Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sound and Silence with Sekishi and Daizan

The haunting sound of WW2 British warplanes over the city at 11/11/11.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-herma...17-11-10-45-am

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    The haunting sound of WW2 British warplanes over the city at 11/11/11.
    (...)
    They sound so massive and assertive and mix with memories from old b/w war films.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    They sound so massive and assertive and mix with memories from old b/w war films.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Today propeller driven planes are either light with small engines, or large turboprops, which are quiet. These things had heavy engines, both the bombers and the fighters which were made to accelerate. My mother talked about the raids over london and the fighting in the channel, and how she could hear the heavy base thrum and drone. I was born in 65 but for some reason whenever I hear that sound it gives me chills. Remembrance Day in Canada is not a flag waving, nationalist, event. There are cenotaphs and flags, but it does not play into jingoism. It is remembering the madness and waste of 1914-1918. I'm not sure about other countries but here the symbol of the day is the poppy, which grows in Flanders.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Last edited by RichardH; 11-13-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Thank you Daizan.

I remember my mother talking about the sound, too.
    She has childhood memories about WWII nights in Germany, Hamburg, without sleep, listening into the void.
    Often, the sound of the bombers was there before that of the sirens.
    Those were not only memories of fear, but also those of positive expectation.
    My Granny organised quite some toys and when the bombs were about to fall around them,
    she and the children of the neighbourhood came together, playing at night in the shelter under my grandparents house.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123