Thread: Harvey Aid (and Worldwide Aid - See Jundo Note Below)

Harvey Aid (and Worldwide Aid - See Jundo Note Below)

Saw this NYT article recommending the best ways to donate to the relief effort. You can go to charitynavigator.com also for a list of reliable organizations. I'll bet the local SPCA's can use some major help right now too Some LAH going to be needed right here for quite awhile I'm afraid.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/2...tDQLwKAn?amp=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-29-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Thank you, Jakuden. The problems in Texas are acute in Houston, but much of the southern part of the state is suffering. Evacuees are seeking shelter in central and north Texas. Money is much appreciated; residents are devastated.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today lah
    Last edited by Meishin; 08-29-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks, Jakuden, for a good and trustworthy resource.

We all have something to offer. Maybe it's money, time, or resources, or maybe it's simply a moment of heartfelt gratitude for being safe and warm and dry, and sincere metta for those who are suffering tonight.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Eishuu
    Thanks, Jakuden. I read that this kind of flooding only happens once in 500 years. Much metta to all those suffering because of the storm.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Thank you, Jakuden. Houston looks in a bad way right now. As well as humans, I have heard that dogs are being picked up by animal rescue shelters at an alarming rate also.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Thank you for this Jakuden ... I too feel it is important to help where we can, much suffering happening there.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Saw this NYT article recommending the best ways to donate to the relief effort. You can go to charitynavigator.com also for a list of reliable organizations. I'll bet the local SPCA's can use some major help right now too Some LAH going to be needed right here for quite awhile I'm afraid.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/2...tDQLwKAn?amp=1

Jakuden

Many thanks for posting this - so difficult to offer help when so far away. I used the charirynavigator link to track down Houston SPCA and made a donation. I hope this small contribution makes some difference. News and media will be focusing on the humanitarian suffering and millions will be donated or funded and rightly so but we should also be thinking of the wider picture and I'm sure many pets and livestock have/will be abandoned in the pursuit of self preservation.

Just a little lah

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Perhaps if possible, I would suggest donations to organizations which help those suffering from natural disasters worldwide. Let us not forget that the people of Texas, although facing grave hardship, reside in one of the richest countries of the world, while countless people around the world facing monsoon, crop failures, drought and other natural disasters (plus war and other human disasters) with far less resources and news attention. Please donate, and offer Metta, to all.

I will not recommend any particular charity, but I will suggest the names of organizations such as Doctors without Borders and International Rescue Committee for their work worldwide.

https://www.rescue.org/

http://www.msf.org/

I also second the suggestion to make sure that the Charity to which you donate is reputable and highly rated on www.charitywatch.org and www.charitynavigator.org or the like watchdog.

Thank you all, for your good hearts and concern.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

PS - I am going to take the liberty of changing the title of this thread to "Harvey (and worldwide) Aid"
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-29-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jakuden and others for this thread. I've been looking for places to donate for Harvey relief.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Perhaps if possible, I would suggest donations to organizations which help those suffering from natural disasters worldwide. Let us not forget that the people of Texas, although facing grave hardship, reside in one of the richest countries of the world, while countless people around the world facing monsoon, crop failures, drought and other natural disasters (plus war and other human disasters) with far less resources and news attention. Please donate, and offer Metta, to all.

I will not recommend any particular charity, but I will suggest the names of organizations such as Doctors without Borders and International Rescue Committee for their work worldwide.

https://www.rescue.org/

http://www.msf.org/

I also second the suggestion to make sure that the Charity to which you donate is reputable and highly rated on www.charitywatch.org and www.charitynavigator.org or the like watchdog.

Thank you all, for your good hearts and concern.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

PS - I am going to take the liberty of changing the title of this thread to "Harvey (and worldwide) Aid"
    i can understand what you say here Jundo. And of course you are right. There are lots of very rich people in Texas and they should give a lot of money here.
    But when i was 4 years old a big disaster happened in the Netherlands and some of our dykes broke and many many people drowned. And our people received support from all over the world. So when something like this happens, i always give some money as a sign of gratitude for the support the Dutch people received at that time.

Coos
    std/lah
    Last edited by aprapti; 08-29-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Meister Eckhart ‘Nothing in all creation is so like God as stillness.’

to underline the words of Jundo:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anupkaphle/...GKX#.oqL3NJpg3

Coos

std

Meister Eckhart ‘Nothing in all creation is so like God as stillness.’

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Jundo

I'd just like to add that I'm a monthly donor to MSF, especially as my daughter is an ex senior trauma nurse [UK A&E] (just a few years from the frontline and now Snr Crisis/Incident Mgr for a UK NHS Trust), who has given her time gratis in the past. Despite the obvious US wealth - and without getting political, yeah what a wonderful welfare system you have - I make this donation today in good faith, to support those who will be over looked in such circumstances. Where would Yukio be without your charity ? Just a thought.

Nerve touched and now released and as always my utmost respect Roshi.

SIZ and LAH

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Jundo and everyone. A good reminder that help is needed even when it isn't in our faces on the news all day!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Thank you for this, Jundo.

I have been following this rain season not only in the US or my country but all over. Lots of places need help and most of them don't really have the same means as the First World.

Still, suffering is suffering and we do what we can to help.

Gassho and metta to all,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

There are so many ways to help. It doesn't have to take great effort. Today I went to a shoe store to buy some aerosol waterproof spray for my shoes. The cashier asked if I would like to buy a $10 bag of socks to donate to the people in Texas. I thought; well if I can spend $10 to keep the rain off my precious little shoes can I give socks to people who have no socks? Umm....Yeah.

Gassho/LAH
    Sat2Day
    James

I might dedicate our Zazen, and offer Metta, for all those in South Florida, my old home town, and nearby islands tonight.

Also, for the earthquake in Mexico, and all natural events worldwide.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-08-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo.

Yes we had a big earthquake last night in the south. There were only a few dead despite having quite a few collapsed buildings.

Here in my city (up north and close to the Pacific ocean) we didn't feel it, so all is okay.

Sitting for families going through the hardships of nature.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I might dedicate our Zazen, and offer Metta, for all those in South Florida, my old home town, and nearby islands tonight.

Also, for the earthquake in Mexico, and all natural events worldwide.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Yes thank you Jundo, sitting with the folks who may be affected by such tragedies and those who have faced such already.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現