Thread: October 13th-14th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Friday the 13th!

October 13th-14th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Friday the 13th!

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will join from sea side from Japan.

Sat today.

Nine bows. Gassho.
    Last edited by Kakunen; 10-13-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    ZOD for me as usual.

SZIZTM / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, Jundo. I will join two-way, tech permitting.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

I plan to join this evening from the mountains

Gassho
    Doshin
    st/lah

Hi guys,

Crazy day here. I'll be sitting this one on Sunday morning.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    I will join from sea side from Japan.

Sat today.

Nine bows. Gassho.
    Here in sea side house is difficult to conect broad band internet.so I give up sitting 2 way today.I will sit on one way.

Gassho and Sat today.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link for tonights zazenkai if needed: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...eikrbtklimavye

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you, Jundo and everyone. Sitting is lucky, sangha is lucky.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone .... wonderful to sit with you all on such a spooookkkyyy day!

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Sekishi, Jundo and everyone!

Were you all able to see me there? I got a blank screen that said something about an app not working with Google? I saw some of you in boxes but very slow and sometimes frozen. And it said Treeleaf Zendo is not in my circles. Weird.

Must be Friday the 13th getting it's chance, only an hour and a half left here.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all. Apologies for stumbling during the chanting. Didn't knock on wood first!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Thank you Sekishi, Jundo and everyone!

Were you all able to see me there? I got a blank screen that said something about an app not working with Google? I saw some of you in boxes but very slow and sometimes frozen. And it said Treeleaf Zendo is not in my circles. Weird.

Must be Friday the 13th getting it's chance, only an hour and a half left here.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Sat via youtube. Looked like Jakuden's old and new avatars interchanged but the sub windows are small.

Sat today /LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Thank you everyone.
    I feel lucky for being able to sit with you all
    Were you all able to see me there?
    Jakuden, I saw you well. You were just on and off
    on my screen from time to time.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat, the day begins!

Eishuu
    Great to sit with you all

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Thank you.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat today LAH

Thank everyone. Beautiful chanting, Sekishi.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Sat today

Doshin
    st/lah

Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all.

Gassho
    Jika
    sattoday, lah
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Gassho
    Patrick
    Sat today/LAH

Sent from my 5056I using Tapatalk

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat over Sat and Sun mornings. What can I say 13 is lucky in Italy. Each to there own. Nice talk all the same from the man who used to seek out blacks cats and walk under ladders. Boundaries and superstitions are there to be pushed......................now if I can find my lucky rabbits foot.

STMIZ / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, all!

On superstition, the Irish writer Seamus Heaney recounts a story of a friend of his who prayed to avert disaster. Seumas asked, "I didn't think you believed in God?", to which the man replied, "I don't." So Seumas enquired why he was praying to a God he didn't believe it to which the answer was, "Well, I'd be a damned fool if I didn't!"

Gassho
    Kokuu

It's just as well that time is not linear and there is always a right time to sit as I've only just sat this zazenkai! I've read before about all the good luck charms in Japan and China, lovely stuff. I'm not superstitious myself ( but that's something we all say and I wonder really...) but I do like to hear about customs and practises from other countries. Toby is right, 13 isn't considered unlucky here in Italy, but this is a VERY superstitious country ( connected to catholicism imo). Black cats are actively disliked - hence we ended up adopting two.
    Thank you everyone
    Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

I think I forgot to mention the 6 and 9 are the two big unlucky numbers in Japan ... and also certain days on the calendar called "Butsumetsu" (the day of the Buddha's Passing to Parinirvana, i.e., death) ... Here are more ...

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/rokuy...l#significance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_superstitions

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

13 isn't considered unlucky here in Italy, but this is a VERY superstitious country ( connected to catholicism imo). Black cats are actively disliked - hence we ended up adopting two.
    Folks in the Ukraine are superstitious too. Number 13, black cats crossing the way, passing under the ladder and many many other things are to be avoided. Funny thing is I have number 13 on the plates of my old mazda and this, probably, makes some other drivers be more cautious and keep the distance

Thank you for the links, Jundo. Interesting.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I think I forgot to mention the 6 and 9 are the two big unlucky numbers in Japan ... and also certain days on the calendar called "Butsumetsu" (the day of the Buddha's Passing to Parinirvana, i.e., death) ... Here are more ...

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/rokuy...l#significance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_superstitions

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Fascinating links, thank you.
    Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

Hello everyone
    I Just Sat with all of You and the zazenkai recording.
    I wish all of You a great week.
    Thank You very much for one more day of practice together.
    Gassho, Gokai
    Sattoday /LAH

Just finished sitting this zazenkai with you all. Thank you for the reminder that zazen offers safety from our demons and ghosts, real or imagined.

Deep gassho,
    Melanie
    SatToday/LAH

Just catching up on this one. Good luck to all!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.