Thread: Ever notice that....

Ever notice that....

....the breath never enters the same body.

I haven't posted in a while but I have been checking forums now and then,
    but the more I practice the less I feel a need to say anything.
    Just living and sitting everyday still

Hope all is well with everyone and thank you for all you do.

Gassho,
    SatToday
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    ....the breath never enters the same body.

I haven't posted in a while but I have been checking forums now and then,
    but the more I practice the less I feel a need to say anything.
    Just living and sitting everyday still

Hope all is well with everyone and thank you for all you do.

Gassho,
    SatToday
    Billy
    Hi Billy. This is true. But in another sense the body is boundless. No body for air to enter into and no body to enter into air. Just one tasty enchilada.

My 2 cents

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_.

Shunryu Suzuki Roshi from Zen Mind Beginners Mind ...

----

29-31: “BREATHING” Chapter in its entirety:
    “When we practice zazen our mind always follows our breathing. When we inhale, the
    air comes into the inner world. When we exhale, the air goes out into the outer world. The inner
    world is limitless, and the outer world is also limitless. We say “inner world” or “outer world”
    but actually there is just one world. In this limitless world, our throat is like a swinging door.
    The air comes in and goes out like someone passing through a swinging door. If you think “I
    breathe,” the “I” is extra. There is no you to say ‘I’. What we call “I” is just a swinging door
    which moves when we inhale and when we exhale. It just moves, that is all. When your mind is
    pure and calm enough to follow this movement, there is nothing: no “I”, no world, no mind nor
    body; just a swinging door.

“So when we practice zazen, all that exists is the movement of the breathing, but we are
    aware of this movement. You should not be absent-minded. But to be aware of the movement
    does not mean to be aware of your small self, but rather of your universal nature, or Buddha
    nature. This kind of awareness is very important, because we are usually so one-sided. Our
    usual understanding of life is dualistic: you and I, this and that, good and bad. But actually these
    discriminations are themselves the awareness of the universal existence. ‘You’ means to be
    aware of the universe in the form of you, and ‘I’ means to be aware of it in the form of I. You
    and I are just swinging doors. This kind of understanding is necessary. This should not even be
    called understanding; it is actually the true experience of life through Zen practice.
    “So when you practice zazen, there is no idea of time or space. You may say, ‘We
    started sitting at a quarter to six in this room.’ Thus you have some idea of time (a quarter to
    six), and some idea of space (in this room). Actually what you are doing, however, is just sitting
    and being aware of the universal activity. That is all. This moment the swinging door is opening
    in one direction, and the next moment the swinging door will be opening in the opposite
    direction. Moment after moment each one of us repeats this activity. Here there is no idea of
    time or space. Time and space are one. ...
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Billy! Thanks for checking in. And thanks for practicing! And breathing... very nice...

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Hi Billy,

We breathe the same aire that is never the same. It's like a blanket that is never empty and that covers us all inside and outside.

We let it in and out. And we remind us that we are where we need to be at all times.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍