with you.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... A lovely talk.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you Jundo. May we find peace, embracing all conditions of life.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today lah

Thank you for your sharing Jundo, many deep bows and Metta for your courage on this journey. I had not heard you speak of your chances being down at 20% before but then, those are really just guesses and poor ones at that. The true stats are that you have a 50/50 chance!! You either stay or you go .

flowing along with you, gassho, Shokai

sat/LaH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat

Hi Jundo. You're in my thoughts and metta practice. Take care!

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Much Metta Jundo. Thank you for continuing to teach and "live out loud" through this experience.

May you be at peace.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Jundo, your continued effort to bring us teachings is very appreciated especially considering the circumstances. Much metta to you, to your family, and all who are suffering.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Thank you Jundo

Gassho Ishin
    Sat Today Lah
    Grateful for your practice

Thank you for this lesson. Gassho . Wishing you well in your surgery

Sat2day

Thank you, Jundo. These lessons are touching. You're in my thoughts and heart.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you again Jundo. Your wise words and honesty not only touch me, but in my everyday work I am with people who are suffering to a greater or lesser extent. I will take some of your thoughts and observations into my work practice as well as my Buddhist practice. Your courage to share will bring benefit to others I have no doubt
    Gassho
    Richard
    SAT/LAH

Jundo,

You are always in our hearts and thoughts. There is so much teaching in your words.

Deep bows

Gasho
    Mike/Toun
    SAT

Hello All, And _/|\_ Ten years ago I had no idea of birth and death--I was 56, weighed 260 lbs. and was stuck in a cycle of spend money I did not have. Seven years ago I came very close to death three times, and I mean ICU, cardiac, bleeding, stomach, 10 units of blood, four platelets, and kidney disease, all in the course of three months, poison, as I was experimented upon with antipsychotic drugs, and I began to meditate, counting breath on my own after reading The Idiots Guide to Buddhism. Four years ago an ugly old disease raised its ugly head causing level 10 pain 165 lbs, and new drugs including opiates and new injections, and today I take a new and more effective injectable, 1/5 the opiates, more effective medications,will soon have a new knee, I have a pacemaker, and I am 195 lbs. I cannot tell you that I am not afraid of pain, and I continue to meditate, Zazen--Shikantaza. I have a world of new friends with whom I often sit Zazen. I love my life, and this Ango I am gaining freedom from my spending cycle with the help of AA after 30 years of sobriety, and A Methodist Minister--I also pray for Jundo. I want to enter death someday peacefully. I Love my teacher who faces more than I can bare now, and I love my family.

Tai Shi
    sat today
    Gassho
    MY Love FOR JUNDO ROSHI, my teacher
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 12-11-2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling, clarification.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

thanks for those words and all the best for you, jundo!