Thread: 2 for 1 kanji- Verbs

2 for 1 kanji- Verbs

Just a quick post on verb forms with only one kanji. Learn the transitive and intransitive verb forms of that Kanji.

Transitive verbs are descriptions of actions that are being done by yourself and have a direct object being acted upon (often implied). For example, “I dropped the thermometer” would be transitive, whereas “the temperature dropped” would be intransitive. Intransitive Verbs are actions that are being done automatically or without input from you and do not have a direct object.

No hard and fast rules on whether either verb is ~iru, ~eru, or ~u, but ~su seems to be transitive more often and ~aru and ~u more often is intransitive however there are always exceptions.

And of course the transitive form will have the direct object marker を

Any thoughts on verbs like this?

Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Eishuu
    Thank you. I was sooo confused by what I thought was two different spelling of the same word when I started learning verbs and vocab. It's a really important point that wasn't really spelled out.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

It is interesting. The difference in spelling in Romanji for 止まる (とまる, tomaru) and 止める(とめる, tomeru) is slight and easy to misread or mishear by itself but easier when read in context, which makes it a pain on vocabulary tests.

Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind