Thread: [Engaged] Prison Books Project

[Engaged] Prison Books Project

Dear all

This is a charity that does not require your money but rather donations of previously loved and no longer needed dharma books. It is mostly for sangha members in northern America but not necessarily so. I am thinking of finding used copies of books on Amazon.com and sending them that way.

The Prison Mindfulness Institute receives donations of books and sends them out to Prisons around the USA. Particularly required are basic teachings on meditation practice and introductory dharma. They also run prison meditation programmes.

https://www.prisonmindfulness.org/donate-books/

There are many inmates who have turned to the dharma and meditation to help turn their life around and cope with the prison environment. It is good if we can help them both inside and when they come out again.

Byōkan reminded me to include the following from their website to read before you donate:

Book Donations:
    Paperbacks only please! No magazines! No CDs! Prisons do not accept these items.

If you would like to send us books, please use this contact form to send us a message:

https://www.prisonmindfulness.org/contact-us/

Please let us know what type of books you have to offer and we will email you back with information on where to send them.

Books on beginning meditation or mindfulness practice (examples: Pema Chodron, Joseph Goldstein, Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, Cheri Huber, Jon-Kabat Zinn, etc) are needed most. We also have several requests for books on yoga (ones with drawn illustrations are best).
    Thanks!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 10-20-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks Kokuu,

this is one of my favorite charities too.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

This sounds like a great idea. As a former prison psychiatrist I can say that any morsel of caring expressed in any fashion from a civilian is deeply appreciated by inmates.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Thank you for this Kokuu!

Metta and deep bows,

Mike
    sat
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Kokuu

Thank you for this and the idea of using Amazon for those outside the States.

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Deep bows, thank you Kokuu!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

What about making zafus for them to use?

Deep bows,
    Simon.

Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for the Sangha.
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Quote Originally Posted by Professsor View Post
    What about making zafus for them to use?

Deep bows,
    Simon.

Hi Simon,

It is a good thought, but it would have to be through an organization already working closely with a particular prison. There are restrictions on bringing in items. Prisons are worried about their use, and the storage of possible contraband inside.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Simon,

I second what Jundo said above.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Thank you both, that makes sense.

Deeps bows,
    Simon.
    Sat.

Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

I have an extra copy of The Mind of Clover, good place to start giving.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

I'm sure I can contribute to this worthy cause, thank you for sharing.

Gassho

Matt
    st
    Matt
    st

There are pen pal organizations already in existence for inmates I myself write to two, and one already Student of Buddhism he followed Jack Kornfield who I already know. The other convinced he can make a difference with alternative energy when he leaves confinement. I find prisons horrible and inhuman punishment violating the US constitution.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆