Thread: What to put in the Bowls?

What to put in the Bowls?

I have a silly question, but it trips me up when I try to practice oryoki. What do you put in your bowls? Really, what food do you use?

I think the reason I find this hard is because I never feel like I get a well-rounded meal. So I end up just putting whatever seems easy to eat; then eating something else after.

Are there any resources to help guide how to prepare an oryoki meal? Or recipes so that you get the three separate items, but end up with a complete meal?

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Hi Shoka

When we do the two day rohatsu retreat I usually make some kind of rice salad which includes vegetables and protein such as nuts, beans or smoked tofu. In another bowl I often put rye or oat crackers.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I will speak practically from experience in Japan, where in the monasteries here tend to serve Shojin Ryori (Buddhist Vegetarian Cooking). The main Buddha bowl is white or brown rice or a mix of rice and barley. There is Miso Soup in the middle dish, and a vegetable dish, maybe with a light sauce, and some pickles on the side.

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...ng/recipe.html

You do not need to stick to such a menu, but please remember that you need to clean the bowls with some speed and ease during the "washing" portion of packing the bowl. That means that you should be able to clean the bowls pretty well, and get most of the food off, quickly with just a little water and the Setsu (Cleaning Stick). Of course, you are expected to unpack and properly rewash your bowls after the meal in a sink if they need. However, the main cleaning during the ceremony means that you should avoid foods that make too much of a mess.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Hello Shoka,

I am vegan, so lots of options for oryoki. Usually I have a rice/bean mixture in the large (Buddha) bowl, usually raw or cooked veggies in the middle bowl, and miso in the small bowl.

I also have green tea or just plain hot water for drinking and cleaning. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi Shoka,

I'm usually having breakfast so it's pretty easy - scrambled eggs, fruit and yogurt, oatmeal (on the runny side so it's easier to clean up) tea - that sort of thing.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I will speak practically from experience in Japan, where in the monasteries here tend to serve Shojin Ryori (Buddhist Vegetarian Cooking). The main Buddha bowl is white or brown rice or a mix of rice and barley. There is Miso Soup in the middle dish, and a vegetable dish, maybe with a light sauce, and some pickles on the side.

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...ng/recipe.html

You do not need to stick to such a menu, but please remember that you need to clean the bowls with some speed and ease during the "washing" portion of packing the bowl. That means that you should be able to clean the bowls pretty well, and get most of the food off, quickly with just a little water and the Setsu (Cleaning Stick). Of course, you are expected to unpack and properly rewash your bowls after the meal in a sink if they need. However, the main cleaning during the ceremony means that you should avoid foods that make too much of a mess.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Actually, I just thought I should mention that breakfast is Congi, rice porridge, in the big Buddha Bowl in Japan. That is actually pretty sticky and hard to get off the bowl. So, never mind what I said.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Actually, I just thought I should mention that breakfast is Congi, rice porridge, in the big Buddha Bowl in Japan. That is actually pretty sticky and hard to get off the bowl. So, never mind what I said.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    LOL ... oh you are bringing back memories. I too tried to make rice gruel once ... it was like glue! Now I just stick to plain old rice.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I usually have rice with veggies in the Buddha bowl, another vegetable or soup in the middle bowl and fruit in the small bowl.

Gassho,
    Entai
    #SatToday

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Hi Shoka,

For me it's almost always some diced fruit like apple or pineapple. I keep it very simple.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi Shoka,

During Rohatsu I try to just use foods that are easy to prepare so there is not a lot of prep-time before oryoki (rice in the rice-maker, fruit, nuts, yogurt, scrambled eggs, small cubes of toasted bread, etc.).

I'll admit though, when I eat Oryoki periodically to "stay in practice", I tend to go with the least-sticky, easiest cleanup things I can find. Dry Cheerios, nuts, etc.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I have more fun than I should with this, I'm sure. For breakfast, oatmeal in one bowl, then fruit salad the next with a dollop of yogurt, then juice in the third bowl. For lunch or dinner, a rice dish with beans/tofu or fish chunks, vegetable salad or miso soup, and a square of some kind of zucchini, banana, or pumpkin bread with a little spread. I have experimented with spiced waters and teas, usually with a cinnamon/clove essence, to wash the bowls and it is delicious to drink at the end, truly ambrosia!
    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Hi Shoka,

Usually, in the Buddha bowl I have rice with mixed vegetables (like Mexico Mix etc.). In the middle bowl
    there is some soup or sometimes yoghurt with fresh/dried fruits and/or nuts. The small one is for the tea
    or plain hot water. I always try to cook the simplier, less messy and sticky meal.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST

Thanks for the suggestions. I think a rice salad is what I need to start making for the big bowl. Instead of just rice.

Gassho,

Shops
    Sattoday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

At the Hobart Oryoki meal we had the following

Buddha Bowl
    Grits
    -cooked in a rice cooker 1 part grits to 4-5 parts water, start out with 1/2 tsp salt, cook for 20 minutes or until cooker goes to "warm" Adjust the seasoning with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and butter. Sprinkle finely grated cheddar or parmesan after serving.
    I made ours rather loose, but with less water or longer cooking time may start to get thicker

Middle bowl
    Pinhead (steel cut) oats
    - unfortunately I forgot to get fresh oats and used 3 minute oats which worked, with dried blueberries as a topping, but here is my favorite recipe for overnight oats.
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1 cup dried figs
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    heat up oats in a nonstick pan, swirling over the flame, when you start to smell a nutty scent, immediately put them in the crock pot.
    combine with the rest of the ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.
    your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

small bowl
    Vegetarian breakfast patties cut in half or quarters for easy handling by chopsticks
    https://www.morningstarfarms.com/pro...s-product.html

Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Quote Originally Posted by Myogan View Post
    At the Hobart Oryoki meal we had the following

Buddha Bowl
    Grits
    -cooked in a rice cooker 1 part grits to 4-5 parts water, start out with 1/2 tsp salt, cook for 20 minutes or until cooker goes to "warm" Adjust the seasoning with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and butter. Sprinkle finely grated cheddar or parmesan after serving.
    I made ours rather loose, but with less water or longer cooking time may start to get thicker

Middle bowl
    Pinhead (steel cut) oats
    - unfortunately I forgot to get fresh oats and used 3 minute oats which worked, with dried blueberries as a topping, but here is my favorite recipe for overnight oats.
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1 cup dried figs
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    heat up oats in a nonstick pan, swirling over the flame, when you start to smell a nutty scent, immediately put them in the crock pot.
    combine with the rest of the ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.
    your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

small bowl
    Vegetarian breakfast patties cut in half or quarters for easy handling by chopsticks
    https://www.morningstarfarms.com/pro...s-product.html

Gassho
    Sat
    Myogan, I want to thank you again for your care and hospitality, and work at preparations. It really was a fine couple of days thanks to you.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH