Thread: LIVING by VOW: The Four Bodhisattva Vows - PP 31 to 41 (thru Magnanimous Mind)

LIVING by VOW: The Four Bodhisattva Vows - PP 31 to 41 (thru Magnanimous Mind)

Hello All Vowers and Vowees,

I feel that this week's material is also pretty dense with good things, so let us take it slow. This week is only about 10 pages.

Another observation I need to let sink in: Uchiyama Roshi's "The true mind of sentient beings - that is, universal self - itself is vow."

Also, "the whole of sitting is the practice of vow and, at the same time, the practice of repentance."

And, "repentance does not mean saying 'I'm sorry' ... as Buddhists repentance means awareness of our imperfections and limitations."

As to the Three Minds, I find them beautiful perspectives on our Practice and all of life.

How would joyful mind come into play in your life and daily activities? How about parental mind? How about maganimous mind?

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-04-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, let the sinking begin. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Thank you, Jundo.

If I remember correctly these core teachings from Uchiyama Roshi are straight out of Opening the Hand of Thought and his translation of Instructions for the Tenzo.
    They're really fantastic! "One sitting, two practices and three minds" spells it out 1, 2, 3.

The discussion of what is meant by vow (life itself, really) and repentance (awareness of our individual limitations as opposed to traditional, Western contrition) is also well written.
    I like the three minds analogy and I believe it relates somehow to a traditional Japanese three stringed instrument?
    In any case joyfulness, caring/compassion and equanimity clearly articulate the "posture" of the Bodhisattva.

Moving through our every day lives we can actualize these three minds in any activity and they support each other.
    Working hard at a difficult task we use magnanimous mind to try to remember that "hard" or "easy" are a by product of discriminating thoughts (this reminds me of Ummon's "Mount Sumeru!" koan)
    At the same time we can have compassion for ourselves and others (after all, we're only human and life can be difficult sometimes!)
    And by seeing the situation with magnanimity and compassion we increase the possibility of bringing joyfulness to the surface.

Great stuff. Really enjoying this book so far!

Gassho,
    Hoko
    #SatToday
    LAH
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

I echo what Hoko says here
    If I remember correctly these core teachings from Uchiyama Roshi are straight out of Opening the Hand of Thought and his translation of Instructions for the Tenzo.
    They're really fantastic! "One sitting, two practices and three minds" spells it out 1, 2, 3.
    I've just finished Opening the Hand of Thought, what an amazing book.

I thought this was beautiful and to be held in mind
    According to Dogen Zenji, our sitting is not part of our practice, but rather other activities are part of our zazen.
    I love the idea of the three minds, but admit I've had some difficulty with the terminology. I had no problem with Joyous Mind at all, it resonated with all sorts of things for me, from our Precious Human Birth right along to Thich Nhat Hanh's beautiful explanation of washing dishes and it's a practice that I use all the time, especially when those small dissatisfactions and graspings are biting me. I loved this..
    Dogen remarks further, "Now I have the fortune to be born a human being and prepare food to be received by the three jewels. Is this not a great karmic affinity
    and this
    Cooking is in itself a perfect action if it is cooking just for the sake of cooking.
    These small things have really helped me in my daily life - this might seem quite mundane, but I used to resent every second of doing household chores, thinking constantly of what a waste of time they were and how I could be doing something more enjoyable, like reading. By making myself fully present with what I was doing, and doing it for its own sake, I found that I wanted to wash the dishes, sweep the floors, clean the house to the very best of my ability - who'd have thought it

What I did find a bit problematic was the expression Parental Mind - would this be because I'm not a parent myself? I'm not sure. I'd much rather use the words Nurturing Mind, to me this is an expression that has a slightly different feel, less patriarchal perhaps, although as I write I am beginning to understand more clearly the analogy between 'watching over water and grain' and paying attention to everything and 'how the Buddha manifests parental mind, the attitude of caring for things and other people'. I really liked the idea of nurturing the Dharma, especially as I'm more used to thinking about how the Dharma nurtures me.

Magnanimous mind I also equate with equanimity, something that I sometimes find difficult and which I seem to be struggling with quite often at the moment, nearly every time I look at the news in fact, but I'm holding on to this..
    Spring, summer autumn and winter are one season. We should accept them as one reality of life. This is magnanimous mind.
    Sometimes I find it hard not to judge - in fact I was writing out the Nurturing Seeds reminder a couple of days ago and for my own sake I added 'Judgement' to the list, with equanimity and compassion as its opposite.

I like the idea of reminding myself daily of the Three Minds and vowing to practice them. This book is such a gift.

Gassho
    Sat with you all today.

I read these pages this morning, then sat zazen, then lived life for a while (worked on a project, ate lunch, watched TV, took a nap, took out the garbage, etc.), then came back to write this...

I like the hand analogy.
    Our life is like a hand. When we see it as a hand, there is no distinction between the fingers, each finger is independent and has its own name and characteristics. Each has a unique shape and function. They can act independently and are not interchangeable. In the same way human beings are individuals. If we cut off a finger, it can't function as a finger anymore. A finger always works with other fingers. This is the reality of human life as well, but we often forget and think of ourselves only as individuals. This is a fundamental delusion for us. We have to wake up to the reality that we can be a finger only in relationship to other fingers working as one hand. The hand can be a family, a sangha, a society, or the whole universe. Yet if we think of this community as an entity in itself, it can become another, bigger ego.
    I am part of many sanghas, and I take refuge in them, but I also act too much like a finger sometimes. I am working on the whole concept of freedom within the constraints of a sangha, which leads me to this:
    To vow to save all beings doesn't mean that we believe we have the power to help all those who are in trouble. Imagining that were so would truly be quite arrogant. to same all beings means to be one with all beings. We cannot become one with others by means of our individual efforts. But we can wake up to the reality that from the beginning we are one with all beings. That is why we [I] study the obstacles that prevent us from seeing this reality.
    As for the three minds, I think of joyful mind as grateful and dynamic, parental mind as nurturing and attentive, and magnanimous mind as equanimous. I like the metaphor of a surfer who surfs the waves of a great ocean (life), constantly adjusting for balance, and sometimes falling before getting back up to catch another wave, and sometimes he even needs to rest on the beach. It's zazen as life and life as zazen.

Hang 10 everyone.
    Last edited by AlanLa; 06-08-2017 at 12:33 AM.
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Thanks for sharing that Jigen

gassho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

ha! that's cool!

I love this book. "How to cook your life" is such a great book also. These 3 minds are such a fundamental attitude of my practice, and it is absolutely practice for me because I fall back into habits.

A great practice ground for me is work. Over the years I've become more senior on the team, and my responsibilities have grown to reflect that. I could really write a lot about these 3 minds, but I couldn't do Shohaku justice, so I will try to keep this as terse as possible.

All 3 minds are very important. There are stressors at work. Different priorities etc. This goes for life too of course. In any case, when leading I was nervous at first because I wanted to do a good job. Then it occurred to me, if I focus on taking care of my people, then the rest will into place. That parental mind is really important. It extends to life; taking care of people, taking care of ourselves. How should I eat, workout, etc to take care of myself? That's parental mind. These 3 minds are really all so related, I think I'll just keep on with parental mind. At work, I used to be so used to deferring to someone with more authority, but I've started to just try to defer to myself as much as I can. Not only do I have to take care of my people, but I have to take care of my manager as well. For example, I feel one of my main job functions is to not add to and to relieve stress. So with so much going on at work, I try to be very careful with burdening others.

I really love this practice. Taking care of others and taking responsibility for whatever you can, not complaining, these can be difficult but at the same time they root me into my life. These attitudes bring about joy and magnanimity. Complaining does no good. Step back, slow down, and assess. Where are we? What do we have to do to move on? I default to complain mode, but by dropping that it really brings a lot of joy. That magnanimity does not come natural; its' much easier to complain.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday/LAH

Joyo
    I have a son that was recently diagnosed with having a disorder that causes many behaviour problems. This book is really helping me learn how to nurture myself and how to be a better parent to him.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Joyo,

I just wanted to wish you metta.

Gassho,
    Risho
    -sattoday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    Joyo,

I just wanted to wish you metta.

Gassho,
    Risho
    -sattoday
    Thank you, that is very kind!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I really love the hand imagine in this section. The duality of nature is something that is always hard to describe and understand.

I really liked this

Life is like a hand. When we see it as a head, there is no distinction between the fingers. But when we see it as a collection of fingers,
    each finger is independent and has its own name and characteristics. Each has a unique shape and function. They can act independently and are not interchangeable. ... This is the reality of human life as well, but we often forget and think of ourselves only as individuals.
    I don't have much to say about it, but I have a feeling I will come back to that line of thinking over and over.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Thank you for all the lovely insightful posts, as usual. This book is like drinking a cold glass of water when thirsty I am catching up to you all the past couple of days, the way practice and vow is described in these pages is so poetically and beautifully written. Confronted by multiple situations which in years past would have sent me spiraling into shock and depression, I have practiced joyful mind: how fortunate am I to be presented with these situations, providing me with both a chance to learn about myself and help others at every turn.... parental mind, keeping a watchful, skillful eye over multiple situations that require attention.... and magnanimous mind, this period of time is neither "bad" nor "good," just what it is right now.

Treeleaf is indeed providing the environment in which these vows are nurtured, as I have received messages of support and love from my dear brothers and sisters here over the past week that have made it much easier to be awake to my own vows. It works!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Another thought that occurs to me: it seems as if living by vow naturally follows the arising of bodhicitta?

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

First, I'd like to say thanks for taking this slowly and in smaller bits. My ability to read and process info isn't what it used to be due to some medical stuff. However, I'm enjoying the book.

I really like this quote from Dogen. I think it's a wonderful perspective on performing any task:

"Now I have the fortune to be born a human being and prepare food to be received by the three jewels. Is this not a great karmic affinity? We must be very happy about this."

Serving others isn't always pleasant or glamorous. It's helpful to remember that we are lucky for the opportunity to do so.

Gassho,
    Entai
    St/LAH

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Heaven is not a good place to practice
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the lag folks, I'm catching up from behind and reading slowly! This book keeps getting better and better. This section is of particular interest to me because I'm "co-reading" Opening the Hand of Thought. Uchiyama's perspective really resonates with me: at some points--particularly in OTHOT I feel as if I'm reading things that I've always believed to be true, but never expressed in words before. I also appreciate how Uchiyama challenges the reader without condescending. Personally, it really inspires me to practice.

As far as "The Three Minds" are concerned, I immediately saw areas of my life and practice in which I could improve in all three categories. lol. Each of the three shed light on different attitudes I kind of carry around as a baseline point of reference that don't necessarily have to be so. For example, the section on Joyful Mind really made me consider my attitude toward my day to day circumstances. While I'm sure most people would welcome--even actively desire--an improvement in their day to day circumstances, and I'm no exception. Sometimes I even go as far as to throw a mild pity party because I don't feel I'm "where I should be in life." But to read in the excerpt from the Tenzokyokun,
    You must reflect that if you were born in heaven you would cling to ceaseless bliss and not give rise to the Way-seeking mind.
    and Okumura's subsequent commentary
    ...If we don't encounter some hardship or difficulty, we don't arouse bodhi-mind. We won't seek after the Way when our life is full of happiness and joy. Heaven is not a good place to practice.
    In other words, we're called to accept that if things were any better, they wouldn't be nearly as good! I almost laughed out loud when I read that. Truly inspiring.

The Paternal Mind was also a real eye-opener. Having recently become a father for the first time--as of late February--I can confidently say that I've never felt anything like the love I feel for my son. And my life before he was born was not without genuine love, but what I feel for my son almost deserves its own word. Love is almost too weak to describe it. Now, I learn this practice calls for me to approach everyone with that kind of love? Talk about a tall order. It's inspiring, sure, but I just learned this type of love was possible <4 months ago, suffice it to say I've got some serious work to put in. Also, it strikes me as odd to hear a monastic like Dogen describe to other monastics the necessity of maintaining a love for all beings that only mothers and fathers of only children can understand. Would anyone care to take a swing at how that's even conceivable?

Finally, Magnanimous Mind. This is the one I feel I am most comfortable with. That being said, I am way better at maintaining this attitude when I'm giving advice to other people, or mediating a discussion between two separate parties. I could seriously benefit from practicing this more closely when it concerns my own personal life and feelings.

Again, sorry for the delayed post! I should be able to keep up to speed now!

Gassho,

Taylor
    SatToday/LAH
    a bee / staggers out / of the peony.
    -matsuo basho

I am so far behind, I feel like I am starting from scratch. But I think that's ok, seeing the comments here. I think we each have our own storms going on. Joyo, metta for you and your child.

Tapatalk is blunt, it told me "you don't have permission to post here" :O So I logged onto the forum instead, and realised it was just that the last section had finished (phew! thought I did something wrong and couldn't remember). So I am really behind, but will just read when I am able to. I think it's ok. I learned last year that everything has its season, and that it is all part of our temple, and nothing exists outside of our temple, no matter how grungy or messy or stormy it gets.

Thank you all for sharing your practice here, it really helps me to understand my own practice better.

gassho
    kim
    (chanted today)
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    I am so far behind, I feel like I am starting from scratch. But I think that's ok, seeing the comments here. I think we each have our own storms going on. Joyo, metta for you and your child.

Tapatalk is blunt, it told me "you don't have permission to post here" :O So I logged onto the forum instead, and realised it was just that the last section had finished (phew! thought I did something wrong and couldn't remember). So I am really behind, but will just read when I am able to. I think it's ok. I learned last year that everything has its season, and that it is all part of our temple, and nothing exists outside of our temple, no matter how grungy or messy or stormy it gets.

Thank you all for sharing your practice here, it really helps me to understand my own practice better.

gassho
    kim
    (chanted today)
    You are not behind at all Kim, we all work at our own pace. Plus, this book is such a gem, you will read it more then once. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I'm enjoying reading all your profound thoughts--it's a gift reading this beautiful book as a sangha.

Touching on Jundo's question about how the three minds manifest in our daily lives, I think my biggest struggles are Joyful and Magnanimous Minds. I think Parental Mind has always come naturally to me. Having had a painful childhood, I have never been able to stand seeing any being in pain, and I stepped into the parental role quite young--towards myself and others. When I am with people, I am always focused on supporting them so that they feel secure and loved and confident. Not in a people-pleasing way; I can say difficult truths when I see that's what a student or loved one needs. I just wouldn't have the slightest idea how to teach my students without this Parental Mind of self-sacrifice and complete focus on nurturing the other.

But Joyful Mind is much harder for me, especially these last few years of growing health problems and disability. It's something I'm working on, and this sangha is helping. But it's definitely an area of growth. Truly, the way Okumura described it, Joyful Mind sounded like "Grateful Mind" to me. I also struggle with "Magnanimous Mind." I'm a writer and a student of many languages, and so I'm obsessed with finding the "mot juste" for everything. It is nearly impossible to use language free of judgment--words carry so much flavor and tint. Trying not to label things and just see them--without the connotations and implications inherent to labels-is very hard for me. Sometimes I can during zazen, but living that way? I don't know.

I was most interested in the ideas of repentance and vow that Okumura further refined in this section. I cannot believe that simply being aware of my limitations is the whole of repentance. Surely we must also act--apologize, strive to do better--beyond sitting? Is this why he says that "Vow AND repentance are two kinds of energy that enable us to continue our practice" (p. 34)? Perhaps the vow part is what most other traditions view as the act of repentance (making things right with those we have harmed)?

Gassho
    Melanie
    SatToday

Magnanimous Mind is a struggle for me, until I sit, then my ego is taken down a notch. During the rest of the time nurturing mind often prevails, but in my profession I have to be careful, nurturing a sick patient can quickly become arrogance when dealing a child's difficult parent.

whether one believes in the 6 realms it is easy to see parallels in life, and the fact that my life has led to the Dharma is still quite astonishing, like the blind turtle

imagine a single floating ring drifting randomly in the great oceans!
    Imagine also a blind turtle swimming about, which surfaces only once every 100 years...
    What do you think, Bhikkhus, would that blind turtle by chance often dive right up under
    this randomly drifting single ring and insert its neck into this half meter wide hole?
    If it ever would happen at all, Sir, it would only happen after an incredibly long time!
    Yet, Bhikkhus and friends, I tell you, that this would happen sooner, than a fool, who has
    fallen into the lower levels of existence, would again regain this rare human state

129-balapandita
    Gashho
    sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. Easton View Post
    But Joyful Mind is much harder for me, especially these last few years of growing health problems and disability. It's something I'm working on, and this sangha is helping. But it's definitely an area of growth. Truly, the way Okumura described it, Joyful Mind sounded like "Grateful Mind" to me.
    Hi Melanie

I think you are right to tie "Joyful" and "Grateful" together. I think it is very easy to get wrapped up in a lot of the negativity that seems to pervade society today. Stopping to recognize that there is a lot to be grateful for is an antidote.

My wife, son and I have a supper time ritual of recounting what in the day we are thankful for. Some days it is easy but on some days it can be downright difficult to see through the muck of the day to pull out something positive to be grateful for. No one gets a pass and when we have guests for supper they join in. To me it is a great practise and one that leads to a more positive Joyful mind.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today but no LAH yet.