Thread: A Film About Antaiji

A Film About Antaiji

Hi All,

Kakunen introduced this film on Antaiji, the temple in Japan which was the spiritual home of Homeless Kodo Sawaki (who is quoted from time to time in the film) and Uchiyama Roshis (although neither actually resided during their lives at this particular incarnation of Antaiji in this location), and where Kakunen lived for about a year.

Muho, the current abbot (born in Germany, perhaps the only foreign born Abbot in Soto Zen in Japan today) said we could post it. The film is largely silence, with bits of English, German and Japanese. The film is by a German filmmaker who lived there for awhile, a little ahead of Kakunen's time.

There is a time for Practice in the world, and time for retreat from the world. Antaiji is certainly a treasure for all of us.

By the way, Muho was a guest here at Treeleaf not too long ago, and you can still sit with him in Zazenkai and enjoy his Talk today ...

Our Special Zazenkai & Talk with Abbot Mujo of Antaiji
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-Sit-A-Long%21

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-25-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo,

thank you for sharing the movie

Gassho, Michaela
    sat today

Gassho
    Washin
    sat/lah

Great!I stayed there for about 1 year.Japanese western ,western Japanese Zen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo.

It will be a nice chance of pace for me to sit with this film.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday/LAH
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Eishuu
    I started watching this last night...it's beautifully done. I felt that the atmosphere of the place and film spilled over into my practice afterwards.. Thanks for sharing.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

This is incredible. A great movie, and with a Fred Frith soundtrack. Pure genius, thank you very much for the link. Makes you want to go there...

Gassho,

Uggy,

Sat today

Just for reference, this is the sitting schedule about 9 days a month at Antaiji during Sesshin periods. They do not believe in much Ceremony, Talks or much else beside sitting and eating and urinating and sleeping during Sesshin at Antaiji.

I remind everyone that there is a time to sit short ... a time to sit long ... all to find the sitting beyond time and to attain nothing to attain.

And at Antaiji, folks sit LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!

4am to 9am Zazen
    9am Breakfast
    10am to 3pm Zazen
    3pm Lunch
    4pm to 9pm Zazen
    9pm Lights out

The zazen periods are interrupted by 15 minute intervals of kinhin (walking Zen) every full hour. [That is, Zazen is sat for 45 minutes per sit, with 15 minutes of Kinhin, each hour. 4am to 9am, for example, would be that x5.]
    On non-Sesshin regular days, the schedule is like this ...

4am to 6:10am Zazen
    6:10am Breakfest
    6:40am Cleaning
    After cleaning Help in the kitchen
    7:30am to noon Samu (work)
    12:00 noon Lunch
    after lunch Samu (work), shower, help in the kitchen
    5:00pm Dinner
    5:20pm Dish washing
    5:30pm Tea meeting
    6pm to 8pm Zazen
    After 8pm Free time (be quiet after 9pm)
    Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-26-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Mp
    Oh yes and our Kakunen did that for awhile ... that is quite the undertaking! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Beautiful film. Thank you.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat Toda LAH

Life of Antaiji was treasure for me.Very hard days but lots of friends.

Tree leaf is also great and Eiheiji is also great.

We discuss in English,when I was at Antaiji ,I can not understand English.

But accept,oh no give up to use beautiful English.

I respect Muho.

You can not feel my pain and I can not feel you pain

But we help each other.

My style is just do without think.
    Lots of Treelefer too much thinking, I think.

Please just do it.
    Please just do it.
    Please just do it.

This is my opinion.

Nine bows.

Beautiful film in every way. Thank you so much Jundo and Kakunen.

Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

My style is just do without think.
    Lots of Treelefer too much thinking, I think.

Please just do it.
    Please just do it.
    Please just do it.
    One problem sometimes with Buddhism and Zen in Japan is --not enough-- thinking. Really. People just blindly doing things, or lost in feeling without understanding. A kind of lost, habitual, superstitious and ignorant Zen. People just follow along sometimes, like goats bleating "just do it". Their heads are not filled with the Wisdom of Emptyness ... only just empty, or listening to whatever nonsense pops into their heart ... one minute a Zen expert, next minute confused.

Sorry to say so, and it is not just Zen nor just Japan by any means. There are goats everywhere.

Our way is this: There is a time to think (思量), there is a time just to do and not think (不思量底), there is a time to sit Zazen and release all thinking. Please think-non-thinking (as Dogen said 不思量底、如何が思量せん。非思量。これ乃ち坐禅の要術なり). Even when thinking, please see through thinking, do not grab too tightly to thinking, do not be a prisoner of thinking.

Dogen was a walking, breathing encyclopedia of Buddhist writings, stories, history and Teachings. He was very intellectual, educated in our Tradition and understanding what was known in the 13th Century. He knew ... and non-knew ... what to do with such knowledge.

All things in moderation ... even thinking, even not thinking.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    One problem sometimes with Buddhism and Zen in Japan is --not enough-- thinking. Really. People just blindly doing things, or lost in feeling without understanding. A kind of lost, habitual, superstitious and ignorant Zen. People just follow along sometimes, like goats bleating "just do it". Their heads are not filled with the Wisdom of Emptyness ... only just empty, or listening to whatever nonsense pops into their heart ... one minute a Zen expert, next minute confused.

Sorry to say so, and it is not just Zen nor just Japan by any means. There are goats everywhere.

Our way is this: There is a time to think (思量), there is a time just to do and not think (不思量底), there is a time to sit Zazen and release all thinking. Please think-non-thinking (as Dogen said 不思量底、如何が思量せん。非思量。これ乃ち坐禅の要術なり). Even when thinking, please see through thinking, do not grab too tightly to thinking, do not be a prisoner of thinking.

Dogen was a walking, breathing encyclopedia of Buddhist writings, stories, history and Teachings. He was very intellectual, educated in our Tradition and understanding what was known in the 13th Century. He knew ... and non-knew ... what to do with such knowledge.

All things in moderation ... even thinking, even not thinking.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    I finish cleaning for three hours.And I will go to NPO and think about management plan^_^

Think about real problem is good!

^_^
    ^_^
    ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    I finish cleaning for three hours.And I will go to NPO and think about management plan^_^

Think about real problem is good!

^_^
    ^_^
    ^_^

In Japan younger monk can not say opinion to teacher!!!

In Japan a teacher can not listen to the opinion of a younger monk.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Here, you can say opinion. Then, teacher say opinion to younger monk about why younger monk is wrong. (But sometimes younger monk is right too).

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

A Film About Antaiji

Jundo VS Kakunen?^_^

Oh I am sorry^_^

Last edited by Kakunen; 09-27-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Lovely film, became lost in it. I wonder where the girl is now?

Gassho
    Richard
    SatToday

A wonderful film, I really enjoyed that, thank you for posting here.
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

If you happen to live around Bonn in Germany and want to see the movie in a (small) theater, then you should check out this event on October 25th hosted by the "3 Schätze" ("3 Treasures") shop: Filmabend: Zen for Nothing (sorry, the link contains only German text).

Gassho,
    Stefan

SatToday
    Last edited by Souchi; 10-02-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meli mOg View Post
    If you happen to live around Bonn in Germany and want to see the movie in a (small) theater, then you should check out this event on October 25th hosted by the "3 Schätze" ("3 Treasures") shop: Filmabend: Zen for Nothing (sorry, the link contains only German text).

Gassho,
    Stefan

SatToday
    And if you do so, please give Patrick, the local Soto unsui, who is running "3 Schätze", a hug.
    I really admire his work and engagement and like him as a person.
    (And I like Fred Frith's music in the film very much.)

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    And if you do so, please give Patrick, the local Soto unsui, who is running "3 Schätze", a hug.
    I really admire his work and engagement and like him as a person.
    (And I like Fred Frith's music in the film very much.)

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.
    Yes, thumbs up for Patrick He is a nice guy.

Gassho,
    Stefan

Sat Today

Might I just take this opportunity to mention my favorite German language Zen movie ... actually, favorite Zen movie ... of all time?

(Yes, Zen folks can have favorites!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177749/

Everybody should watch it. It used to be hard to find, but now may be available a few places online. I am not sure.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

I second the recommendation for Enlightenment Guaranteed! If anyone finds a way to stream it, let us know I would watch it again.

Faithmoon
    st
    Last edited by FaithMoon; 10-03-2017 at 06:12 PM.

my favorite German language Zen movie ...
    Mine too, it's hilarious!!

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Yes, we watched this at our zen groups movie night, funny as heck!

Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道