Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stories of Compassion and Kindness - GOJO BODHISATTVA

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    When a doctor realized Simon wasn't selling corn anymore, he went to his home and asked him. Simon told the story and the doctor begun organizing people to donate money to buy a new cart for Mr. Simon.

I helped spreading the word and donating with my sitting group and together we got the money to buy a new cart and a lot of other things that will make Mr. Simon and his wife lives easier.
    Recognizing that something might be wrong manifests Gojo.
    Organizing to help another being manifests Gojo.

Metta to Mr. Simon, his family, the doctor, the community, Kyonin, the robbers, and to all beings.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

互 - mutually;  reciprocally;  together
    助 - help;  rescue;  assist

Gojo is no-one. Gojo is everyone. Together we manifest the hands of the Bodhisattvas!

Please, bear witness and share reports of kindness and compassion in the world: gojo@treeleaf.org

Love your stories, Kyonin! They are so inspiring!

Mine today are smaller: donated to a client's walk for suicide prevention, and gave my daughter a driving lesson despite it being the end of a crazy Friday (oh how I want a cold brew now but I can't because of Zazenkai soon, lol)
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    "Today I'm going to make a difference."
    http://www.lunarbaboon.com/comics/difference.html

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Sometimes LAH is most difficult in ones own home. That moment I would have spoken in annoyance to my spouse about his cr*p getting out of control turned into, "would you like me to organize your paperwork for you?" Now I contemplate what I just signed myself up for...

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/about to lend a ✋️

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

I just posted this on Facebook but I wanted to share it here.
    Tried to make someone's day a little better with some Zen-ish perspective:

So after my post about working out & pushing 50 I see my friend Tom and walked over to say hello. Tom is 90+ and has been lifting nearly every day that I've been coming to this particular gym which is about 12 years now. I asked if I could take a selfie with him and he politely declined stating that he "needed more time to get back in shape". I told him I thought he looked great but he said he just hasn't been the same since his stroke a few years ago. 😨 He said "it ain't what it used to be!" So I told him "maybe, but it also is how it still is and here you are working out. The way I see it you're giving 100% now like you gave 100% then so there's no difference." He smiled and I told him "you're my gym hero, man!" and meant it.
    Nothing to gain, nothing to lose, no getting ahead, no falling behind, no better, no worse, no old, no young... Just this. Every day is a good day! Nichi nichi kore kōnichi. 🙏🙏🙏

The encounter seemed to make us both a little happier.

Gassho,
    Hoko
    #SatToday
    LAH
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Thus have I heard.

Recently I was having a really bad day at work, I finally left to go to lunch because I just had to leave and clear my head. I pulled up to the hamburger joint, and noticed people I refer to as bell-ringers soliciting donations for UNICEF. They were a couple storefronts down.

Something made me walk over to them, and sign up for a donation. At the end, they were over the top thankful, I'm sure it is the script they are given. But I told them it was me who was thankful, I'm sure it isn't easy to stand outside a store and have people try to avoid you for hours hoping to get a donation.

I was also thankful because they put my day in perspective. I had challenges and obstacles that needed to be faced, but so does everyone. We just have to keeping moving forward as best we can.
    Collecting alms is recommended by Buddhas of the past.
    Giving alms manifests Gojo.
    Recognizing the arising of aversion in the face of obstacles frees beings and manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Gojo is no-one. Gojo is everyone. Together we manifest the hands of the Bodhisattvas!

Please, bear witness and share reports of kindness and compassion in the world: gojo@treeleaf.org

Tonight I was catching up on the news on Reddit and was feeling more and more down about all the crummy stories I was reading. My son walked by and said "Anything good going on?" I started to make a snarky remark, and then thought, "well of course there is somewhere - I'm just getting a limited perspective".

So I popped over the the /r/upliftingnews subreddit, and sure enough, there was an amazing story about hundreds of people in Brazil showing up with buckets and shovels (and eventually heavy earthmoving equipment) to rescue a beached Humpback whale earlier this week:
    http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn...s-to-the-ocean

I did a quick search on Youtube, and of course there are videos:

Just listen to these joyous Bodhisattvas!:

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Yay! That's awesome! Thanks for the lift-up.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Thus have I heard.

Recently while at my son's school playground, we noticed a lot of trash along the walkways and near the play structure. As school begins in less then a month, we quickly went home, returning with a large garbage bag to pick up the trash. I explained to my son (6) that we could also go do the same at another school or park. I asked him why we were doing this. He said because we need to help the community.
    Making the world cleaner and safer manifests Gojo.
    Teaching our children manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

A friend in our local Sangha has been facing some pretty serious health issues and is currently in a hospital across the state (4 hours away). Erin (my wife) and I were lucky enough to visit him this week. He wanted to know all about what was going on in our lives, and was full of good advice on some big changes we are looking at in the coming year.

The simple offering of our presence was returned 10-fold with deep listening and sage advice from a dear friend.

Last night I went over to his house to help his wife with a few little chores. At some point we went up to their practice room, chanted the Takkesage, put on our rakusus and sat for a half hour or so.

Two people in a darkened room, sitting in silence with all that arises. I simply do not know of a saner response to the ups and downs of this world.

Each and every being you meet - Buddha.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    sekishi
    石志

_/\_
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Thank you for the videos, Sekishi. Made me cry. A lot.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yes thank you for these uplifting stories, they do make so much difference especially when all the headlines are so grim. Like Mr. Rogers said, "Look for the helpers!"

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Thus have I heard:

I called the cops to go check on my dad. He was home alone and had sent a message that he fell off a ladder. After him not calling back for over an hour we decided to have someone check on him.

Much Metta to the poor office who drove out just to find him sleeping.
    Caring for our families manifests Gojo.
    Caring for our fellow citizens manifests Gojo.
    Released from outcomes, right intention is the way.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

I'm not sure if this story is about compassion from me or too me, but probably both. The other night I stop to grab a hamburger for dinner. I was sitting at a table staring at my phone when an old woman walked up and asked if I was waiting for anyone. I said no, and she asked if she could sit down. Mind you, most of the tables were empty, so it was strange that she would decide to pick the seat with me.

She started to clean off the seat and got herself seated. I put down my phone and we started chatting. At first it was about her granddaughter and where she had been going today. Then it turned to life and happiness, taking good care of yourself and the importance of family.

We chatted for over an hour while we ate. I finally had to say goodbye because there were more errands to be run before it got dark. We said goodbye and wished each other a lovely evening. I didn't even get her name, nor her mine.

But the experience reminded me of the importance of just being open to people. Sometimes people just want someone to sit with so they aren't alone. And sometimes you don't realize how nice a conversation would be until you are in the middle of it.
    How wonderful is the gift with no attachment or expectation in the giving or receiving - the pivot point of giver, receiver, and gift!

Gassho.
    Last edited by Gojo; 09-29-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thanks for these, Gojo.

Gassho,
    Jika
    #sattoday, lah
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post206553

Wonderful story. Thank you.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

I'll be honest, I have been rushing around a lot of lately. Too much work, not enough time..... the same old story.

As usual I was rushing to buy lunch and head right back to the office and eat at my desk. Just as I was reaching the parking lot an elderly woman waved me down. "Can you help me?" I figured she wanted to know where something was, and it would be a quick answer.

She proceeds to pull out a phone and says, "I just got this and I can't figure out how to make a call. Do you know how to work it?" For a moment I felt the "tick tick tick" feeling of time passing that I couldn't get back. But it was only a second before I just wanted to hug her and sit down and teach her how to use it. Unfortunately I didn't have the time for that much teaching, but I was able to show her how to turn it on, where the icon was for dialing the phone and helped her place the call she needed to.

At the end she said the most lovely thing to me,

You have blessed me
    So may I bless you
    May you blessed
    no matter your needs
    I smiled, wished her luck with the phone and a lovely afternoon.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    I'll be honest, I have been rushing around a lot of lately. Too much work, not enough time..... the same old story.

As usual I was rushing to buy lunch and head right back to the office and eat at my desk. Just as I was reaching the parking lot an elderly woman waved me down. "Can you help me?" I figured she wanted to know where something was, and it would be a quick answer.

She proceeds to pull out a phone and says, "I just got this and I can't figure out how to make a call. Do you know how to work it?" For a moment I felt the "tick tick tick" feeling of time passing that I couldn't get back. But it was only a second before I just wanted to hug her and sit down and teach her how to use it. Unfortunately I didn't have the time for that much teaching, but I was able to show her how to turn it on, where the icon was for dialing the phone and helped her place the call she needed to.

At the end she said the most lovely thing to me,

I smiled, wished her luck with the phone and a lovely afternoon.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Aww! So sweet, Shoka.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thus have I heard:

I have undertaken to perform one act of service or generosity each day out of compassion for all. Today I paid for the hosting for a Buddhist monk who puts out a lot of teachings and helps to spread the Dharma to countless beings.
    A great blessing: the opportunity to open the heart and listen -- and when knowing what another needs, to give accordingly!

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

today i recieved my first erhu lesson from a boy of my age in a "quarter-life crisis"
    i stumbled across his ad offerring to teach erhu online , it was pleasant and sincere.
    in the ad he mentioned he was jobless ..like me. i immediately knew he was the right one.
    i replied to his ad and we start chatting. this happened only yesterday.
    he offered to come to my house after discussing to meet in some cafe and i offered to cook him lunch.

so thats what we did.
    i cooked for him, he let his heart out and really confided in me. i did my best
    listened and offerd advice and said i could meditate with him if he wanted to learn.
    he did not charge me a single cent for the lesson, even though he drove to my place.
    "May we with all beings realize the emptiness of the three wheels, giver, receiver, and gift."

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Quote Originally Posted by Gojo View Post
    Thus have I heard:

"May we with all beings realize the emptiness of the three wheels, giver, receiver, and gift."

Gassho.
    Just for reference, I am assuming that the "erhu" mentioned is a kind of Chinese violin that looks like this ...

Lovely. It seems that this person made beautiful harmony ... in life, if not yet on the erhu!

Gassho, J

SatTodaylah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

i believe so..
    let's not forget the harmony with the neighbors too,
    which comes in a more straightforward way- buying a mute for the erhu!

http://www.easonmusicstore.com/produ...-Erhu-Mute/239

gassho, ryk
    sattodaylah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Just for reference, I am assuming that the "erhu" mentioned is a kind of Chinese violin that looks like this ...

Lovely. It seems that this person made beautiful harmony ... in life, if not yet on the erhu!

Gassho, J

SatTodaylah

My son is 14 but quite shy. He was recently on holiday in Tenerife with his mother and two sisters (rather less shy!). After dinner each night they went for a walk and ate an ice cream (it was 30+ Celsius even at this time of year). One night there was a homeless man so he decided to donate his ice money to him instead of having the ie cream. He is learning Spanish at school so when the man said "Gracias" he was able to respond with "de nada" ("think nothing of it").

A small thing but hopefully a bodhisattva seed.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Thus have I heard:

Two kinds of nothing

Most people associate Depression with being down, unhappy or constantly tired.
    I had none of those symptoms.
    So it took a while to cotton on what is actually happening:
    Having discovered Zen relatively recently, it was surprisingly easy to go with “Nothing is good, nothing is bad. Things just are.”
    It made absolutely no difference to me whether I had long hair or shaved it off completely the next day, despite the reactions to shaved women in public. It made no difference whether there was music or not. Whether there was what others would call ‘noise’ or complete silence for long periods of time. Essentially, I thought “I’ve got this Zen thing figured out!”
    There was absolutely nothing that upset me anymore - no road rage, no disappointment with work. I gave half my clothes away to charity, minimalising, letting go of attachment to things - easy done. Nothing a colleague could do or say to hurt me or lose my calm. But also: Zero joy. No interest in if or what I ate. I sat in the hot water in the tub on a cold winter day - something I used to LO.V.E. and felt - nothing.
    Zen is not about feeling nothing at all. But to JOYFULLY accept what is. Or isn’t. So simple, but it was a major revelation for rookie me.

I have made an effort of creating a sense of joy when I meditate. To slightly raise the edges of my mouth to a relaxed smile. And I feel a physical difference in the quality of the meditation.

Meditation alone did not make the depression go away by the way. I think in many ways, had I been more upset about my reality I would have gotten help sooner. It took medication and patience. It took time off work and self love and self care. Meditation helps, but it is not a miracle cure.

Zen. What a journey. Two kinds of nothing. I suspect I haven’t discovered them all yet though...
    When we are intimate with and nourished by myriad beings, the needle does not rest half-way between "joy" and "sadness", but points at least a little towards "joy". We can let the statues, paintings, and photos of Buddhas and ancestors guide us -- they often have a gentle smile!

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

On the first day of school and for the very first time at school, my buddy Jack needed someone to take him. So off we went to hangout in class, to play, and be present with the wonders of life.

Thank you Jack for asking me to come and hang out with you at school, it made me smile and a memory I will never forget. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Thus have I heard:

At a convenience store, the restroom had waste on the floor. I picked it up. Yes, they have janitors, and I could have told them but I did it to be mindful of my surroundings and having an opportunity for a moment of Samu.
    A monk once asked Ummon, "What is the Buddha?" Ummon answered thus: "Waste on the restroom floor." (deliberate misquote of the Mumonkan, Case 21)

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

We were at a restaurant today for a Thanksgiving buffet. It was a very large, crowded banquet hall. My elderly mother in law got separated from us somehow when we went up to get food. As we were looking for her, she was escorted back to our table by one of the wait staff who, despite the crazy busy-ness, had spotted her alone, helped her get 2 plates full of everything she wanted and carried them back to our table for her. 🥧
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Testing to make sure the forum is back online correctly after Rohatsu...

Here is a story about a great white shark rescued and returned to the sea. https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/de...hes-ashore-cl/

May all beings be free of suffering, that means apex predators too.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

A story that got caught in the SPAM filter (it is from a month ago)... Thus have I heard:

You don’t have to look very hard to find opportunities to lend a hand.

On Veteran’s Day I saw a gentleman approaching the checkout line at the hardware store as I approached as well. He had a Vietnam Veterans baseball cap on. I let him go ahead of me and I insisted on paying for his lightbulbs. He was very gracious. He tracked me down in the parking lot after our brief exchange and thanked me profusely. He said he didn’t have the words when we were standing at the register. I thanked him for his service and we went our separate ways.

As I was driving by a gas station recently, I noticed two young men walking down the road with a gas can. I pulled into the station as they began filling their gas can and I asked them if they needed a ride back to their car. They said yes and indicted their car was just down the road. It was over two miles away! I was so glad to save them that walk. They offered to pay me and I refused and said they could pay me back by helping someone else out as I helped them.

Walking into work yesterday I could hear the rock salt crunch under my feet as it melted the snow and ice from a recent storm. I looked down and noticed something small and brown crawling across the sidewalk. It was a woolly bear caterpillar and it would surely die if I left it alone. So, I stooped down, picked it up and placed it in a bush where it will hopefully make a home.

It’s not hard to lend a hand and it takes very little time.
    When the heart is open, opportunities to help abound.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

These stories make me happy
    We had a little help-fest at my work tonight... one of my employees got home to a sick cat... she called my associate who was busy and called me, so I went and got my daughter from math, then came back to the hospital to see her kitty... one of my other assistants stayed to help, and then one of the technicians, on the phone, walked us through using the new lab equipment to do the bloodwork, while the catís ownerís friend went to get my daughter a veggie burger since she had no dinner. Lol! Kitty is stable, in his hospital cage in which he hopefully will volunteer an overnight urine sample, and everyone went home. Itís lovely when people all pull together to help an animal in need.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Thus have I heard:

I gave some money to a mother with a upset child at the counter today, she could not afford the small chocolate he wanted. She thanked me, I thanked her and walked away.

The legendary "laughing Buddha" Hotei went about the world carrying a cloth sack filled with candy and fruit to give to children and others in need. It is said that at an advanced age he recited the following poem and disappeared from this realm:

"Maitreya, Maitreya
    Everywhere.
    Yet people do not
    See him."

Together we make Maitreya Buddha manifest. See him!

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Touching poem and act, thank you.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thus have I heard:

I realized that after all these years, I have somehow forgiven myself. I even like myself a little.
    Joy can be found in letting go of attachments: both the desires for some alternate past and to some specific future outcome.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Today I gave a woman a lift. In my area, that could easily end in tears.

But she was desperate.

I drove her to her sons bday party. We talked, and she promised to try harder and keep in touch with jnr. I told her ind help either way.

She thanked me for the lack of desire. I cried a little and told her she was a good mum. My area is poor, and big drug prob.

I believe her. I metta for All.

Gassho.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Thus have I heard:

Last spring Fiona Presly, a library assistant from Inverness, Scottish Highlands came across a surprising phenomenon she would never forget. While taking care of her garden she spotted a bumblebee queen crawling around. What surprised her the most was that the animal had no wings, as it turns out the bumblebee may have suffered from a virus which had caused problems in wing development. The insect had very slim chances of survival but this kind-hearted woman came to the rescue.

Fiona created an enclosed mini garden for the helpless animal and treated her to some sugar water. Soon enough the beautiful friendship unfolded between them. Every time Fiona would stop by the garden her tiny new friend would emerge to greet her. The bee cuddled with the woman and seemed to light up when Fiona was holding the insect in her arms.

The earth bumblebees have an average lifespan of only 18 weeks but Presly was taking care of her new friend so well that she outlived her counterparts. Sadly, the friendship couldn’t last forever since the bee eventually passed away, leaving a beautiful memory to her rescuer.

https://www.boredpanda.com/woman-bef...-fiona-presly/
    All beings tremble before danger, all fear death. [Dhammapada 54]

The nature of interdependence means that all beings have influence over all other beings. Every action impacts every other being and every other action. May each of us act with kindness and compassion.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

I left my suitcase with my work briefcase and laptop on the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) tonight 🤢. A helpful nearby police officer called the train, AND THE CONDUCTOR DROPPED IT OFF TO ME AN HOUR LATER AS THE TRAIN WAS GOING BACK TO NYC. All I could do was give them hugs and my gratitude, but I am doing double LAH duty for awhile to pay this one forward. ❤️

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/experiencing major gratitude overflow!

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

A nice story in the news of people doing a good thing ....

Matthew said their neighbor was shaking when he told her they had found her safe.
    When asked why they didn't keep the loot for themselves, Maria said, "It wasn't even a question. It wasn't ours."
    "The reward is karma. Good karma." added Matthew.
    https://us.cnn.com/2018/05/17/us/tre...rnd/index.html

The news is filled with such stories every day, but they get buried in all the news of nasty behavior.

Gassho, J

STLah

A dog followed us home this morning

This morning on our early walk Terra and I found a dog. Usually I try to swoosh dogs to go home and see them run back into their yard. But this time he followed us.

Terra was pretty determined he was a good dog and needed help, so he came home with us. We walk early so most people aren't wake yet. The little guy didn't have a collar so into the house he came. Once it was arou d the time that people are up we went back out for a walk hopefully to find his family.

And we did! They were just heading out to look for him.

The annoyance of having him go bathroom in my house, washed away the moment the boy and him caught sight of each others.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sat/LAH

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    A dog followed us home this morning

This morning on our early walk Terra and I found a dog. Usually I try to swoosh dogs to go home and see them run back into their yard. But this time he followed us.

Terra was pretty determined he was a good dog and needed help, so he came home with us. We walk early so most people aren't wake yet. The little guy didn't have a collar so into the house he came. Once it was arou d the time that people are up we went back out for a walk hopefully to find his family.

And we did! They were just heading out to look for him.

The annoyance of having him go bathroom in my house, washed away the moment the boy and him caught sight of each others.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sat/LAH

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Thank you for sharing and thank you for caring.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

Just a quick note of gratitude. Making sure I do some kindness everyday is affecting me for the good. I used to be skeptical about forcing kindness, as if that would create insincerity or self-importance, but I guess we become what we practice. So thank you all for this practice.

Peace,

Joe
    Sat today, lah

Quote Originally Posted by jlydon View Post
    Just a quick note of gratitude. Making sure I do some kindness everyday is affecting me for the good. I used to be skeptical about forcing kindness, as if that would create insincerity or self-importance, but I guess we become what we practice. So thank you all for this practice.

Peace,

Joe
    Sat today, lah
    I think there is so much truth in this. We usually believe that "forced kindness" is not sincere somehow. But it is not quite so simple. We do good acts because we feel kind and charitable, but doing good acts also has a feedback effect to create the feeling and sincerity.

It is in Time Magazine, so must be true ...

Being Generous Really Does Make You Happier
    http://time.com/4857777/generosity-happiness-brain/

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Hi everyone,

I just had an old colleague call me out of the blue. We probably haven't talked in over a year, but for some reason he decided to call. And it was so nice to just catch up and chat. I'm so glad he called, because it's nice to know after all this time that he still wanted to check and see how I'm doing.

But it also inspired me to call another friend who I haven't talked to in a long time. She didn't answer, so I left a message saying I was thinking about her, and hoped everything was well.

Sometimes a small action can lead to more action.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sat+lah
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Shoka for bringing this thread to the fore again, I often forget about it being here.

As you say sometimes its the little things that count. With my wife's heart condition I've tended to take for granted the daily tasks I do to support her and look outside of that for LAH but those actions are the little lah in my signature.
    Last week I took her shopping and sat in the car as usual with our GSD Sophie. Two women came out the shop, probably mother and daughter around 70 and 50ish. As they got in their car I heard that oh so sickening sound of a dead battery and and engine refusing to turn over. A year ago with my French I would not have the confidence to help but probably have done so all the same but I got out the car, explained I had starter cables and was able to help. Within a few minutes their expression of fear and worry had turned to smiles of gratitude and they were on there way. Doesn't take much to make the world a better place.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    As you say sometimes its the little things that count. With my wife's heart condition I've tended to take for granted the daily tasks I do to support her and look outside of that for LAH but those actions are the little lah in my signature.
    Excellent point Seishin. Thank you. This actually came up in my Ango PPE#1 discussion with Meitou. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by the suffering in the world. It is easy to think that our efforts are but small drops of water in a very large bucket. But eventually with enough drops even the largest bucket will fill.

Metta to your wife and also to you for supporting her.

Tairin
    Sat today
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Excellent point Seishin. Thank you. This actually came up in my Ango PPE#1 discussion with Meitou. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by the suffering in the world. It is easy to think that our efforts are but small drops of water in a very large bucket. But eventually with enough drops even the largest bucket will fill.

Metta to your wife and also to you for supporting her.

Tairin
    Sat today

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart