Thread: October 6th-7th, 2017 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

October 6th-7th, 2017 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Today's Talk is Offering Metta (Loving Kindness) to Violent People. (see text below)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/octob...iolent-people/

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-08-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Dear All,

For today's Metta (Loving Kindness) Recital, in the section of offering Metta to people difficult in our lives or in this world, I will be offering in my heart to "people like Stephen Paddock", the man who killed 58 people, and wounded hundreds more, in Las Vegas this week.

I feel I need to explain why, and the meaning of this. Someone might misunderstand or be confused. I am sorry that it is a little complicated.

Our Metta chant states:

1. May he be free of suffering; may he feel safe and still.

2. May he be free of enmity; may he be loving, grateful and kind.

3. May he be healthy and at ease in all his ills.

4. May he be at peace, embracing all conditions of life

Someone wrote me today and expressed that they would have great difficulty in offering Metta in this situation, or in explaining to others why we do so for someone who committed an unspeakable act. He asked for my comment, and here is what I wrote:

First, it is sometimes hard for folks unfamiliar with Buddhist teachings to understand, but we see "excess desire, anger within and divisive thinking (ignorance)" in the human heart and mind as the real culprit in such events, including in the case of Las Vegas. We do not speak of "bad people", only sentient beings who do "bad acts" driven by the poison disease within. And, yes, we see both the violence doer and the recipient of violence, and all of us, as victims of that "greed anger and ignorance."

That is the first fact to understand about Buddhist teachings on bad acts. But still, why am I wishing someone like that "to be healthy ... to be at peace"?

The reason is the basic belief that, if someone truly were so, he would not feel the pain and anger inside that would drive someone to do such acts. He would not be a prisoner of that "greed anger and ignorance". If truly healthy in body and mind, if truly knowing peace and non-violence in his heart, he would not act so. If there is any sense in which I would have offered Metta to Mr Paddock if he were still alive and in jail now, after doing this terrible thing, it is only in the wish that (were he still alive in this life) he would never do such a thing again, somehow becoming a better person, who would work to make some amends for even a fraction of what he did. However, if he were alive, I believe he would still need to feel the weight of the Karma too of what he has done, and not escape the weight of what he has done.

But even so, why chant for someone who is dead, as is Mr. Paddock? It might make sense to chant for peace in the heart of someone alive, and BEFORE they act (so they do not act), but why chant now ... after the horrible act, and for someone who is dead anyway?

Let me answer putting aside the question of future rebirths, and looking at only this life:

In such case, I actually do not offer "Metta" for Mr. Paddock, as he is dead and all is moot. However, I am wishing Peace and freedom from suffering into the hearts of all the other "potential future Mr. Paddock's" anywhere in the world, other violent people, who might someday do such a thing. May they be free of suffering so that they never do harm.

And when I chant, as strange as it sounds, I may be chanting to the "potential" to do harm in my own heart, and in the heart of all sentient beings. By chanting to others, I am also chanting for myself and all of us, that we all be free of greed, anger and violence, and ignorance of every form.

Now, let me answer in the case that there are future lives after this life:

If there are future lives, I might offer Metta only in the hope that in future births he become a better person, freer of violence, than in this life. However, even then, it likely that (in traditional Buddhist beliefs) he would still need to feel the weight of the Karma of what he has done, paying that great debt, and not escape the weight of what he has done. I feel that such punishment, and working off what he has done, would be the way for him to pay this debt and free himself for the future ... should it happen as many traditional Buddhist beliefs claim.

Finally, there is one other Mahayana Buddhist way that one might be offering Metta to Mr. Paddock, and that is through the wish ... however unlikely ... that our Metta could travel back in time to before all this to prevent it before it had happened. This last may seem very impossible, but you still wish it could be so. I am chanting wishing that he had been free of anger before.

As well, I will also offer Metta for all the people and their families touched by the tragedy of what he has done, including the medical staff and law enforcement who did their jobs and nonetheless carry suffering from this experience. Likewise, for all people left a bit more frightened and shocked by the events this week which they witnessed from afar. I will include all of them too.

We must somehow not turn away, not forget ... yet see the real culprit as the "greed anger and ignorance" that infects human beings. Perhaps it is too hard to ask people to forgive, but at least, let us strive not to meet anger with further anger of our own. The best response to hate is ... peace.

Hostilities aren't stilled through hostility, regardless. Hostilities are stilled through non-hostility: this, an unending truth.(Dharmapada 3-5)

I know it is hard for many right now.

I hope that explains a bit how one might offer Metta in this situation. It is not overlooking this tragedy, but merely a kind of hope and aspiration that it should never happen again.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-06-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live and dedicate to all acts of violence and for the people acting with violence.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you, Jundo. That is a beautiful teaching. I will participate two-way, tech allowing

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Jundo for your explanatory words, so difficult to sit for both victims and perpetrator but all are victims.
    Will be sitting ZOD over the next few mornings as usual

STMIZ / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Jundo.

I'll be there live with my bell and mokugyo ready.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I had to be up at 5.30 this morning so I can't see me staying the course tonight, I will try to sit part and the rest over next week. Regardless, I will offer Metta tonight to all of those who through their own deep and terrible suffering are moved to commit such violent acts against others and themselves. I'm glad this has come up because it's something I have always felt very strongly about. In many ways, these people are our greatest teachers.

Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

Aw, I thought I could sit live this week but just got called out on the road. Will sit on the weekend. Thanks to all for your practice.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Mp
    Hello everyone,

Here is the event link for tonights zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...ivghpdzpioqrie

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you. i have to drive out of town now to pick up my son, and will finish Zazenkai in the morning. Including the Hokey Pokey.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today,LAH

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, wonderful talk ... Kyonin, and everyone, I do love you all!

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you, everyone. The talk was moving.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

Now that the zazenkai is over, can't stop the tears.

Thank you all.

Our bodhisattva work never stops. We cry a little, we feel the feelings, but calm ourselves and keep working to benefit all sentient beings.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat in gratitude
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Jundo for your very timely lesson. And, thank you all who sat and will sit.

gassho,
    Shokai
    sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Tears here too. Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

thank you Jundo and everyone else for the zazenkai....
    i was going to join the session live but seeing that i am in a zen monastery in China....... i am
    limited by technological restraints.

sitting with you all in spirit.
    (i never thought i'd say this but i guess i do miss the boundless internet of my homeland)

gassho, ryk
    sattodaylah

Hugs to all, good to sit with you all through the tears.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

October 6th-7th, 2017 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Now that the zazenkai is over, can't stop the tears.

Thank you all.

Our bodhisattva work never stops. We cry a little, we feel the feelings, but calm ourselves and keep working to benefit all sentient beings.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat in gratitude
    Your heart sutra in Japanese is better than me.

This is kind of Joke^_^

Anyway

We are one!

I want to learn English more,because our reasonable language,Mexico and Japan.

Sorry for bad English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kakunen; 10-07-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Thank you for given experience to sit with you.

This is treasure for me^_^

Good night from Japan
    おやすみなさい。日本より^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eishuu
    That was extremely moving. Great to sit with you all. Thank you!

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Thank you very much. Dancing with tears.

Gassho, nine bows
    Meishin
    Sat today/LAH

Sat via youtube. One of Jundo Roshi's better talks!
    Sat Today/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Joyo
    Thank you for this talk, Jundo. It is probably the most balanced, sincere, well-thought-out views on this topic I have ever heard.

Other people have shared their thoughts on similar topics, but I have never seen things the same way. I've heard so-called Christians angrily and with no mercy argue for the death penalty. I'm not saying I am for or against the death penalty, but to approach a topic with such revenge and hatred, yet claiming that they are forgiven because Jesus died for their sins--makes no sense to me.

I've also heard others apply the "idiot compassion" to their lives, claiming to love their abusive husband, making excuses for his abusive ways to the children, clinging to the thoughts that he will change, and even walking in forgiveness because the "poor man had an abusive childhood."

I also recall, years ago when I was still a Christian, listening to a very famous female tv evangelist. She started preaching about how her father sexually abused her as a child, and now she has forgiven him and took care of him in his old age. She came across very judgemental, like anyone who does not follow her footsteps and do the same thing is not a real Christian. I cannot imagine telling someone with an sexually abusive father that you must forgive to the point where you take care of him or you are no good.

I've heard other views too, these are just some of the more extreme ones. It's hard for me to articulate my words sometimes, but I will just say, all of these thoughts just seem like bullshit to me. Where's the middle way? Where's walking in peace and forgiveness (even if it's just so we do not carry the same greed, anger and ignorance in our own hearts and lives) yet holding people accountable for their actions? Can we not have one and yet the other also? These are the thoughts that have gone on in my head for years. I feel a connection to the whole universe, and that whole universe includes some people who have done terrible things, and under the right circumstances I too would shoot, kill, rip them apart to defend myself and my kids if I had to.

I think your talk really helped me get some answers, Jundo, about my practice, and about my life, how I want to live it. Not full of anger and revenge towards those who commit such horrible acts of violence, chanting metta even if just for this to never happen again.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Jundo's talk is now available as a podcast episode at:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/octob...iolent-people/

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you all

Gassho
    Washin
    sat and lah

Thank you, dear sangha. Very good and well balanced, talk, Jundo.

Thank you also, Joyo, the important points you make above

Gassho
    Kokuu

Gassho
    Patrick
    Sat today / LAH

Sent from my 5056I using Tapatalk

If I didn't already know, this talk would confirm for me what a truly great teacher we have in Jundo. To be so compassionate and wise is all that I aspire to.
    Deep bow,
    Frankie
    Satwithyoualltoday /lah

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    If I didn't already know, this talk would confirm for me what a truly great teacher we have in Jundo. To be so compassionate and wise is all that I aspire to.
    Deep bow,
    Frankie
    Satwithyoualltoday /lah
    I very much agree with you Frankie.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Thank you dear Sangha.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Thank you all. Just finished sitting this with you. The hokey-pokey brought tears to my eyes.

Deep gassho,
    Melanie
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you!

Gassho

Rish
    -st