Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zazen and earworms

I just came across this blog entry by Hyon Gak Sunim (itinerant Korean-school Zen monk) that touches on earworms. Relevant bit starts a few paragraphs down (starting And it is not just limited), but the whole entry is interesting.

http://cloud-path.tumblr.com/post/15...rms-of-reading

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    I just came across this blog entry by Hyon Gak Sunim (itinerant Korean-school Zen monk) that touches on earworms. Relevant bit starts a few paragraphs down (starting And it is not just limited), but the whole entry is interesting.

http://cloud-path.tumblr.com/post/15...rms-of-reading

-satToday
    Wow this is actually a great read in general, thank you!
    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thanks you. I like Hyon Gak.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

This is why I joined. To get help with these kinds of problems. I hear one-liners from Futurama, lil' diddies in my head, and repetitious memories of arguments. What I learned from playing a song over and over is my mood is...

It can be 'different' depending on the song.
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Beakon View Post
    I hear one-liners from Futurama.
    Ah, yes. Bender Buddha ...

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo, thankyou; now that image keeps floating up!

Kaishin, excellant blog post, i just re-read it three times and then caught myself with a laugh. I will endeavour to put down the menu.

Jishin; Oki is one of my personal favs, the kids arent so fussed though so i wait till they are at school

And to my ear-worms; thankyou for reminding me that im still human, and for the very direct experience of my ordinary mind!

Gassho,
    Geoff.

SAtToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

This blog post is fun but isn't it missing the point ? I mean, the guy is avoiding listening to music because it would stain his oh so pure meditation ; i thought that in zen we didn't avoid nor cling to anything. Music playing in your head is not a problem when in zazen !

Gassho,

Uggy,
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Ugrok View Post
    This blog post is fun but isn't it missing the point ? I mean, the guy is avoiding listening to music because it would stain his oh so pure meditation ; i thought that in zen we didn't avoid nor cling to anything. Music playing in your head is not a problem when in zazen !

Gassho,

Uggy,
    Sat Today
    Hi Uggy,

Hyon Gak Sunim is from a Korean Rinzai, Koan Introspection style. So, a different way from Shikantaza.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Ah, yes. Bender Buddha ...

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Namo Benderya Buddhasa

Namo Benderya Buddhasa

Namo Benderya Buddhasa

So, is there a thread about the differences between Rinzai and Soto Zen? It must be a tall order to explain to Westerners.
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

I really don't think the point of the post was to instruct an avoidance of music. I really think it is simply a matter of how and why Hyon Gak feels about it. It disrupts his personal style, and that is up to him.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I personally feel its also a demonstration of dependant arising.

The memory itself is unavoidable, the circumstances of its advising leads to our discrimination; good or bad?

None of this is seperate, none is under our control.

Since we canno t even possession our own minds, why get upset by it?

This IMO is why shikantaza is first among st equals for mediation.

None of this is anything other then an opinion, I've travel led from ThaiForest tradition to here via vajrayuga and by far its the hardest method for me due to boredom and wandering mind while Sitting.

I'm much more fulfill ed learning Do gen method.

Gassho Jundo
    For give my misunderstanding s

Ge off
    Sat today.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I really don't think the point of the post was to instruct an avoidance of music. I really think it is simply a matter of how and why Hyon Gak feels about it. It disrupts his personal style, and that is up to him.

Gassho, sat today
    +1
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Hi!
    I have a way of "getting rid" of earworms that's never failed me. Supposedly we can't get rid of earworms because they're repetitive and our brains love repetition. We don't let it go because we're waiting for closure, an ending. If you know the ending to a tune/song/earworm, hear that in your mind. End it, give it closure, and the earworm is finished. Even if you don't know how a song or tune is supposed to end and you have the chorus going around in your mind, come to the end of the verse, then imagine some ending; a chord, a few words, fading volume, whatever it takes to end it.
    Goodbye earworm, hello non-thinking :-)

Gassho,
    Mike
    Last edited by Screature; 04-19-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Couldn't resist...
    Gassho,
    Hōkō
    #SatToday
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Ooookay,
    this old one scrolled through my g+ stream prior to sitting :-( ;-)

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Ooookay,

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.
    Hahahaha I knew what that was without even playing it. Yep stuck in my head already.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Ooookay,

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.
    This will make a quite awesome earworm! Thank you!

Gassho,
    SatToay
    Billy

I have been living with an earworm for days. While I have them from time to time, and they may persist for a day or two, this one just keeps going. It has been most noticeable, of course, when sitting. I am trying not to let it be bothersome to me, but it is trying for me. When sitting, I am able to let it go for a few seconds by coming to the now; I'm not sure whether to just let it play or to keep working on stopping it.

Something that I notice: turning the earworm off when sitting, even for a moment, is an effort. It is like putting my hand in a stream to block the flow of water. It works for a few seconds, then the water just finds its way around my hand and goes on, not caring that I am trying to stop it. I get the same results with simply coming back to the moment and the sensations around me, with focusing on my breath, and with counting breaths. I suppose I can just let it do its thing and in a few days it will go away. It's not quite at the PLEASE-SOMEBODY-MAKE-IT-STOP stage yet.

If anyone is interested, it is this song:

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.

Zazen and earworms

Hi,

Try loving your worm to death. Invite her in for tea and then lock the door. Tell her she can’t go. Tell her that you need her to stick around. Tell her that you are bored. Ask her to sing for you. Then will sing for her. Every time she begins to sneak out grab her and tell her no no no. Tell her you love her. At some point in time you won’t be able to keep an eye on her around the clock and she will jump out the window never to be seem again.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    I have been living with an earworm for days. While I have them from time to time, and they may persist for a day or two, this one just keeps going. It has been most noticeable, of course, when sitting. I am trying not to let it be bothersome to me, but it is trying for me. When sitting, I am able to let it go for a few seconds by coming to the now; I'm not sure whether to just let it play or to keep working on stopping it.

Something that I notice: turning the earworm off when sitting, even for a moment, is an effort. It is like putting my hand in a stream to block the flow of water. It works for a few seconds, then the water just finds its way around my hand and goes on, not caring that I am trying to stop it. I get the same results with simply coming back to the moment and the sensations around me, with focusing on my breath, and with counting breaths. I suppose I can just let it do its thing and in a few days it will go away. It's not quite at the PLEASE-SOMEBODY-MAKE-IT-STOP stage yet.

If anyone is interested, it is this song:

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.
    Oh great movie. We are going to see Hugh Jackman in NYC in June, I’m excited! I don’t invite my ear worms in, but I don’t chase them out, either. Sometimes the monkeys get annoyed but they are just monkeys
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

What’s the song?

Sat/lah

_/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

This happened to me just last night during zazenkai! It was a song I don't even particularly like lol. "Bartender"
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Lots of metal for me. Maybe a little too much Blind Guardian.

I usually let the full song play in my mind and then it fades away.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi,

Try loving your worm to death. Invite her in for tea and then lock the door. Tell her she can’t go. Tell her that you need her to stick around. Tell her that you are bored. Ask her to sing for you. Then will sing for her. Every time she begins to sneak out grab her and tell her no no no. Tell her you love her. At some point in time you won’t be able to keep an eye on her around the clock and she will jump out the window never to be seem again.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

This is actually really easy for my latest earworm.
    I recently taught my 3 year old son the theme song of my favourite (Aussie rules) football team. He sings it at random times (such as bed time) with such enthusiasm it plays on repeat for days, if not weeks in my head.
    Ask him to sing it and nearly every time get met with response of "not right now Daddy, maybe later".

Gassho

Kenshou

Sat today / LAH

Sent from my 5056I using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12