Thread: OUR NEXT BOOK: "WHAT IS ZEN?" by NORMAN FISCHER and SUSAN MOON

OUR NEXT BOOK: "WHAT IS ZEN?" by NORMAN FISCHER and SUSAN MOON

Dear All,

I would like to recommend very much a recent book by Soto Zen teachers NORMAN FISCHER and SUSAN MOON, entitled "WHAT IS ZEN?". It is perhaps one of the best books explaining "the basics" for folks new to Zen Practice, but also goes on to offer Fischer Roshi's almost "rabbinical" wisdom on many many topics and questions of interest even to very experienced practitioners. Wonderful for everyone.

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/bo...9781611802436/

I will also go ahead an announce now that this book will be our next selection for Treeleaf's "BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB once we complete our current readings from Okumura Roshi.

A description:

An accessible and enjoyable introduction to Zen Buddhist practice—in a reader-friendly question-and-answer format—by two highly regarded teacher-writers.

The question-and-answer format makes this introduction to Zen especially easy to understand—and also to use as a reference, as you can easily look up just the question you had in mind. The esteemed Zen teacher Norman Fischer and his old friend and teaching colleague Susan Moon (both of them in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki, author of Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind) give this collaborative effort a playful tone: Susan asks a question on our behalf, Norman answers it, and then Sue challenges him. By the time you get through their conversations, you’ll have a good basic education in Zen–not only the history, theory, and practice but also the contemporary issues, such as gender inequality, sexual ethics, and the tension between Asian traditions and the modern American reality.

This unique introduction to Zen teaching and practice takes the remarkably accessible form of question-and-answer—making it a most useful reference for looking things up. But whether you're a neophyte or a seasoned practitioner, you'll want to read the whole thing. The questioner (Susan Moon) and the answerer (Norman Fischer) are old friends, each with a unique gift for articulation, and their friendly conversation covers not only the basics but a range of issues unique to Zen in America in the twenty-first century, including:

• What is zazen and how do you do it?

• Where did Zen start and where did it come from?

• Will I have an enlightenment experience?

• What is the law of karma in a nutshell?

• What do Zen Buddhists say about rebirth?

• How do you recognize a good, solid Zen teacher?

[and much more]
    Some reviews ...

The best intro to zen thought and practice I've ever read. The back and forth critical dialogue gives you a deeper sense of the questions that everyone who practices zen --whether you're just starting out, or have practiced for many years--is bound to encounter. But it doesn't dictate; the discussion encourages you to explore the issues for yourself. At the same time, this is a book that I can go back to again and again, for instruction, dialogue, and support along the path. I appreciate the heartfelt care and thought that's been put into the book.

Although a Zen practitioner for over 50 years, I found this book a mind-opening revelation for pesky questions I've harbored for decades but hadn't the awareness or clarity to articulate, let alone suggest (multi-leveled) answers. Thanks, Sue, for prompting such a bone-honest dialogue, and Norm, for your sublimely contextual and personally compassionate responses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BMYXTUA...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    I just second all that, and look forward to going through the book with all of you in our "No Words Treeleaf Book Club" soon.

(It is available as an audio book too, but I rather recommend the written version ... as this is the kind of book that needs to be gone through at slower than conversational pace.)

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-06-2017 at 02:05 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

There's also a really great audio version - for my fellow Audible users.

-Tyler

SatToday/LAH

Mp
    This is great, thank you for this and look forward to diving into it. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by wtylerallen View Post

-Tyler

SatToday/LAH
    It's on iTunes too. It's a superb book.

Gassho
    Sat today.
    I yam what I yam, that's all that I yam.
    Popeye.

I loved this book and re-read it again recently, so glad you liked it Jundo

Gassho
    Frankie

satwithyoualltoday/lah

I will join in on this one!

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I look forward to joining in with this.

Stewart, Sattoday.

Good question

Ordered book, time to learn the answer.

Gassho
    St/lah

Quote Originally Posted by wtylerallen View Post

-Tyler

SatToday/LAH
    Tyler,

I finished it several weeks ago. I enjoyed hearing Fischer and Moon in their own voices engage in the question and answer format.

Gassho,

Michael

Sattoday
    LAH

I listened to the audio book too, but found that it is the kind of book where a phrase or comment might need to be read a couple of times, or paused and put down to be with for a moment. However, the voices of the readers are lovely.

I usually like audio books, but personally would recommend paper for a book like this. I needs some chewing and being with, here and there.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-07-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Joseph View Post
    Tyler,

I finished it several weeks ago. I enjoyed hearing Fischer and Moon in their own voices engage in the question and answer format.

Gassho,

Michael

Sattoday
    LAH
    Good to see a neighbor here! I'm just next door in Baton Rouge.

And agreed with Jundo, I love a good audio book, but there's something very beneficial in highlighting, underlining and marking pages for reflection. Some books I fall in love with on Audible, but go and buy the physical for that reason. I'll like purchase the physical for the discussion.

-Tyler

ST/LAH

Thank you, Jundo.
    I am now ordering the book and looking forward to join
    in the reading.

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat

Thanks Jundo!

I'll get the ebook soon. One more to the list...

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Eishuu
    Looking forward to this.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Thank you, Jundo. I just ordered the book and look forward to the discussion.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

The book arrived yesterday, looking forward to reading together.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Acquired and downloaded.

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Bumping this as our next book selection in the "Now Words" Book Club ...

Gassho, J

STLAH

When will we begin this one? Such a great read, and excited to read it again but with the crew.

ST

Rakurei

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurei View Post
    When will we begin this one? Such a great read, and excited to read it again but with the crew.

ST

Rakurei
    Hi Rakurei,

I think we will start in very early July. We will finish Okamura Roshi's book next week, and then spend a few weeks with some Koans from the Book of Equanimity, starting this time with Koan 76 ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...5922#post75922

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Thanks Jundo,

I have ordered a copy.

Gassho,

Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in! Bought and downloaded my copy.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

It has been sitting on my night standfor awhile. I am ready!

Doshin
    St

very good, I'll try to get a copy ordered
    sjl

I read this several weeks back. A very good introduction to Western Zen and the unique issues involved in practicing in the West. Look forward to going through it with you all.

Gassho,
    Matthew
    Sat
    Peace begins inside

I read it also, couldn’t help myself, lol. Looking forward to the discussion!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OUR NEXT BOOK: "WHAT IS ZEN?" by NORMAN FISCHER and SUSAN MOON

For those that don’t like to read like me there is an audible.com version.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    For those that don’t like to read like me there is an audible.com version.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    That is called talking, not reading. LOL

Gassho
    Shingen

sat/LAH

The book has been sitting on a shelf for a while now, waiting.
    Several times I had a desire to grab it but decided to wait for its opening in the club
    instead

Gassho
    Washin
    sat/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Yup, imin as well.

THankyou

SatToday

LaH.

Geoff.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

The book just arrived yesterday. It will be hard to wait until July to read it though! I look forward to studying it with y'all!

Gassho,
    kristin
    SatToDay
    LAH

Christie and I have read What Is Zen, very much liked it, and look forward to journeying through it again with the Book Club members.
    Gassho,
    Bill

Ordered and downloaded...looking forward to reading it with others...

Gassho—
    Deborah

SatToday

I also just ordered it and am excited to start next month with everyone! Also happy that this gives me time to finish reading LIVING BY VOW--just one more chapter!!

Gassho
    Melanie
    SatToday/LAH