Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Zazen Hangout Host Volunteers - Would You Host A Weekly Zazen Sitting?

Seeking Zazen Hangout Host Volunteers - Would You Host A Weekly Zazen Sitting?

Hi All.

I am seeking volunteers who would be willing to commit to hosting a weekly Zazen sitting video hangout for other Leafers.

We are trying to get a whole bunch of such hangouts scheduled, at different hours and days, so as to cover all our Treeleaf members in all time zones from Brisbane to St. Louis to Paris, and all variety of personal job schedules. The idea is that there would be many opportunities scattered during the week to see, hear and Sit! with other sitters live.

Sitting Hangouts should be from 25 or 30 minutes to an hour long or so (your choice) and consist of some or all of the following kind of scheduled activities (also your choice):

--- Chanting as a group at the start and/or end, for example, the Heart Sutra, the Verse of Atonement, the Four Vows, Metta Verses (all optional, up to the group host);

--- Sitting Zazen once or twice (up to you) for 25 or 30 minutes each time, or however long the host usually sits (we leave it to the host). Kinhin can be added for a few minutes as well;

--- Tea and Chat time at the end (optional, up to the host).

In fact, no need to even be so fancy: If you are already sitting at home, just commit to turn the camera on certain days and let others join with you even silently with sitting alone.

Not really much more to it than that. The host would be responsible for scheduling or opening a hangout each time and notify folks who express interest (we can show you how)

We understood too that life sometimes intervenes, so it is fine if ... like anything in life ... you sometimes have to get someone to "cover" for you or even cancel now and then. But generally, we would like the hosts to commit responsibly to their day and time. Yes, two or more people could agree to take turns for a time slot.

I am thinking that hosts should be preferably long time members of Treeleaf who can truly commit, generally folks who have been part of the Sangha for at least a year.

If you think that you might commit to host such a weekly sitting at a reasonably stable time, please post in this thread or PM me with the time or ranges of possible hours and days when you would be able to do so. We will try to pick times that do not overlap as much as possible. If a host wants to commit to more than once a week, that's okay too.

Here is our present calendar of sittings each day (link also in the top banner of this page) ...

CURRENT SITTING CALENDAR
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...GmRaNGoGw/edit

We also have a Treeleaf Group at Insight Timer, although of course, without the benefit of seeing or hearing each other except in heart ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...Treeleaf-Group

We would love to have all times and places of Sitting! (and yes, this would be a LAH activity that day for our hosts! )

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-19-2017 at 02:50 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quick question as I consider this. How do you attend the current scheduled sits on the calendar? I have standing invitations for Coffeehouse and Fukudenkai and was aware of the Unsui's sits, but did not know how to access them. I would like to participate at least once in each Unsui's sits to see how it is done before I commit (perhaps that would be a good idea for anyone wanting to do this)

Gassho,
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Quote Originally Posted by Myogan View Post
    Quick question as I consider this. How do you attend the current scheduled sits on the calendar? I have standing invitations for Coffeehouse and Fukudenkai and was aware of the Unsui's sits, but did not know how to access them. I would like to participate at least once in each Unsui's sits to see how it is done before I commit (perhaps that would be a good idea for anyone wanting to do this)

Gassho,
    Sat
    Hey Myogan,

I know for myself and I think this is similar with other folks is, contact them via a PM and get added to their Google+ sitting group. We did specific sittings groups so that we would not overfill peoples inboxes with all the sitting notifications. Each of us does things a little different, but yet the same. =)

Hope that helps.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Ah! Thank you, I will do that
    Gassho

Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

This is a wonderful idea! I've missed sitting live since my schedule doesn't allow me to sit the zazenkai on Friday nights anymore.
    I'm available to host a sitting on Wednesday or Thursday nights, 6-10 Central time.

Gassho, Zenmei
    #sat

It would very nice if somehow a live feed of the Japan Zendo was on 24/7 and folks could join on google hangouts at will.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    It would very nice if somehow a live feed of the Japan Zendo was on 24/7 and folks could join on google hangouts at will.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Your wish is our command. Here you are, live real time 24/7 Zazen HD feed from the Zendo in Treeleaf Japan right now.

VIDEO LIVE IMAGE:

Don't worry about when you come in or need to leave or a bathroom break, we will just keep on sitting!

Gassho, J

SatToday(24/7)/LAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-19-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Joyo
    Hello Jundo, I would like to help out, but with all that is going on with my life (mostly revolving around parenting duties, helping my son with his behaviour issues) I just know, at this time in my life, I would not be able to commit to another thing.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Hello Jundo, I would like to help out, but with all that is going on with my life (mostly revolving around parenting duties, helping my son with his behaviour issues) I just know, at this time in my life, I would not be able to commit to another thing.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah
    Sometimes we cannot do one more thing, well understood. Someone like you does us just by being you.

These groups will also need folks to be the participants sometimes to sit when time allows, so you can do that sometimes.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

I want to do this,if I can.

Let me know in Japanese or easy English?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kakunen; 06-19-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Hi Jundo,

Due to my new work schedule, I've been sitting very consistently Mon-Fri for 30 minutes starting at 6:30h every morning for the last 6 months (weekends and evening sittings are not that regular). It would be basically silent sitting for 30 minutes, since my wife and daughter are asleep and I don't want to take the risk to be attacked by my wife if I chant so early in the morning

Therefore, I'd be willing to host a silent 30 minutes sitting any weekday (or all of them) from 6:30 am to 7:00 am CET (9:30pm Los Angeles, 0:30 am New York, 5:30 am London, 6:30 Madrid, 1:30pm Tokyo). Thank you!!

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday/LAH
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Your wish is our command. Here you are, live real time 24/7 Zazen HD feed from the Zendo in Treeleaf Japan right now.

VIDEO LIVE IMAGE:

Don't worry about when you come in or need to leave or a bathroom break, we will just keep on sitting!

Gassho, J

SatToday(24/7)/LAH
    That's a painting of a rice cake without the rice cake included.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    That's a painting of a rice cake without the rice cake included.
    How could it possibly be excluded?

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    How could it possibly be excluded?

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    It excludes live sitting (not Dogen's all inclusive rice cake painting). Not one bright pearl man.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Last edited by Jishin; 06-19-2017 at 04:37 PM.

It looks like a permanent google hangout can be set up according to this 1:30 video. It seems that if someone creates the link and let the link be know to others, folks can came and go at will. I think its like telling people what the link is for zazenkai on fridays so they can join except this link would never be closed. A 24/7 hangout that can be used for Zazen by anyone at anytime. Is my understanding correct? If so, we can start a thread called Brick and Mortar Treeleaf or something like that and just keep the link posted there.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Thank you! I can never make the Friday/ Saturday sittings. I'm still in a chair, but I could commit to a sitting Wednesday evening cst, gmt-6

It looks like a permanent google hangout can be set up according to this 1:30 video. It seems that if someone creates the link and let the link be know to others, folks can came and go at will. I think its like telling people what the link is for zazenkai on fridays so they can join except this link would never be closed. A 24/7 hangout that can be used for Zazen by anyone at anytime. Is my understanding correct? If so, we can start a thread called Brick and Mortar Treeleaf or something like that and just keep the link posted there.

Gassho, Jishin, ST
    I like your idea!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Joyo
    Sometimes we cannot do one more thing, well understood. Someone like you does us just by being you.

These groups will also need folks to be the participants sometimes to sit when time allows, so you can do that sometimes.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Hello Jundo,

I would like to volunteer! However, I am computer remedial and would need some help in understanding how this is set up. I know I do have a camera on my laptop but I have never seriously used it except to make faces at it. That is about all I know. My husband and I sit usually at 10AM. In the Fall, we will start tutoring 2nd graders and I do not know yet whether it will be Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. So we could host a video (will this have to be recorded??) on Fridays or Sundays from 10AM to 10:30 or 10:35. Dogs will be present.And a cat that snores.

A new adventure!! Gassho
    Ansan
    SatToday

Gassho, Jishin, ST
    This is very helpful, and I turn it over to our Google+ team (Sekishi and Co.) to see.

But I could not create at this time a permanent video cam image from Treeleaf Zendo Japan unless I left a computer or internet connected camera running 24/7 in the Zendo (with the lights burning, because it is dark in there at night ). plus it is empty most of the time unless you want me and some folks to live in there 24/7 too. Given time zones, you could sit while watching me sleep.

In the original design for Treeleaf, we thought of an image of an "always burning incense stick in front of an Altar", and it is possible we could do that somehow.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

I agree with Jishin. As far as I know, once the link to the Hangout has been created and shared, you don't need to keep your computer turned on. People would be able to click on the link at will even if there was nobody else connected at that time. I don't think these links expire, but the event date can be set far away in the future to avoid this anyway.

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday/LAH
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Quote Originally Posted by Ansan View Post
    Hello Jundo,

I would like to volunteer! However, I am computer remedial and would need some help in understanding how this is set up. I know I do have a camera on my laptop but I have never seriously used it except to make faces at it. That is about all I know. My husband and I sit usually at 10AM. In the Fall, we will start tutoring 2nd graders and I do not know yet whether it will be Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. So we could host a video (will this have to be recorded??) on Fridays or Sundays from 10AM to 10:30 or 10:35. Dogs will be present.And a cat that snores.

A new adventure!! Gassho
    Ansan
    SatToday
    A snoring cat�� I had to ban my older dog from sitting with me because he snores loudly! Stay cool in that desert. It is very hot over here but your temperatures are even higher.

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    A snoring cat�� I had to ban my older dog from sitting with me because he snores loudly! Stay cool in that desert. It is very hot over here but your temperatures are even higher.

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday/LAH
    Yes folks, please stay safe and cool ... I heard on the radio it was 49c/120f in Phoenix https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...warning?espv=1

This is a good opportunity to LAH in your community if you see someone who is in need of help. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyo View Post
    I agree with Jishin. As far as I know, once the link to the Hangout has been created and shared, you don't need to keep your computer turned on. People would be able to click on the link at will even if there was nobody else connected at that time. I don't think these links expire, but the event date can be set far away in the future to avoid this anyway.
    A few of us were testing this general concept last week, and it seemed like the links didn't "expire" exactly, but depending on how the link is created, sometimes they just ... sort of stop working (like if two people follow the same link they cannot see each other, or in another instance the plugin just errors out after a few minutes, etc.).

We will do some more testing in the next few days and try to find some consistency.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

I would like to volunteer for Tuesday evenings, 7pm, New York time. I would need some assistance setting this up. Let me know if this day/ time is acceptable.

Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, I. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

If it works, I really like Jishin's idea!

Gassho, sat today

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I have sitting with my local Sangha tonight, but I wanted to check in really quick and let everyone know that we've figured out some cool stuff behind the scenes. I'll be posting more later tonight, but I'm really excited - I think neat stuff is coming!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #lah #sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    sekishi
    石志

I have sitting with my local Sangha tonight, but I wanted to check in really quick and let everyone know that we've figured out some cool stuff behind the scenes. I'll be posting more later tonight, but I'm really excited - I think neat stuff is coming!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #lah #sat

Cool! Looking forward to hearing what you guys are cooking up!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Gassho,
    Sekishi #lah #sat

Great. But I may not be able to stay up that late Thanks for your works.

Gassho
    Doshin
    sattoday/lah

I just want to say thank you to the people volunteering to host. Keep em coming!

We will sort out the schedules and locations, come up with some kind of plan.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday/LAH
    Hi Doshin,

Actually, A snoring cat and two big old dogs that share my zabuton are just part of the scenery along with the noise of the jets overhead and the fans of the evap cooler to chase out the heat. Hot? Anything under a 100 is welcome right now. In this case, inside is better than outside! It is only 118 today in the shade.

Gassho
    Ansan
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Yes folks, please stay safe and cool ... I heard on the radio it was 49c/120f in Phoenix https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...warning?espv=1

This is a good opportunity to LAH in your community if you see someone who is in need of help. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    Hello Shingen,

Thank you for the reminder! I will stock our cooler with iced water bottles for our visit into Phoenix tomorrow. There are a lot of homeless sitting under trees.

Gassho
    Ansan
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Ansan View Post
    Hello Shingen,

Thank you for the reminder! I will stock our cooler with iced water bottles for our visit into Phoenix tomorrow. There are a lot of homeless sitting under trees.

Gassho
    Ansan
    SatToday
    Thank you Ansan, sounds like a lovely gesture of kindness. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

A proposal that may make it easier to host weekly sittings, or even sit together unscheduled:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...odest-Proposal

Gassho,
    Sekishi #lah #sat
    sekishi
    石志

Good afternoon, y'all,

I can commit to Wednesday evenings, EST - 8 or 9 pm would be best for me.

_/|\_

>haven't sat - at work - but will<

Good Day,

I would like to volunteer for Saturday Morning 8:00 am Central. The new Zendo Hangout has been a wonderful experience.

Gassho
    Sat
    LAH
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

Thank you all. We will work all these into the "official" calendar, get folks set up with some instructions.

Also, always open to more volunteers. Many bows to our Hosts.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Thank you all. We will work all these into the "official" calendar, get folks set up with some instructions.

Also, always open to more volunteers. Many bows to our Hosts.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    I saw official calendar.

But how to join this Zazenkai?

Maybe same system at Statuday,but I can not find adress.

Let me know detail.

Gassho.

You can add my name on the list to host a sit. I am flexible about day/time as long as it is not too late nor too early in my time zone!

Doshin
    st/LAH

You can add my name on the list to host a sit. I am flexible about day/time as long as it is not too late nor too early in my time zone!

Doshin
    st/LAH
    Hey Doshin,

I will pencil or should I dsy type you in and let you see if it works for you. =)

Do you perfer morning, mid day, or evening?

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Morning is good....early 6:30 am to 9 am MST in US if there are slots needing filling (Evenings when available I am sitting with some guy in BC)

but i am flexible

Gassho
    Doshin
    st/lah

Morning is good....early 6:30 am to 9 am MST in US if there are slots needing filling (Evenings when available I am sitting with some guy in BC)

but i am flexible

Gassho
    Doshin
    st/lah
    Awesome sounds good ...

Some guy in BC? Got to watch out for them. LOL =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

There does not seem to be a scheduled sitting at 6 AM Central time on Monday anymore. I could do one on Monday and Tuesday at that time.

Sat/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousui View Post
    There does not seem to be a scheduled sitting at 6 AM Central time on Monday anymore. I could do one on Monday and Tuesday at that time.

Sat/LAH
    Hey Kyousui,

If you would like to host one, I can add you to the list? Let me know and I will make it happen. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey Kyousui,

If you would like to host one, I can add you to the list? Let me know and I will make it happen. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    I will be interested in doing as I suggested but next week I will be a a week long sesshin at NZC so I'll make a commitment after that.
    Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousui View Post
    I will be interested in doing as I suggested but next week I will be a a week long sesshin at NZC so I'll make a commitment after that.
    Sat/LAH
    Sounds good, just let me know when you are ready. Have a great time on retreat. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Hi Jundo,

Ive been thinking about this for some time now.

Im looking at a weekday 7am Melbourne Australia time before work type time slot. Im just confirming a quiet room at work to use at that time.

Sat today. Lent a hand.

Gassho

Frank

I used to use the free sitting room frequently, but I stopped because nobody but me was using it. I can start using it again. I sit for 20 minutes a day 3 times a day at 6 am, 12 pm and 6pm EST.
    Peace begins inside

Hi all,

Friends who keep sitting in SSR kindly note that the DTS here (and most of Europe) ends October 28.
    Clocks will be turned by 1 hour backwards.
    Thank you.

Gassho
    Washin
    st
    Kaido (有道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything what I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I would be able to host a ssr on Saturday evening at 8 pm Central US time.

SAT/LAH