Thread: Ego trip?

Ego trip?

Hello All.
    This is my first post. Glad to be a part of the group.
    As a newcomer to zazen and zen practice I have read that the ego can manipulate practice for its own ends - spiritual materialism(?). How can this be avoided and how would I know it is happening?
    Many thanks.
    Tom

Hi Tom,

This is a dilemma. If you practice then you know that there is practice. If you practice then you know there is spiritual materialism. If there is spiritual materialism then it can be manipulated for its own end. But if you don’t practice then there is no spiritual materialism.

I would say practice with the knowledge that there is always spiritual materialism. This is as close “practice” as we can get.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hi !

Well, for me, i just assume that it is always happening and that i'm always "ego tripping".

It helps !

Gassho,

Uggy,
    Sat today

Edit : hahaha, jishin posted at the exact same time, almost the same idea. I don't know if i must feel good about that or not

Hello there Tom, welcome to TL.

People come to Zen in search of something, stress-relief, answer to a question or enlightenment etc. They sit and wait for IT to come to them and when we sit with a goal, we risk becoming disheartened when we don't get what we want. The goal to zazen is to just sit, with no goal. Just sit eachtime without judgement as to what might happen, whether you sit with a still or turbulent mind. It is all good zazen.

There are many books out there that talk about how to sit zazen, but Jundo does some really good videos. Looks in the talks for newcomers sections, there are a lot, but it is worth it.

Deeps bows,
    Simon.
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Eishuu
    It's a really good question. I think the precepts are a good place to start in order to direct yourself away from a ego-led approach. We are currently studying them for Ango and there is a thread in that section of the forum if you are interested. I guess until we are Enlightened our egos will be involved to some degree, it's just being aware of that. There is a big emphasis on goalless practise and Zazen being 'good for nothing', which helps to keep reminding you to let go of goals or any sense of gaining anything. It seems to be more about letting go. I'd also recommend the newcomers videos. (I'm fairly new too so please take anything I say with a pinch of salt.)

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Ugrok View Post
    Hi !

Well, for me, i just assume that it is always happening and that i'm always "ego tripping".

It helps !

Gassho,

Uggy,
    Sat today

Edit : hahaha, jishin posted at the exact same time, almost the same idea. I don't know if i must feel good about that or not
    Great minds think alike.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Whenever I get into something new that excites me, there's an ego trip. Not so many years ago, I earned my Diploma in CBT and I was definitely on an ego trip when they added the word "Senior" to my job title. Now when I meet a newly qualified therapist, full of pride and enthusiasm, I smile to myself and realise it's just a job to me now - no big deal.

My point is I think it's natural to make a big deal out of finding your feet on the Buddhist path in the early years. If you're anything like me, you'll probably make too much of a big deal about it, talk about it way too much, annoying and alienating your family and friends! (just kidding... kinda).

I'm sceptical of the image of the solemn student of Zen, never self-cherishing or doing a mini-fist-pump when they finish their Rakusu... like others have said, it's human to ego-trip (full disclosure: I took a bunch of selfies when I finished my Rakusu - trying to nail the Buddhist look. I don't know if it gets much more ironic than that).

I imagine when I'm a little older and further along the path, I'll look at novice Buddhists the way I see novice therapists now. For now, I'll just keep laughing at my Buddhist ego-trips as and when they arise.

Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat (and absolutely nailed it) LAH
    援若

Hi Tom,

Would you mind to post an introduction of yourself here, when you get a chance? Thank you.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-%28October%29

Also, a human faced picture if you would, as it helps us look each other in the eye a bit around here.

My too short response to your question: When Practice is going well, and is being helpful and healthful in your life, you can know fairly quickly. The key is that your life seems to be going in positive and healthful directions. If you find yourself reacting and appraising life situations in what seems like a positive way, that is an indicator. (In my case, in just the last 24 hours, I have "Zazen'd" a hurricane around my house, a death of a friend, and a stomach biopsy. I could tell by how I reacted, with clarity and wholeness, that it was good. This Practice has kept me going for 30 years through thick and thin).

There is sometimes talk of "spiritual bypassing," when folks use meditation or the like to tranquilize themselves rather than deal with real issues and situations. That is not good. You can also tell if you are doing that if the problem actually seems to be helped, not merely repressed or covered over.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Sorry, think I may have misread your question a bit ... spiritual materialism, not spiritual bypassing.

First, just Practice with trust right now. Don't be too concerned about such questions this early.

Second, we focus on our Bodhisattva Vow to rescue all the sentient beings. We are actually not practicing for ourself, but for all (including us). Make sure that this Practice is not too much navel gazing, wrapped up in your own head and suffering. Make sure it is also always directed at helping others, the entire Sangha and other members with needs you can help, and it should be okay. As Lucy said, the Precepts also help to keep us in good directions. Such things as LAH (Lend A Hand), volunteer and service are vital too.

Much other good advice above from folks.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-23-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you all for taking time to reply.
    So, to sit in and of itself, is all one does at this point.
    I guess even ‘trying’ to keep the ego out of the equation is striving!
    I will read up on the Precepts. And ferret around the site!
    Gassho
    Tom
    SatToday

Hi Tom, welcome! It is my understanding, although I am just a novice, that the Eightfold Path, in addition to the Precepts, also helps to guide us as we practice. Otherwise we could find ourselves using Zazen to make excuses for detachment from others' suffering and from the consequences of our actions, among other things. You can find Jundo's sit-a-longs on the Eightfold Path in Buddha Basics, there is one for each step. http://https://www.treeleaf.org/foru...Eightfold-Path

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday