Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A TREELEAF PROJECT with EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION REQUESTED: “LAH” (Lend A Hand)

A TREELEAF PROJECT with EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION REQUESTED: “LAH” (Lend A Hand)

Dear All,

As you know, we've asked folks to write “SAT TODAY” next to their signature before posting in this Forum. "SAT TODAY" means that someone has sat Zazen sometime during the past day, and that they will have “sat before chatting” in the Forum.

Signing "SatToday" - Please "Sat" before Forum "Chat" (LINK)

Now, to enliven and activate our Treeleaf “ENGAGED & CHARITABLE PROJECTS CENTER (LINK) we're are requesting something more:

I am asking that all Treeleaf members, in some way, perform an extra “good deed” each day (something that they do not otherwise daily do) dedicated in their heart to Treeleaf Sangha. When they do so, they should put “LAH” or “Lent A Hand” next to their signature too, as a way to show their participation by having done a special deed during the previous day. For example:

“SatTodayLAH” or “ST/Lent A Hand” etc.

This should be a Practice done each day. Be "on the lookout" for each day's special deed. The “good deeds” can be big or small, perhaps helping a senior citizen cross the street, or marching for peace in the streets, or cleaning a city street! It can range from saying a small kind word to someone who looks like they need a smile that day, to finally bringing peace in the Middle East! Donating a penny or a million dollars to a charity, all good deeds. Most may take a moment, some may take all day. If someone has a physical disability or the like, then writing an email to support a social cause or posting something kind online will count. Making a financial donation to a charity you do not otherwise make will count.

Any size act, big or small, is welcome. They can be very imaginative or most ordinary. We leave it to your own conscience and heart. Yes, of course, many of these things are acts that our good people at Treeleaf would "have done anyway" , but just should be a little “extra something” that you suddenly do and dedicate to this Sangha in your heart. It can be part of a regularly scheduled weekly volunteer or like activity, but even there we ask that you add a little something extra, a special extra act or deed of some kind, that you dedicate to this "Lend A Hand" Project.

One difference from “Sat Today” is that "LAH"will not be a “requirement” in any way, no asking someone not to post or join in here, and no criticism or “finger wag” by me in any way if you don’t do this or put “LAH” on your post. I will regularly offer just positive encouragement. The point of all this is simply to build a group spirit of charity, and a sense of participation as a Sangha community “Team Project.” By other folks seeing “LAH,” we are not bragging in any way (there should be no indication by you whatsoever of how or what you did) … and offering an extra smile or rescuing a child from a burning building are all the same. We leave it to individual conscience, circumstances and your heart and feeling each day.

HOWEVER, we will encourage folks to submit ANONYMOUSLY their stories of “Good Deeds” from time to time to our “GOJO BODHISATTVA” anonymous publication system, found at the following links. The reason is not to brag, but to provide examples of good deeds to inspire others.:

GOJO BODHISATTVA LINK

Submit to Gojo, the Treeleaf Bodhisattva of cooperative compassion, by sending an email to: gojo@treeleaf.org

By telling these stories ANONYMOUSLY, the good deed doer takes little credit, yet your posting will serve to motivate and inspire countless others. (You can write an email with your deed to our ombudsman for GOJO who will remove your name and identifying information before posting. Everyone can then read the story, but nobody except the confidential ombudsman will know who did so).

In fact, in traditional Buddhist belief it is the GIVER who is indebted to the RECIPIENT for an opportunity of merit, as much as the other way around. We try not to be too proud or take too much credit, but it is okay to feel good about it too. Giver, Gift and Receiver are truly one.

I confess to having stolen this idea completely from several like movements around the world (this kind of good idea is free to steal with only good Karma resulting). For example "Pay It Forward" "Pass It On" and the like:

So, THANK YOU!!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-27-2020 at 03:03 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo,

LAH di da, I think this is cool, I'm on board. It's really just moving from a vague intention or vow to be helpful, to an intentional intention. Dedicating it in our minds to Treeleaf is a lovely practice. It reminds us that there is no separation, that when we help our neighbor we are serving the Sangha, when we help a stranger we are offering a bow to Jundo, when we help a lost dog we're saving all sentient beings. Picking up trash in the park is feeding the starving Buddha. It's all the same. I do hope someone will cure cancer and clear up that pesky Middle East situation, that would be awesome.

On the lookout for today's good deed, with gratitude,

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Byokan View Post
    Thank you Jundo,

LAH di da, I think this is cool, I'm on board. It's really just moving from a vague intention or vow to be helpful, to an intentional intention. Dedicating it in our minds to Treeleaf is a lovely practice. It reminds us that there is no separation, that when we help our neighbor we are serving the Sangha, when we help a stranger we are offering a bow to Jundo, when we help a lost dog we're saving all sentient beings. Picking up trash in the park is feeding the starving Buddha. It's all the same. I do hope someone will cure cancer and clear up that pesky Middle East situation, that would be awesome.

On the lookout for today's good deed, with gratitude,

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today
    All lovely, Byokan. No need to offer a bow to me, however. Thank you though.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-18-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Hi Jundo,

I'm in in this. As a matter of fact I just came from buying some groceries and I had the chance to do something for someone.

So for today and to kick this off... LAH

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

My mother in law had her first chemo and radiation treatment today, was an all day affair. I made a big vat of chicken with rice for my in-laws' dinner and am about to take it over, dishes, etc. Nothing unusual, just the beginning.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today/lah

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Lovely, Lovely.

This is all Practice, which is something in Mahayana Buddhism that is actually not about us, but is always dedicated to the world. We sit for the world, we act for the world and others. So, this is just another form of Shikantaza, like Chanting Metta ... it is Metta in Action. Like placing an offering on the Altar, this is making small offerings to the Altar which is the world. Like working in Samu to pick weeds or cook, or eating Oryoki, this is working to pick a few weeds in our town, to feed others as we feed ourselves.

One can speak about what is done, but primarily to inspire others through our anonymous Gojo Bodhisattva system (email stories to gojo@treeleaf.org ) where only the ombudsman will know, will publish free of names and keep it all secret (we are looking for a system where even the ombudsman, now Sekishi, will not know). It is wonderful to feel joyful for doing good, but at the same time we learn not to be prideful or to overly pat ourselves on the back. We learn that the whole world supports each other. My hope is to gets dozens and dozens, hundreds ?, of postings to Gojo in the coming weeks, and to keep Sekishi Ombudsman busy.

You can also post here if you wish to tell a little story directly, not problem! All the room for good deeds in the world.

Big or small all get equal "LAH" treatment, and we all have times in life we do both as the heart guides.

I will be offering a sit-a-long talk on these themes, later today, to get the ball rolling.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-18-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Mp
    Wonderful wonderful, this is a great idea and I am on board. =)

I had an interesting experience today in regards to LAH. Just before work I was early so I was drinking my coffee and reading emails in my truck. Sadly I noticed an intoxicated male stumbling across the road, well down the road. I got out of my truck and asked if I could help him to the side walk. He was happy for the help and to tell me his life story. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    My mother in law had her first chemo and radiation treatment today, was an all day affair. I made a big vat of chicken with rice for my in-laws' dinner and am about to take it over, dishes, etc. Nothing unusual, just the beginning.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today/lah

A wonderful way to "Lend a Hand" Kim. I have been there, as my Mom went through chemo ... just being there is such a powerful support!

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Thank you for this Jundo, I can't wait to get started planting seeds of kindness tomorrow!

Gassho,
    Paul
    Sattoday

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Haha I have trouble posting to Gojo, because all my stories have to do with people and their animals and that immediately gives me away I am fortunate in that I am in a position where I can help people and animals all day and make a living off of it. My business will probably never be as personally profitable as it was under my predecessor, but that's because I choose to trade in financial reward for "right livelihood" as often as I want. (I am getting used to the idea that he would think me foolish, but it feels right and it's ok to be a business owner that doesn't bow to the all-powerful money god.)

It's a good reminder, though, for me to work on "lending a hand" outside of work. Thank you for helping to reinforce the things I am trying to get better at.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Excellent idea! I will participate.

Gassho, sat today

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Jakuden, that's why this time I did not post it to Gojo, because of the subject (too obvious). Jundo's mention of a completely anonymous option in the future, I am interested in. I don't usually feel comfortable discussing what I do, but i don't want a sour face from Jundo either =)

Shingen, yes, very much - it was sharing a meal, but more it was spending time, listening to her tell about her day at the hospital, getting updated, being given her nutrition list, and telling goofy jokes =)

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Jakuden, that's why this time I did not post it to Gojo, because of the subject (too obvious). Jundo's mention of a completely anonymous option in the future, I am interested in. I don't usually feel comfortable discussing what I do, but i don't want a sour face from Jundo either =)

Shingen, yes, very much - it was sharing a meal, but more it was spending time, listening to her tell about her day at the hospital, getting updated, being given her nutrition list, and telling goofy jokes =)

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Lovely. Thank you.

I guess the people submitting to Gojo can just write the submission to be very general. For example, Jakuden's "I was helping someone with a sick puppy" could become "I was helping someone with a sick kitty", and we would have no idea.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Gassho Jundo

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Thanks for sharing your visit and please keep us posted on how you mother-in-law is doing! Would she enjoy knowing that we all are sending Metta?
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally on board.

Gassho,
    Hōkō
    #SatToday
    LAH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Wonderful project! I'm joining in...
    Thank you, Jundo

Washin
    sat today

There are days with no reminder needed.
    And then, there are the other ones.
    Together, there is always a helping hand.

Thinking about sharing via Gojo still feels strange.
    With being trained to "do good and shut up... the reward is the deed itself", it makes me feel like soiling the whole thing.
    As there is some 'soil' in soiling, there might also be a certain lotus, growing out of it, when shared here. ;-)

Gassho,
    Kotei sat and lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    There are days with no reminder needed.
    And then, there are the other ones.
    Together, there is always a helping hand.

Thinking about sharing via Gojo still feels strange.
    With being trained to "do good and shut up... the reward is the deed itself", it makes me feel like soiling the whole thing.
    As there is some 'soil' in soiling, there might also be a certain lotus, growing out of it, when shared here. ;-)

Gassho,
    Kotei sat and lah today.
    Hi Kotei

The role of Gojo is simply to inspire others or put a suggested action into mind.

There is no name or credit whatsoever for the person who shares the story. They are just an anonymous vehicle.

I would even say that to share a story is thus itself a further act of giving and not instead withholding.

Gassho J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-19-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Kotei

The role of Gojo is simply to inspire others or put a suggested action into mind.

There is no name or credit whatsoever for the person who shares the story. They are just an anonymous vehicle.

I would even say that to share a story is thus itself a further act of giving and not instead withholding.

Gassho J

SatTodayLAH
    Thank you for the new perspective, Jundo.

Maybe feeling uneasy with it comes from having a too close relationship with my inner reward-system.
    I just don't trust myself very much, when it is involved.
    Posting something, seeing some replies, feeling great, doing again for that feeling, etc. etc.
    But yes, this thoughts is only about me and there is a wide span between not posting at all and doing it every day.
    Opportunity for practice, eh?

Gassho,
    Kotei sat and LAH today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Kotei, for voicing something that was also on my mind .
    Thank you Jundo for giving it a larger perspective to look at .

Gassho
    Eva
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Maybe feeling uneasy with it comes from having a too close relationship with my inner reward-system.
    I just don't trust myself very much, when it is involved.
    Posting something, seeing some replies, feeling great, doing again for that feeling, etc. etc.
    Hi Kotei,

But I feel that the Dalai Lama does what the Dalai Lama does, Dogen did and even Buddha did what made each feel right and good and pleasant in the respective "inner reward systems" for doing Dalai/Dogen/Buddha things. Who said (in fact, nobody said) that one cannot take a modicum of pleasure and feel right for doing good?

The Dalai/Dogen/Buddha thus each do an action, receive positive inner and outer reinforcement, feel good, repeat. What is wrong with that? Perhaps one should not encourage positive feelings for doing bad, but all felt good about doing good.

And the Buddha got lots of compliments ... the most over the top compliments that end every Sutra ... and I never heard him complain at being the "World Honored One" and the like. From a Sutta chosen almost at random ...

When the Exalted One had spoken thus, Sigala, the young householder, said as follows:

"Excellent, Lord, excellent! It is as if, Lord, a man were to set upright that which was overturned, or were to reveal that which was hidden, or were to point out the way to one who had gone astray, or were to hold a lamp amidst the darkness, so that those who have eyes may see. Even so, has the doctrine been explained in various ways by the Exalted One.

From the "Sigalovada Sutta"
    I never once heard the Buddha say at the end, "Oh, please, you are too kind. Turn it down a notch."

As a matter of fact, in the same Sutta, the Buddha advises the layperson Sigalovado to earn enjoyment and reasonable praise ...

Who is hospitable, and friendly,
    Liberal and unselfish,
    A guide, an instructor, a leader,
    Such a one to honor may attain.

Generosity, sweet speech,
    Helpfulness to others,
    Impartiality to all,
    As the case demands.

These four winning ways make the world go round,
    As the linchpin in a moving car.

Since these four winning ways
    The wise appraise in every way,
    To eminence they attain,
    And praise they rightly gain.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...31.0.nara.html
    My point is that even getting some praise from the outside is not a bad thing if (1) reasonably deserved (2) accepted with equanimity and mutual gratitude (3) not clung to and excessively craved. If somebody pays you a compliment because you truly did a good thing, accept the compliment with grace and equal humility.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-19-2017 at 11:43 PM.

I just donated a trillion dollars to the band The Hokey Pokers for their fantastic and uplifting songs so they can continue their world tour in case they run out of funds.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hi all

In Britain there is also a culture of not boasting about kind deeds but the Gojo system seems to get around that well, as does the anonymity of what you have done in LAH.

As most of us do, I try to do as many small good deeds as I can but have already noticed that this new proposal has me looking for even more ways of doing so.

Thank you for your inspiring talk on the subject, Jundo.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/LAH-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post

As most of us do, I try to do as many small good deeds as I can but have already noticed that this new proposal has me looking for even more ways of doing so.
    Ah, you are always bragging about yourself Kokuu!

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    I just donated a trillion dollars to the band The Hokey Pokers for their fantastic and uplifting songs so they can continue their world tour in case they run out of funds.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Thank you. I have their record.

Dogen quotes this Koan on Compassion, a version of the natural Hokey Pokey ..

Ungan asked Dogo, “How does the Bodhisattva of Great Compassion (Kannon) use so many hands and eyes?”
    Dogo said, “It’s just like a person in the middle of the night reaching back in search of a pillow.”
    Ungan said, “I understand.”
    Dogo said, “How do you understand it?”
    Ungan said, “All over the body are hands and eyes.”
    Dogo said, “What you said is all right, but it’s only eighty percent of it.”
    Ungan said, “I’m like this, Senior brother. How do you understand it?”
    Dogo said, “Throughout the body are hands and eyes.”

The Hokey Pokers

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Joyo
    Wonderful, I am in. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Wonderful, I am in. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    A lot of folks like Joyo are already so focused on caring ... for family, kids, friends, those who they love and love them. They give all day and sometimes ask little for themselves.

Still, we even ask them to give one inch more each day for this. Just one minute more, one comforting look more, just one nice word more, for this on top of all they do. There is always room for one inch more.

(But don't forget to be kind, and take some time and nurturing for yourself too. Even the Buddha would take a break from Buddhaing each day).

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Thank you Jundo.
    Got your points.

Sitting, being mindful, watching myself should be the right antidote to what I wrote.
    Nothing was meant as a valid reason for not sharing. No need to look like that ;-).
    Just thinking about why it feels like it does to me.

Kokuu's post made me think more about cultural differences.
    Different, but related... I once shared some descriptions and pictures of my living-room coral reef in a German and a US reef discussion forum.
    The first 3 US replies were something like: What is that coral in the upper left... Wow, how do you maintain such a clean water... I like the wave motion..
    The first 3 German replies were like: Were did you get all that money from... What did it cost... I bet you were born rich...

I never once heard the Buddha say at the end, "Oh, please, you are too kind. Turn it down a notch."
    Wasn't he born as the son of the ruler of Kapilavastu? Maybe, he was used to be addressed like that. ;-)

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/LAH today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

A TREELEAF EXPERIMENT with EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION REQUESTED: “LAH” (Lend A Hand)

I look forward to exploring new opportunities to be of service - find that extra "inch".

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

This is wonderful. I love the idea of motivation each other too look for LAH opportunities. <3
    Perhaps to balance the concerns Kotei mentioned we could ALSO from time to time share stories when we are recipients of LAH actions, inspiring gratitude.

For instance, my fam was recently on vacation and while away our house sitter who volunteered to watch the house and pets also did many extra unexpected things while we were gone. We've found things cleaned, extra care given to things here and there like plants, even welcome home balloons and funny notes to find upon our return. She blessed us with extra loving care.

SatToday/LAH and RAH (received)

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

Eishuu
    What a great idea.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today/LAH

I love the idea. I try doing little things when I can. I think it will be a wonderful practice to do it daily. Our local grocery store is selling brown bags of food that get donated to a food pantry. We bought a couple.

Gassho, Entai
    ST/LAH

I'm so grateful for this suggestion as an extra motivation because I have to admit that sometimes I can be a bit arbitrary with daily kindness. For instance, there's an African refugee guy who sells small items outside my local supermarket and I often buy him something while I'm doing my shopping. Today when I got to the checkout I realised I had forgotten, but because the queue was so long behind me, I didn't want to leave it and start queueing again. Selfish me! Tomorrow with LAH in mind, I'll be back there buying him a treat

Gassho
    Sat with you all this morning

Joyo
    A lot of folks like Joyo are already so focused on caring ... for family, kids, friends, those who they love and love them. They give all day and sometimes ask little for themselves.

Still, we even ask them to give one inch more each day for this. Just one minute more, one comforting look more, just one nice word more, for this on top of all they do. There is always room for one inch more.

(But don't forget to be kind, and take some time and nurturing for yourself too. Even the Buddha would take a break from Buddhaing each day).

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Thank you, Jundo. You made me cry. That is very touching.

Yes, I can give one more inch, to myself and others.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

This is a beautiful exercise. It's making me realize how much time I spend wrapped up in my own problems. When you're not actively looking for ways to help, it's so easy to miss the moments when you can do something good.

Gassho, Zenmei
    #sat/lah

Hi Guys,

Yes, just to emphasize that it is an experiment and we will assess how it went, based on the actual experience, in a couple of months.

It is voluntary, but I hope folks will give it a try and join in the great experiment. I bet that most folks will find it beneficial to those around them, to their society, as a contribution to Sangha ... to their own Practice, to themselves. Thank you thank you thank you.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-19-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Mp
    Hi Guys,

Yes, just to emphasize that it is an experiment and we will assess how it went, based on the actual experience, in a couple of months.

It is voluntary, but I hope folks will give it a try and join in the great experiment. I bet that most folks will find it beneficial to those around them, to their society, as a contribution to Sangha ... to their own Practice, to themselves. Thank you thank you thank you.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Thank you Jundo ... Looking forward to see what it cultivates. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I've only today read this and I don't want to participate, please.

Upon reading, my mind started racing what good deeds I have done during the last week, and what I could do in future.

The strange thing is, once it is a task for the sangha, it is distant from me.

I notice that on days when my health is better, my practice allows me to be more friendly and outgoing (like talking to a refugee, mother of three, on the bus, which I usually would not do. But yesterday I thought it a good idea and she liked it.)
    On other days I try to limit being an assh... I know inside it is hard work, but does it qualify for LAH??

What you are asking is (to me) like asking a flower to blossom when there is no sun, no don't be an ordinary flower, you have a mission!
    Push yourself! Grow that extra bud!

If this is a bodhisattva's vow, to have target numbers and continually improving statistics, like a salesman, I'm happy to be neither.

With respectful bows,
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Quote Originally Posted by Jika View Post

Upon reading, my mind started racing what good deeds I have done during the last week, and what I could do in future.

I notice that on days when my health is better, my practice allows me to be more friendly and outgoing (like talking to a refugee, mother of three, on the bus, which I usually would not do. But yesterday I thought it a good idea and she liked it.)
    On other days I try to limit being an assh... I know inside it is hard work, but does it qualify for LAH??

What you are asking is (to me) like asking a flower to blossom when there is no sun, no don't be an ordinary flower, you have a mission!

If this is a bodhisattva's vow, to have target numbers and continually improving statistics, like a salesman, I'm happy to be neither.

With respectful bows,
    Jika
    #sattoday
    Hi Jika,

There is no demand and, certainly, no statistics.

Just do what you can, or don't do what you feel unable. Yes, being gentler than you would otherwise be on a certain day would certainly qualify if that is what you can manage.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-20-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jika View Post

With respectful bows,
    Jika
    #sattoday
    IMG_0077.JPG

I don't think you can not not participate.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

I'm not sure about this one - it's certainly an interesting idea. Good to hear others are already finding it helpful.

I think I'm in agreement with Jika. When I sit with emptiness and impermanence, compassion blooms (or doesn't) without effort. For me, deciding whether my post warrants the LAH tag would feel like a daily self-assessment, or a form of self-improvement. For me personally, this kind of reflection can sustain the notion that there is a faulty self that requires perfection.

As I drop thoughts of self-improvement and sit with the messiness, I'm naturally becoming more compassionate. I'll continue to reflect on this but I'll respectfully choose not to participate for now.

Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

Quote Originally Posted by Enjaku View Post
    I'm not sure about this one - it's certainly an interesting idea. Good to hear others are already finding it helpful.

I think I'm in agreement with Jika. When I sit with emptiness and impermanence, compassion blooms (or doesn't) without effort. For me, deciding whether my post warrants the LAH tag would feel like a daily self-assessment, or a form of self-improvement. For me personally, this kind of reflection can sustain the notion that there is a faulty self that requires perfection.

As I drop thoughts of self-improvement and sit with the messiness, I'm naturally becoming more compassionate. I'll continue to reflect on this but I'll respectfully choose not to participate for now.

Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    I would say that there is no "you" that requires self-improvement, but yet there is. This is one of the great Koans of our way: If there is nobody in need of improving, and all is just as there is ... then why nonetheless do we need to Practice and improve? There is a self which requires improvement, and it is beyond all fault. Compassion naturally arises, and yet it must be nurtured too.

In Shobogenzo Bodaisatta-Shishobo (The Bodhisattva’s Four Embracing Actions), Dogen spelled out a very wide definition of "good deeds" and charity (for example, he included gifts to nature, to one's family and even sometimes to oneself], yet he made the benefits quite clear:

Even if we give something humble—a single penny or a stalk of grass—it will plant a root of goodness in this and other ages. Dharma can be a material treasure, and a material treasure can be Dharma. This depends entirely upon the giver’s vow and wish. Offering his beard, a Chinese emperor harmonized his minister’s mind. Offering sand, a child gained the throne. [NOTE: During the T’ang dynasty, when an officer in the court of Emperor T’ai-tsung fell ill and needed the ashes from a beard for medicine, the emperor burnt his own beard and offered the ashes to the officer. Once when the Buddha was on an alms round, a child who was playing in the sand put a few grains in the Buddha’s alms bowl as an offering, and, due to this act, the child was later reborn as King Ashoka. ] These people did not covet rewards from others. They simply shared what they had according to their ability. To launch a boat or build a bridge is the practice of dana paramita [the Virtue of Giving]. ... Not only should we urge ourselves to make offerings, but we must not overlook any opportunity to practice dana. Because we are blessed with the virtue of offering, we have received our present lives.

... The mind of a sentient being is difficult to change. We begin to transform the mind of living beings by offering material things, and we resolve to continue to transform them until they attain the Way. From the beginning we should make use of offering. This is the reason why the first of the six paramitas is dana paramita. The vastness or narrowness of mind can not be measured, and the greatness or smallness of material things can not be weighed. But there are times when our mind turns things, and there is offering, in which things turn our mind.
    https://terebess.hu/zen/dogen/KS-Bodaisatta.html
    Participation is purely optional and voluntary, of course, but I sure do think most of us will benefit ... and our towns and the people we help in big and small ways will benefit.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-20-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Participation is purely optional and voluntary, of course, but I sure do think most of us will benefit ... and our towns and the people we help in big and small ways will benefit.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    I hope many benefit and I appreciate the permission to opt out until I decide how I feel about it
    Just to be clear, I'm opting out of LAH, not cultivating compassion and generosity!

Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

Thanks Jundo. Great idea. When you give your presence and attention to someone , the lights go on. Opportunities to help and receive help appear.

SAT today LAH

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

I've only practiced at one brick-and-mortar Monastery, but there, it was a pretty essential part of the experience to do one's part, kind of like a bee in a hive. I'm sure no one is forced to participate, (you could hide in the dormitory and refuse?) but I think the benefit to that person overall would be greatly reduced.

Of course, participation is risky because your efforts are right out there. You can try to cut your finger off in the kitchen () or fail to complete whatever your expected duties are... it creates the same mental resistance as other aspects of practice, including Zazen, and pushes you out of your comfort zone... But it's pretty clear that the whole point is to serve the Sangha, the local community, and the world. Daily assignments are given on all of those levels.

Here at Treeleaf, we can't always see easily how as a group we are benefiting the Sangha, the community, and the world, so if we can generate that same spirit by checking in here (on the honor system, at our convenience) I think it gets us closer to some essential Zen lessons. To me, it's what makes Treeleaf a real Sangha, not just a support group or a discussion forum.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

This morning I realized I am quite grateful for the note included for Internet options. Our wild weather this week has knocked me out, but the Internet is a great resource and tool for advocacy. Thank you, Jundo, for thinking of all members. ♡

Gassho
    Kim
    St/LAH

"Participation is purely optional and voluntary, of course, but I sure do think most of us will benefit ... and our towns and the people we help in big and small ways will benefit."

For me, like the request to "sit today" first - it serves as a reminder and declaration in itself on why i am here, and what path i have chosen to walk. Not merely Buddhist "in name only" as the saying goes, but the reminder to put my feet, hands and practice where my mouth is. My way of life usually is about helping others, but I don't think about it, so my challenge is thinking about what i did that was helpful to others. But again, it's putting conscious thought to my practice and making sure that i am living what i profess to follow and believe. This is just how i see it, not a judgment on anyone. I feel it calls me to meet a higher standard, but in a good way. ♡

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today/LAH

Last edited by Meian; 05-20-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    I've only practiced at one brick-and-mortar Monastery, but there, it was a pretty essential part of the experience to do one's part, kind of like a bee in a hive. I'm sure no one is forced to participate, (you could hide in the dormitory and refuse?) but I think the benefit to that person overall would be greatly reduced.

Of course, participation is risky because your efforts are right out there. You can try to cut your finger off in the kitchen () or fail to complete whatever your expected duties are... it creates the same mental resistance as other aspects of practice, including Zazen, and pushes you out of your comfort zone... But it's pretty clear that the whole point is to serve the Sangha, the local community, and the world. Daily assignments are given on all of those levels.

Here at Treeleaf, we can't always see easily how as a group we are benefiting the Sangha, the community, and the world, so if we can generate that same spirit by checking in here (on the honor system, at our convenience) I think it gets us closer to some essential Zen lessons. To me, it's what makes Treeleaf a real Sangha, not just a support group or a discussion forum.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    BOY! You really really hit on something vital!

If one goes to any bricks and mortar Zen place in the West or in Japan (anywhere in Asia for that matter), every body is expected to contribute with Samu (Work Practice) contributions to the place each day ... one person cleans the Altar, one person puts out the Zafus and Sutra books, folks help with cooking and washing up in the kitchen, everyone (especially the teachers) gather in the garden to pull weeds and sweep leaves. People rush to volunteer to be the ones to clean the toilets and the dirty bath!

This is not just necessary work to allow the day, weekend or weeklong Retreat ... it -IS- the Practice of the Retreat, it -IS- moving Zazen as vital as the seated Zazen (and done with the same "non-gaining" idea too, but done).

And in the temple or monastery, for the monks, it is expected ... it is their Training ... from morning to night, the Tenzo who cooks in the kitchen, the washing of the floors ...

... and more toilet and bath cleaning, more weed pulling (the Master takes the lead) in the garden, bells are rung including the lucky fellow who gets up earlier than everyone else to wake the group. Monks spend more time on this than sitting Zazen ... and it all --IS-- Zazen too, neither sitting nor work to be neglected.

Yes, it is the individual monk's practice, but it is also a donation to the group and a manifestation that all in the group are One!

Dogen wrote in the Tenzo Kyokun (Instructions for the Cook) ...

In the past, eminent men in possession of the way practiced in this way [as cooks], working energetically with their own hands. In this latter day, how can we who are so late getting started [in our practice] be negligent about this? The ancients said that cooks regard tying up their sleeves [for manual work] as the way-seeking mind. ...

When I was staying at Tiantong-jingde-si [temple in China], a monk named Lu from Qingyuan fu held the post of tenzo [Cook]. Once ... I came upon him in front of the Buddha Hall drying mushrooms in the sun. He had a bamboo stick in his hand and no hat covering his head. The heat of the sun was blazing on the paving stones. It looked very painful; his back was bent like a bow and his eyebrows were as white as the feathers of a crane. I went up to the tenzo and asked, "How long have you been a monk?"

"Sixty-eight years," he said.

"Why don't you have an assistant do this for you?"

"Other people are not me."

"Venerable sir, I can see how you follow the Way through your work. But still, why do this now when the sun is so hot?"

"If not now, when?"

... In the many monasteries of the mountains of Song China that I have seen, the monks holding the various offices train in these posts for a year at a time, each of them in each moment practicing by three standards. Firstly, to benefit others benefits yourself. Second, make every effort to maintain and renew the monastic environment. Third, follow the standards set forth by the examples of excellent practitioners of past and present and come to stand with them.
    And everyone is seen to do this, most is not hidden. Everybody sees the others, the teachers are watching the group. It is like our LAH, in that nobody asks who does more or who does less according to their abilities ... yet ALL do for ALL.

Do you know that even the sick monk in the monastery hospice is not excused? If it is all he can do, his work becomes to stay in bed, take his medicine and to offer a kind word to those who nurse him.

At Treeleaf, we have been able to provide sitting, but for many years we have lacked in our ability to create a way of Service to the Sangha. Well, in this place, "All of Life, and All the World, is our Temple." We have no kitchen and bathrooms here or a garden for weeds.

So, we will feed the world, pull some weeds of ugliness in our town, offer a kind word to those around us. Our Sangha is for busy working parents and folks out in the world, so we do not ask much time. Folks are already taking care of so much ... a moment and a single task each day dedicated to this Community and to others is enough.

But, would someone go to the "bricks and mortar" retreat and say, "I will just sit, and let the others clean the bath or cook?" Of course not! "If not now, when?" One would be sitting Zazen, but not truly sitting Zazen!

I cannot emphasize enough that LAH is bringing a missing aspect of the "Zen Experience" and Practice to Treeleaf!

Thank you for putting this so well, Jakuden. Nine Bows.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - I feel a Sit-a-Long Talk on this coming up next week.
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-21-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Do you know that even the sick monk in the monastery hospice is not excused? If it is all he can do, his work becomes to stay in bed, take his medicine and to offer a kind word to those who nurse him.
    Yes, after I got the tip of my finger stitched back on, my work assignment the next day was "self care." I went up to their little cemetery, and swept and tidied while I was there.

I will admit that I whined a bit to my Ango partner Zenmei during Ango about trying to find time and motivation to do helping deeds, when I already spent my day serving others. To my knowledge, he has kept his promise not to throw me under the bus about that . When I have had Dokusan/Daisan during Sesshin at ZMM, most of my questions surrounded this topic: help with defining "compassion fatigue," how to know when to do self-care vs. helping others, how does compassion originate and manifest... I felt and still feel the need for a teacher to guide me with this, but I am starting to understand that if "self-care" is what you need to do in order to benefit others, then self-care is your practice... if your day is spent helping others, then do it earnestly and perhaps a little better, more kindly and patiently, with awareness of the "sameness" of yourself and the others you are helping, and that is your practice.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast