Thread: Boundless Reality

Boundless Reality

This is a long post. I hope it might encourage others who are going through difficult times and whose practice might appear to have suffered.

After 8 years together and 3 years of marriage, my wife and I agreed to separate three weeks ago. You could say there was a mutual acceptance that our relationship has become unhealthy and codependent. Neither of us were happy. The future remains uncertain.

When my mind is calm, I can see the suffering we inadvertently caused one another and mixed in with the grief and loss are feelings of guilt, shame, and a deep sense of inadequacy. She has shared similar feelings since the separation.

These difficult feelings have also affected my practice. I've avoided zazen to prioritise activities that distract me from anxiety and anger. This then feeds into the cycle of guilt and perceived inadequacy and prevents me from facing the things I probably need to confront.

Zen practice is helping me to realise that all these things being experienced (and avoided) are expressions of boundless reality. If I consciously avoid zazen, this is the reality of "I" consciously avoiding zazen. When I know that I'm avoiding my commitments and this avoidance is feeding into a cycle of perceived inadequacy, I accept that it is just so.

This isn't acceptance in the traditional sense. It certainly isn't that I feel okay about the current situation or that I plan to lie back and let things fall apart. I just experience the boundlessness of reality, beyond okay and not-okay. I experience its wholeness, which I now realise is infinite. Then I try to do whatever seems best, moment by moment.

There aren't enough bows in the world to convey my gratitude to all those who practice and teach Buddha Dharma. Nevertheless, deep bows to you all.

Gassho,
    Enjaku,
    Sitting non-sitting
    援若

Your mind is noisy. Go sit. Then sit some more.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Much Metta to you and your wife, friend Enjaku.

It is easiest to sit in the clear days of life, but this Practice is for both clear and stormy times. I don't want you to add to your guilt that it is hard to sit sometimes on stormy days. Sit when you get your sealegs in the storm, and when not there yet just tie yourself to the mast and hold on. But now that you can sit, just sit.

Someone once asked me if Zazen would tell them whether to stay or leave their spouse. I said that all it would tell them was that, if staying, just be there ... and if leaving, just be there.

Perhaps in the quiet and stillness of sitting, there is a little space to listen to what your heart truly feels and wants, which can help one in the decision. But there are rarely if ever any "totally right" answers in these situations, and good and bad no matter which way one goes. Just try to do what seems best, moment by moment.

However, whichever way this finally goes, your friends are with you Enjaku.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-14-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Hello Enjaku,

I am sorry to hear this, much metta to you. I have been there and it is hard, the mind and heart can be heavy ... but give yourself time, listen to your heart and just sit with it all. Sometimes when we sit the sun warms our face, other times the clouds leave us in the shadows - either way, the sun is always there shinning.

Be well and know that we are always here whenever you need.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

About 15 years ago, my wife confronted me about my reckless spending by saying in screams, "You are stealing from your family!" I responded by moving into our basement, pouting, closing out my meager bank account, not thinking that the $800 a month disability I received might not be enough to live on. In a week of putting myself and her through hell, I conceded she was right, and I actually knelt before her and begged forgiveness. Well in the back of my mind somewhere I knew about sitting, but I felt paralyzed. My spending did not stop until 5 years ago, and on my own, with what I knew, and having faced death three times and experiencing level 10 pain, I on my own, I began to sit and become responsible. Now maybe there is no correlation, but today I receive an allowance from her, and the remainder of my Social Security, I'm 65, goes to bills. She lets me have a little bank account, and one credit card. To admit I'm greedy is an understatement! I asked her once if she loved me, and she turned to the wall and said, "I'm here aren't I" The point is I was very wrong, and today I sit almost every day and I'm still wrong because I fight greed, ignorance, and anger, but I AM BETTER, and I sit. I have people I sit with and I sit alone. When I almost died, sitting helped though it was not exactly what is Zen, but sitting is.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho _/|\_
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Joyo
    Enjaku, I am so sorry to hear of the struggles you and your wife are facing. I wish both of you well, no matter what happens. Just keep sitting and doing what you can. Don't be too hard on yourself. The practice is always there with you, through the storms and sunshine of life.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Practice is always right here.

With Metta to all,

Shugen

Sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Sitting with you, Enjaku.

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

#Sattoday

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

I'm sorry to read this, Enjaku. Much Metta to you and your wife. Just remember your Practice is always here, and so are we

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

I am sorry to read this. Keep doing what you're doing. You'll be okay. Metta and gassho.

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjaku View Post
    These difficult feelings have also affected my practice. I've avoided zazen to prioritise activities that distract me from anxiety and anger. This then feeds into the cycle of guilt and perceived inadequacy and prevents me from facing the things I probably need to confront.
    Hi Enjaku,

I think a lot of us understand what you say. But I honestly don't see how all this has "affected" your practice. Your life IS practice, even the hardships and the things we don't like.

We sit with what is, even if we don't actually sit. Still that is our practice and sit with it all. Goodbyes are just situations we can learn a lot from.

You are here. You are fine. You are us.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Sitting with you here too... and constantly experiencing cycles of distraction/running away from practice, then returning... we are together in both. Metta to you and your wife. May you be at peace, embracing all conditions of life.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Enjaku:

Metta to you and your wife.....I will sit with you in mind tonight. As others have pointed out, life *is* practice, and there are lessons in everything we experience. If Zen were only for the good times, it wouldn't be much good, now would it? I myself have had some crazy times lately, with more frustration than peace....but in all the frustration, there are always moments of calm. In those moments, don't think about the shame and guilt that you feel -- see it, acknowledge it, and let it go. You are taking actions to fix your situation even by recognizing what you want to change. You and your wife have seen what you need to change, and you are freeing yourselves from those things.....it's not an end, but a beginning. You never know....maybe after you both heal, things may change again.

Don't beat yourself up. Allow yourself to live the moments of peace, whether sitting or doing more "moving meditation". Live your practice by just seeing the moments as they are.

Above all, know that the dharma and the sangha are always here.

Gassho--

--JimH (SatToday!)

You're not alone, Enjaku. My wife and I have been separated for over a year, and things are really starting to come to a head now. I feel like I've been lashed to the mast for the last 10 years, but I've probably actually been the storm. Or maybe those are not-two.
    Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your struggle. I'm sorry you have to feel that pain, but I feel a little less alone knowing it's not just me.

Gassho, Zenmei

Just sending lots of love and Metta to all those feeling relationship stress

And a warm hug for not giving up!

Geoff.
    SAtToday
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Just sending lots of love and Metta to all those feeling relationship stress

And a warm hug for not giving up!

Geoff.
    SAtToday
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Thank you, Enjaku. Your post so resonated with me (been there about 8 years ago..)
    Sitting for you and much metta to you and your wife. May you all be well.

Gassho
    Washin
    st

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your warm, compassionate messages. There's so much wisdom in this Sangha. I'm particularly grateful for the reminder that things don't stay the same. I'm also grateful for the reassurance that it's okay for sitting to be too difficult sometimes. Above all, I'm grateful to feel part of this Sangha. Your support and friendship means a great deal to me.

Deep bows,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

With all my heart, big huge for you and your wife, Gassho.

Sat today

When you sit you become more aware of your thoughts and feeling s. This awareness allows them to transform.

SAT today

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Boundless Reality

Enjaku,

Your post struck home as well. My wife of 11 years and I were just separated for about 2 months. I was sure that it was going to end in divorce. I learned not to be sure about things so often. We reconciled 3 weeks ago and things have never been better. Sometimes that space is exactly what's needed to remember what it is that you liked so much about each other to begin with. Metta to you and your wife. Be well.

Christofer

Sat today

Hi Christofer,

Your message made me smile - I'm happy to hear you found a way to work things out.
    I'm trying to maintain an open mind. There are many confusing and conflicting thoughts and feelings.
    Hopefully your experience of separation will remind you both to really treasure one another.

Gassho,
    Enjaku,
    Sat
    援若

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Christofer View Post
    Enjaku,

Your post struck home as well. My wife of 11 years and I were just separated for about 2 months. I was sure that it was going to end in divorce. I learned not to be sure about things so often. We reconciled 3 weeks ago and things have never been better. Sometimes that space is exactly what's needed to remember what it is that you liked so much about each other to begin with. Metta to you and your wife. Be well.

Christofer

Sat today

I am happy to hear you two have worked things out ... This shows good character and love for one another. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today