Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound and Silence with Sekishi and Daizan

Sound and Silence with Sekishi and Daizan

When we "open" our ears, whether sitting, standing, walking, or lying down, there is no subject and no object, no hearer and no heared. There is simply this, and the ear does not pick and choose.

This simple truth does not require effort to realize. It is not an achievement. It does not require a special activity or absence of activity....

It is effortless.

Wherever you are, what is the sound that you are now?

True silence is sound without picking and choosing. There is silence in the barking dog, the clatter of dishes, and the rumble of traffic.

There is stillness in movement.. and peace in a turbulent world.

Daizan....

Sekishi....

Welcome to the Treeleaf Audio library, where everyone is invited to share whatever sounds you hear. This will be an ongoing project hosted by Sekishi and me (Daizan), a thread that will keep growing, as we explore our sonic environment. There is no right or wrong sound. Also, please feel free to write any thoughts on hearing, letting go, and coming to our senses. Please share in writing your experiences.

sea shell.jpg

You can post audio files from our Treeleaf SoundCloud account, or from your own, or with a YouTube video. There are plenty of apps available for little or no cost that enable you to record at any moment in the day, simply, and to upload the recordings easily. If you need any help getting set up please PM Sekishi or Me.

https://soundcloud.com/treeleaf-zendo

Thank you for your time, and thank you for lending an ear!

Gassho

Daizan & Sekishi.

Sat today/ LAH
    Last edited by RichardH; 07-25-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Hello,

thank you Daizan and Sekishi,

I very much like this project and just walked outside to let you hear my 'japanese' garden.
    https://soundcloud.com/ralf-prehn-35...apanese-garden

@Sekishi: and I like that 4'33 piece also very much. The performer becomes the listener and the other way round.
    I've read somewhere, that there is also the dimension of a critique on the music industrie's fixed length music containers in it.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Mp
    Very nice my fellow brothers. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAh

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    thank you Daizan and Sekishi,

I very much like this project and just walked outside to let you hear my 'japanese' garden.
    https://soundcloud.com/ralf-prehn-35...apanese-garden
    A wonderful exploration of expectation and experience!

I've added it to our Treeleaf Art Circle Field Recordings playlist:
    https://soundcloud.com/treeleaf-zend...eld-recordings

Thank you Kotei!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi all,

I've gotten a few PMs on the topic of "how can I contribute", so I thought I'd post a little something.

If you'd like to contribute, there are a few options currently:

1. You can create your own soundcloud account and post (or PM) a link to your recording and I'll add it to the Treeleaf field recording playlist.
    2. You can send sent it to me some other way (a Dropbox or Google Drive link for example -- anyone have other services they can recommend such as box.com?) and I'll post the recording on the Treeleaf soundcloud account directly.
    3. If your recording isn't too large, you can just email me the file and I'll post it on the Treeleaf soundcloud account directly: sekishi@newriversdigital.com
    4. As Daizan mentioned, youtube videos posted in this thread are an option too.

If anyone has suggestions for other ways to organize this, please do let me know. I'm all ears (haha).

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

A lovely example of "music of nature" from Warren:

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

What a wonderful addition to anyone's practice. Lovely work gentlemen.

Gassho,
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    A lovely example of "music of nature" from Warren:

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Thank you for posting this for me Sekishi.

As a musician, sound is something I feel I am quite sensitive to. I love creating my own music and at times incorporating "found sounds" so I am on the lookout for opportunities to capture sounds.

About 18 months ago I suffered a significant hearing loss due to some barotrauma. I have lost almost all my hearing in my left ear and my right ear hearing is below average for a man my age. As a consequence I've been particularly sensitive to how sound impacts my life. I have incredible trouble discerning conversation in a noisy room, like a party. If I listen to music at home it is to listen to music not as background any more. What I have found though is that I really enjoy silence. Last night, for example I sat on my back deck and enjoyed the quiet. I actually find that I can hear the space, which may not make any sense to someone who hasn't lost their hearing. In noisy environment it feels as if the sonic walls are closing in, but in silence it is like staring out into the distant horizon.

Anyway.. thank you Sekishi and Daizan for this wonderful opportunity to share in one of my favourite passions. I look forward to hearing what other sounds/silences get posted.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat/LAH today

P.S. If you are curious, the audio clip that Sekishi posted for me worked its way into a piece of music you can hear here https://namewithnosound.bandcamp.com/track/erratics

Kyotai
    One of the very first nature scenes I made while out for a canoe trip. I can't remember the original duration, but I placed it on a loop. It was a very peaceful and beautiful experience. This audio scene contains no video, only a screenshot to accompany the sound.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    One of the very first nature scenes I made while out for a canoe trip. I can't remember the original duration, but I placed it on a loop. It was a very peaceful and beautiful experience. This audio scene contains no video, only a screenshot to accompany the sound.
    Thank you Kyotai. I was hoping you would post some of your recordings here.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro

Kyotai
    Thank you Kyotai. I was hoping you would post some of your recordings here.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

I wasn't sure as many of them have video..

Gassho, Kyotai

Video is ok.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today/LAH

I wasn't sure as many of them have video..
    That's ok. Please do share any you think appropriate.

I suspect others might like to share on YouTube as well. If we start to get a collection of them, maybe we can create a playlist on YouTube (like I started doing on SoundCloud).

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Kyotai
    I will post some, but you are free to use any of my videos over on my youtube channel if any are of use. I believe I have close to 100.

Gassho, Kyotai

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sekishi / Daizan

I look forward to sending you some sound clips. As a developing guitarist, exploring sounds, effects and silence, are an important part of that learning process.

More importantly the sounds of every day life. As much as I drink in the changing views of the countryside and season when walking with the dog, the sounds as as important and enlivening.

The change of acoustics and atmosphere as a storm approaches and silence descends before the rain. The cessation of birdsong replaced by rainfall, only to return to mark the passing of the storm.

Putting the dog out before bed, listening to the distant frogs and toads calling or crickets on a hot night.

When walking with my grandkids my daughter and I will often get them to stay quiet as we walk, then ask them to listen. Then ill ask what they can hear and they say "nothing" in response to the silence. And we say isn't it beautiful.

The sound of the forest floor under your feet.

So many more possible examples. But I will try to record something in the next few days.

Many thanks for sharing.

Gassho

STMIZ

Toby / Seishin-Do

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Daizan & Sekishi,

This looks like a very nice project. I've created the Soundcloud account
    and will try to contribute to that as well.

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat/lah

Here is my sound experience walking from the doctor's office (getting blood pressure monitored) across the street to a coffee shop for a coffee (which raises blood pressure ). It is not interesting. It is not meditative. It has no intended artistic merit. It is just the layers of sound encountered daily in urban life.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-herma...to-coffee-shop

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Here is my sound experience walking from the doctor's office (getting blood pressure monitored) across the street to a coffee shop for a coffee (which raises blood pressure ). It is not interesting. It is not meditative. It has no intended artistic merit. It is just the layers of sound encountered daily in urban life.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-herma...to-coffee-shop
    Awesome. Added to the playlist.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Kyotai
    Paddling on Jones Creek near Gananoque Ontario. Kids were in school, wife at work. Just me and the canoe.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Just sitting here, listening to traffic; humming, "Sound of Silence"...

Gassho, sat today, lah

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Here a short section of my daily dog walk. Unfortunately the wind got up a bit so there's quite a bit of "interference" on the mic - are there fluffly troll covers for smartphone. Anyways its a sample of country life, footfalls, panting dog and the odd bird call. Kept it going at 5:50 as despite the distant chainsaw, a couple of buzzards started calling and are just about visible in the last few seconds, before I stick my ugly mug in front of the camera.

Hope the link to my channel works.

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Paddling on Jones Creek near Gananoque Ontario. Kids were in school, wife at work. Just me and the canoe.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Took me back to my kyaking youth 45 years ago, love that sound. See you've got some wind as well.

STD

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Mp

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Very nice Kyotai ... I do love the sound of a paddle as it dips into water! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Mp
    The sound of nature, the sound of the mountains, the sound of a still and open mind. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    The sound of nature, the sound of the mountains, the sound of a still and open mind. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    Beutiful Shingn. Perfect but imperfect.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    Lovely.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

These are wonderful!!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mic placed at the entrance to an underground beehive:
    https://soundcloud.com/circumjacence...e-to-a-beehive

Nice stereo field -- awesome and a little scary with headphones!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Mic placed at the entrance to an underground beehive:
    https://soundcloud.com/circumjacence...e-to-a-beehive

Nice stereo field -- awesome and a little scary with headphones!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Wow... part of the brain says "danger" hearing that. Another part is just in wonder. Serious little animals..

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today/LAH

That's so cool!! Funny, there are similarities to the background hum at the airport... and it also reminds me of the little field where my Dad used to fly his RC airplanes with his buddies
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a video of the sound of the rocks tumbling in the waves that matches the sound clip Sekishi posted for me earlier

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Also a video I took in the forest. My wife and I were for a walk when we paused and realized it was dead silent. No animals. No cars. Just silence.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Interesting, the way the camera looks around, and the absolute silence (at least on my device with the volume way up..) creates a cinematic feeling of eerie suspense. The same silence...can be experienced different ways. ..Thank you.

Where in Ontario is this forest...?

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Where in Ontario is this forest...?
    It was taken on the same trip out to Vancouver Island my previous video with the rocks on French Beach was taken.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Wow, wonderful soundscapes. Thank you for posting.
    Warren, recognising this silence... Thank you for taking me with you.

The following sound was taken on my way to visiting an old friend.
    Had to wait a moment to let the police pass by.

"Metta to all involved."

https://soundcloud.com/ralf-prehn-35...-the-situation

metta.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post
    It was taken on the same trip out to Vancouver Island my previous video with the rocks on French Beach was taken.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today
    Very nice .... been there, it is just south of me. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Thought I'd share this short sound clip with you. My morning sit is normally in relative silence, whatever that is, with computer servos and fan stirring now and then and the sound of life outside in the courtyard of periodic birdsong. The recording below was taken after I'd finished zazen but accompanied me the whole 30 minutes. In fact it became quite hypnotic for a while.

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/sounds-of-zazen

So imagine my surprise to find the source I thought was outside, got louder when I went into the garage and an old storage basket in a back corner.

2nd video to follow

The youngster was taken out into the back field and deposited carefully in a safe place. The good news that was several hours ago and I've just checked and found that my little friend has departed.

Loving this thread btw.

STMIZ and I guess a little LAH

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I really love this. Thank you very much to both of you!

This morning I recorded one minute of the sounds outside my flat and it was a really interesting experience, not knowing what was going to happen for those sixty seconds and I found myself hoping for something interesting to occur! I was even tempted to do it again to make it 'better'! It was an experience like 4'33" in which the whole world became a performance and I was listening intently to everything with fresh ears.

Later in the morning when I sat, I found myself more aware of sounds.

I plan to spend one day recording 30 seconds of sounds every two hours or so to see how they change throughout the day. For now, here is my one minute of morning:

https://soundcloud.com/magic-drummer...ute-of-morning

I look forward to hearing how this project unfolds.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

What a great idea! I've had to develop a relationship with ambient sound since I started meditating a few years ago, as it can be so noisy in the apartment block where I live, right in town and especially in the summer. So I'm used to finding silence in chaos I'll see if I can record something. In the meantime I just found this article on Facebook, which I thought might be relevant here. https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/soun...-inner-worlds/
    Gassho
    Frankie

satwithyoutoday/lah

Hi Kokuu. That is so true... hoping for something interesting to occur. I easily fall into production mode, wanting to make an interesting and artful recording. Maybe it's not possible to be completely free of those impulses, but maybe possible to not get too caught up in them?

There is a giant pile driver being used in local subway construction, and when it starts up there is a deep thump.... thump... thump... that can be heard and felt all around the area. It would be nice to get that in the next recording!

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today/LAH

Hi folks

Another recording today, this time from my work in progress outdoor zendo/zen garden.

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thought this may help

Garden Zendo.jpg

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

That is lovely, Sesshin-Do! We should make an 'album' of these sounds.

I am not sure if this is completely in line with the project but unable to leave a good thing alone I added some ambient keys to the sound recording. A friend of mine may go on to use it for a video project (creativity begets creativity it would seem!).

Anyway: https://soundcloud.com/magic-drummer/closeness

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Kokuu

I really enjoyed that and found the keys rather soothing yes and album sounds like a good idea.

I've actually thought of using my recording program reaper to clean up some of the recordings I have been making. But have decided to leave them raw and unedited just being what they are.
    Like you I will try and record something on a daily basis and I'm looking forward to going to the beach with a family once the weather picks up for some interesting sounds.

BTW sorry about missing Tonglan last night the wrong Cohen was cancelled in favour of some family activity for all of us. So it would have been hard for me to extricate myself. Hopefully next time.

Gassho

Toby

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin-Do View Post
    Kokuu

I really enjoyed that and found the keys rather soothing yes and album sounds like a good idea.

I've actually thought of using my recording program reaper to clean up some of the recordings I have been making. But have decided to leave them raw and unedited just being what they are.
    Like you I will try and record something on a daily basis and I'm looking forward to going to the beach with a family once the weather picks up for some interesting sounds.

BTW sorry about missing Tonglan last night the wrong Cohen was cancelled in favour of some family activity for all of us. So it would have been hard for me to extricate myself. Hopefully next time.

Gassho

Toby

STMIZ

Ha ha voice to text!! For wrong Cohen read romcom. Doh.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

No worries at all. Family comes first!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I am partially deaf in the left ear at the frequency of the human voice, and partially deaf at all frequencies in the right ear. However, in total silence I can sometimes hear my heart beat with my pacemaker, and this is called pacing.

I know the music of cage, and he founded a school of music which followed his work. There are others like Phillip Glass with serial music as well, and others who I cannot recall. There is a type which many would be familiar--New Age Music.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

OK so here is today's short recording. Again from my usual morning dog walk (when I'm not off to get bread) just a little further on from the other day. This time I stopped to cut out the footfalls and excessive wind rush but the dog's still panting at least for a few seconds. At the time it feel almost silent, so it was interesting to hear some of the sounds on playback, that I was not conscious of at the time.

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast