Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A TREELEAF EXPERIMENT with EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION REQUESTED: “LAH” (Lend A Hand)

I have decided last month to give to a more-well established charity, one having raised a daughter, oh my precious little one, our only one gift almost lost, yet remains in every picture I have of her fight with the pink bike learning then on the school parking-lot, yes and success, and yet today and always it will be with her great and gifted mind she will earn her living, and oh even at birth I experience first then to touch her tummy at one hour old when the nurse said, "You may touch her--she's yours." Oh so tentative was my man hand to this and I say no cliche, the precious new-born, and she was only ours to guide, and today, this fall entering a Ph D in Japanese Literature with a fellowship. I gave to UNICEF and will give to UNICEF again.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    "We cannot enjoy life if we spend a lot of time worrying about what happened yesterday and what will happen tomorrow." Thich Nhat Hanh

Today it is Mike Tango who I see in the south of Sudan on a humanitarian mission, an what that might be today I can only guess. It hardly compares my paltry amount given to UNICEF, but back in the day, yes, I was 30 on the NAVAJO Reservation teaching speech and social science to people who lived speech in tribal ceremonies, and social science in the forced foster parent programs meant to socialize the children, and so much still goes on. Me earning $1800 for 2 college courses incorporating Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Tai Shi
    std LAH
    Gassho
    "We cannot enjoy life if we spend a lot of time worrying about what happened yesterday and what will happen tomorrow." Thich Nhat Hanh

Well I was wondering what LAH was about. So now I know and you can count me in. Gassho
    Heisoku
    Sattoday LAH.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Heisoku
    平 息

Also Jundo, every week I work in the coffee shop at my Senior Center, I teach creative writing once a month at my Senior Center, and each day I call a disabled person to just add support--I love my work, and I just hope my health holds out so I can continue my work.

Tai Shi
    st-lah
    Gassho

Hi all,

Often I go trough some forum threads in the morning when I have not yet had oportunity to "Lend a hand" so I just put the LAH after the SatToday in case it is later in the day when I actually did LAH. That way many of my post will occur without the LAH simply becourse I did not yet but will/might do later in the day.

Q: Is that the correct way to handle it?

The "SatToday" is different for me since I start every day with sitting first so the question does not arrise.

Thank you

Gassho
    Marcus
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Hi all,

Often I go trough some forum threads in the morning when I have not yet had oportunity to "Lend a hand" so I just put the LAH after the SatToday in case it is later in the day when I actually did LAH. That way many of my post will occur without the LAH simply becourse I did not yet but will/might do later in the day.

Q: Is that the correct way to handle it?

The "SatToday" is different for me since I start every day with sitting first so the question does not arrise.

Thank you

Gassho
    Marcus
    SatToday
    Hi Marcus,

Thank you for caring. This is not a some rigid standard. I would say that anytime in the previous day is fine.

Keep going!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Marcus,

Thank you for caring. This is not a some rigid standard. I would say that anytime in the previous day is fine.

Keep going!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Thank you Jundo, much obliged.

Gassho
    Marcus
    SatToday/LAH

Good Afternoon!
    The nicest thing just happened to me! I am an office manager at a charter school in Toledo & once a week I go & spend about 20$ on snacks for the kids at my school that come in & missed breakfast or are hungry during the day. (Pop Tarts, breakfast bars, crackers.. etc.) When I was at the register being rung up, the cashier said something about me coming in to buy these students food every week. I told him that I just had 2 students come in my office for food, but I was out of snacks, so I ran up here real quick to replenish my stock for the week. Well, the lady behind me said, “Excuse me, but can I please pay for that food?” She had heard us talking & wanted to do something nice. She was so sweet, she said, "just payin' it forward"! Her name is Tammy, if anyone would like to join me in sending her positive energy!

We are in a poor community where every student gets a free breakfast (if they make it to school on time) & free lunch. For a lot of these kiddos, the food they eat here daily is the best food they get.

Gassho
    Sat2day LAH

Quote Originally Posted by cosmiceye View Post
    Good Afternoon!
    The nicest thing just happened to me! I am an office manager at a charter school in Toledo & once a week I go & spend about 20$ on snacks for the kids at my school that come in & missed breakfast or are hungry during the day. (Pop Tarts, breakfast bars, crackers.. etc.) When I was at the register being rung up, the cashier said something about me coming in to buy these students food every week. I told him that I just had 2 students come in my office for food, but I was out of snacks, so I ran up here real quick to replenish my stock for the week. Well, the lady behind me said, “Excuse me, but can I please pay for that food?” She had heard us talking & wanted to do something nice. She was so sweet, she said, "just payin' it forward"! Her name is Tammy, if anyone would like to join me in sending her positive energy!

We are in a poor community where every student gets a free breakfast (if they make it to school on time) & free lunch. For a lot of these kiddos, the food they eat here daily is the best food they get.

Gassho
    Sat2day LAH
    How wonderful.

The conversation in the engaged center right now is about hunger, and this type of situation is happening all over the place. It is not usual for many children in America to only eat the free meals that are available at school. Then they go without dinner, and maybe eat over the weekend. But what happens when there are summer, winter and spring break? Well the kids probably go without even more.

But thank you so much for your contribution to your students.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

I feel ashamed of what I used to be. In two years or so, much can and does change. I sit here in shorts and Teashirt while others have nothing. I Should be willing to take in the homeless, but I'm not. On the other hand, I still volunteer in three ways, and give money to those charieties where I can. I wish the world were an easier softer way.

Tai Shi
    st/lah
    Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by cosmiceye View Post
    Good Afternoon!

Gassho
    Sat2day LAH
    Thank you and thank Tammy.

Gassho
    Doshin
    St

Thank you everyone. This is good!

I feel this as being very much in unity with our core Zazen practice. Right effort and paying attention are two ingredients we are looking to integrate outside of our physical sitting space.

Reading through the thread, so many good points and experiences have been shared. Thank you everyone!

Interestingly, just as the mind can have a tantrum about sitting, our mind can quickly overthink, have an opinion or ‘talk judgementally to’ our inspired or loving actions. It is sometimes quite shocking to realise what we may have just been thinking. Hopefully, bringing awareness to these realisations, ‘calling them out’, will help to lessen any significance we give this suffering.

Gassho,

Frank

Sat today, lent a hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If one is living the Bodhisattva ideal, it seems incumbent to LAH daily as a matter of course.

sat/lah

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousui View Post
    If one is living the Bodhisattva ideal, it seems incumbent to LAH daily as a matter of course.

sat/lah

Hi all

I'm sharing this un-anonymously because it is more about an attitude towards LAH, practice, and general life. How often do think of doing or saying something nice, but hold back for some unknown reason, and then wish later (when the moment has passed) that you had done/said it after all. Since the start of Ango I have made a deliberate effort to acknowledge others efforts. A non-specific example is a person telling me the story of how stressful it was to do something for me at work, that I had no idea they were doing, to resolve a situation without me having to get involved. I acknowledged the deed, the stress that had arisen for them because of it, and that they hadn't needed to do that for me. Their stress lifted and they had that bashful "oh it was nothing" demeanour about them. Although I often do this anyway, because I was coming from a place of "practice" I felt that the encounter had a non-ego-reward aspect to it - call it what you will - the vow to save all beings - bodhicitta in there too. Yes this LAH created a positive vibe in me (that I did not attach to) but it also reminded me of the Three Tenets (a-la Zen Peacemakers), not-knowing, bearing witness, and compassionate action, which not so much underpin the LAHs, but enable LAHs to arise spontaneously if you are fully present in the not-knowing to begin with. Thinking and typing out loud.

Sat and LAH today, Leon

It's very strange to look at my posts of two years ago and see that I was really a poopy head, and I'm not anymore--life is good, though my health? Well? I have no resistance to LAH, and I've been volunteering for more than 10 years with the National Alliance on Mental Illness, and I've received award after award for my service. Basically, I'm retired from that as I don't drive a car anymore. I drive to and from with my wife, and I am sensitive to her needs, and my doctor visits are many.

Well, we've maintained volunteering at my Senior Center in Sioux Falls, and this is 9 miles away, and I've done this since I was about 58. First by myself, now with a young man (he's 47) who I enlisted to help me run the coffee shop on Thursday Afternoon. I'm 67, have a lot to be thankful for, and one of these is my friendship with this younger man who gets around Sioux Falls, where he lives, on a bicycle. In the last two years I've come to truly care about a disabled woman, not that much younger, at my Senior Center in Sioux Falls who I call daily throughout the 5 day work week. She can do next to nothing--she cares, however, for her intellectually challenged son, and me, well, at first I was checking on her, now we are truly friends. Yes, I care and call between 12 and 12:00 noon and, 12:30.

Most recently, I've been volunteering for my Christian Church at the Senior Center in my own town of Hartford. This I perform as kitchen helper, setting the tables for 8 to 10 people to provide lunch. I also serve the food, with the help of the supervising-lady who at age more than 80 does her share of the work, and wash the dishes. I've tried to do this once a month for the last three months, but I'm ashamed to say, that at 67 years of age, I have thought this very demanding, and the last time after I started to walk home, I had to call my wife because I was too tired to walk the 6 blocks home. She came in the car to drive me to our home. I begged off this month, but probably next month, I will try again.

Finally, I will say I've tried to be kinder to my wife, and care for otyhers. This is tough for me because I have had the habit of easily getting mad. This is, however, changing.

Tai Shi
    Gassho
    sat today

That's wonderful Taishi. We do what we can and our abilities change over time. The main point is you are committed and engaged. Don't beat yourself up over the things you can no longer do. As it says in the Desiderata; "gracefully surrendering the things of youth."

be well
    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

I am truly amazed, and four years have gone by--In four years, I learned not to be a perpetual whiner. I truly enjoy life, and I don't drive anymore. My good wife get's me places in her car. Actually, the doctor visits have become fewer, I have a new total knee, and the other one has a good 17.5 years in it. I may die before the left one wears out. As for the right one--30 to 35 years, so the knee replacement will be there longer than me. Well, I have a fairly new, friend of two years almost, and he's got nearly two years sobriety; I like being a trusted friend. Last year I celebrated 31 years total sobriety, and I do trust a Power greater than myself. I do still hurt, and I thinking of joining the Spondylitis Association. As for volunteering, I still work, with the help of my friend (sometimes) in the coffee shop at Active Generations (seniors), 18 to .... anywhere in age, and I like what I do; this brings very much needed personal interaction. In another place I said that 4 years ago, I was a know it all poopy head, now I try to be honest, and forthright. I may be in for a new hip, or at least an inspection of the old one to see what Dr. Walker would suggest. I have limits, as I've grown from the start of my Treeleaf friendships, I can't work like I used to. I rely on others to do what I cannot do. The kids, and other people recognize that a 67-year-old man might even need help with the door. I am sure I'm more welcomed than I used to be. And, still, bipolar disorder gets in my way. Not as much as it used to, I an very happy to wear my Racusu, and belong to a Christian church where I worship the Power greater than myself, and almost everyday I sit zazen, sometimes in our free "room." I love my wife though sometimes I act poorly, but I lover her more each day as that other stuff no longer gets in the way of being best friends. This we've maintained for 36 years of married life together as like all we do, "one day at a time." I like the first step of Alanon, the other 12 step program so much a part of our lives, "We are powerless over people, and our lives have become unmanageable." If I keep in mind that I can rewrite the fiction of my "anger" at any time, then I don't have to get angry, and this fault is growing less. I give so much of myself to a disabled woman a little younger than me, and over the phone, weekdays, between 12, and 12:30 we have grown as friends, as I call to check on her. I wonder just what I can do that doesn't tax me physically. My Ango partner tells me that it's a good idea to check in to the Forum of Treeleaf daily for a short time. I usually don't write as much as I used to on the Forum. I still volunteer for the National Alliance on Mental Illness though not as often as I used to. Most of the time I'm happy to live my hybrid life of Buddhism and Christianity, my sins are forgiven and sometimes my life calls for a real apology and a real attempt to limit behaviors people don't like. I have also twice worked in the kitchen and dining room of or local senior center, but this may turn out to be too much. I like sitting at my computer and putting to use the one degree that means anything to me. My MFA in creative writing allows me to write daily on my three blogs, two personal, one free, and so far I have a small group of followers reading my writing. My wife will help me get my next book in shape, a Kindle book, Portraits of Their Lives. This reminds me of a text book I own from the old days WRITING TO BE READ. I hope Jundo doesn't chop out half of what I say to my many friends at Treeleaf online Zendo. I like it here very much after four years. Thank you all.

Tai Shi
    sat today/lah
    Gassho
    Deepest sincere bows.
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 09-30-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: clarification/spelling

Am currently living in a Nursing home, and have aides and Nurses as caretakers.
    I am not in a position to go out into the community to do " good deeds ".
    Most of the time my good deeds are to be pleasant with the people who take care of me instead of
    getting to the point of raising my voice and making things worse. The seed practice is useful here,
    As it enables me to not water the seed of anger, even though I feel justified in doing so.

Richard Carlsen

Howdy Richard,

Your being nice to those around you is a good thing to do. You have a positive affect on them and that is good

Gassho
    Doshin
    St.

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Howdy Richard,

Your being nice to those around you is a good thing to do. You have a positive affect on them and that is good

Gassho
    Doshin
    St.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1 View Post
    Am currently living in a Nursing home, and have aides and Nurses as caretakers.
    I am not in a position to go out into the community to do " good deeds ".
    Most of the time my good deeds are to be pleasant with the people who take care of me instead of
    getting to the point of raising my voice and making things worse. The seed practice is useful here,
    As it enables me to not water the seed of anger, even though I feel justified in doing so.

Richard Carlsen
    Thank you for your practice Richard, it is in no way less meaningful or significant than anyone else’s. We practice right where we are with what we’ve got, and it sounds like you have plenty of opportunity for that. Deep bows
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Howdy Richard,

Gassho
    Doshin
    St.
    Lovely! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

I was wondering what LAH was and was going to inquire but luckily I found this thread! I have to say I am so touched and surprised at what it means! It's great to see the encouragement for kindness and compassion active in the forums. I am grateful for the future recipients of any good deeds. I am grateful for the opportunity to post future LAH's. I am grateful for Zen.

Thanks Jundo

Gassho,

SatToday

I have had to give up volunteering with the Senior Center in Sioux Falls but I will continue with NAMI Sioux Falls (National Alliance on Mental Illness) the largest grass-roots organization in all the USA. I will be speaking in front of the police intermittently for police training, and doing odd jobs for them now and then. The consistent jobs with the Senior Center in Sioux Falls proved to be too much, so I had to give them up. The senior Center is more than 9 miles (ca. 14 km) away from Hartford, and my wife must do the driving. This year we had snow storms and blizzards into mid April, so often this was a problem. I will continue volunteering for my church and for NAMI, and this is what I am able to do. My church is four blocks from our home, and NAMI is intermittent though in Sioux Falls. My wife does not mind such a schedule. Marjorie is very good to me, and she understands occasional visits to doctors. I had a procedure on my neck, Radio Frequency Ablation (Razotomy not the formal term) and this is in combination with two non- narcotic medications are already rasing my pain level, will continue to do so for a few weeks. The procedure lasts 6 to 9 mo, then will be repeated. I have had this procedure before. I had the procedure last Monday. I wish you all well, my Sangha, and I tell you I care for you all very much.
    Tai Shi
    Gassho/ LAH
    sat
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 05-24-2019 at 12:22 PM.