Thread: November 3rd-4th, 2017 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

November 3rd-4th, 2017 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

reMINDer: Daylight Savings has moved back in Europe, not yet in America.

Today's Talk is based on some pages of Master Dogen's Diary of his Travels in China "HOKYOKI"
    (text below)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 54am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/novem...kyoki-part-ii/

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 11-15-2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Reading Text for Today's Talk: Hokyoki (Journal of My Study In China) by Master Eihei Dogen - Part II (Pages 8 to 12)

We continue this series of talks on a text by Dogen which is not so commonly the topic of Dharma Talks, but which contains a detailed record of Dogen's own lessons and interactions with his Teacher in China, Master Tiāntóng Rújěng (天童如淨; Japanese: Tendō Nyōjo). Dogen was then a young student who went to travel (by boat, across deadly seas, not airliner) seeking an answer to many questions. This is the record of Dogen's remembrances of much of the advice and guidance he received on those questions from his own Teacher.

I thought that we might spend a few months with the text, taking it a few pages at a time. Not all the advice is something one need agree with in modern times, maybe (based on his own later Teachings) some of it even Dogen did not take to heart. However, let us see what we can find.

The most readable version is Tanhashi Sensei's translation in his book "Enlightenment Unfolds", a collection of various writings by Dogen. If you do not have the book, I created a PDF file (about 13 pages) with the entire Hokyoki, which can be used for this limited purpose.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HU_...ew?usp=sharing

I am going to read from page 8 through 12 today if there is time. It is a grabbag of topics, so let's see what we find.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday(LAH)
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-13-2020 at 04:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo,

I will be there live with Mokugyo and Bell ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I will try to sit .

I don’t know about my schedule at tomorrow.

Sorry for bad English.

Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!

I will be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you, Jundo. I will be there two-way, tech allowing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    I will OD over the following mornings.

STM

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Jundo. I will be there live one-way.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Ah . Doh . Stupido. I know see the fixation on Okey Cokey. Hokyoki ? Only taken a year duh.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    I will try to sit .

I don’t know about my schedule at tomorrow.

Sorry for bad English.

Sat today

I injured my back yesterday.So I need to go hospital,after go hospital,I will sit on one way.

Sat today.
    Nine bows and Gassho

I will try to join in live at some point.. We have a house full of guests tonight. Deep bows.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    LAH

Mp
    Hello folks,

Here is the link for tonights zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...pwsp5bi56gsvie

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Worked too late to make even the second half of this one, will sit over the weekend With you all in spirit.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thanks to everyone. Jundo...love and metta.

Gassho
    Doshin
    st/lah

Thank you all. A beautiful zazenkai. The talk was moving. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you all.

Buddha Chicken to the rescue!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, chicken, kitty, and everyone ... what a lovely zazenkai. Much love!

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAh

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you funky chickens and Bodhisattvas all!
    Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you, dear Sangha.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Thank you all who sat and will sit. I went back and watched the teisho. Our class of 2013 reading this month is very timely. The Frig died at 2:46pm and has been emptied out. The memorial will be held Wednesday when the replacement is delivered.

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Just catching up on the missed sections now. Thank you Sangha,..... my lightning, dew drop, and flowing cloud friends. An arc from source to source, a leap, a flash of colour, a dance.

Daizan
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    I injured my back yesterday.So I need to go hospital,after go hospital,I will sit on one way.

Sat today.
    Nine bows and Gassho
    Metta to you Kakunen
    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today.Lah
    Grateful for your practice

Thank you all. Thank you for this talk Jundo. Being a chicken and letting everyone see your feathers makes you a rooster in my book.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today/lah
    Grateful for your practice

So grateful for a teacher who is a real human being. Thank you, Jundo. Hang in there!

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat Today LAH

Eishuu
    Thank you all. Great to be studying Dogen together. Love the chicken dance and nice to see a cat participating! Am also very grateful to have a teacher who is a real human being. Much metta to you Jundo and to your family.

Kakunen, hope your back gets better.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Many thoughts and many emotions during the Dharma talk to treasure and take with me this week.
    Thank you Jundo,
    Thank you all.

Gassho
    Marcus
    SatToday/LAH

Quite the wild roller coaster we are on together in this life. I'm so grateful to be able to cling to you all and scream as we go. (Or share Chinese food, and stuff all together into the back of an Uber) Thank you Jundo Roshi for being the catalyst that allowed the universe to flow in this particular manner ❤️Deep Bows.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you all.
    Thank you, Jundo, for the moving talk. Metta for all

Gassho
    Washin
    sat / lah

Sat time-shifted via the Treeleaf now option. Took me a couple of days.
    Sat/lah

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

I will view the Zazenkai today, set aside Red Pine's Commentary for the moment, a week or so, return to Thich Nhat Hanh's Commentary thinking there is something I missed in my Ango Vows, and Certainly spend some much needed time with this Zazenkai. Thank you.

Tai Shi
    sat today/lah
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

I'm with Tom !

Sat over the last few mornings, bit by bit, sit by sit, the time warp continuum continuums. Now is always now, even when its later now or now later.

Sorry too much reading ! Never enough zen.

SZIZTM / la

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Really beautiful Zazenkai and very moving talk. Thank you to all.

As far as jokes go...

When my uncle was dying, the doctor told us to massage his back with lard.
    He went downhill really quickly after that...

Deep bows to a wonderful sangha
    Kokuu

Thank you all. So much.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat with you today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I laughed, I cried, I sat, chanted, did kinhin, the hokey cokey and the funky chicken. Where else but Treeleaf could all this happen! Thank you Jundo and all who participated and enabled the rest of us to watch online. I am mortified to admit that I could not think of a single joke that could be told in decent company
    Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

Sat with you all yesterday afternoon.
    Thank you all.

Gassho
    Patrick
    Sat today/LAH

Sent from my 5056I using Tapatalk

Thank you all. Jundo - get well soon; I'm very grateful to this sangha and to you Jundo for all of your teaching and humor

Gassho,

Rish
    -st/lah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Jundo's talk is now available on the podcast. Sorry for being pokey this month.

https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/novem...kyoki-part-ii/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Pokey!

Home-large-pokey.png

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Some days you think something is bothering you and you go sit
    - and meet the Buddha chicken.
    Thank you all and deep bows.
    Gassho,
    Jika
    #chickenedtoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today