Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRELIMINARY PLANNING: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA WEST (August 2017)

PRELIMINARY PLANNING: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA WEST (August 2017)

Dear All,

Well, the end of July and most of August of this year (2017) will be very eventful for our community! For those of our members in Western North America, we are trying to bring a little Treeleaf to you!

We are holding a "DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA 2017". exact dates to be determined, and two of us (Jundo and his 14 year old son, Leon) will be following the Amtrak far and wide from Chicago to Texas to California to (hopefully) the Rockies to the Great Northwest and points between ... getting to know and bringing a little Retreat to our members along the way

This is a continuation of our trip in 2014 to points east of the Mississippi (LINK) (and, yes, I hope that the next trip will be in Europe maybe next year!)

In the meantime, I NEED YOUR HELP if you are anywhere in driving distance of this map of AMTRAK train routes. If you feel that you could host us for a day or so, just us privately or maybe would be able to organize a public Zazenkai in your community or in contact with other local Zen groups, please post in this thread and/or email me at jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com. Please indicate general times of availability as far as you know now. I apologize that I do not have the exact travel schedule firm yet, but I will do so within a few weeks as I see who is interested in a visit. Trip will likely start in Chicago, rail down to Texas, then California, detour to Rockies, then finish in Northwest.

A more detailed map is here: (PDF LINK)

I plan to hold a small Zazenkai (to be netcast where possible, just like the ones we hold here at Treeleaf each week) with all the people we meet ... right from their living rooms! or other place they arrange. Other than that, the only plan is to "hang out", nothing fancy, sit on the porch and get to know each other, share some time. We welcome a place to sleep on a fold out bed or the floor. A healthy home cooked meal is appreciated.

The Buddha walked barefoot hundreds of miles across northern India. In the old days, Zen folks wandered from temple to temple looking like this ...

My boy and I will pretty much be a t-shirt clad father and son with a couple of backpacks and a tired look from 15 hour train trips!

(One other reason I am making this trip with my son is that Leon does not know America very much, so this is a chance to show him some of that part of his culture at the same time. I am hoping to show him some American history, life and nature along the way ... especially as he is going to have to be stuck tagging along with his dad for a few weeks! I am hoping that, on the way to visit our Treeleaf members, I can show him some of that.)

This is another great experiment for this "Sangha beyond here or there" with many people who due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, cannot attend a Sitting easily, as we see if the Sangha & Sittings can come to them! I cannot promise to visit everyone with interest, but I will try to cover as much territory as I can.

My son and I would very much look forward to meeting so many of you, sharing some time and sitting Zazen together!

Whistlestop & Sit Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-09-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Choo Choo All aboard!!! Very exciting ... I am looking forward to seeing you both. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

If you wish contact me. There is a station in Libby MT. I live about four hours from there. I could show the Montana Rookies and a jaunt or two around my temple (The continental divide) week if you have time.

Gassho
    拡手

Sattoday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Jundo, I know the trains run north and south of Sioux Falls, SD. Maybe there might be a possibility there. Please let me know?
    std
    Tai Shi
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 02-24-2017 at 06:44 AM. Reason: To understand what the heart means, where I placed my hat!
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Wow, if you do take the southern Amtrak route through Texas you guys will pass three blocks from our house. No it does not stop, but it does have an official stop in Alpine TX just 20 miles away. Hope you can plan on getting off. Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mts and Big Bend National Parks as well as the Mc Donald Observatory are day trips from Marfa. Also have extra bed rooms and large front porch.

Please keep in contact with us as your plans develop.

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

It would be our pleasure to host you in Rochester, MN, home of the Mayo Clinic, should you choose to take the Empire Builder northwest from Chicago. We could retrieve you from Winona, Red Wing, or Minneapolis. We have guest rooms for both of you. There is a small meditation center here in town, and actual Zen centers in Minneapolis. Meals are whole-food, plant-based, delicious, and plentiful. We have excellent opportunities nearby to explore the outdoors.

Gassho
    Joseph

#sattoday

I am 60 miles east of Omaha Ne where there is an Amtrak station. There is also the Nebraska Zen Center, Dosho Port, Abbot and Honey Locust Sangha (Thich Nhat Hahn tradition) in Omaha. I would be happy to have you stay in my home. It is in a very small town called Earling, IA. I also do vegetarian. Bet you could stay at the NZC too, if you wanted a larger berg. Either way, I'll provide transportation.

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

I live a short drive North of the Portland Or. / Vancouver Wa. metro area. The main Amtrak line stops in both cities. I am self employed so flexible with schedule you would be welcome here anytime.
    We also have plenty of room at our property to host if you wanted to do a meetup with others close by. Be happy to help anyway I can.
    Happy and safe travels. Gassho.
    Hogo.

Sat today.

Edit: P.S. In case you have not worked it into you plans and are interested your timing to be here in the west may coincide with the eclipse on Aug 21st. Its path will be just to the south of us and we are going to a viewing party hosted by a local science museum, we have extra tickets if you are in the area.

http://www.space.com/33797-total-sol...017-guide.html
    Last edited by Hogo; 02-23-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Well, I don't know where I'll be living at that time, but I will be in San Diego county. Maybe can host depending on my situation. If you plan to be anywhere near or South of LA, I would love to sit with you!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Leon is 14 already?!!!!! Holy cow.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

So cool! We are very close to Amtrak Denver. Would love to have you here in the Rockies. Short drives to some great mountain sites, home cookin' and such at the Clang home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

PS pretty flexible on times

SatToday

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

If you pass by Omaha I am available. Safe travels!
    Gassho
    Matt
    #SatToday

Kyotai
    That is great. Doesn't look like I will be on the route but I wish you best in travels and look forward to the updates

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Awesome! Are you coming through the San Francisco Bay Area?

Gassho,
    Hoko
    #SatToday
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

I was hoping someone was going to speak up from SF, otherwise I was going to have to offer to fly out there myself (Maybe I will anyway and join you all, LOL)

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Jundo:
    I plan to meet you in Chicago. Please let me know the dates as soon as you know. Doreen's brother is coming from Florida for a family gathering and I'm not supposed to miss it

gassho, sattoday
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I live in the mountains of SW New Mexico. I believe Amtrack goes through El Paso, Las Cruces and Deming. I know you have a connection with Daiho in Las Cruces but if you want to spend time in the mountains on a ranch you are welcome here. There are Cliff Dwellings a few hours drive away via winding roads hrough the Gila National Forest.Any sangha members wanting to come are welcome...we have a few beds and definitely camping sites

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday

Ansan
    We are west of Phoenix. If you are willing to spend sometime in the desert, we can pick you both up. Our house is rudimentary (no running water) but we live in the wild west where civilization is several miles away. Just 360 degrees of mountains. August & September are hot months but the nights are cool & the sky is spectacular. IOW, we would be so delighted to meet you & your son, whether you can join us in the desert or not.

Gassho
    Ansan

SatToday

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It doesn't look like you will be near the Texas panhandle. Otherwise you could stay a month.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    It doesn't look like you will be near the Texas panhandle. Otherwise you could stay a month.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Not to invite myself over, but on the last trip I did rent a car a couple of places to add some range. So, maybe something is possible. The difficulty is mostly fitting everybody in who was willing, and limitations on time.

Only a month!?

Gassho, J

SatToday

deletecowboybuddha.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-23-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Not to invite myself over, but on the last trip I did rent a car a couple of places to add some range. So, maybe something is possible. The difficulty is mostly fitting everybody in who was willing, and limitations on time.

Only a month!?

Gassho, J

SatToday
    I live in Lubbock, Texas and have to work here during the week. During the weekends I can drive to a little cabin we have in Ruidoso, NM. Lubbock has lots of cotton farms but the city itself has about 250K folks and Texas Tech University. We have a pool in Lubbock that we can do Zazenkai in during the summer. House may smell like animals though. :-) Ruidoso has a few trees. That is in New Mexico. Love to have you. Stay as long as you want. Please come if you can.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

You will be driving right through my hood. I would love a visit.

Gassho,
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

I am very happy for this year's Dharma Tracks adventure.

If things go well with US-Mexico relationships, I may be able to join Jundo at some point.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all for your kind invitations.

In the coming few weeks, I am going to get out my ruler and train timetable and play a great game of trying to connect all the road and rail lines so that this will work somehow. Oh boy! American is a big place!

I look forward to meeting so many old friends.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Joyo
    This is wonderful, Jundo. May you and your son have happy and safe travels. Sounds like you will be quite far away from the prairies in Saskatchewan. Perhaps you should save that trip for the winter when temperatures can dip down to -30 C =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I vow to someday cross Canada coast-to-coast.

Gassho, J

SatToday

I live about 2.5 hours from Little Rock, AR. I'd be more than happy to put you guys up for a while, and I could possibly help arrange a public zazenkai. There aren't a whole lot of practicing zen folks that I know of, but I'm pretty sure we could get enough curious individuals to make it worth the effort.

Gassho, Zenmei
    #sat

Jundo,

How exciting! I'm near enough to Los Angeles Union Station, and a couple other stops on different lines.

There are many groups in LA, if we wanted to try to visit.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    sattoday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think LA might be a good place for us Southern Californians to meet Jundo and each other!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

hmmm LA sounds good to meet with other Treeleafers

Crossing fingers...

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Seems like an awesome plan. If there is anything that I can do to help from good old Georgia, let me know.

_/\_
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I think LA might be a good place for us Southern Californians to meet Jundo and each other!

Gassho, sat today
    I think so ... Maybe I can see if I can make my way down there too. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Been meaning to say this for a while but it sounds like a great adventure and maybe at a time when folks need some spiritual support and guidance.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Jundo,
    AMTRAK comes to Portland, Oregon. I live about 5 miles from the Portland Train Station. I would love to host you and your son. I have a couple army cots, and a futon you can sleep on. Jeanne is a pretty good cook. If you want I could touch base with our local Zen Centers to see if they would like to do a zazenkai, etc, during your visit to the Northwest.

Gassho
    Theophan (Sekishi)
    Sat Today

Jundo,

We live in Albuquerque, NM...whistle stop for Amtrak! It goes from here to California with numerous stops along the way.
    I believe you and your son would be very comfortable in our guest quarters. And I have a small zendo as part of my artists studio. My husband and I would be most honored to host you and your son for as long as you'd like to stay.
    We also have a small cabin in the mountains of northern NM should you want to enjoy a beautiful mountain experience as part of your journey.

Thank you for your commitment to our community!
    Anne
    ~st~

Jundo,
    I live in an Indiana suburb of Chicago and often travel to the O'hare area and would be pleased to assist you if you desire.
    My home is at your disposal and is an easy drive to Union station to Chicago

At the very least if your son or you want to do anything special in Chicago, let me know so I can work it out ahead of time for you.

Gassho
    Marc C.
    Sat
    Last edited by Myogan; 03-06-2017 at 03:40 AM.
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

I just want to say "thank you" to so many folks here and those who have written. I am playing "connect the dots" now and hope to be in touch in the coming couple of weeks or so to see what can be arranged, and to express my thanks again personally.

A lot of logistics involved here ... trains, planes and automobiles ... but I will try to make this work. It will not be possible to get everywhere and for everyone, but I am doing my best for those who have so graciously expressed interest and offered their time and sofas. A Star Trek transporter would be very handy.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-06-2017 at 04:14 AM.

I live about on hour north of Denver. Perhaps Banto and I could coordinate. Although I'm not sure on timing. My wife and I are either going to be traveling or expecting family some time in August.

Gassho,
    Seido
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Seido indeed we can coordinate a possible Colorado connection. If helpful, any are welcome over to our house to meet up with Jundo and also since we live pretty close to Denver I can drive Jundo/Leon to front range sites.

I think this is so amazingly cool that even the prospect of it is most delightful.
    Gassho to our teacher willing to do this for us
    Banto SatToday

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

BUMP & UPDATE (as of 3/29)

Hey Guys,

I just want to bump this thread, and also update the likely itinerary. I so appreciate all the kind folks who have offered to open their doors or meet in some way along the route. (I am also so sorry that geography and routes will not let me get to a few places. There are a few places I very much wanted to visit but cannot string it together. ) I will be in touch with folks personally in the coming days to see if things are still possible and to firm up dates. As of now, it will go something like this, exact dates to be determined talking with folks, stretching through August in sequential order, folks later on the list would have to come later in the month.

HOBART INDIANA (July 28th)

to

Chicago

to

OMAHA NEBRASKA

to

DENVER COLORADO

to

SALT LAKE CITY/OGDEN UTAH

to

SAN FRANCISCO CA (arrive Emeryville Sta.)

At this point, rent a car and drive up and down California. Likely route:

to 

Eureka CA (NOTE: I was hoping to get up to Oregon and Washington state, west Canada, and right now it is looking hard due to time and distance. I am still trying to consider how. My son has limited time until school begins, and that is my only issue.)

to

Santa Cruz CA

to

Los Angeles CA

to

(Possibly) San Diego CA

to

LOS ANGELES CA (back on the train!)

to

MARICOPA ARIZONA (nearest station to Phoenix)

to

DEMING NEW MEXICO (nearest station to Los Cruces, possible visit to Ruldoso)

to

ALPINE TEXAS (possible visit to Lubbock)

to

AUSTIN TEXAS

to

DALLAS or HOUSTON TEXAS (likely finish late August)

I will be writing to thank and firm things up with folks, and also to thank those I cannot visit this time.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-05-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Mp
    Looking good, thanks for the update Jundo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Jundo;
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully your start date in Chicago is before the 9th of August.

gassho, Shokai

sat today (in Pensacola)
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Eagerly looking forward to meet with you and Leon!

Wishing you all the best on these travels.

Gassho,
    Matt
    #SatToday

What a great trip! I'm excited to meet with you both.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

If you do make it up to Washington state, I'd be delighted to show you and Leon around Seattle for half a day--or just meet for tea or coffee with you both. Good luck with the planning! Sounds like a whirlwind tour!

Gassho,
    M.C.
    SatToday

HOBART INDIANA (July 28th)
    to
    CHICAGO
    to
    OMAHA NEBRASKA
    to
    DENVER COLORADO
    to
    SALT LAKE CITY/OGDEN UTAH
    to
    SAN FRANCISCO CA (arrive Emeryville Sta.)
    At this point, rent a car and drive up and down California. Likely route:
    to
    Eureka CA (NOTE: I was hoping to get up to Oregon and Washington state, west Canada, and right now it is looking hard due to time and distance. I am still trying to consider how. My son has limited time until school begins, and that is my only issue.)
    to
    Santa Cruz CA
    to
    Los Angeles CA
    to
    (Possibly) San Diego CA
    to
    LOS ANGELES CA (back on the train!)
    to
    MARICOPA ARIZONA (nearest station to Phoenix)
    to
    DEMING NEW MEXICO (nearest station to Los Cruces, possible visit to Ruldoso)
    to
    ALPINE TEXAS (possible visit to Lubbock)
    to
    AUSTIN TEXAS
    to
    DALLAS or HOUSTON TEXAS (likely finish late August)
    Gradually contacting all the folks at the above stops, juggling train schedules and plane fares, passport renewals and car rentals, AirBB and all the fun ...

... I was longing for a bit for the freedom of ancient Zen monks, wandering freely in pilgrimage, not a care in the world.

Then I read this on the realities of the past.

Once a monk [in Song Dynasty China] had managed to obtain his proper certificates, he had to make sure that he had them on hand any time he traveled. In fact, even before he set out on a trip, he had to submit a detailed travel plan to the local authorities, along with letters of recommendation attesting to his good character. If the local authorities judged his paperwork to be in order, he would be issued a travel permit for that very specific trajectory, a trip that had to be accomplished in a set amount of time. If he traveled without such papers, or if he took too long a time on the road, he risked being arrested, caned, and defrocked. Even abbots had to travel with this kind of paperwork in hand. Here, the state’s goal was to minimize movement of the clergy and to keep very close tabs on their whereabouts at all times. Obviously, once one realizes how this kind of state-control impinged on all monks and their basic freedoms, one has to rethink stock images in Song literature of the carefree monk who floated, from monastery to monastery, like a drifting cloud. Against that fantasy we have to see that to be a Buddhist monk, whether one was involved with Chan ideas or not, was to know and abide by a very clear set of state-given rules and regulations. To do otherwise was to put one’s clerical career in jeopardy, while also potentially threatening one’s superiors as well, since, in good Chinese fashion, they would be held responsible for the ethical lapses.
    https://www.amazon.com/Patriarchs-Pa...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    Not to mention that the roads were filled with bandits, tigers, storms and all the rest.

I suppose I have it easy.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-05-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Obviously, once one realizes how this kind of state-control impinged on all monks and their basic freedoms, one has to rethink stock images in Song literature of the carefree monk who floated, from monastery to monastery, like a drifting cloud.
    Gassho, J
    Maybe that's what influenced all the ritual that is added to basic Zazen.

I would be interested in the Maricopa Az meetup. I realize my complicated family life precludes me from participating live in zazenkai's very often but I do very much feel like this Sangha is my spiritual home so to speak.

Paul
    Gassho
    Sat today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by treebeard; 04-04-2017 at 03:39 AM.
    Paul

Gassho,
    sat today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast