Thread: BUMP: Seeking Zazen Hangout Host Volunteers - Would You Host A Weekly Zazen Sitting?

BUMP: Seeking Zazen Hangout Host Volunteers - Would You Host A Weekly Zazen Sitting?

JUST BUMPING as we get ready to roll out the following new CALENDAR of our ONLINE SITTING GROUPS. We will also be confirming the times and dates with the folks who volunteered previously.

Tentative Sitting Calendar:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The location for all this will be our new Video Hangout "Scheduled Sitting Room" (and coffee and tea in our "Meeting Room")

Hi All.

We are seeking volunteers who would be willing to commit to hosting a weekly Zazen sitting video hangout for other Leafers.

We are trying to get a whole bunch of such hangouts scheduled, at different hours and days, so as to cover all our Treeleaf members in all time zones from Brisbane to St. Louis to Paris, and all variety of personal job schedules. The idea is that there would be many opportunities scattered during the week to see, hear and Sit! with other sitters live.

Sitting Hangouts should be from 25 or 30 minutes to an hour long or so (your choice) and consist of some or all of the following kind of scheduled activities (also your choice):

--- Chanting as a group at the start and/or end, for example, the Heart Sutra, the Verse of Atonement, the Four Vows, Metta Verses (all optional, up to the group host);

--- Sitting Zazen once or twice (up to you) for 25 or 30 minutes each time, or however long the host usually sits (we leave it to the host). Kinhin can be added for a few minutes as well;

--- Tea and Chat time at the end in our "Meeting Room" (optional, up to the host).

In fact, no need to even be so fancy: If you are already sitting at home, just commit to turn the camera on certain days and let others join with you even silently with sitting alone.

Not really much more to it than that. The host would be responsible for scheduling or opening a hangout each time and notify folks who express interest (we can show you how)

We understood too that life sometimes intervenes, so it is fine if ... like anything in life ... you sometimes have to get someone to "cover" for you or even cancel now and then. But generally, we would like the hosts to commit responsibly to their day and time. Yes, two or more people could agree to take turns for a time slot.

I am thinking that hosts should be preferably long time members of Treeleaf who can truly commit, generally folks who have been part of the Sangha for at least a year.

If you think that you might commit to host such a weekly sitting at a reasonably stable time, please post in this thread or PM me with the time or ranges of possible hours and days when you would be able to do so. We will try to pick times that do not overlap as much as possible. If a host wants to commit to more than once a week, that's okay too.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-14-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will be sitting at 4:30am EST daily. Please let me know if this is something you'd like me to "host."

_/|\_With metta,

Mike
    st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi View Post
    I will be sitting at 4:30am EST daily. Please let me know if this is something you'd like me to "host."

_/|\_With metta,

Mike
    st

Hello Mike,

That would be great, I can put you down for that time slot. Is this Monday to Friday or Monday to Sunday?=)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Shingen,

This would be Monday through Sunday (provided there's no interruptions from babies and our pre-teens). Just let me know when I should start broadcasting my sittings via Google Hangouts.

_/|\_ with metta,

Mike
    st
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Mp
    Shingen,

This would be Monday through Sunday (provided there's no interruptions from babies and our pre-teens). Just let me know when I should start broadcasting my sittings via Google Hangouts.

_/|\_ with metta,

Mike
    st
    Thanks Mike, I will put you down ... even with babies and pre-teens, that too is zazen. =)

I will let you know when the new calendar is live. Once it is, you can just use the www.treeleaf.org/scheduled-sitting-room link ... you go there for your time slot, folks will come as well, and you sit. Easy Peasy! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I could also do Monday through Thursday evenings from 9:30 - 9:50 pm EST if there's interest there.

with metta,

Mike
    st
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Shingen,

I usually sit at 7.00am EET (Paris +1) mostly through the week and could host some sits if this time
    slot will be of interest. As for the days, it could be Tuesday and Friday.

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post
    Shingen,

I usually sit at 7.00am EET (Paris +1) mostly through the week and could host some sits if this time

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat
    Hey Washin,

Let me see if the times work and if they do I will sure put you in. Thank you for leading some zazen. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post
    Shingen,

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat
    Ok Washin, I have you all setup now ... thank you for hosting these times. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Ok Washin, I have you all setup now ... thank you for hosting these times. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    Thank you, Shingen

Gassho
    Washin
    justsat

Hi all,

My apologies for not joining the Hangout this AM. I didn't realize the calendar was up. I will do so tomorrow.

with metta,

Mike
    st
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Just checking in: I'm sitting on hangouts at the 4:30am time but don't yet see the new schedule posted.

Gassho with metta,

Mike
    st-lah

-Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Mp
    Just checking in: I'm sitting on hangouts at the 4:30am time but don't yet see the new schedule posted.

Gassho with metta,

Mike
    st-lah

Hey there Mike,

I just did some format changes, as all the new slots moved the tables around .... but the 'NEW' calendar is up and running. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Shingen,

Thanks for the update.

Gassho with metta,

Mike
    st-lah

-Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

How and where do I announce that I won't be able to make it tomorrow night. I am in a wedding ceremony and was told that practice is tomorrow night. I prefer to let people know in advance when I am able.

Thank you!

_/|\_

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbie View Post
    How and where do I announce that I won't be able to make it tomorrow night. I am in a wedding ceremony and was told that practice is tomorrow night. I prefer to let people know in advance when I am able.

Thank you!

_/|\_
    Hey Hobbie,

Just make a post in the main Zazen section: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...-MORE-ZAZEN%21

Folks will understand if you are not able to make it .... have a good weeding ceremony. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

hi, i know i just joined but i will be able to do this as i am usually awake till late here in singapore..
    however, i will be going to a retreat in china come 4th october for 3 weeks so i might be away only for that period of time.
    let me know how i cAn be of help

gassho ,
    ryk

sattoday lah

Quote Originally Posted by taiyaki View Post
    hi, i know i just joined but i will be able to do this as i am usually awake till late here in singapore..
    however, i will be going to a retreat in china come 4th october for 3 weeks so i might be away only for that period of time.
    let me know how i cAn be of help

gassho ,
    ryk

sattoday lah
    Hi Rykiel,

We want new folks to be settled folks, so we are asking longer term members to lead these. Thank you anyway.

Also, please have a good Retreat in China. You may find some big differences between westernized Japanese Soto and Chinese Buddhism right now, but also much sameness. I like to say, "always exactly the same even when sometimes quite different." Please write and tell us about it when you come back.

Where will you be retreating in China?

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

hi Jundo!

like what they say in thailand..... "same same but different"

i will surely share the experience yes
    it's actually a volunteer program to help out at the gu guanyin temple for the gingko tree's golden shower,
    but i will be practicing the monastery way of life.
    they said i could bring friends so let me know if you guys are interested.

gassho, ryk

i sat today lah!

Just wanted to thank all of the members that have offered to lead these sessions. Often the formal practices led by Jundo are too late for me and I never seem to cross paths with anyone in the FSR. A few of the sessions on the new calender work perfectly.

Sat
    LAH
    Jim

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    Just wanted to thank all of the members that have offered to lead these sessions. Often the formal practices led by Jundo are too late for me and I never seem to cross paths with anyone in the FSR. A few of the sessions on the new calender work perfectly.

Sat
    LAH
    Jim

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    And you can still sit our weekly and monthly "official" Treeleaf Zazenkai, available anytime, putting aside all thoughts of time. They are recorded, but alive in the heart.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...LEAF-NOW-Zendo

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Quote Originally Posted by taiyaki View Post
    hi Jundo!

like what they say in thailand..... "same same but different"

i will surely share the experience yes
    it's actually a volunteer program to help out at the gu guanyin temple for the gingko tree's golden shower,
    but i will be practicing the monastery way of life.
    they said i could bring friends so let me know if you guys are interested.

gassho, ryk

i sat today lah!
    Ah, beautiful ginko tree!

A 1,400-year-old ginkgo tree in China has recently drawn thousands of people from all over the country. Golden leaves have been falling on the ground since mid-November, turning the temple’s ground into a yellow ocean. The ancient tree grows next to the Gu Guanyin Buddhist Temple in the Zhongnan Mountains and is a perfect celebration of autumn.

It's thought to be planted for Emperor Li Shimin, the founding father of the Tang Dynasty, ruling from 629 to 649
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6749676.html

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Ah, beautiful ginko tree!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6749676.html

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Wow how beautiful. Thanks for providing the footage Jundo.
    Ryk have a good Retreat.

STMIZ / la

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

thanks! i will stay in touch.

gassho, ryk
    sattodaylah

Gingko Biloba

The Gingko, that Eastern tree,
    In my garden plot now grows.
    In its leaf there seems to be
    A secret that the wise man knows.

Is that leaf one and lonely?
    In itself in two divided?
    Is it two that have decided
    To be seen as one leaf only?

To such questions I reply.
    Do not my love songs say to you -
    Should you ever wonder why
    I sing, that I am one yet two?

J.W.v. Goethe (trans. Anthea Bell)

GAssho,
    Kotei sat today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Just want to let everyone know that the sitting this morning was cut short because of a sick baby. I didn't see anyone but just wanted to let you all know.

Metta and deep bows,

Mike
    sat today
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Adding a big thank you to everyone who is hosting sits. You are all wonderful!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Just want to let everyone know that the sitting this morning was cut short because of a sick baby. I didn't see anyone but just wanted to let you all know.

Metta and deep bows,

Mike
    sat today
    I hope the baby is feeling better, sending Metta to you and your family Mike.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    I hope the baby is feeling better, sending Metta to you and your family Mike.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Thank you for th well wishing. She's better but not we've got the crud.

Metta and deep bows,

Mike
    Sat | LaH

-Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Hello Treeleafers,

Kindly note that following the summer schedule I'll need to refix the time
    of my sits from current 7.00am to 6.00am EET (GMT+2).
    Changes on the sitting calendar to follow.

Anyone interested welcome to join in.

Thank you for your Practice.

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Hello,

I just found this forum Hello Khalil and a few others -- I have printed out the zazen schedule for myself. I have attempted certain scheduled sits and may make certain ones a routine, depending on what I can handle. I usually mute my camera and mic so as not to disturb and also to ease my social anxiety, so I doubt you will see me -- unless I am unusually brave one day

Thank you to everyone who is hosting scheduled sits, and thank you to Shingen for setting these up for TreeLeaf

gassho
    kim
    st/lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.