Results 1 to 50 of 50

Thread: Wearing of lay practictioner robe

  1. #1
    Gaman
    Guest

    Wearing of lay practictioner robe

    Hi,
    This is my first post on the forum. Beware: Rookie question

    I have heard that there are robes for lay practitioners.
    May I ask when exactly you would be wearing a robe as a lay practitioner?
    For example, I am assuming it is only appropriate after the Jukai ceremony.
    And never in public, say, if you'd like to practice walking meditiation around your suburb.
    Am I right in assuming that one can wear a robe if one feels it will help the practice (at home, as part of a morning ritual before sitting, to 'get in the mood' so to speak), but not if it is ego driven (to show off what a good little Buddhist one is).

    It seems, like with so many things Zen, that it is the intention, rather than the outward appearance, that is essential...(Am I on the right track here?)

    If anybody would like to share their robing habits I would like to hear them. (Oops, this was not intended as 'ask the scot what's under the quilt' question. I would simply like to know if you wear them, when and why and how you justify it to yourself that it's not about feeding the ego in some way.)


    Thanks so much,
    Fiona

    SatToday

  2. #2
    Treeleaf Unsui Geika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    The only robe I have is the rakusu, though I am currently working-- very slowly-- on the kesa. I usually only wear it while sitting, or sometimes around the house. I currently don't wear it at all, I'm afraid, as I'm living with relatives who would find it a little odd. If I wished, there would be nothing wrong with wearing it outside. However, the desire to do so hasn't really come up. Most people wouldn't know what it is, and I prefer not to have people wondering what I'm about, or inviting conversation and questions that I might handle clumsily. Therefore, wearing it to boost the ego will never be a problem for me! BUT, as I said, there is nothing wrong with wearing it at any time, except the bathroom and bathing. Wearing the rakusu or kesa is, to me, a reminder to be practicing the precepts, so I try to be mindful of not breaking the precepts while I am wearing it, which is fairly simple.

    If you're referring to the kimono style clothing worn in the zendo, I don't think there'd be anything wrong with that either. It's just a matter of personal comfort.

    Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

  3. #3
    Hi Fiona,

    It is not a 'rookie' question at all.

    First, we need to define terms. First, there is the Kesa (also known as a 'Kasaya') as Nishijima Roshi is wearing int the photo below, which is the large cloth robe that monks wear draped over the left shoulder (but which in our 'Nyoho-e' tradition, a practice of sewing a Kesa of a special pattern here and in many corners of the Soto Zen world, can also be sewn and worn by lay folks).

    As well, there is a Rakusu, which is a little 'bib-like' vestment meant as an abbreviated version of the full Kesa. Sometimes you see folks wearing Rakusu with rings in the Zen world, but the Nyoho-e Rakusu does not have a ring.



    Both the Nyoho-e Kesa and Rakusu can be sewn and worn by someone after they have undertaken Jukai.

    Then, there are what are known as lay "Zen robes" that some folks like to wear, maybe something like in this photo. There is absolutely no requirement to wear those, and one can sit in any loose fitting, comfortable clothing (we usually avoid bright colors and busy patterns, however, preferring dark solid colors, as it is less sensory distracting. Shorts are also frowned upon in many formal groups, and blue jeans are constricting. But, on my own, I often sit in both).



    In this Sangha, we hold the Kesa as precious, a symbol enveloping the whole universe and the Buddha's teachings. However, there is no need for a "lay robe". Nishijima Roshi, who was often seen in both the formal robes of a Soto Zen Priest or in a business suit (with Kesa), honored the Kesa and Rakusu. He would sometimes say that our wearing all the other traditional robes is just dressing up in costume like "old Chinese people from the Tang Dynasty".



    However, on the other "sound of one hand clapping" hand, wearing some special clothing ... just like making a special sacred space in our homes with incense where we sit Zazen ... helps some folks to realize some sacred moment and to step back from the dusty day-to-day world a bit. Some people are helped by that. Other people can find their "sacred space" anywhere in the world, just as some people can find the sacred moment whatever they are wearing. Some folks appreciate the old gear, some folks get hung up on it as if "Zen" requires tatami mats, shoji screens and special decorations (it does not!)

    I put on special robes for our Sangha Zazenkai each month, and in this Sangha we encourage the sewing the Kesa and Rakusu Buddha's robes as a sacred act, a meaningful robe that symbolizes this Way. I wear the "full gear" once in awhile, for our monthly Zazenkai or special events, simply to be respectful of tradition at such times, out of respect for our Ancestors and to mark the moment. Other times (in fact, most days) I sit in a t-shirt and shorts with Rakusu. Many times, on the spur of the moment or away from home, I sit with the "Rakusu" that is only felt in my heart and not seen by the eye.

    I usually do not wear a Rakusu just out in life, at the office or in the grocery (neither did Nishijima). I wear the "invisible" Rakusu in my heart at such times. On the other hand, if there is some event, I sometimes walk around this town in my priest gear, no problem.

    I believe that we can sit anywhere, that all of life is sacred when tasted as such ... that the most ordinary is special ... that there is no sacred space left out. Don't exclude one way or the other, so long as all is held as sacred! One does not need some special robe or any gear to sit Zazen, just (after Jukai) a Rakusu or a Kesa seen or unseen.

    Gassho, J

    SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-12-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  4. #4
    IMG_0060.JPG

    I don't wear anything most of the time. I don't think it's that important but that's just me.

    Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    IMG_0060.JPG

    I don't wear anything most of the time. I don't think it's that important but that's just me.

    Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    By the way, I guess we should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ...

    Skyclad Zendo


    Follow teachings of Toni Packer and Springwater Center. The Skyclad Zendo is a naturist Zen meditation group which follows a non-traditional approach of open inquiry through awareness, mindfulness and attention. We meet every Sunday morning for two hours of zazen au naturel, from 10 A.M. to noon in the yoga room at Paradise Lakes Resort, 2001 Brinson Rd., Lutz, FL 33558-8367. We also offer seven-day silent meditation retreats with various teachers.


    No, I never actually got to go, as things just were left hanging. I woulda gone. They said to just bring my own towel!

    I coulda worn my Rakusu with the --extra-- long straps.

    Gassho, Jundo

    SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, I guess we should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ...

    Skyclad Zendo


    Follow teachings of Toni Packer and Springwater Center. The Skyclad Zendo is a naturist Zen meditation group which follows a non-traditional approach of open inquiry through awareness, mindfulness and attention. We meet every Sunday morning for two hours of zazen au naturel, from 10 A.M. to noon in the yoga room at Paradise Lakes Resort, 2001 Brinson Rd., Lutz, FL 33558-8367. We also offer seven-day silent meditation retreats with various teachers.


    No, I never actually got to go, as things just were left hanging. I woulda gone. They said to just bring my own towel!

    I coulda worn my Rakusu with the --extra-- long straps.

    Gassho, Jundo

    SatToday
    Have heard of them. About 40 miles from me. Am playing in a hockey tournament next week right near there. Will let you know if I make there. Their location makes sense, there are at least two nudist resorts nearby.

    SAT today

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

    I may be wrong and not knowing is acceptable

  7. #7
    BTW India has a long history and tradition of naked meditation. Mahavir , one of Buddha's contemporize didn't wear clothes. He was the Mains founder I believe.

    SAT today

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

    I may be wrong and not knowing is acceptable

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    BTW India has a long history and tradition of naked meditation. Mahavir , one of Buddha's contemporize didn't wear clothes. He was the Mains founder I believe.

    SAT today

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The jains. Don't understand why phones change what I type

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

    I may be wrong and not knowing is acceptable

  9. #9
    Hello Fiona,

    Jundo has explained it very well ... maybe you will sew a rakusu this fall? =)

    Gassho
    Shingen

    s@today
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

  10. #10
    Hi Rich,

    Nude hockey? Sounds dangerous (and cold!)

    Yes, when I was in India in November, I had contact with the nude "skyclad" Jain and Hindu priests, and the Jains have their own TV station ...

    In any case, here is a small sample of the channel. In case you are wondering, it seems 90% (although not completely) free of full nudity, certainly in respect for folks from other religions who may be channel surfing. Not so at live events of course (I did read that the "skyclad" nuns dress). Also, Jain monks are celibate, and required to observe strict chastity and freedom from mental desires.

    Gassho, J

    SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  11. #11
    Nude hockey is too dangerous 🤗🏒

    SAT today

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

    I may be wrong and not knowing is acceptable

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    IMG_0060.JPG

    I don't wear anything most of the time. I don't think it's that important but that's just me.

    Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    There are robes for that too!

    19627543.jpg


    As far as my personal robe habits go I wear shorts and a tshirt or loose fitting yoga pants and a sweatshirt 99% of the time. I never wear buddhist accouterments outside my house other than perhaps a mala.

    #sattoday
    #gassho
    Last edited by Nengyo; 04-13-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

  13. #13
    Joyo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, I guess we should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ...

    Skyclad Zendo


    Follow teachings of Toni Packer and Springwater Center. The Skyclad Zendo is a naturist Zen meditation group which follows a non-traditional approach of open inquiry through awareness, mindfulness and attention. We meet every Sunday morning for two hours of zazen au naturel, from 10 A.M. to noon in the yoga room at Paradise Lakes Resort, 2001 Brinson Rd., Lutz, FL 33558-8367. We also offer seven-day silent meditation retreats with various teachers.


    No, I never actually got to go, as things just were left hanging. I woulda gone. They said to just bring my own towel!

    I coulda worn my Rakusu with the --extra-- long straps.

    Gassho, Jundo

    SatToday
    Omg, you made me laugh, Jundo.

    I wonder if they have naked yoga after zazen lol

    Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today (with clothes on!!)

  14. #14
    "I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ..."

    Definitely better in Florida than England or Japan!


    Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

  15. #15
    Hi Fiona,
    I have lay robes that I occasionally wear for Zazenkai if the mood strikes me. For daily zazen I wear the Rakasu and comfy yoga-style pants. I'm currently sewing the Kesa. The act of sewing has been an incredible teaching for me. Stitch and stitch and stitch (and many interspersed needle jabs). I don't wear any of these when out and about.

    As for all the nude zazen, hockey and such.... I wouldn't subject anyone to that.

    Gassho, Entai
    #SatToday

    泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

  16. #16
    no robe or kilt 4 me

    Peace
    Gilles

  17. #17
    Member Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Rural Queensland, Australia
    Thank you for this information Jundo and thank you for the original post Gaman.

    Gassho
    Anna

    ST
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  18. #18
    Thank you for this post, that kind of clears things up. For myself I think I find myself a bit in both camps. I definitely see how we must not get hung up on garb and be able to wear the heart of the matter regardless. I also can see how wearing some type of formal clothes during zazen can help give a sense of "special" to the time.

    I am wondering regarding rakasu and kesa colors. I originally sewed my rakasu out of a dark blue material, but now I am kind of thinking I might like to sew one ,or both, out of a dark green color in order to symbolize pine. Or, is it inappropriate to think in "team colors" like this?

    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat today/ lah
    Grateful for your practice

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishin View Post
    Thank you for this post, that kind of clears things up. For myself I think I find myself a bit in both camps. I definitely see how we must not get hung up on garb and be able to wear the heart of the matter regardless. I also can see how wearing some type of formal clothes during zazen can help give a sense of "special" to the time.

    I am wondering regarding rakasu and kesa colors. I originally sewed my rakasu out of a dark blue material, but now I am kind of thinking I might like to sew one ,or both, out of a dark green color in order to symbolize pine. Or, is it inappropriate to think in "team colors" like this?

    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat today/ lah
    Hey Ishin,

    You are more then welcome to sew another rakusu in green. Just remember the primary rule color ... If you have any questions or concerned about a color, just PM with it and I can help you with it. =)

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey Ishin,

    You are more then welcome to sew another rakusu in green. Just remember the primary rule color ... If you have any questions or concerned about a color, just PM with it and I can help you with it. =)

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    Also recall that there are some Sangha that do give special meanings to colors, although there doing so is completely their own "in house" invention. For example, if you are going to suddenly move to California and sit with some of the San Francisco Zen Center folks, my understanding is they say "brown/green is for teachers" or some such, but that is just something they decided for themselves.

    Here, the only rule on color is as Shingen guides.

    Gassho, J

    ST+Lah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Also recall that there are some Sangha that do give special meanings to colors, although there doing so is completely their own "in house" invention. For example, if you are going to suddenly move to California and sit with some of the San Francisco Zen Center folks, my understanding is they say "brown/green is for teachers" or some such, but that is just something they decided for themselves.

    Here, the only rule on color is as Shingen guides.

    Gassho, J

    ST+Lah
    Yes Jundo you are very correct on that. Most that I have seen allocate Brown/Green for Dharma Transmitted teachers; Black for Unsui (Priests in Training); Navy Blue for regular Sangha member's who have taken Jukai. This applies to both the rakusu and Okesa.

    Here at Treeleaf, which actually Tiagu taught me was ... "Don't worry about color unless you are wanting to impress some old Zen guy". That being said ... it is important to know if one plans on sitting with Zendos. It is actually a good idea if one sews more then one rakusu to have an "general" color for such occasions. With that being said, if you do have a brown or green one and you are sitting with others that don't follow our tradition, best to ask if it is ok to wear your brown, green, or black rakusu.

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    Last edited by Shingen; 08-19-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

  22. #22
    Treeleaf Unsui Geika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    ...*now realizing that I wore a brown rakusu inside SFZC*... O_O

    Gassho

    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    ...*now realizing that I wore a brown rakusu inside SFZC*... O_O

    Gassho

    Sat today, lah
    That cause you be a rebel! LOL

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, I guess we should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. I sometimes mention the time I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida ...

    Skyclad Zendo


    Follow teachings of Toni Packer and Springwater Center. The Skyclad Zendo is a naturist Zen meditation group which follows a non-traditional approach of open inquiry through awareness, mindfulness and attention. We meet every Sunday morning for two hours of zazen au naturel, from 10 A.M. to noon in the yoga room at Paradise Lakes Resort, 2001 Brinson Rd., Lutz, FL 33558-8367. We also offer seven-day silent meditation retreats with various teachers.


    No, I never actually got to go, as things just were left hanging. I woulda gone. They said to just bring my own towel!

    I coulda worn my Rakusu with the --extra-- long straps.

    Gassho, Jundo

    SatToday
    Was not expecting this tangent! The things I learn in this comm.

    Gassho,
    Meredith
    _/st\_

  25. #25
    Member Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Rural Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Yes Jundo you are very correct on that. Most that I have seen allocate Brown/Green for Dharma Transmitted teachers; Black for Unsui (Priests in Training); Navy Blue for regular Sangha member's who have taken Jukai. This applies to both the rakusu and Okesa.

    Here at Treeleaf, which actually Tiagu taught me was ... "Don't worry about color unless you are wanting to impress some old Zen guy". That being said ... it is important to know if one plans on sitting with Zendos. It is actually a good idea if one sews more then one rakusu to have an "general" color for such occasions. With that being said, if you do have a brown or green one and you are sitting with others that don't follow our tradition, best to ask if it is ok to wear your brown, green, or black rakusu.

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    Shingen, I've been meaning to ask about colours for my first Jukai/Rakusu attempt coming up.
    My partner found some old maroon coloured henna laying around and i was wondering if we dye some unbleached cotton fabric that we use to make our sarongs with if this would be an ok colour for a Rakasu. The alternative will be to cut up some of my old blue work shirts (that i still wear after 15 or so years) and kinda patch together enough length.

    Gassho
    Anna

    St/lah
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Shingen, I've been meaning to ask about colours for my first Jukai/Rakusu attempt coming up.
    My partner found some old maroon coloured henna laying around and i was wondering if we dye some unbleached cotton fabric that we use to make our sarongs with if this would be an ok colour for a Rakasu. The alternative will be to cut up some of my old blue work shirts (that i still wear after 15 or so years) and kinda patch together enough length.

    Gassho
    Anna

    St/lah
    Hello Anna,

    I will be posting the Rakusu Sew Along thread this week, so stay tuned. It will explain a bit more what is needed, along with colors and fabric types. In a nut shell, primary colors are not allowed, so maroon is fairly close to that color. But again, folks will need to send in photos so that I can see the colors.

    As for dying, you are more then welcome ... please do take into consideration that it does add extra time to do that, but you are more then welcome. If you have questions in regards to that, we have our Kotei is knows a ton on that. =)

    Anyways, stay tuned. =)

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

  27. #27
    As I now recall I guess that is why I had chosen Navy blue for my Rakasu in the first place.

    Thanks for everyone's input.

    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today lah
    Grateful for your practice

  28. #28
    IMG_1042.jpg

    I'm active with a brick and mortar sangha in the Shunryu Suzuki lineage, and our sewing teacher's teacher was at Berkeley Zen Center and hers was at SFZC. Here we have, foreground, a navy blue rakusu of dyed muslin; the blue basically means to us a layperson. It has temporary white patches over the joro; the patches are a nod to my roshi's time at a monastery where that is done to indicate one is a postulant to become a novice priest. It might be the only rakusu with those patches outside that lineage!

    The rakusu under construction in the background is of the same bolt of muslin dyed black, and is for a novice priest (same person; everything changes). It's since completed and is awaiting shukke tokudo, along with the other stuff currently being sewn. Yes, Roshi wears a brown rakusu or robe; but if a layperson were to visit wearing the same color that should be just dandy.

    I have seen one green rakusu with a ring on it, and did not quite hear all of what it was about, but gathered it had something to do with lay teaching and possibly also environmental activist stuff. I was envious of it and had to give myself a good preceptual talking to.

    We had someone at zazenkai a few times who has a robe with about nine colors -- cloth donated by each of his friends and family -- Glassman lineage, I think -- and we all surrounded him and went "oooohhh" and "aaaahhh."

    If someone shows up having forgotten their rakusu and wants one, we run get a spare -- any color -- and it's theirs for the day. Or they can do without, quite happily -- the robe chant is for every being, yes? _()_

    gassho
    doyu sattoday
    Last edited by Doyū; 08-20-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    特別な人ではない

  29. #29
    Member Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Rural Queensland, Australia
    Thank you Shingen, Ishin and Doyo

    Gassho
    Anna

    Sat today
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  30. #30
    Iím really looking forward to sewing my Rakusu and seeing how it turns out. (Didnít think Iíd ever utter a sentence beginning with ďIím looking forward to sewing ...Ē lol)

    I decided Dark Green just because I loved the eco and Treeleaf connotations and itís a beautiful color and couldnít see any definitive standard of meaning online. Plus, Shingen approved the fabric and thread colors privately.

    Gassho
    Kevin
    #SAT




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    Iím really looking forward to sewing my Rakusu and seeing how it turns out. (Didnít think Iíd ever utter a sentence beginning with ďIím looking forward to sewing ...Ē lol)

    I decided Dark Green just because I loved the eco and Treeleaf connotations and itís a beautiful color and couldnít see any definitive standard of meaning online. Plus, Shingen approved the fabric and thread colors privately.

    Gassho
    Kevin
    #SAT




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looking forward to sewing with you all. =)

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Say/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    ...*now realizing that I wore a brown rakusu inside SFZC*... O_O

    Gassho

    Sat today, lah
    Haha yes and I wore a green one! When we were outside taking our picture on the steps, I had my coat on I think, and one of them ran up to adjust my Rakusu to make sure it was over top. I figured that putting it underneath coat edges must be a Zen faux pas.

    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Haha yes and I wore a green one! When we were outside taking our picture on the steps, I had my coat on I think, and one of them ran up to adjust my Rakusu to make sure it was over top. I figured that putting it underneath coat edges must be a Zen faux pas.

    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Oh, I am sure that nobody there cared for just a visit! However, if somebody was training or visiting there longer, well, when in Rome wear what the Romans wear (no green togas!)

    In Europe, for Deshimaru Lineage folks, I heard that "only teachers have rings on their Rakusu."

    NONE of this is the rule in Japan. Just stuff that people come up with.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  34. #34
    I was given a Chinese style kesa many years ago, but I'm left-handed so it's a pain in the butt. In general, practice wear is whatever I have on at the time. Today, I recite the nembutsu in a Deadpool t-shirt.

    ST
    Rod

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev R View Post
    I was given a Chinese style kesa many years ago, but I'm left-handed so it's a pain in the butt. In general, practice wear is whatever I have on at the time. Today, I recite the nembutsu in a Deadpool t-shirt.

    ST
    Rod
    Rakusu would be very easy to put on with one hand.

    Maezumi Roshi's brother (Junyu Kuroda Roshi) puts on his priest robes each day, eats Oryoki (I had the privilege once of sitting next to him at his temple, with Maezumi Roshi, for a meal), is a calligrapher, and he lost all his fingers on both hands in a fire many years ago. I am sure that he also asks for help when he needs. That's him below ...

    I was severely burned twenty-six-or-seven years ago and lost all ten fingers. I have only the back of my right hand left. I cut lines in it to make it look like a hand. Half of my body suffered third degree burns. So it was a kind of miracle that I could survive. Yet I went to Mt. Godai in China with my both hands swathed in bandages. It is very inconvenient to live without ten fingers. It is particularly agonizing to be fed by someone at every meal. It is also agonizing to be attended to all my personal needs. ... Bodhidharma had several disciples. Eka was one of them. There is a famous story of him cutting off his arm at the elbow. On a snowy day, Eka cut off his arm and offered it to Bodhidharma, asking, "Please show me the truth. Please pacify my mind." Bodhidharma said, "If your mind is not at peace and ease, then bring that mind to me." Eka meditated deeply on these words and answered, "I can't find it." Bodhidharma said, "That's it! That is a peaceful mind."
    And a Koan: What is the Kesa one puts on with no hands?

    Gassho, J

    STLah


    delete hojo2.png

    PS - Who gave you your Kesa? It should not just be worn.
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-23-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  36. #36
    The Atlanta Shambala Center held a memorial service for my brother, and I attended in my full robes, the first time I've worn them in four years, since we moved away from our sangha. It felt very comforting to me, in an intimately familiar, right-brained, subconscious sort of way; as if the cloth had somehow retained a faint echo of my teacher and sangha's embrace. It imparted to me a measure of peace.
    Wonderous is the robe of liberation,
    A treasure beyond form and emptiness.
    Wearing it I will unfold the Buddha's teachings,
    For the benefit of all sentient beings.


    Deep bows to all undertaking jukai in the coming season.

    Sat today.
    May all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind
    quickly be freed from their illnesses.
    May those frightened cease to be afraid
    and may those bound be free.
    May the powerless find power
    and may people think of befriending one another.

  37. #37
    Wonderful, as to the robe, Emmet; metta to you and may your brother's path shine a light on yours. _()_

    gassho doyu sat and lah today
    特別な人ではない

  38. #38
    Thank you Emmet, and metta for all

    Gassho
    Washin
    st/lah
    Kaido (有道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything what I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Maezumi Roshi's brother (Junyu Kuroda Roshi)...
    My comment was pretty damn ableist. I am sorry, gang.

    PS - Who gave you your Kesa? It should not just be worn.
    Our old pal Junpei. I don’t know if you remember him or not.

    ST
    Rod

  40. #40
    Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Here is an English haiku I wrote about robes:

    Buddha's robe
    around my neck-
    Littmann stethoscope



    Nine bows,
    Chishou
    Sat
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Chishou View Post
    Here is an English haiku I wrote about robes:

    Buddha's robe
    around my neck-
    Littmann stethoscope



    Nine bows,
    Chishou
    Sat
    As a former Wearer of the Littmann, I like that very much.
    May all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind
    quickly be freed from their illnesses.
    May those frightened cease to be afraid
    and may those bound be free.
    May the powerless find power
    and may people think of befriending one another.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by gilles View Post
    no robe or kilt 4 me

    Peace
    Gilles
    Actually a kilt is quite nice when sitting seiza on the zabuton

    Gassh
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

    I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

  44. #44
    Member Getchi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Between Sea and Sky, Australia.
    Can a kesa put on with no hands ever be discarded?


    Gassho,
    Geoff.

    SatToday
    LaH.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Myogan View Post
    Actually a kilt is quite nice when sitting seiza on the zabuton

    Gassh
    Sat
    Yes, but just be careful about those Yoga poses in your kilt ...



    maxresdefault.jpg

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  46. #46



    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

  47. #47
    My eyes! My God, my eyes ...

    Though it does raise a question: could one use a clan tartan as material for a Rakusu or would that be inappropriate?

    Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    My eyes! My God, my eyes ...

    Though it does raise a question: could one use a clan tartan as material for a Rakusu or would that be inappropriate?

    Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat
    No, no tartan. Not for a first Rakusu anyway.

    However, maybe somewhere down the road.

    They are not the plain "Nyoho-e" style that we sew, but in Japan, big Roshis can sometimes wear some rather fancy Rakusu (but you have to wait until you are a big fancy Roshi) :-)







    (Why does the top one remind me of my late, beloved, grandmother's sofa? Hummm. I recall the plastic slip covers fondly. )

    I have seen a few, primarily American, Zen teachers get a little creative with the Rakusu ... like a blue jeans Rakusu and one Snoopy Rakusu I recall. However, please wait for now.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-01-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  49. #49
    So tempted to make a Kesa with Tartan Panels now!

    Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

    I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    No, no tartan. Not for a first Rakusu anyway.
    Of course Jundo. I'm still working my way up to "noob" so I'll definitely stick to the basics. I'm going dark blue for my first Rakusu. I can only imagine the PM conversation with Shingen if I asked to use tartan for the Rakusu ... I think his head might explode lol.

    Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •