Thread: Zen Practice With Physical Illness or Disability

Zen Practice With Physical Illness or Disability

Dear all

This is the first draft of a resource I hope to be made available on the site to support those in our community who have physical challenges with their practice through illness and/or disability.

Suggestions for any alterations or additions are welcomed, especially from those members of the sangha who are affected in this way.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

ZEN PRACTICE WITH PHYSICAL ILLNESS OR DISABILITY

Treeleaf is an online sangha, designed with the intention of providing a place for people to practice Zen who are not able to physically access a ‘bricks and mortar’ dharma centre. Reasons for not being able to attend a physical centre include reasons of geography, life circumstances (such as working hours, caring for young children or sick relatives) and, also, having physical illness or disability.

As such, we wish to be inclusive to those members who do have physical challenges in their everyday lives which will also apply to some aspects of practicing Zen. This information is intended to answer some of the most frequently asked questions which may cause people with physical disabilities to think they cannot practice Zen or cannot do so ‘properly’, and also provide some resources on the topic from Zen and Buddhist teachers and organisations.

Although some of us in the sangha already practice with disability and/or physical illness, the challenges we face may not be the challenges that you face. While we have attempted to be as inclusive as we can, please let us know if you require information or assistance that is not here, and applies to your particular situation. By doing this, we can increase the scope of support offered.

SITTING POSTURE
    Zen can be a very physical practice. To begin with, being able to sustain posture on the cushion can be very demanding for anyone with challenges to their physical health. When we see rows of students sitting in the lotus posture, or half-lotus, Burmese etc, that can seem like the correct way to do things. However, forcing yourself into a posture which is more than a little uncomfortable (postures can initially feel odd as your body adjusts to them) is not conducive to good sitting and this is even more true if trying to do so might cause you long-term damage through pushing your body too hard.

If you can do the traditional postures but need support in the form of additional cushions, a neck brace, back support and such like, it is completely fine to do this.

Alternative postures to the standard zafu sitting include sitting in a chair (often with a cushion or zafu under your feet so if they do not naturally reach the floor), lying on your side (such as the Buddha’s parinirvana posture) and lying on your back (including support under your knees) such as in the yoga śavāsana (corpse) pose.

This article gives some advice on alternative postures.

It is perfectly fine to attend zazenkai and other sits and ceremonies in supported or reclining postures.

BOWING
    Bowing, especially full-length prostrations, can be physically demanding. If prostrations are required in the weekly zazenkai or other ceremony, you can instead visualise doing this with your hands held in gassho (if you are able). If the gassho position (palms together and held with the base of the thumbs in the centre of the chest) cannot be achieved or maintained, it is okay just to visualise doing this also.

KINHIN
    Kinhin (mindful walking) occurs between sessions of zazen in the weekly and monthly zazenkai. If you are unable to walk, then this can be substituted with mindfully drinking a cup of tea or just sitting and watching others walk on screen. If you are able to do a small amount of kinhin then do this and then stop when you have reached your limit and either sit or drink tea as above.

SEWING
    Jukai (taking the precepts) and Shukke Tokudo (homeleaving ordination) both require sewing as part of the preparation for the ceremony. Before Jukai, participants sew a rakusu. Before Shukke Tokudo a kesa is sewn. These sewing activities are part of a commitment to the practice and the ceremony about to happen but rely on the sangha member being sufficiently able to sew.

If you require assistance or modifications to the normal method to be able to sew (such as using a machine rather than hand stitching) this should almost always be possible. If no sewing, or very limited sewing is possible, then a family member or sangha friend can make part or whole of the rakusu or kesa for you. We do not wish someone who wishes to be part of the sangha and take the precepts to be prevented from doing so because of this.

PAIN
    Here at Treeleaf, we sit zazen in the traditional Sōtō style, in full completeness with nothing lacking. However, while it is not the aim of practice, it has been noticed that levels of pain during and after sitting can feel reduced. This may be of benefit to sangha members who experience pain, especially chronic pain.

Jundo talks about sitting with pain and alternative postures here.

TIME AWAY FROM THE SANGHA
    Some people with illness and disability find it hard to sustain a consistent interaction with Treeleaf or need periods of time away when their health becomes bad. Firstly, many able-bodied members have life circumstances which mean that they also struggle to keep up with the sangha on a day-to-day basis and many also take time away for personal reasons, so you are not alone in this. Secondly, there is a thread on the forum for letting us know if you are going to be away for a while. Please let one of the unsui or a sangha friend know if you would like us to be in contact and support you while you are away. It is often the times that you need to be away from the sangha that you might need us most.

SANGHA CONTACT POINT
    If you wish to discuss any issues around disability and/or physical illness and how you can be supported in your practice then please contact Kokuu. He has been practicing with chronic illness himself for 21 years. Also let him know if you wish to suggest modifications and improvements for this resource guide.

RESOURCES

Articles
    Buddhism and Disability
    Handicapped Buddhism by Richard Louis Bruno

Books
    How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: A Mindful Guide by Toni Bernhard
    Lotus in the Fire: the healing power of Zen by Jim Bedard
    Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach
    This Is Getting Old. Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity by Susan Moon
    Turning Suffering Inside Out by Darlene Cohen

Talks
    Dongshan is Unwell (Norman Fischer)
    Radical Acceptance and Practicing Radical Acceptance (Tara Brach)
    Suffering and Gratitude (Norman Fischer)
    Transforming Illness Through Love and Letting Go (Susan Bauer-Wu)

Welldone bro, a valuable for us all thank you

Gassho

Myoho
    Mu

Thank you, Kokuu.

This is very helpful.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Yes Kokuu, this is very helpful, thank you doing this up. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Eishuu
    This is wonderful. Thank you Kokuu. I once asked Jundo what I could do instead of kinhin and he suggested stretching. I do that now between sits and find it really helps after long periods of being still in Zazen, even if I've just been lying down meditating. It gets the body's energies circulating again. It might be a good alternative to walking for those who can't walk but who are able to gently stretch from sitting or lying. I find it nice to be able to join in the movement in my own way.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Joyo
    Very well done, Kokuu.

Treeleaf is very fortunate to have you!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

I once asked Jundo what I could do instead of kinhin and he suggested stretching. I do that now between sits and find it really helps after long periods of being still in Zazen, even if I've just been lying down meditating. It gets the body's energies circulating again. It might be a good alternative to walking for those who can't walk but who are able to gently stretch from sitting or lying. I find it nice to be able to join in the movement in my own way.
    That is a good idea. Thank you, Lucy, I will add something to that effect and will do that now myself.

Thank you everyone else for the kind comments.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Kokuu, I notice you have one book on aging. I don't have a chronic or acute illness, but aging - yep that's happening to me My eyesight is not good enough to drive or do some of the activities that have given me enjoyment. I'm not as strong as I used to be. It is definitely something I'm practicing with.

Faithmoon
    st

Quote Originally Posted by FaithMoon View Post
    Kokuu, I notice you have one book on aging. I don't have a chronic or acute illness, but aging - yep that's happening to me My eyesight is not good enough to drive or do some of the activities that have given me enjoyment. I'm not as strong as I used to be. It is definitely something I'm practicing with.

Faithmoon
    st
    Hi FaithMoon,

Me too. A friend gave me a book titled "Aging as a Spiritual Practice" by Zen priest, Lewis Richmond. I like it.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat Today LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Fantastic work Kokuu

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Kokuu,

really appreciated and a very helpful introduction/welcome to newcomers with physical disabilities.

Willow/Jinyo

This is really helpful, Faith Moon. Thank you.

I have added a passage at the beginning which I hope includes this aspect:

"Even if we are currently healthy, illness and aging are a certainty in life so at some point we will have to modify our practice to accommodate physical frailties."

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Joyo

Faithmoon
    st
    Funny how that creeps up on us, doesn't it. Yesterday I was 23, today I am 41.

I wish you many more years of health and happiness.

Gassho,,
    Joyo
    sattoday/lah

Good draft, good idea and a very good man. Many thanks Kokuu.

As a side note I had my rakusu sewn for me because of disability. No problem. It is a good chance to practice the Sangha Treasure. We used Skype and had many a good talk about the rakusu's meaning and place.

Gassho
    Meikyo
    ST
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Faithmoon
    st
    Yes, this document will be important for all of us at some point in our practice I'm sure. I've really noticed my body's age and increasing limitations while sitting and I'm working with that at the moment. This is such a help Kokuu, deep bow to you.

Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

Hi everyone - I haven't been around on here for a long time, though I have been able to train two days a month with a Soto Zen group about 50 mins drive away as well as at home. However I too am struggling with mobility issues caused by spinal stenosis and a "new" knee, started wearing hearing aids about 2 years ago and am also getting cataracts in both eyes. I find the whole ageing thing troublesome - it incorporates so many gradual (and not so gradual) losses. I know and accept that
    I am of the nature to be deceased.
    I am of the nature to die.
    I am of the nature to decay.
    All that is mine, beloved and pleasing, will change and vanish.

but knowing it and living the reality of it are two different things.
    Anyway, I'm so glad I came on here today and read this thread and have already ordered the Susan Moon and the Lewis Richmond books.

In gassho.
    Last edited by Hisoka; 10-01-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    “It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Hi Hisoka!

Lovely to see you here and thank you for commenting. I often note myself that impermanence sounds a lot easier than it actually is!

Do let me know if you have anything to add that you feel might help you or others in practice. Do you find it okay to sit in traditional postures? I am happy that you are well enough to sit with a local group. That is a very lovely thing.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Originally posted by Hisoka
    but knowing it and living the reality of it are two different things.
    Ain't it the truth but, I've found it so refreshing as the dance changes from moment to moment

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/