Thread: 有り難う - vocab

有り難う - vocab

When I was younger I loved Rebus puzzles. Now today, thanks to texting, abbreviations and emojis have taken their place. Why can't it be simple like the Japanese for thanks, ありがとう, arigatou. OK maybe that is not a good example as there are over a dozen ways of expressing thanks in Japanese, but even taking that into account even arigatou isn't that simple

Arigatou, due to its commonplace use is typically written in hiragana alone but does have kanji as part of it's dictionary listing (typically written only in very formal settings). Written out it can be 有り難う or 有難う. The characters contained within are of the verb 有る(ある) meaning to exist or to be, and 難い(かたい) referring to something that is hard or difficult.

Supposedly the word became an expression for thanks in the 15th century. Yet today, the original meaning lives on today. It is difficult to express our thanks in the modern world. So let's try to show our gratitude, not only in our partner practice (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ner-Exercise-3) but every day after.

ありがとう
    合掌
    Sat
    Inconsistent student of Japanese for 7 years, no JLPT taken.
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Eishuu
    Thank you Myogan. Really interesting. I am finding all these reminders to be grateful really helpful. Yes, sometimes it is hard to express thanks.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

有り難う - vocab

Do not think too much about Arigato.

Word of ordinary peace^_^

Sat today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kakunen; 11-24-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Hi Myogan,

I'm not even studying Japanese (yet!) but I find these posts really interesting, informative and fun. Thank you for offering them! Oh, I mean 有り難う !

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.