I just wondered if anyone else struggles with motivation and keeping going with language study sometimes? I don't mean your overall motivation for doing it, rather keeping the momentum going. I find when I'm going through new material, there's so much excitement, but the hard process of revising and going over stuff can make me a bit bored and sometimes I have a lot of resistance to it. I know it's necessary. At the moment, I've just finished Genki 1 and am going through the workbook again to check what I've missed and forgotten. But I really want to get on and start Genki 2 with all the exciting new grammar.

Does anyone have any tips for studying? I read an article the other day that talked about having a 'study plan' and sticking to it; deciding what you are going to do each day and doing it however you feel. I'm never that rigid. I did like the tip though not to boom and bust - so when you finished what you intend to do you stop for the day and don't keep going until you fry your brain (which I usually do). I've also heard that 'active studying' is better than rereading - so testing yourself rather than just passively going over the same material.

I've also heard that some people start journaling in Japanese at a certain point...I can see that that would help to integrate what you'd gone through. Does anyone do that? The grammar in particular I am having a hard time remembering.

I guess boredom arises with most projects at some point. I have a lot of physical obstacles too that make it difficult sometimes, but I don't want to let occasional boredom or laziness get in the way.

Thanks

Gassho
Lucy
ST/LAH