Thread: September 2nd-3rd, 2017 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

September 2nd-3rd, 2017 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Today's Talk is based on some pages of Master Dogen's Diary of his Travels in China "HOKYOKI" (text below)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/septe...dogens-hokyoki

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-06-2017 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Reading Text for Today's Talk: Hokyoki (Journal of My Study In China) by Master Eihei Dogen - Part I (Page 3 to 7)

Having returned from my own travels by plane, car and train, I thought to begin a series of talks on a text by Dogen which is not so commonly the topic of Dharma Talks, but which contains a detailed record of Dogen's own lessons and interactions with his Teacher in China, Master Tiāntóng Rújěng (天童如淨; Japanese: Tendō Nyōjo). Dogen was then a young student who went to travel (by boat, across deadly seas, not airliner) seeking an answer to many questions. This is the record of Dogen's remembrances of much of the advice and guidance he received on those questions from his own Teacher.

I thought that we might spend a few months with the text, taking it a few pages at a time. Not all the advice is something one need agree with in modern times, maybe (based on his own later Teachings) some of it even Dogen did not take to heart. However, let us see what we can find.

The most readable version is Tanhashi Sensei's translation in his book "Enlightenment Unfolds", a collection of various writings by Dogen. If you do not have the book, I created a PDF file (about 13 pages) with the entire Hokyoki, which can be used for this limited purpose.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HU_...ew?usp=sharing

I am going to read from page 3 through 7 today if there is time.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday(LAH) (Recovering from Jetlag, one small discomfort that Dogen need not deal with on his trip! )
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-13-2020 at 04:09 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live with bells ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Looking forward to sitting with you.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I was looking forward to joining in with this first zazenkai since your return home, but I'm afraid I will be out of town and on the road. Many bows to all who will sit, and catch you next week!

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there live... if hurricane Lidia permits.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

For those who do not have the book, I created a PDF file (about 13 pages) with the entire Hokyoki, which can be used for this limited purpose.

https://sites.google.com/site/jundot...edirects=0&d=1

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Jundo,

You have enviable stamina. After a month sitting across the country with your students, miles and miles by trains and planes, and now within the shadow of jetlag you prepare for the long Zazenkai....this humbled old student "sits" amazed.

Gassho
    Doshin
    St/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jundo,

You have enviable stamina. After a month sitting across the country with your students, miles and miles by trains and planes, and now within the shadow of jetlag you prepare for the long Zazenkai....this humbled old student "sits" amazed.

Gassho
    Doshin
    St/lah
    Ah, sitting ain't so hard. I'll be up early with the jetlag anyway.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Thank you, Jundo. I will join tonight, tech permitting.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Will be sitting on demand over the next few mornings.

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Will have to join late as I am still at work, but will eventually make it there I think.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be joining late as I'm just leaving work now. I'm hoping to join two-way, but the heatwave might drive me out of my sitting area as it doesn't have AC. And it was 110 today .

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Mp
    Hello folks,

Here is the event link for the Monthly Zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...k4gkg7curjfsue

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I cannot get in, but I suspect it is just my poor internet connection. Sitting with you one way.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sitting

I couldn't get sound on two-way, and one way didn't open up. I will sit this one later this weekend. Thank you all for your practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai

Thank you all who sat/will sit.

Cats rule!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone ... it was wonderful to sit back with you, even though we are always sitting together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Thank you everyone. My deepest apologies for getting called away in the middle.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Hokey Pokey and we get to keep our kitties, it doesn't get better than that!!

Great to see you Kakunen, I sent you Metta as well ❤️

So many thanks, and have a great weekend everyone.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you very much,Jundo and Every Treeleafer.
    Sitting there is very peaceful^_^

Thank you, Jundo, Shingen, and everybody. It was a wonderful zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you all who sat or will sit. I got home just in time for the Dharma talk. I had downloaded the text early.
    So, Jundo keeps the cat, Kyonin continues to eat onions, Shigen watches whales, Kakunen does the Hokey Pokey and I watched Daniella dance and will also continue my nightly Honey and cinnamon drinks

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Thank you all who sat or will sit. I got home just in time for the Dharma talk. I had downloaded the text early.
    So, Jundo keeps the cat, Kyonin continues to eat onions, Shigen watches whales, Kakunen does the Hokey Pokey and I watched Daniella dance and will also continue my nightly Honey and cinnamon drinks

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH

I am continuing to do most of the above as well, although I did try to avert my gaze as I passed my neighbor's pigs and sheep on the way home yesterday.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Jundo's talk is now available as a podcast episode: https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/septe...dogens-hokyoki

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Nice to see Kakunen!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-st-

Quote Originally Posted by Anshu Bryson View Post
    Nice to see Kakunen!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-st-
    Me too^_^

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    I really enjoy Hocky Pocky,and sit with smile^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Hokey Pokey and we get to keep our kitties, it doesn't get better than that!!

Great to see you Kakunen, I sent you Metta as well ❤️

So many thanks, and have a great weekend everyone.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

See you again^_^

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    So in the world of constant change, nothing changes. Sat last section this morning, thank you.

SZIZ / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I just managed to catch up with this so thank you to all. I echo that it is lovely to see Kakunen back in the zendo.

At one point in the talk I misheard 'eunuchs ' and thought that the Buddha was telling us not to associate with UNIX. This seemed a little strange but pretty good advice all told!

Deep bows to everyone
    Kokuu