Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: FEELING LOST AROUND THE COMMUNITY? Contact our "SANGHA BUDDHIES"

  1. #1

    FEELING LOST AROUND THE COMMUNITY? Contact our "SANGHA BUDDHIES"

    Dear All, and especially New Members,

    Are you feeling a little lost wandering the halls of our Forum? Hard to find things? Wondering about some of our activities and how to participate?

    Please feel free to contact one or more of the "Sangha Buddhies" volunteers below and they can help. They are older members who are all nice folks, and would like to show you around, help you find things around here, answer basic questions. Always nice to make a new friend or two.

    Just drop them a PM any time (links provided):

    I am going to ask each of our volunteers to write a few sentences about themself, which I will post.

    Ishin (Georgia, USA)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/member.php?14140-Ishin
    I'm a father of three and a medical professional living in rural Georgia. Treeleaf provides me with the opportunity to practice and study Zen with like minded individuals in a way that wouldn't be available to me otherwise. Our vast halls can be a bit daunting at first, so don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help.
    Myoho (Holland)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/member.php?13975-MyoHo
    Hi, I am Peter (MyoHo). 43 years old, married and we have 3 wonderful kids. We live in Holland, I am Dutch speaking. Once a soldier then an airline pilot but now stay at home dad/Tenzo running a busy household which is also mainly my daily practice. I like to keep things simple. Sewing, studying the Kesa and the silence between the notes, that make the music of our lives.
    Troy (Missouri, USA)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/member.php?14208-Troy
    Hi my name is Troy. I have been sitting Zazen off and on for about four years now. I learned to sit Soto style from Jundo and others here at Treeleaf. Prior to that I practiced mostly on my own with visits to the local temple every now and then. I am glad to be here practicing with a supportive and caring community.
    KellyRok (Pennsylvania, USA)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/memb...12152-KellyRok
    I have been practicing Zen since 2007; but officially joined Treeleaf in 2008. I have held many jobs; but the most important one has been as a stay at home mom to two amazing boys (14 and 16). I enjoy music, reading, and hiking. Treeleaf has always been “here” for me even though my family has moved to 6 different places in the U.S. since my kids were born.
    Meitou (Sardinia, Italy)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/member.php?15859-Meitou
    My name is Meitou, I've been practicing Buddhism for eight years and a member of Treeleaf since February 2017. Originally from Britain, I live on the island of Sardinia with my husband and four cats, speak English and Italian, love to read and paint and would be happy to help you find your away around this wonderful community.
    Zenmei (Arkansas, USA)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/member.php?15602-Zenmei
    I’m a father of 3 living in Arkansas, USA. I’m interested in addiction recovery and how we can apply Buddhist principles to alleviate that suffering. I’m oddly drawn to sewing the Buddha’s robe. I’m more than happy to help out with navigating around Treeleaf, or just talking about practice or life in general (not that there’s a difference).
    Gassho to All, J

    SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-28-2020 at 01:10 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  2. #2
    Thank you for directing me to this page. I have learned that I can bookmark a page like this and see it again. Ah, the beginning of a pattern! That is good! I have learned what ST and satoday means and that you would ask that we do that before posting. I do not yet know what lah means at the end of many posts. Each day is an adventure. I am setting up my little corner for sitting. It is best for me to do it the same place each day when possible. Not because the teachings require it, but because that is how my particular brain works. My practice for the last two days has been hours of samu in the pottery studio making bowls for a charity event. Gassho to the helpers listed above, and to all, Marian

  3. #3
    Marian;
    See the initial post in this thread for the meaning of LAH (Lend a Hand)

    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

  4. #4
    Yes, here you go, Marian

    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post199351

    Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

  5. #5
    Hi old friends and new. Although I'm "old" member in more ways than one, because I was raised with adding machines, drafting boards, typewriters, slide rules, and TV, we seemed to have survived in 1974 when I graduated from college. However, about 1980, computers began to hit the campuses, and by 1993 when I earned my last degree, computers had become the norm at universities. Part of the reason I failed to "be renewed" in my last teaching stint was my inability with computers, the other being my insistence on a personal approach to teaching with a strong disbelief against "grading." In the two most important teaching jobs I had in South Dakota I blanket graded classes with A and B grades passing everyone who came to class and "did" the work. However, I myself never really mastered the computer. My wife and I bought one about the time my little one was born, and though they became complete masters of the things, I have always treated them as glorified typing machines. Please, calm poetry needs help to navigate and to understand the simplest ideas in computers. For example, I rely highly on the written "word" because that was how I was trained. I'm a trained writer not a computer "kid." I need help. Thank you.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 07-11-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: clarification
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

  6. #6
    I will say this, that I doubted my own computer ability, but with the aid of HP software I changed the bios in my computer with no difficulty and remembered an old password which was long out of reach. I am not so computer illiterate and just sometimes get lost in the maze of topics and threads on our Forum, and do wonder about those in need of Zen and our compassion who do not have skills. So be it, Treeleaf is truly a training camp for as Jundo would say, "All of life is a Temple." He is my teacher and I have learned from my wonderful wife and compassionate caregiver not to judge doctors who do good and make promises because they only hope the best for their patients. All doctors have pledged their lives with specialized training and sometimes outstanding additional degrees and outside work with those unable to pay. They all give long hours and great sacrifice to home and family so that others may live, and as Marjorie says, "I could not do it."

    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

  7. #7
    Taishi;

    It's good to see that you now have a more balanced perception of the Sangha concept that your meds are sorted out. One small Correction if I may, "All of Life is Our Temple."

    My sincerest best wishes to you and family'

    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

  8. #8
    Hello All,

    I'm new here. Just a quick question. I sat last evening and on the calendar there was a link that says, "Treeleaf NOW 2.0" then a link that connected to Zoom. For this mornings sit, I clicked the sitting room link and it took me to Google Hangouts but no one was there. I then clicked the link that I used last evening and was able to sit with someone. Are the scheduled sits occurring via Zoom only or are they occurring via Google Hangouts, too?

    Gassho

  9. #9
    Hi Steven

    Google Hangouts is no more so all sits are occurring via Zoom now. We are, however, still in the process of making sure that all links point to Zoom rather than Hangouts.

    I will message Sekishi (our cyberpriest!) to let him know.

    Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi Steven

    Google Hangouts is no more so all sits are occurring via Zoom now. We are, however, still in the process of making sure that all links point to Zoom rather than Hangouts.

    I will message Sekishi (our cyberpriest!) to let him know.

    Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Wonderful, thank you, Kokuu! _/|\_

  11. #11
    Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Steven View Post
    Wonderful, thank you, Kokuu! _/|\_
    Hi Steven,

    As we transition from Google Hangouts to Zoom, we are unfortunately still using both. I wish this were not so (because it is super confusing), but for at least the next week or two, it is the situation we are stuck with.

    Here is my best understanding of where things stand today.

    The short version: except for the Zazenkai and a few sittings and meetings, most get-togethers are still on Hangouts in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/

    The longer version:

    - The Friday Zazenkai uses Zoom. A link and meeting ID will always be posted in the Zazenkai thread.
    - Most scheduled daily sittings still use the Hangouts-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/
    - Some scheduled daily sittings (Onkai's and mine) are testing the Zoom-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in the Treeleaf NOW 2.0 testing area: https://www.treeleaf.org/now2/
    - Most of the Ango meetings are using the Hangouts-based "Meeting Room" in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/
    - My Ango meeting (Thurdays) is testing the Zoom-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in the Treeleaf NOW 2.0 testing area: https://www.treeleaf.org/now2/

    It is my hope that we will be able to complete the migration to Zoom in the next week, at which point there will be an announcement about it and the old Treeleaf NOW will go away along with any use of Hangouts.

    I hope that makes sense.

    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志

    As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

  12. #12


    I think Zoom is way easier. That's just my experience.

    Gassho
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi Steven,

    As we transition from Google Hangouts to Zoom, we are unfortunately still using both. I wish this were not so (because it is super confusing), but for at least the next week or two, it is the situation we are stuck with.

    Here is my best understanding of where things stand today.

    The short version: except for the Zazenkai and a few sittings and meetings, most get-togethers are still on Hangouts in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/

    The longer version:

    - The Friday Zazenkai uses Zoom. A link and meeting ID will always be posted in the Zazenkai thread.
    - Most scheduled daily sittings still use the Hangouts-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/
    - Some scheduled daily sittings (Onkai's and mine) are testing the Zoom-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in the Treeleaf NOW 2.0 testing area: https://www.treeleaf.org/now2/
    - Most of the Ango meetings are using the Hangouts-based "Meeting Room" in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/
    - My Ango meeting (Thurdays) is testing the Zoom-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in the Treeleaf NOW 2.0 testing area: https://www.treeleaf.org/now2/

    It is my hope that we will be able to complete the migration to Zoom in the next week, at which point there will be an announcement about it and the old Treeleaf NOW will go away along with any use of Hangouts.

    I hope that makes sense.

    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    This makes sense, Sekishi. Thank you for the clarification.

    Gassho

  14. #14
    Member Seishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi Steven,

    As we transition from Google Hangouts to Zoom, we are unfortunately still using both. I wish this were not so (because it is super confusing), but for at least the next week or two, it is the situation we are stuck with.

    Here is my best understanding of where things stand today.

    The short version: except for the Zazenkai and a few sittings and meetings, most get-togethers are still on Hangouts in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/

    The longer version:

    - The Friday Zazenkai uses Zoom. A link and meeting ID will always be posted in the Zazenkai thread.
    - Most scheduled daily sittings still use the Hangouts-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/
    - Some scheduled daily sittings (Onkai's and mine) are testing the Zoom-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in the Treeleaf NOW 2.0 testing area: https://www.treeleaf.org/now2/
    - Most of the Ango meetings are using the Hangouts-based "Meeting Room" in Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/
    - My Ango meeting (Thurdays) is testing the Zoom-based "Scheduled Sitting Room" in the Treeleaf NOW 2.0 testing area: https://www.treeleaf.org/now2/

    It is my hope that we will be able to complete the migration to Zoom in the next week, at which point there will be an announcement about it and the old Treeleaf NOW will go away along with any use of Hangouts.

    I hope that makes sense.

    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    I would also add that anyone wanting sit with the morning unscheduled but almost scheduled Euro Crew Sit in the FSR, we've been beta testing Zoom via the now2 link for a while now, should anyone wish to join us. Although we start at irregular intervals there is normally someone sitting between 0730 and 0830 Central European Time. Usual crew would be me, Kotei, Ryudo, Richard and Neal please feel free to join us. Issac from South Korea has joined us in the past. Issac if you wondered where we've gone PM me and I'll send the NOW2 FSR Zoom link.

    Sat


    Seishin

    Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

  15. #15
    Shokai, I stand corrected and with great pleasure and compassion to all who seek Buddha is our Refuge, Dharma is our Refuge, Sangha is our Refuge, "All Of Life Is 'Our' Temple." This has been the case since I opened my hands to thought, since I sat quietly counting breathe, since sat with empty thought, since just sitting, Shikantaza. I have found my posts full of myself, and I am quite concerned about my puffed up "know it all" attitude. I concern myself with what I think I know. I am sincerely concerned about my annoying attitude when the solution for me plainly to sit Shikantaza-- even use of Japanese words is conceited. I will write in threads where I know a little, Poetry, and I invite anyone who will to come to Poetry-- try your writing hand because so many great poets never, never set a foot in formal study or studied entirely different subjects or were homeschooled-- one of the first American poets-- Anne Bradstreet wrote verses anthologized in almost every American Literature anthology. As a woman in precolonial America-- she remains one of the voices that began North American tradition. As a woman little was recognized until the 1980s.
    Taishi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 03-24-2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Addendum
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

  16. #16

    FEELING LOST AROUND THE COMMUNITY? Contact our "SANGHA BUDDHIES"

    I’m not sure if here is the right thread to ask this question. Is there a thread for personal ideas, examples and stories of “lend a hand” (LAH)? It seems this would be a great way for people like me (because I’m relatively newish to Treeleaf) to get ideas and it would also be a great way to pat each other on the back and keep LAH vital. The only trick would be to keep it from people trying to one up each other though I don’t think many here would (and would that be such a bad thing if it were kept friendly?)

    Thanks,
    Tom

    LAH Sat


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by StoBird; 05-21-2020 at 03:13 AM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by StoBird View Post
    I’m not sure if here is the right thread to ask this question. Is there a thread for personal ideas, examples and stories of “lend a hand” (LAH)? It seems this would be a great way for people like me (because I’m relatively newish to Treeleaf) to get ideas and it would also be a great way to pat each other on the back and keep LAH vital. The only trick would be to keep it from people trying to one up each other though I don’t think many here would (and would that be such a bad thing if it were kept friendly?)

    Thanks,
    Tom

    LAH Sat


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi Again, Tom,

    Yes, there is ... although it has been quiet for awhile, and people are just Lending a Hand on their own. However, the point of the thread is not to brag or take credit, but merely to inspire others with examples, just as you say ...

    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...JO-BODHISATTVA

    More on "Lend A Hand" here ...

    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Lend-A-Hand%29

    Gassho, Jundo

    SatTodayLentAHand
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  18. #18
    Is there a place where all zoom channels are posted? I have seen several like the european tea house, cafe zen, etc mentioned but have no idea where or how to find them.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by serenewolf View Post
    Is there a place where all zoom channels are posted? I have seen several like the european tea house, cafe zen, etc mentioned but have no idea where or how to find them.
    David,

    Links to the rooms for each event are listed on the calendar events, look for the "Calendar" link under the main header.

    Also you can bookmark https://www.treeleaf.org/now/ which has the calendar and dropdown links to all the rooms.

    Gassho,

    Shoka
    sat
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

    Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

  20. #20
    Hello. I am very pleased to join you at TreeLeaf. I would welcome a friend to guide me in this online world? I am living with a sight impairment, but still living, none-the-less! In Gassho, Al (UK)... ST

  21. #21

    FEELING LOST AROUND THE COMMUNITY? Contact our "SANGHA BUDDHIES"

    For all “channels” in the upper right corner of the pages of “threads” as you say channels, there is a rectangle into which you might type the specific topic of your choice. For example you might type poetry and all threads with poetry will appear. You might types compassion and all threads with Compassion will be listed or Haiku will be listed, and so on. Remember the point of the Forum is direction toward sitting practice. I have been with the Zendo almost 6 years and these are two things I only recently discovered. Thank you for your practice. This tool exists in computer format only.
    Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-29-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Allister View Post
    Hello. I am very pleased to join you at TreeLeaf. I would welcome a friend to guide me in this online world? I am living with a sight impairment, but still living, none-the-less! In Gassho, Al (UK)... ST
    Hi Allister,

    We'll be in touch shortly, and have somebody to help. Welcome again.

    Gassho, Jundo

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Allister View Post
    Hello. I am very pleased to join you at TreeLeaf. I would welcome a friend to guide me in this online world? I am living with a sight impairment, but still living, none-the-less! In Gassho, Al (UK)... ST
    Hi Allister,

    The buddy system here is sort of self service. At the top of the thread is a list of all the folks who have volunteered to be a buddy, a little description that they wrote, and a link to their Treeleaf page.

    For example here is the one for Meitou

    Meitou (Sardinia, Italy)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/member.php?15859-Meitou
    My name is Meitou, I've been practicing Buddhism for eight years and a member of Treeleaf since February 2017. Originally from Britain, I live on the island of Sardinia with my husband and four cats, speak English and Italian, love to read and paint and would be happy to help you find your away around this wonderful community.
    So, if you select her you would click on the link and that would take you to here page here at Treeleaf.

    On that page, underneath her picture, there is a link to "Send Private Message". Click that and you can write her asking if she is available. Usually folks are available but if not just try your next choice.

    Let me know if that isn't clear or you need more help.

    Gassho, Shinshi

    SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •