Thread: Wearing of lay practictioner robe

Gaman

Wearing of lay practictioner robe

Hi,
    This is my first post on the forum. Beware: Rookie question

I have heard that there are robes for lay practitioners.
    May I ask when exactly you would be wearing a robe as a lay practitioner?
    For example, I am assuming it is only appropriate after the Jukai ceremony.
    And never in public, say, if you'd like to practice walking meditiation around your suburb.
    Am I right in assuming that one can wear a robe if one feels it will help the practice (at home, as part of a morning ritual before sitting, to 'get in the mood' so to speak), but not if it is ego driven (to show off what a good little Buddhist one is).

It seems, like with so many things Zen, that it is the intention, rather than the outward appearance, that is essential...(Am I on the right track here?)

If anybody would like to share their robing habits I would like to hear them. (Oops, this was not intended as 'ask the scot what's under the quilt' question. I would simply like to know if you wear them, when and why and how you justify it to yourself that it's not about feeding the ego in some way.)

Thanks so much,
    Fiona

SatToday

The only robe I have is the rakusu, though I am currently working-- very slowly-- on the kesa. I usually only wear it while sitting, or sometimes around the house. I currently don't wear it at all, I'm afraid, as I'm living with relatives who would find it a little odd. If I wished, there would be nothing wrong with wearing it outside. However, the desire to do so hasn't really come up. Most people wouldn't know what it is, and I prefer not to have people wondering what I'm about, or inviting conversation and questions that I might handle clumsily. Therefore, wearing it to boost the ego will never be a problem for me! BUT, as I said, there is nothing wrong with wearing it at any time, except the bathroom and bathing. Wearing the rakusu or kesa is, to me, a reminder to be practicing the precepts, so I try to be mindful of not breaking the precepts while I am wearing it, which is fairly simple.

If you're referring to the kimono style clothing worn in the zendo, I don't think there'd be anything wrong with that either. It's just a matter of personal comfort.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi Fiona,

It is not a 'rookie' question at all.

First, we need to define terms. First, there is the Kesa (also known as a 'Kasaya') as Nishijima Roshi is wearing int the photo below, which is the large cloth robe that monks wear draped over the left shoulder (but which in our 'Nyoho-e' tradition, a practice of sewing a Kesa of a special pattern here and in many corners of the Soto Zen world, can also be sewn and worn by lay folks).

As well, there is a Rakusu, which is a little 'bib-like' vestment meant as an abbreviated version of the full Kesa. Sometimes you see folks wearing Rakusu with rings in the Zen world, but the Nyoho-e Rakusu does not have a ring.

Both the Nyoho-e Kesa and Rakusu can be sewn and worn by someone after they have undertaken Jukai.

Then, there are what are known as lay "Zen robes" that some folks like to wear, maybe something like in this photo. There is absolutely no requirement to wear those, and one can sit in any loose fitting, comfortable clothing (we usually avoid bright colors and busy patterns, however, preferring dark solid colors, as it is less sensory distracting. Shorts are also frowned upon in many formal groups, and blue jeans are constricting. But, on my own, I often sit in both).

In this Sangha, we hold the Kesa as precious, a symbol enveloping the whole universe and the Buddha's teachings. However, there is no need for a "lay robe". Nishijima Roshi, who was often seen in both the formal robes of a Soto Zen Priest or in a business suit (with Kesa), honored the Kesa and Rakusu. He would sometimes say that our wearing all the other traditional robes is just dressing up in costume like "old Chinese people from the Tang Dynasty".

However, on the other "sound of one hand clapping" hand, wearing some special clothing ... just like making a special sacred space in our homes with incense where we sit Zazen ... helps some folks to realize some sacred moment and to step back from the dusty day-to-day world a bit. Some people are helped by that. Other people can find their "sacred space" anywhere in the world, just as some people can find the sacred moment whatever they are wearing. Some folks appreciate the old gear, some folks get hung up on it as if "Zen" requires tatami mats, shoji screens and special decorations (it does not!)

I put on special robes for our Sangha Zazenkai each month, and in this Sangha we encourage the sewing the Kesa and Rakusu Buddha's robes as a sacred act, a meaningful robe that symbolizes this Way. I wear the "full gear" once in awhile, for our monthly Zazenkai or special events, simply to be respectful of tradition at such times, out of respect for our Ancestors and to mark the moment. Other times (in fact, most days) I sit in a t-shirt and shorts with Rakusu. Many times, on the spur of the moment or away from home, I sit with the "Rakusu" that is only felt in my heart and not seen by the eye.

I usually do not wear a Rakusu just out in life, at the office or in the grocery (neither did Nishijima). I wear the "invisible" Rakusu in my heart at such times. On the other hand, if there is some event, I sometimes walk around this town in my priest gear, no problem.

I believe that we can sit anywhere, that all of life is sacred when tasted as such ... that the most ordinary is special ... that there is no sacred space left out. Don't exclude one way or the other, so long as all is held as sacred! One does not need some special robe or any gear to sit Zazen, just (after Jukai) a Rakusu or a Kesa seen or unseen.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-12-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

IMG_0060.JPG

I don't wear anything most of the time. I don't think it's that important but that's just me.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    IMG_0060.JPG

I don't wear anything most of the time. I don't think it's that important but that's just me.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    By the way, I guess we should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ...

Skyclad Zendo

Follow teachings of Toni Packer and Springwater Center. The Skyclad Zendo is a naturist Zen meditation group which follows a non-traditional approach of open inquiry through awareness, mindfulness and attention. We meet every Sunday morning for two hours of zazen au naturel, from 10 A.M. to noon in the yoga room at Paradise Lakes Resort, 2001 Brinson Rd., Lutz, FL 33558-8367. We also offer seven-day silent meditation retreats with various teachers.

No, I never actually got to go, as things just were left hanging. I woulda gone. They said to just bring my own towel!

I coulda worn my Rakusu with the --extra-- long straps.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, I guess we should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ...

Skyclad Zendo

Follow teachings of Toni Packer and Springwater Center. The Skyclad Zendo is a naturist Zen meditation group which follows a non-traditional approach of open inquiry through awareness, mindfulness and attention. We meet every Sunday morning for two hours of zazen au naturel, from 10 A.M. to noon in the yoga room at Paradise Lakes Resort, 2001 Brinson Rd., Lutz, FL 33558-8367. We also offer seven-day silent meditation retreats with various teachers.

No, I never actually got to go, as things just were left hanging. I woulda gone. They said to just bring my own towel!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Have heard of them. About 40 miles from me. Am playing in a hockey tournament next week right near there. Will let you know if I make there. Their location makes sense, there are at least two nudist resorts nearby.

SAT today

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

BTW India has a long history and tradition of naked meditation. Mahavir , one of Buddha's contemporize didn't wear clothes. He was the Mains founder I believe.

SAT today

_/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    BTW India has a long history and tradition of naked meditation. Mahavir , one of Buddha's contemporize didn't wear clothes. He was the Mains founder I believe.

SAT today

The jains. Don't understand why phones change what I type

_/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Hi Rich,

Nude hockey? Sounds dangerous (and cold!)

Yes, when I was in India in November, I had contact with the nude "skyclad" Jain and Hindu priests, and the Jains have their own TV station ...

In any case, here is a small sample of the channel. In case you are wondering, it seems 90% (although not completely) free of full nudity, certainly in respect for folks from other religions who may be channel surfing. Not so at live events of course (I did read that the "skyclad" nuns dress). Also, Jain monks are celibate, and required to observe strict chastity and freedom from mental desires.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Nude hockey is too dangerous 🤗🏒

SAT today

_/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    IMG_0060.JPG

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    There are robes for that too!

19627543.jpg

As far as my personal robe habits go I wear shorts and a tshirt or loose fitting yoga pants and a sweatshirt 99% of the time. I never wear buddhist accouterments outside my house other than perhaps a mala.

#sattoday
    #gassho
    Last edited by Nengyo; 04-13-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

"I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ..."

Definitely better in Florida than England or Japan!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Hi Fiona,
    I have lay robes that I occasionally wear for Zazenkai if the mood strikes me. For daily zazen I wear the Rakasu and comfy yoga-style pants. I'm currently sewing the Kesa. The act of sewing has been an incredible teaching for me. Stitch and stitch and stitch (and many interspersed needle jabs). I don't wear any of these when out and about.

As for all the nude zazen, hockey and such.... I wouldn't subject anyone to that.

Gassho, Entai
    #SatToday

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

no robe or kilt 4 me

Peace
    Gilles

Thank you for this information Jundo and thank you for the original post Gaman.

Gassho
    Anna

ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you for this post, that kind of clears things up. For myself I think I find myself a bit in both camps. I definitely see how we must not get hung up on garb and be able to wear the heart of the matter regardless. I also can see how wearing some type of formal clothes during zazen can help give a sense of "special" to the time.

I am wondering regarding rakasu and kesa colors. I originally sewed my rakasu out of a dark blue material, but now I am kind of thinking I might like to sew one ,or both, out of a dark green color in order to symbolize pine. Or, is it inappropriate to think in "team colors" like this?

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat today/ lah
    Grateful for your practice

Also recall that there are some Sangha that do give special meanings to colors, although there doing so is completely their own "in house" invention. For example, if you are going to suddenly move to California and sit with some of the San Francisco Zen Center folks, my understanding is they say "brown/green is for teachers" or some such, but that is just something they decided for themselves.

Here, the only rule on color is as Shingen guides.

Gassho, J

ST+Lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-28-2022 at 06:56 AM.

...*now realizing that I wore a brown rakusu inside SFZC*... O_O

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Skyclad Zendo

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Was not expecting this tangent! The things I learn in this comm.

Gassho,
    Meredith
    _/st\_

As I now recall I guess that is why I had chosen Navy blue for my Rakasu in the first place.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today lah
    Grateful for your practice

IMG_1042.jpg

I'm active with a brick and mortar sangha in the Shunryu Suzuki lineage, and our sewing teacher's teacher was at Berkeley Zen Center and hers was at SFZC. Here we have, foreground, a navy blue rakusu of dyed muslin; the blue basically means to us a layperson. It has temporary white patches over the joro; the patches are a nod to my roshi's time at a monastery where that is done to indicate one is a postulant to become a novice priest. It might be the only rakusu with those patches outside that lineage!

The rakusu under construction in the background is of the same bolt of muslin dyed black, and is for a novice priest (same person; everything changes). It's since completed and is awaiting shukke tokudo, along with the other stuff currently being sewn. Yes, Roshi wears a brown rakusu or robe; but if a layperson were to visit wearing the same color that should be just dandy.

I have seen one green rakusu with a ring on it, and did not quite hear all of what it was about, but gathered it had something to do with lay teaching and possibly also environmental activist stuff. I was envious of it and had to give myself a good preceptual talking to.

We had someone at zazenkai a few times who has a robe with about nine colors -- cloth donated by each of his friends and family -- Glassman lineage, I think -- and we all surrounded him and went "oooohhh" and "aaaahhh."

If someone shows up having forgotten their rakusu and wants one, we run get a spare -- any color -- and it's theirs for the day. Or they can do without, quite happily -- the robe chant is for every being, yes? _()_

gassho
    doyu sattoday
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 08-20-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you Shingen, Ishin and Doyo

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I’m really looking forward to sewing my Rakusu and seeing how it turns out. (Didn’t think I’d ever utter a sentence beginning with “I’m looking forward to sewing ...” lol)

I decided Dark Green just because I loved the eco and Treeleaf connotations and it’s a beautiful color and couldn’t see any definitive standard of meaning online. Plus, Shingen approved the fabric and thread colors privately.

Gassho
    Kevin
    #SAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    ...*now realizing that I wore a brown rakusu inside SFZC*... O_O

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    Haha yes and I wore a green one! When we were outside taking our picture on the steps, I had my coat on I think, and one of them ran up to adjust my Rakusu to make sure it was over top. I figured that putting it underneath coat edges must be a Zen faux pas.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Haha yes and I wore a green one! When we were outside taking our picture on the steps, I had my coat on I think, and one of them ran up to adjust my Rakusu to make sure it was over top. I figured that putting it underneath coat edges must be a Zen faux pas.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Oh, I am sure that nobody there cared for just a visit! However, if somebody was training or visiting there longer, well, when in Rome wear what the Romans wear (no green togas!)

In Europe, for Deshimaru Lineage folks, I heard that "only teachers have rings on their Rakusu."

NONE of this is the rule in Japan. Just stuff that people come up with.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Rev R View Post
    I was given a Chinese style kesa many years ago, but I'm left-handed so it's a pain in the butt. In general, practice wear is whatever I have on at the time. Today, I recite the nembutsu in a Deadpool t-shirt.

ST
    Rod
    Rakusu would be very easy to put on with one hand.

Maezumi Roshi's brother (Junyu Kuroda Roshi) puts on his priest robes each day, eats Oryoki (I had the privilege once of sitting next to him at his temple, with Maezumi Roshi, for a meal), is a calligrapher, and he lost all his fingers on both hands in a fire many years ago. I am sure that he also asks for help when he needs. That's him below ...

I was severely burned twenty-six-or-seven years ago and lost all ten fingers. I have only the back of my right hand left. I cut lines in it to make it look like a hand. Half of my body suffered third degree burns. So it was a kind of miracle that I could survive. Yet I went to Mt. Godai in China with my both hands swathed in bandages. It is very inconvenient to live without ten fingers. It is particularly agonizing to be fed by someone at every meal. It is also agonizing to be attended to all my personal needs. ... Bodhidharma had several disciples. Eka was one of them. There is a famous story of him cutting off his arm at the elbow. On a snowy day, Eka cut off his arm and offered it to Bodhidharma, asking, "Please show me the truth. Please pacify my mind." Bodhidharma said, "If your mind is not at peace and ease, then bring that mind to me." Eka meditated deeply on these words and answered, "I can't find it." Bodhidharma said, "That's it! That is a peaceful mind."
    And a Koan: What is the Kesa one puts on with no hands?

Gassho, J

STLah

delete hojo2.png

PS - Who gave you your Kesa? It should not just be worn.
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-23-2019 at 12:02 AM.

The Atlanta Shambala Center held a memorial service for my brother, and I attended in my full robes, the first time I've worn them in four years, since we moved away from our sangha. It felt very comforting to me, in an intimately familiar, right-brained, subconscious sort of way; as if the cloth had somehow retained a faint echo of my teacher and sangha's embrace. It imparted to me a measure of peace.
    Wonderous is the robe of liberation,
    A treasure beyond form and emptiness.
    Wearing it I will unfold the Buddha's teachings,
    For the benefit of all sentient beings.

Deep bows to all undertaking jukai in the coming season.

Sat today.
    Emmet

Wonderful, as to the robe, Emmet; metta to you and may your brother's path shine a light on yours. _()_

gassho doyu sat and lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you Emmet, and metta for all

Gassho
    Washin
    st/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Here is an English haiku I wrote about robes:

Buddha's robe
    around my neck-
    Littmann stethoscope

Nine bows,
    Chishou
    Sat
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Quote Originally Posted by Chishou View Post
    Here is an English haiku I wrote about robes:

Buddha's robe
    around my neck-
    Littmann stethoscope

Nine bows,
    Chishou
    Sat
    As a former Wearer of the Littmann, I like that very much.
    Emmet

Quote Originally Posted by gilles View Post
    no robe or kilt 4 me

Peace
    Gilles
    Actually a kilt is quite nice when sitting seiza on the zabuton

Gassh
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Can a kesa put on with no hands ever be discarded?

Gassho,
    Geoff.

SatToday
    LaH.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Myogan View Post
    Actually a kilt is quite nice when sitting seiza on the zabuton

Gassh
    Sat
    Yes, but just be careful about those Yoga poses in your kilt ...

maxresdefault.jpg

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

My eyes! My God, my eyes ...

Though it does raise a question: could one use a clan tartan as material for a Rakusu or would that be inappropriate?

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    My eyes! My God, my eyes ...

Though it does raise a question: could one use a clan tartan as material for a Rakusu or would that be inappropriate?

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat
    No, no tartan. Not for a first Rakusu anyway.

However, maybe somewhere down the road.

They are not the plain "Nyoho-e" style that we sew, but in Japan, big Roshis can sometimes wear some rather fancy Rakusu (but you have to wait until you are a big fancy Roshi) :-)

(Why does the top one remind me of my late, beloved, grandmother's sofa? Hummm. I recall the plastic slip covers fondly. )

I have seen a few, primarily American, Zen teachers get a little creative with the Rakusu ... like a blue jeans Rakusu and one Snoopy Rakusu I recall. However, please wait for now.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-01-2019 at 05:50 PM.

So tempted to make a Kesa with Tartan Panels now!

Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

No, no tartan. Not for a first Rakusu anyway.
    Of course Jundo. I'm still working my way up to "noob" so I'll definitely stick to the basics. I'm going dark blue for my first Rakusu. I can only imagine the PM conversation with Shingen if I asked to use tartan for the Rakusu ... I think his head might explode lol.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat

I was previously aware that lay practitioners are to make a rakusu in navy. I would like to ask if there - is there specific color of kesa lay practitioners who have participated in the jukai may wear? Is there a color of kimono other than white that may be worn under the lay practitioners robe?

Thank you for your assistance with my questions.

Gassho,

Yamabushi
    (Sat Today)

Hi Yamabushi,

Here at Treeleaf we don't ascribe specific colors for folks, either for the Rakusu or the Kesa. We do follow Nyoho-e with regards to color and we will be talking more about that as we start the Rakusu sewing thread. In general they are dark, "muddy" colors.

From a post by Jundo, "The color should not be a pure and bright color, it should be neither white nor a clear primary color, rather a mixed and muddy darkish color: blue, grey, brown, purple, black, dark yellow, dark green..."

Before sewing a Kesa one requests permission from Jundo. At a minimum they must have completed Jukai. Once given the go ahead, the priests here can help you choose a color. Again, there is no lay practitioner color per se, but the color should conform to Nyoho-e.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

What Shinshi said. He is one of our "Three Rakusuteers," Kotei, aided and advised by Washin and Shinshi, who will facilitate sewing during our Jukai preparations.

As to the underrobe under the lay practitioner's robe (sometimes called "kimono" or "naga-juban" 長襦袢 long Juban, not to be confused with the top only han-juban or half juban), I cannot speak for other Sangha. As well, here the lay practitioner's robe is purely optional, not required. However, in Japan, priests wear white underrobes for very formal ceremonies, but otherwise white or gray colored usually. The gray are easier to keep clean. So, I would say either white or gray is fine.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2021 at 03:30 AM.

Thank you all for your helpful insight on this topic.

Gassho,

-Jared

Nishijima Roshi believed that the only robe with real meaning is the Kesa/Rakusu ... so western street clothes are perfectly sacred and fine too ...

... and the other old robes, well, we may wear for tradition, but he said that it is like dressing up as ancient Chinese people for Halloween!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-04-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Such a realistic, down-to-Earth approach, and yet, and yet… when in modern clothes, we wear them with devotion and when dressing up like ancient Chinese people, we do that too wholeheartedly.

SatToday (in Chinese clothes, for real, for real)
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-04-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I wear a simple mens black Japanese housecoat my daughter brought me from Japan. All this in a Buddhist life so I have heard are gifted most of my clothes, my things on my alter even the shelves where I keep my Buddha statues. And the black housecoat drops to my knees not quite fitting lol in the front because Many Japanese men are smaller than me lol . I have lost almost 40 lbs for my surgery. This coat is for me the perfect Layman robe.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆