Thread: Mentoring?

Mentoring?

Greetings all!

I was wondering if any of the members would be in a position to guide me through this whole thing. I am new to Buddhism, and even newer to Zen. I live about an hours drive from the Chapel Hill Zen Center, but truth be told, I've only been there once.

My problem is this; I am a long haul trucker. I only get home a couple of days a month (usually 28 days out to 4 at home). I'm not always home on Sundays (their Sangha zazen day), and to be frank - I'm not in a real big hurry to drive anywhere when I AM at home.

I would much prefer someone who has some time in it, not a relative novice. I would like to prepare to take the precepts next time around. I also need someone who understands that a) my schedule is not set or stable b) I often work 14 hour days with only 10 hour breaks in between, and c) I am not always available.

I know its asking alot. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

May you find balance and inner peace on your path.

Gassho
    🙏

I sat

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob VanCamp View Post
    Greetings all!

I was wondering if any of the members would be in a position to guide me through this whole thing. I am new to Buddhism, and even newer to Zen. I live about an hours drive from the Chapel Hill Zen Center, but truth be told, I've only been there once.

My problem is this; I am a long haul trucker. I only get home a couple of days a month (usually 28 days out to 4 at home). I'm not always home on Sundays (their Sangha zazen day), and to be frank - I'm not in a real big hurry to drive anywhere when I AM at home.

I would much prefer someone who has some time in it, not a relative novice. I would like to prepare to take the precepts next time around. I also need someone who understands that a) my schedule is not set or stable b) I often work 14 hour days with only 10 hour breaks in between, and c) I am not always available.

Gassho
    ��

I sat

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I guess that we all mentor each other around here, and there is no "course." One sits and learns about Buddhist teachings slowly. It is a long haul to right here and right here, always just right here.

However, I am sure we can find someone to be a driving buddy for some Bean House Bull on the CB. (They still have those?)

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yes, they still have those. I don't.

We have no 'course', but we do have Jukai, correct?

Mp
    Yes, they still have those. I don't.

We have no 'course', but we do have Jukai, correct?
    Hello Rob,

Yes we do have Jukai and actually we are studying it right now ... you can see the thread here where we are talking and studying the Bodhisattva precepts. =)

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...glen-Too%21%29

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hi Rob

Sadly we don't have the resources to offer individual mentoring but, as Jundo says, we all mentor each other on the forum, overseen by his watchful eyes to make sure no one goes too far astray!

Any questions you have about practice can be asked on the forum and aside from that you can sit with the weekly Zazenkai at a time which suits you, sit with others at various times set out in our Zazen Calendar, read long with us in the Treeleaf Book Club or choose for yourself from the list of recommended books and other media!

Since you are on the road a great deal, podcasts may be a really good option for you and Domyo Burk has an excellent introductory series called Zen Studies.

As Shingen says, Jukai precept study has its own thread which is overseen by our priests-in-training.

Safe driving, Rob.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 10-19-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Hi Rob,

welcome to Treeleaf! I think you'll find that this is a really great place for someone with a variable schedule like yours. In fact my schedule is like yours! We have a lot of resources to get you started with meditation instruction and Zen basics (I will PM you some links and info). You'll find tons of support on the forum, and you can ask any questions you have, and learn in your own time at your own pace. The great thing here is that you have access to the Teacher and the Sangha 24/7. We put a lot of emphasis here on sitting shikantaza. If you can develop a daily sitting habit, even if it's only 15 minutes to start, and go through some of Jundo's introductory videos, and check into the forum whenever you have time, you'll be well on your way for next years Jukai.

One reason we don't really do one-on-one mentoring is because it's just so helpful to others to bring your questions to the forum. Any question you have, others have too, and we learn together by exploring questions and sharing our experiences. But Jundo and the Unsui are here to support you, and you can reach out to us by PM any time.

I'm sending you a PM!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Last edited by Byokan; 10-19-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Since you are on the road a great deal, podcasts may be a really good option for you and Domyo Burk has an excellent introductory series called Zen Studies.
    Hi Rob,

Welcome! I just wanted to second Kokuu's excellent suggestion. Domoyo's podcast is a wonderful step-by-step introduction to both "original Buddhism", and our practice in Soto Zen.

Also, I have been travelling lately and have spent a fair amount of time on route 81 (western Virginia and North Carolina), where the trucks sometimes outnumber automobiles and wanted to offer deep bows to you and your brothers and sisters.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hey Sekishi,

I've sent Rob our media list, and I noticed we don't have our Treeleaf Zendo Podcast on there! Maybe we should add it?

By the way, I get it through Itunes, and I know it's on Podbean, and here in the related thread for each talk... is it anywhere else? Everywhere else? Probably a dumb question!

Gassho
    Byōkan the Untechnological
    sat + lah
    Last edited by Byokan; 10-19-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byokan View Post
    I've sent Rob our media list, and I noticed we don't have our Treeleaf Zendo Podcast on there! Maybe we should add it?

By the way, I get it through Itunes, and I know it's on Podbean, and here in the related thread for each talk... is it anywhere else? Everywhere else? Probably a dumb question!
    Nice catch Byokan! I updated the media list with a link to our podbean page and directly to our listing in iTunes.

As to your other question, I think the short answer is "it is available many other places", but not exactly "everywhere else". For example, I do not think it is on Stitcher or Spotify at this time (I'm not sure either allow people to submit their own podcasts at this time).

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks Bro!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Hi Rob,

It's nature to feel the need for a mentor when jumping into new things. I felt the same when starting this journey.

" To get where I want to be I will need the assistance of a guru or zen master without this I can't reach enlightenment."

Boy do I feel silly now. Remember that gurus and zen masters are people too. They get frustrated, make mistakes, and fall pray to monkey mind just like everyone else.

Listen to some introductory podcasts, get a book or two, try to remain mindful, and sit when you can. Remember there is nothing to attain. Chasing the eternity of pure bliss that many people view as enlightenment will only lead to more suffering.

Thank you for your practice.
    Jim-sat-lah

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Certainly familiar with I-81 (although it doesn't go to NC, ends in eastern TN). Thank you for that. Be careful out there!

Boy do I feel silly now. Remember that gurus and zen masters are people too. They get frustrated, make mistakes, and fall pray to monkey mind just like everyone else.
    Speak for your %'~%$$ self!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-21-2017 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Uhmmm....

Mentoring?

Hi Rob,

After a month or two here 5 years ago my exact words to Jundo were “can you help me with this thing?” He said no. Somehow it worked for me. I don’t listen to anyone except my best teacher - me. Maybe that is why I got the answer I got. There are plenty of teachers that don’t say much because information that is spoon feed is not appreciated. Jundo tends to bend over backwards and forwards to help any way he can. Whatever answer he gives you is probably a good one.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Really, all I am looking for is someone to point me toward whatever knowledge I need to participate in the next available Jukai. I'm not really looking for some version of Yoda. Just a few pointers on what to read outside of the posts. I'm watching the Rakusu sewing videos now so I can work on that.

You've all been very helpful so far, but I do muxh better in one-on-one situations. Someone who'll point to the path, not try to drag me down it...

Mentoring?

Hi Rob

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    I checked the Zen Studies podcast on the way home from work tonight. I listened to her most recent episode (#34) and she gave a shout out Treeleaf at beginning. Pretty cool! The episode is on the Dogen’s Genjokoan. She does a great job of explaining it in a clear and concise manner. I second this recommendation .

Sat2day

Mp
    Really, all I am looking for is someone to point me toward whatever knowledge I need to participate in the next available Jukai. I'm not really looking for some version of Yoda. Just a few pointers on what to read outside of the posts. I'm watching the Rakusu sewing videos now so I can work on that.

You've all been very helpful so far, but I do muxh better in one-on-one situations. Someone who'll point to the path, not try to drag me down it...
    Hey there Rob,

I will send you some information for you tonight that I think will point you in the right direction. Also, if you do have a specific questions or if anything comes up during the reads and such, I and others are always here. =)

P.S. I too hold a class 1 and did OTR work back in the day.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey there Rob,

I will send you some information for you tonight that I think will point you in the right direction. Also, if you do have a specific questions or if anything comes up during the reads and such, I and others are always here. =)

P.S. I too hold a class 1 and did OTR work back in the day.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Thanks

Hey no worries Rob,

we'll begin preparations next September for the next Jukai. We'll study the Precepts together, read various things and discuss them on the forum, sew the rakusu step by step, and if you like you can choose an Ango Partner to do partner exercises together. And then Jukai is usually held the following January. So you have all year to settle into your daily practice, find out more about Buddhism and Zen, and make sure it's the right path for you before you take the vows. Does that sound good to you?

Or did you mean this year's upcoming Jukai? I think it might be too late to get on that train. Jundo would advise you on that.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Quote Originally Posted by Byokan View Post
    Hey no worries Rob,

we'll begin preparations next September for the next Jukai. We'll study the Precepts together, read various things and discuss them on the forum, sew the rakusu step by step, and if you like you can choose an Ango Partner to do partner exercises together. And then Jukai is usually held the following January. So you have all year to settle into your daily practice, find out more about Buddhism and Zen, and make sure it's the right path for you before you take the vows. Does that sound good to you?

Or did you mean this year's upcoming Jukai? I think it might be too late to get on that train. Jundo would advise you on that.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    No, not trady for this year. Next time around is fine. Thanks!

Hi Rob,

I am sure that we can find your a Dharma Buddy or two to help you find your way through the maze.

Any volunteers, please PM me and I will put you in touch with Rob.

If I were learning to drive an 18 wheeler, I would need a guy to sit shotgun for awhile too.

In fact, didn't we have this kind of "buddy system" around here for awhile? Maybe we should make it available more widely for new folks who might benefit from a bit of mentoring.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Jundo,

Talking to one of my Ango partners we thought about whether people could have dharma buddies all year round as having someone to discuss practice with can be so helpful in terms of mutual support.

Those who are interested could put their names forward and pair up as for Ango and check in weekly or so to see how each other are doing.

In short, I would definitely support the rolling out of buddying sangha-wide and not just for new folks. Being assigned a buddy would undoubtedly be helpful to people just joining the sangha, in answering the initial questions everyone has.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Gassho, J

STLah
    Whaooooo simmer down there buddha.
    Haha Gassho

Honestly the dharma buddy / penpal is an interesting idea. Since we are forum based we learn about each other but don't form the same bonds as a traditional sangha. Having someone that you can turn to privately to discuss and share things with would be nice.

Jim_sat_lah

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Eishuu
    Jundo,

Talking to one of my Ango partners we thought about whether people could have dharma buddies all year round as having someone to discuss practice with can be so helpful in terms of mutual support.

Those who are interested could put their names forward and pair up as for Ango and check in weekly or so to see how each other are doing.

In short, I would definitely support the rolling out of buddying sangha-wide and not just for new folks. Being assigned a buddy would undoubtedly be helpful to people just joining the sangha, in answering the initial questions everyone has.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    I think that's a wonderful idea.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Jundo,

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    I'm finding the PP exercise really rewarding and I'd certainly be happy to continue with it in some form or another. My main point of contact will always be the forum but I see this as complimentary.
    Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

See what you started Rob!?

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post211629

Gassho, Jundo

SatTOdayLAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Jundo

If one is not necessarily seeking out a full time mentor at present, should we continue to use the forum to raise general question on a subject and the existing "Sit-A-Long" videos ? Although I still see myself as a newbie I feel there has been sufficient responses and feedback to questions I've raised via the Forum, or if I've PM you or one of the Unsuis (?) and I guess this has been the foundation for what I have come to see as establishing friendship as well. Would we use the list to reach out as it were, on a subject that might be a sticking point or should we be looking to establish a more long term 121 relationship for teaching ? I know what you'll likely say but do we need a framework to establish the mentors remit ? I'm sure a Zen Mentor will be more go with the flow, is what it is type approach but have to ask.

Just my spanner in the works.

STMIZ lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin-Do View Post
    Jundo

If one is not necessarily seeking out a full time mentor at present, should we continue to use the forum to raise general question on a subject and the existing "Sit-A-Long" videos ? Although I still see myself as a newbie I feel there has been sufficient responses and feedback to questions I've raised via the Forum, or if I've PM you or one of the Unsuis (?) and I guess this has been the foundation for what I have come to see as establishing friendship as well. Would we use the list to reach out as it were, on a subject that might be a sticking point or should we be looking to establish a more long term 121 relationship for teaching ? I know what you'll likely say but do we need a framework to establish the mentors remit ? I'm sure a Zen Mentor will be more go with the flow, is what it is type approach but have to ask.

Just my spanner in the works.

STMIZ lah
    Hi Toby,

Oh, the Forum continues as always, no change. This "mentor" thing is just an add on that Rob and a couple of other folks suggested above, to help them through the forum and our activities. Also, it is purely optional for folks. I don't anticipate that so many people will use it, but some will.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Jundo

Thanks for clarifying, hope you're well.

STD

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

See what you started Rob!?

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post211629

Gassho, Jundo

SatTOdayLAH
    Trouble from the git-go I am...��

Greetings all!

Gassho
    ��

I sat

Rob
    I sat too

I know the feeling. I've been a newspaper printer (night shift) for almost 40 years. The isolation from society as others close to us experience it can affect us negatively. Yet we are all around other people in the same boat as we are. Its can be like an alternate reality. I think you know the path, do your zazen, check in with people who are keeping tabs on you, and do try to touch bases with real life sangha when ever you can. Develop your zazen and you'll get to the good part; consider yourself fortunate. I was once told discovering the Dharma in this lifetime is just like a sea turtle coming to the surface and landing in the middle of a Krispy Kreme donut!

Gassho brother

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by HAN SEN View Post
    ...I was once told discovering the Dharma in this lifetime is just like a sea turtle coming to the surface and landing in the middle of a Krispy Kreme donut!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan