Thread: Heart Sutra Translation

Heart Sutra Translation

I found this Heart Sutra translation online by Thich Nhat Hanh. He took some liberties with it and I was wondering what everyone thinks about it. Does it stay true to the teaching the original conveys? I am looking for a simple translation for my daily recitation in the modern vernacular. I know we have one in the chant book, but it is transcribed for chanting and I want one that reads more like prose.

——-

Avalokiteshvara
    while practicing deeply with
    the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore,
    suddenly discovered that
    all of the five Skandhas are equally empty,
    and with this realisation
    he overcame all Ill-being.

“Listen Sariputra,
    this Body itself is Emptiness
    and Emptiness itself is this Body.
    This Body is not other than Emptiness
    and Emptiness is not other than this Body.
    The same is true of Feelings,
    Perceptions, Mental Formations,
    and Consciousness.

“Listen Sariputra,
    all phenomena bear the mark of Emptiness;
    their true nature is the nature of
    no Birth no Death,
    no Being no Non-being,
    no Defilement no Purity,
    no Increasing no Decreasing.

“That is why in Emptiness,
    Body, Feelings, Perceptions,
    Mental Formations and Consciousness
    are not separate self entities.

The Eighteen Realms of Phenomena
    which are the six Sense Organs,
    the six Sense Objects,
    and the six Consciousnesses
    are also not separate self entities.

The Twelve Links of Interdependent Arising
    and their Extinction
    Ill-being, the Causes of Ill-being,
    the End of Ill-being, the Path,
    insight and attainment,

Whoever can see this
    no longer needs anything to attain.

Bodhisattvas who practice
    the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore
    see no more obstacles in their mind,
    and because there
    are no more obstacles in their mind,
    they can overcome all fear,
    destroy all wrong perceptions
    and realize Perfect Nirvana.

“All Buddhas in the past, present and future
    by practicing
    are all capable of attaining
    Authentic and Perfect Enlightenment.

“Therefore Sariputra,
    it should be known that
    is a Great Mantra,
    the most illuminating mantra,
    the highest mantra,
    a mantra beyond compare,
    the True Wisdom that has the power
    to put an end to all kinds of suffering.
    Therefore let us proclaim
    a mantra to praise
    the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore.

Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!
    Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!
    Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!”

Sat2day
    Last edited by Troy; 11-03-2017 at 05:18 PM.

In case it helps I just reformatted the text from the Chant book yesterday.

Avolokitesvara Bodhisattva, Awakened One of Compassion,
    in Prajna Paramita, theDeep Practice of Perfect Wisdom ◎
    perceived the emptiness of all five conditions,
    and was free of suffering.

O Shariputra, form is no other than emptiness,
    emptiness no other than form;
    form is precisely emptiness,
    emptiness precisely form.

Sensations, perceptions, formations and consciousness are also like this.

O Shariputra, all things are expressions of emptiness,
    not born, not destroyed, not stained, not pure;
    neither waxing nor waning.

Thus emptiness is not form; not sensation nor perception,
    not formation nor consciousness.

No eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind;
    no sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, nor object of mind;
    no realm of sight, no realm of consciousness;
    no ignorance, no end to ignorance;
    no old age and death,
    no cessation of old age and death;
    no suffering, nor cause or end to suffering;
    no path, no wisdom and no gain.

No gain – thus Boddhisattvas live this Prajna Paramita ◎
    with no hindrance of mind–
    no hindrance therefore no fear.

Far beyond all delusion, Nirvana is already here.

All past, present and future Buddhas
    live this Prajna Paramita ◎
    and realize supreme and complete enlightenment.

Therefore know that Prajna Paramita
    is the sacred mantra, the luminous mantra,
    the supreme mantra, the incomparable mantra
    by which all suffering is clear. This is no other than Truth.

Therefore set forth the Prajna Paramita mantra.

Set forth this mantra and proclaim: ◎

(1x)
    Gate! Gate! (Already Gone, Gone)
    Paragate! (Already Gone Beyond)
    Parasamgate! (Already Fully Beyond)
    Bodhi! Svaha (So-wah-kah)! ◎ (Awakening, Rejoice)

I know that there has been some controversy about Thich Nhat Hanh's new translation.

Gassho, shoshin

Sat-LaH

Quote Originally Posted by shoshin View Post
    In case it helps I just reformatted the text from the Chant book yesterday.

Avolokitesvara Bodhisattva, Awakened One of Compassion,
    in Prajna Paramita, theDeep Practice of Perfect Wisdom ◎
    perceived the emptiness of all five conditions,
    and was free of suffering.

O Shariputra, form is no other than emptiness,
    emptiness no other than form;
    form is precisely emptiness,
    emptiness precisely form.

Sensations, perceptions, formations and consciousness are also like this.

O Shariputra, all things are expressions of emptiness,
    not born, not destroyed, not stained, not pure;
    neither waxing nor waning.

Thus emptiness is not form; not sensation nor perception,
    not formation nor consciousness.

No eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind;
    no sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, nor object of mind;
    no realm of sight, no realm of consciousness;
    no ignorance, no end to ignorance;
    no old age and death,
    no cessation of old age and death;
    no suffering, nor cause or end to suffering;
    no path, no wisdom and no gain.

No gain – thus Boddhisattvas live this Prajna Paramita ◎
    with no hindrance of mind–
    no hindrance therefore no fear.

Far beyond all delusion, Nirvana is already here.

All past, present and future Buddhas
    live this Prajna Paramita ◎
    and realize supreme and complete enlightenment.

Therefore know that Prajna Paramita
    is the sacred mantra, the luminous mantra,
    the supreme mantra, the incomparable mantra
    by which all suffering is clear. This is no other than Truth.

Therefore set forth the Prajna Paramita mantra.

Set forth this mantra and proclaim: ◎

(1x)
    Gate! Gate! (Already Gone, Gone)
    Paragate! (Already Gone Beyond)
    Parasamgate! (Already Fully Beyond)
    Bodhi! Svaha (So-wah-kah)! ◎ (Awakening, Rejoice)

I know that there has been some controversy about Thich Nhat Hanh's new translation.

Gassho, shoshin

Sat-LaH
    That is awesome! Thank you for doing that! I like that it is used by our sangha and in the modern vernacular. I am trying to build some consistency and not be all over the place. Gassho

Sat2day

I wanted to add that reading his discussion on the Heart Sutra in "the Heart of Understanding" really helped me develop my understand of the Sutra. In case it helps here is his earlier translation - the one from that book:

The Bodhisattva Avalokita, while moving in the deep course of Perfect Understanding, shed light on the five skandhas and found them equally empty. After this penetration, he overcame all pain.

"Listen, Shariputra, form is emptiness, emptiness is form, form does not differ from emptiness, emptiness does not differ from form. The same is true with feelings, perceptions, mental formations, and consciousness.

"Hear, Shariputra, all dharmas are marked with emptiness; they are neither produced nor destroyed, neither defiled nor immaculate, neither increasing nor decreasing. Therefore, in emptiness there is neither form, nor feeling, nor perception, nor mental formations, nor consciousness; no eye, or ear, or nose, or tongue, or body, or mind, no form, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch, no object of mind; no realms of elements (from eyes to mind-consciousness); no interdependent origins and no extinction of them (from ignorance to old age and death); no suffering, no origination of suffering, no extinction of suffering, no path; no understanding, no attainment.

"Because there is no attainment, the bodhisattvas, supported by the Perfection of Understanding, find no obstacles for their minds. Having no obstacles, they overcome fear, liberating themselves forever from illusion and realizing perfect Nirvana. All Buddhas in the past, present, and future, thanks to this Perfect Understanding, arrive at full, right, and universal Enlightenment.

"Therefore, one should know that Perfect Understanding is a great mantra, is the highest mantra, is the unequalled mantra, the destroyer of all suffering, the incorruptible truth. A mantra of Prajnaparamita should therefore be proclaimed. This is the mantra:

"Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha."

Gassho, shoshin

SaT-LaH
    Last edited by Shinshi; 11-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    That is awesome! Thank you for doing that! I like that it is used by our sangha and in the modern vernacular. I am trying to build some consistency and not be all over the place. Gassho

Sat2day
    Thanks,I did it because I wanted to memorize the Treeleaf version. So my motivation was the same as yours. Funny that you asked for it the day after I decided to do it.

Gassho, shoshin

SaT-LaH

Thank you Shoshin. I like that one too. I might have to add The Heart of Understanding to my reading list. There are some recent threads here at Treeleaf about the Heart Sutra that I have not read, but I plan to do so soon. What got me started was Domyo Burk’s discussion about it on her podcast. I am really enjoying her series of talks in general.

Sat2day

Thank you Shoshin. I like that one too. I might have to add The Heart of Understanding to my reading list. There are some recent threads here at Treeleaf about the Heart Sutra that I have not read, but I plan to do so soon. What got me started was Domyo Burk’s discussion about it on her podcast. I am really enjoying her series of talks in general.

Sat2day
    Thich Nhat Hanh's explanation of emptiness was the first one that made me see it a bit..
    "the heart of understanding "is about the old translation. The translation with commentaries about his new version is called "the other shore"

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Quote Originally Posted by shoshin View Post
    Thanks,I did it because I wanted to memorize the Treeleaf version. So my motivation was the same as yours. Funny that you asked for it the day after I decided to do it.

Gassho, shoshin

SaT-LaH
    Yes our motivations are the same. That is an awesome coincidence. Gives me an extra boost of motivation

Sat2day

Quote Originally Posted by aprapti View Post
    Thich Nhat Hanh's explanation of emptiness was the first one that made me see it a bit..
    "the heart of understanding "is about the old translation. The translation with commentaries about his new version is called "the other shore"
    Thanks for the clarification Aprapti. Yes, I love Thich Nhat Hanh. His books started me on this path. I have great respect for him.

Sat2day

Check out RedPine / Bill Port ers version. I chant Tree leaf one and his alternatly.

Gassho,
    Sattoday
    LentAHand

Geoff.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Not particularly prone to chanting, but if anything is, Heart Sutra is worth doing. Quirks in translation often aren't worth the effort, they don't gain traction. I did sit today, and tomorrow i have a grueling retreat, not sure if i can handle it. Either way i need to make a connection with people so here goes.

SAT TODAY

NOT MUCH TO SAY

BOWING BEFORE ALL YOU BUDDHAS-TO-BE

Thank you Getchi. I do like Red Pine. I have not read his Heart Sutra commentaries yet though

Han Sen good luck on your retreat!

Sat2day

Hi,

I second the Red Pine translation with commentary, as he goes line by line and word by words explaining history and meaning. Not every scholar would agree on all points, but I found it pretty darn good.

Tanahashi Sensei had a book on the Heart Sutra recently which I found a bit confused, and very hit and miss.

I am not sure I approve TNH's phrasing some places, e.g., "this Body itself is Emptiness". All form, why just "this body?" I would be curious as to his reasoning. Also, why "Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore" instead of "the Perfection of Wisdom/Prajna Paramita"? Some other phrases also seem a bit off.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi,

I second the Red Pine translation with commentary, as he goes line by line and word by words explaining history and meaning. Not every scholar would agree on all points, but I found it pretty darn good.

Tanahashi Sensei had a book on the Heart Sutra recently which I found a bit confused, and very hit and miss.

I am not sure I approve TNH's phrasing some places, e.g., "this Body itself is Emptiness". All form, why just "this body?" I would be curious as to his reasoning. Also, why "Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore" instead of "the Perfection of Wisdom/Prajna Paramita"? Some other phrases also seem a bit off.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    i second all three opinions, Jundo. I did not understand at all why TNH changed the former version. about body in stead of form he writes:

"The essence of the Heart Sutra lies in the formula: This body itself is emptiness, and emptiness itself is this body. If we can understand this phrase, it will not be difficult to understand the rest of the sutra.
    The word rupa in Sanskrit is usually translated as “form,” hence: form is emptiness and emptiness is form. Here, rupa, as one of the five skandhas, specifically refers to the body—and by extension, to living matter. This is why, in this translation, we have replaced the word “form” with “body.” " page 37 of "the other shore" .

Coos

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

The Order of Buddhist Contemplatives founded by Jiyu Kennett translated and converted it into a hymn style recitation. Originally, she composed an organ piece to go with it which can be heard here:

http://everydayzen.org/teachings/201...3-jiyu-kennett

They currently just recite it without music and an audio clip is here under “Scripture of Great Wisdom”: http://throssel.org.uk/daily-scriptures/

I have mixed feelings about the OBC version, I don’t like how it has a Christian feel to the way they do things.

Simon says, Sit.

Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for the Sangha.
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Here is a link to the Red Pine translation if anyone would like to take a look

http://appamada.pbworks.com/f/Heart%...Red%20Pine.pdf

Gassho, Allan

Sat-LaH
    Last edited by Shinshi; 11-04-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Heart Sutra Translation

Thank Jundo and everyone for your input. I agree it feels a little off, but I am bit of a novice so don’t really trust my feelings. That is why I asked. I think I will stick with the version used by our sangha for my daily recitation during Ango to keep things simple. I have several unfinished books in my library and was happy to discover one was Awaking of the Heart by TNH. It has commentaries on several of the more famous sutras. One is the Heart Sutra. So, I will start there and perhaps move on to Red Pine. I enjoyed his translation as well. Thank you all

Sat2day/ and happy to add LAH for the first time today
    Last edited by Troy; 11-04-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Thank you, Shoshin.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

All the translations have some merit but I like Treeleaf's best as it chants better than others. (Plus I have it memorized!) It's a good thing to use as a tool to practice mindfulness as if my mind wonders, I forget where I was in the chant or what's next.
    Sat today/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thank you, Shoshin.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Gassho, Allan

Sat-LaH

As one of my Ango vows, I said that I would learn, explore, more about The Heart Sutra, and The Diamond Sutra. I have re-read, and rer-read Thich Naht Hanh's commentary on the heart sutra, and read his translation of The Heart Sutra, 2014. I am reading Red Pine's commentary, very slow going for one as inexperienced as me, and only now found "a translation" of The Diamond Sutra. Where does one know more about emptiness? I have sought to know more as in acceptance of old age, not old age in understanding my own frail body at age 66, and unlike some, my body is frail. I seek liberation from fear, so fear, and not fear, form is emptiness, emptiness is form, so my own emptiness might begin a process, maybe a chain of ideas as in Thich Nhat Hanh, and finding understanding of old age in Red Pine, but I believe all is for a while constant re-reading toward some acceptance.

Tai Shi
    sat today
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by TomSchulte View Post
    All the translations have some merit but I like Treeleaf's best as it chants better than others. (Plus I have it memorized!) It's a good thing to use as a tool to practice mindfulness as if my mind wonders, I forget where I was in the chant or what's next.
    Sat today/LAH
    Tom, the most beautiful and honest Heart Sutra recitation that I have even heard was yours when we were together in Nebraska. (3:00 mark). Lovely. 7

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Gassho, Allan

Sat-LaH

Tom, the most beautiful and honest Heart Sutra recitation that I have even heard was yours when we were together in Nebraska. (3:00 mark). Lovely. 7

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Gassho

Sat2day

Mp
    Hey folks,

I just saw this as a Youtube suggestion ... the Heart Sutra is beautiful is so many ways. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey folks,

I just saw this as a Youtube suggestion ... the Heart Sutra is beautiful is so many ways. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Thank you for posting that Shingen. That was lovely.

Gassho, Allan

SaT-LaH

Hey folks,

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Beautiful!

Sat2day

Hey folks,

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    That's wonderful, Shingen. Thank you

Gassho
    Washin
    ST

Eishuu
    I recite a version I found in a book by Bernie Glassman, mostly because it's handy. I don't think it's much different to the Treeleaf version - maybe just in a few words here and there. If I can't find the book I recite the one I memorised in the FWBO, which is quite beautiful. I do find that chanting the Treeleaf version has a different effect on my mind than just reading aloud...my mind is much stiller after the rhythmic chanting.

Am happy to post the Bernie Glassman version if anyone is interested but I don't think it's much different.

Tai Shi, I love the Diamond Sutra although I haven't read it for years. I think this is the version I read https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamond-Sut...sutra+hui+neng

This is my favourite quote from the sutra - I had it on the back of the bathroom door for years:

Thus shall you view this fleeting world:
    A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
    A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
    A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

It would be a wonderful sutra to study here sometime....

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH
    Last edited by Eishuu; 11-07-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Thank you Lucy. I struggle with the chanting because I don’t know how to pronounce some of the words very well, so I get distracted with that. I have heard from others as well that chanting brings stillness. Hoping it will be the same for me one day too. Deep bows

Sat2day

Thank you Lucy. I struggle with the chanting because I don’t know how to pronounce some of the words very well, so I get distracted with that. I have heard from others as well that chanting brings stillness. Hoping it will be the same for me one day too. Deep bows

Sat2day
    I decided that I will create a very easy (and a bit irreverent .... you will see) pronunciation guide to the Heart Sutra. I saw one in Japan like it, but not in English. Stand by.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

I decided that I will create a very easy (and a bit irreverent .... you will see) pronunciation guide to the Heart Sutra. I saw one in Japan like it, but not in English. Stand by.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Awesome! Thank you so much

Sat2day

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Okay, a little crazy, but here it is.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-irreverent%29

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Okay, a little crazy, but here it is.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-irreverent%29

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Crazy good! That is really awesome. Thank you for working that out Jundo.

Gassho, Allan

Sat-LaH

(my first post!)

Hey all - loving this discussion of the Heart Sutra!

Here's a version I've been luckily exposed to:

A reminder that as dry as zen can be - it's always vibrantly living just a hairsbreadth away!

Gassho,
    Ar (Adam Rehn on the insight timer group)

Sat today

Hello Ar,

Love it! Definitely worth the 5-year wait.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Love the video Ar and welcome!

Sat2day

Haha they were certainly having fun with it! Along with the stuffed animals! Lol

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Joyo
    Thank you everyone for posting and contributing to this thread. I can't help but feel a bit guilty as I read them, as chanting the Heart Sutra has not been part of my practice for a very long time.

Life gets busy and I forget. I am going to add the Heart Sutra to my practice again, even if it's only several times a week.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today