Thread: April 21st-22nd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - 'Bring On Da Funk'

April 21st-22nd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - 'Bring On Da Funk'

We'll Be Dancin' the Funky Hannya Today!

reMINDer - It struck me that not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, links below, and let your voice ring!

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-21-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Dear All,

We will be Dancing the VERY traditional and ancient FUNKY HANNYA during our Ceremony today ...

It is by the Japanese group "Garbage Collection" ... it ain't garbage ...

We also request that all ceremony participants study and master the VERY traditional and ancient movements and mudra of this VERY traditional and ancient ritual, overflowing with esoteric meanings and ... the Buddha Chicken ...

WARNING: For members actually old enough to already know the 'Funky Chicken' ... don't hurt yourself!

Thank you ...

Last edited by Jundo; 04-21-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Wonderful, I will be there with bells ready and my groovin groove! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Gotta admit I'd never heard of the 'Funky Chicken' before, but there's a first time for everything. I'll be there live one-way.

Gassho,
    Marie
    sattoday

I'll be here/there...

....remember the hustle and the bump?

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Thank you, Jundo. I'll be doing it live, one-way. I'm looking forward to doing the funky chicken to the Hannya

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Without playing the video and relying on memory...............EEEk, I'm going to have nightmares tonight but will sit the Funky Mudra over Saturday and Sunday. Right On peeps. Now where did I put those loon pants ??

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Won't be able to join live. Looking forward to the VOD however. Have a good practice everyone.

James F
    Sattoday

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Will be there with feathers and clucks two-way if possible.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Yay! First Friday in awhile I don't have to work late and no urgent family situations to deal with. Will be dancing one-way with you all!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, Right!

NO WAY AM I GONNA DO THIS 2 way!
    Probably give my dog a heart attack watching me.
    Thought April Fools day was past
    Last edited by Kyousui; 04-22-2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Would'cha like to know!

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link if needed: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...prsfl2nkjj6f4e

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by TomSchulte View Post
    NO WAY AM I GONNA DO THIS LIVE!
    Probably give my dog a heart attack watching me.
    Thought April Fools day was past
    Let go and say "yes" to the whole universe.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

If you are joining the two-way hangout and get an error message, just click on the "Treeleaf" image (with Jundo and the Zendo in it) and it should go away.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Mp
    Oh boy, thank was awesome, thank you Jundo and everyone for a great zazenkai. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today and did the #funky chicken

Joyo
    Thank you Jundo, Shingen and everyone.

I'm glad there is a mute button on google hangouts or you all would have kicked me out. There's a loud game of hide-and-go-seek being played at my house right now with kids. lol!!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Raf
    Sat the funky today

Thank you, Jundo, Shingen and all of the people practicing. I was able to participate two-way, a nice surprise for me. Have a good, funky weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Gassho dear funksters. Have a great weekend.

Daizan

sat today....dozed somewhat.

Thank you funkhisattvas. Wonderful to sit and dance together with all beings!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #clucked

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro

I guarantee our Sangha could win the Zen Funky Chicken dance off!! Love you guys! And glad no one walked in on me groovin' with my iPhone!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    PS Had an interesting test of Zazen tonight as out of the corner of my eye, I saw a good sized, very fast spider scurry across the floor twice... it ended up under the bed that I am getting in now... Ack!

April 21st-22nd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - 'Bring On Da Funk'

What a funky Zazenkai!Here in Tenryuji brilliant spring season has come and sit Sesshin day4.

I will sit with you.

Last edited by Kakunen; 04-22-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Thank you all
    Sat with the recorded version. Thanks to an intense dance practice session with my son yesterday I was wonderfully prepared for the funky chicken dance

Have a great weekend!

Gassho

Marion

Words can't express how much I enjoyed this, and you know what, I loved that (not) Garbage version of the Heart Sutra!
    Shine on crazy Treeleafers, I love this Sangha!
    Gassho

Sat with you all this morning and funky chickens.
    Last edited by Meitou; 04-23-2017 at 06:44 AM.

I Just Sat and danced with all of You and the last zazenkai recording.
    Grateful for sharing my practice with everyone here.
    Wishing peace and a wonderful week for all of You.
    Gassho, Gokai
    Sattoday

Will be sitting, er, dancing this one tonight.
    Gassho,
    Matt

Sat with all you silly funky people tonight. I think we should get our own Broadway show.
    James F
    Sat5minutesago

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Participated on demand earlier this week. Looks like loads of fun but I feel I can never let myself go like you folk. Too tense too uptight too self conscious. Teenage memories of distant dance halls, decades later nothings changed..............more practice required methinks.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you dear Sangha!

Best dharma talk, ever.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Just sat this for my weekly zazenkai. The Dharma talk brought a smile to my face. Thank you everyone for your practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday/LAH

I want to thank Jundo for a funky time in our Friday/Saturday Zazenkai, me with the recording, and trying out two new things, a "Buddhist" cushion specifically made for chair sitting, and my new neck collars, now I have two so one can be washed and I can wear the other, very useful in sitting, and I will be wearing, sitting more comfortably. Truthfully I have the chair cushion but haven't been able to use it, and only one of the collars is new. So happy to participate although late.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆