Thread: Mind moves

Mind moves

The Gateless Gate #29

Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said: "The flag is moving."

The other said: "The wind is moving."

The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by. He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving."
    Today I was taking advantage of a quiet Sunday morning to work on the Rakusu. My son was doing something on the computer and my wife decided to do some vacuuming upstairs including a brief round in the room I was in. No problem. There was actually a sense of stillness as everyone just settled into the day.

Then after my wife finished vacuuming she decided to work on the scales on the piano downstairs. Normally this doesn't bother me but today I found it annoying. I as I sat there annoyed (and sewing) I realized nothing had changed. The stillness was still there. It had only vanished in my mind. Once I realized this fact I suddenly recalled the koan I quoted above.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today & sewed in stillness

I am sitting in the middle of a major typhoon hitting this part of Japan, and gonna get worse the next few hours. Back field already looks like a swimming hole.

I will keep this in mind. It is not the wind moving, only my mind.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/22/as...lan/index.html

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wow! Calm your mind, Jundo.

Gassho
    Meishin
    SatToday

Eishuu
    Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post
    The Gateless Gate #29

Today I was taking advantage of a quiet Sunday morning to work on the Rakusu. My son was doing something on the computer and my wife decided to do some vacuuming upstairs including a brief round in the room I was in. No problem. There was actually a sense of stillness as everyone just settled into the day.

Then after my wife finished vacuuming she decided to work on the scales on the piano downstairs. Normally this doesn't bother me but today I found it annoying. I as I sat there annoyed (and sewing) I realized nothing had changed. The stillness was still there. It had only vanished in my mind. Once I realized this fact I suddenly recalled the koan I quoted above.

Gassho
    Warren

Jundo, I hope you and your family, and everyone stays safe!

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Thanks Warren, wise words.
    Jundo - I hope you and your family are safe and warm.
    Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat LAH
    援若

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I am sitting in the middle of a major typhoon hitting this part of Japan, and gonna get worse the next few hours. Back field already looks like a swimming hole.

I will keep this in mind. It is not the wind moving, only my mind.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/22/as...lan/index.html

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Stay safe Jundo .... sitting with you all within the storm.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post
    The Gateless Gate #29

Gassho
    Warren
    "Yet for all that, flowers fall amid our regret and yearning, and hated weeds grow apace." - Genjokoan

I like this from Dogen. Even though vacuuming is just vacuuming it does not mean it does not suck. The patriarchs answer says there is no problem, it’s just the mind. But the mind still sucks sometimes. It is still a problem. The patriarch gets an F in enlightenment.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hope you are safe Jundo

Sat2day

Jundo I hope you and your family and everyone there is safe. We just had a devastating hurricane rip through here and there were also many trees moving, some on top of expensive things.

I frankly will confess that I don't really understand the koan in the context it is being discussed here. awarren, I can appreciate that you recognized that the decision for the sounds around you to be annoying or not was your mind moving. For me I do not feel the Patriarch is saying there is no problem. I am not sure this koan even indicates the wind or the flag is a problem. The problem I believe that patriarch points out, is that the two monks are seeing the flag and the wind as separate. Their minds are jumping from flag to wind; not seeing that without wind there is no flag. Not two, but one.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today, LAH
    Grateful for your practice

Another time when the rubber of Nirvana meets the road of Samsara.

This is actually my 3rd or 4th time sitting Zazen during a hurricane. Had that back in Florida too.

In any case, we are okay, the back field looks like a pond.

It is true ... wind blows, but if mind is still, it is just the wind blowing. All is still. I tried it last night, and it is true. I tried it again today with my biopsy, and it is true.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    It is true ... wind blows, but if mind is still, it is just the wind blowing. All is still.
    Lovely! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH