Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stories of Compassion and Kindness - GOJO BODHISATTVA

Most of you know my partner Doreen had emergency surgery recently that caused her a lot of pain and anxiety. On a follow up visit to the doctor, after his examination he told her he was very pleased with the way it all went and said he didn't have to see her again for two months.
    As he was leaving the room Doreen thanked him for what he had done for her and as busy a he was, he returned, put his hand on her arm and said," I really wish I could have restored your vision for you."
    It was amazing how she perked right up. She later told me she had been feeling pretty well used up and didn't know how she could cope with any more pain but, his small gesture made her think, "hey, I am worth it" From then on she has been a lot happier and more comfortable.

Tell people how you really feel.

gassho,

sat today
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Most of you know my partner Doreen had emergency surgery recently that caused her a lot of pain and anxiety. On a follow up visit to the doctor, after his examination he told her he was very pleased with the way it all went and said he didn't have to see her again for two months.
    As he was leaving the room Doreen thanked him for what he had done for her and as busy a he was, he returned, put his hand on her arm and said," I really wish I could have restored your vision for you."
    It was amazing how she perked right up. She later told me she had been feeling pretty well used up and didn't know how she could cope with any more pain but, his small gesture made her think, "hey, I am worth it" From then on she has been a lot happier and more comfortable.

Tell people how you really feel.

gassho,

sat today
    Beautiful stoey Shokai, thank you for sharing ... It brought a smile and tear to my eye. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Sekishi #sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Hello friends,

This is no great service or compassion, but I thought I'd share anyway because even "chores" can be engaged action in the world when approached as such. Caring for our bodies, families, homes, and neighborhoods is service too.

My family and I have been planting trees, and trying to encourage "volunteer" trees and shrubs (particularly fruiting varieties for the local wildlife) to return as much of our little 2 acre domain to a "natural" state as possible. Part of this process is to prune (or even remove) some new growth a few times a year to avoid overcrowding. Another part is simply trimming and weed-whacking to keep poison ivy, tick habitats, and snake hidy places away from where the humans or dog spend their time.

First: our old pollution generating weed whacker finally gave up the ghost last year, so this winter I replaced it with a much cleaner electric model. Woohoo!

Second: Life has been chaotic the past month or two in our household and finding time to devote to things as "mundane" as yardwork has been difficult. But they must be done (too many places with tall grass to hide in and turtles or bunnies are in danger from the lawnmower, room for snakes and humans to see each other clearly makes them better neighbors, etc.). I quit work early today and spent the daylight hours trying to approach the tasks as practice, open handed with an attitude of giving and simple presence. No thought of "getting finished". Through simple activity tall grass was trimmed, poison ivy was moved away from high traffic areas, and branches pruned themselves.

An old Buddha once said "everything we meet is our lives" (Uchiyama maybe?). So I endeavor to meet "chores" and even that ol poison ivy with compassion and an open heart.

Asthmatic selfie:

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #trimmed

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

The person talking in this recording is Carl. Carl is 91 and he had a very bad heart attack a few days ago. The cardiologist told me there is nothing more to do but keep him comfortable. He is not expected to live long due to the damage to his heart, and to kidney failure. Yesterday he shared a story that he has not talked about since it happened. It was on D day. It is not a blood and guts war story, but it is something that has weighed on his heart. I'm no editor but was able to piece together just over ten minutes from over thirty with pauses and non-lucid moments.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-herma...-story/s-V0lEb

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    The person talking in this recording is Carl. Carl is 91 and he had a very bad heart attack a few days ago. The cardiologist told me there is nothing more to do but keep him comfortable. He is not expected to live long due to the damage to his heart, and to kidney failure. Yesterday he shared a story that he has not talked about since it happened. It was on D day. It is not a blood and guts war story, but it is something that has weighed on his heart. I'm no editor but was able to piece together just over ten minutes from over thirty with pauses and non-lucid moments.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-herma...-story/s-V0lEb

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today
    No words. It sounds like Carl knew there was nothing wrong with being kind to another human being, and risked his own safety to bring friendship and comfort to another. Can you pass on thanks, for his bravery and example?

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Thus have I heard:

A silly simple kindness that can bring a smile to someone's face. Today I found this on my white board. It made me smile and feel like someone cares. I don't know who put it there, but it will stay for a while.
    20170518_173053-hi-8x6.jpg

Helping someone smile manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

互 - mutually;  reciprocally;  together
    助 - help;  rescue;  assist

Gojo is no-one. Gojo is everyone. Together we manifest the hands of the Bodhisattvas!

Please, bear witness and share reports of kindness and compassion in the world: gojo@treeleaf.org

Thus have I heard:

A friend of mine recently purchased 3 music concert tickets for two senior blind ladies and a driver and arranged for the driver to pick them up in time for the concert.
    The gift of music (and a night out!) manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Gojo is no-one. Gojo is everyone. Together we manifest the hands of the Bodhisattvas!

Please, bear witness and share reports of kindness and compassion in the world: gojo@treeleaf.org

Thus have I heard:

Today I was not in a rush, so I gave up my place in line to people a few times. They did not know, because I just ducked to the back of the line or a different line when I was near the front. Nobody noticed me. I was not in a hurry, and they might be hungrier, more tired or needed to get home. I don't know, but I was not in any rush today. In fact, it was a nice lesson in slowing down, intentionally not rushing. Why do we rush even when not in a rush?
    Putting others before ourselves (even in the checkout line) manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Where I live, we haul our own trash to the dump about 20 minutes away (there is no pick-up). We loaded up our pickup truck on Friday, but did not actually go to the dump until Saturday. Overnight a skink must have climbed into back of the truck to investigate. So on Saturday while I was throwing trash into the compactor I uncovered the little fella who was quite scared. I gathered up some rope and a sheet of cardboard to made a little "nest" for him to hide in on the drive home. He scurried in and stayed there. I stopped once on the drive home to check on him (which is when I took this photo).
    skink-640w.jpg

Offering temporary comfort to a frightened being manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Several years ago, a co-worker was crying in the office... when I asked her why, she revealed that she and her husband had a fight and he was very unkind to her on Mother's Day. He scoffed at her for choosing asparagus for her Mother's Day dinner, among other things. That night I went home and picked some asparagus for her from my garden and brought it in the next day. I have done it every spring since.

Today it occurred to me that it was asparagus season, so I went out to look and sure enough the first crop is there. I picked her a nice big bunch of fat stalks and will bring them in tomorrow.
    Offering asparagus manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Quote Originally Posted by Gojo View Post
    Thus have I heard:

Offering asparagus manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    This is the best thing I've read all day.

Gassho,
    Hoko
    #SatToday
    LAH (not asparagus though...)
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Thus have I heard:

I was in the park yesterday with my child, saw where someone had left a pack of cigarettes and a plastic lighter where kids could get it. Nobody was around. I also saw some bottles and cans nearby. Grabbed a garbage bag from the car and picked most of it up. I think there are cleaning people for the park, but I am not sure when they come.
    Making the world cleaner and safer manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Saw a young waitress in a restaurant today, she looked like she was struggling with orders and messed up ours a little. Found out that she is from Georgia, the country not the U.S. State. Looked up how to say in Georgian "Thank you, you are doing great." (დიდი მადლობა. თქვენ აკეთებთ კარგ საქმეს. - didi madloba. t’k’ven aket’ebt’ karg sak’mes.) She laughed, and I think she said "you're welcome" (but I can't be sure).
    Offering a kind word (even if awkwardly pronounced!) manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

I saw this quote from Mr. Rogers (the host of a lovely and gentle children's program that ran for decades here in the US) on social media today, and I thought I share it here:

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."
    This is a deep lesson for us all. When the world seems bleak and our hearts broken, look for the helpers. And if we have the opportunity, BE the helpers.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

P.S. "Quotes" from social media are often problematic, but it looks like Mr. Rogers really did say this: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/scarynews.asp
    sekishi
    石志

Thus have I heard:

I helped a co-worker that everyone finds very difficult to work with on a project today.

This fellow is deeply bitter and flies into a rage at almost everything at work. We work in support services (IT) and pretty much everyone avoids being around him, customers and co-workers alike. He struggles with alcoholism and smokes like a freight train. He is very angry, all the time.

He called me today and asked if I could help him run some cabling on a new site. I didn't hesitate to agree. While we were working he would become angry, on the verge of blowing up but I would smile at him, say positive things and 'poke' a joke or two at some of the issues we had come up. He made it though the project, which took most of the day, without any 'explosions'.

It may not be much, but I was thankful to have the opportunity to get him through at least one 'good' day this week at work.

I even got him to laugh and smile a few times.
    Helping someone have a "good" day doing their work manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Offered a close friend some words of comfort due to knowledge that one of the people close to him is going to die.

I said that I would be there for him if he needed anything and wanted someone to talk to.
    Offering comfort and deep listening manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Today I write with a sad story of compassion and a reminder that being compassionate doesn't always mean doing a nice thing. Sometimes the compassionate thing is ugly, horrible and hurts so very much.

I called a friend after seeing a strange post on Facebook, I was concerned. Within moments she was crying because the person who had posted it had not been acting like themselves for weeks. She didn't feel she could turn to anyone and didn't know what to do.

I have seen mental illness many times, and all the signs are there... including the trigger.

Now we are planning an intervention, which could very well end in police and a 3-day hold. It is a sad sad thing to do to someone you love. They often hate you for a long time, eventually they may see it was done out of love and compassion.

If anyone has a moment please offer metta for people suffering from mental illness, and for those who love them, who have to make the hard choice to not be nice, but be compassionate.
    Offering aid is not always easy. Mental afflictions such as fear and doubt can make it difficult for us to act.

Much Metta for all those who suffer from mental illness, those who love them, and those who act from compassion.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thank you! If that was my family member or friend, I would be eternally grateful for the help.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    No words. It sounds like Carl knew there was nothing wrong with being kind to another human being, and risked his own safety to bring friendship and comfort to another. Can you pass on thanks, for his bravery and example?

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Hi Jakuden. First of all I am sorry for not following up on this post earlier. Today I passed on your thanks for his bravery and example. Carl is not a crier, but he did tear up when he heard this. It means a lot to him. This was an incident that he did not share with his own family, because at the time it was disgraceful and shameful, and he had carried that shame all these years

thank you. He has diminished since the recording two weeks ago, but is still sitting up and talking.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today/ LAH
    Daizan
    Last edited by RichardH; 05-29-2017 at 09:58 PM.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/portland...ms-last-words/

Thus have I heard...

On Friday on a Portland Oregon (USA) light-rail train, a man stabbed three men who intervened when he allegedly yelled racial slurs at two young women, one of whom was wearing a hijab.

A woman [Rachel Macy] who tried to help one of the Portland train stabbing victims [Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche] in his final moments is speaking out about his last words:

... "I told him, 'You're a beautiful man. I'm so sorry the world is so cruel,'" Macy said.

"He [Meche] said, 'Tell them, I want everybody to know, I want everybody on the train to know, I love them,'" she said. "He was a beautiful man, that's what I want people to know."
    Macy says she isn't angry about the attack:
    "I wanted to wake up and be mad and blame something or someone," Macy said. "And I can't. It's not what he [Meche] would have wanted."
    Placing one's body in danger to help another being manifest's Gojo.
    Using one's voice to cool the fires of anger and hatred manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Last night I felt very bad, having a cold and not being able to sleep and feeling sad about the state of my life, the world, the universe etc.

I called a friend who I had not seen in a long time, but I know he stays up late.
    So I asked if he'd like to go for a walk, and we met at midnight.

He didn't ask what was wrong, but told me what had happened in his life.
    About finally finding a job.
    About being in debt.
    About having a row with a friend about something quite stupid.

Taking someone out for a walk and out of their own narrow minds at midnight is manifesting compassion -/\-
    Two friends, one sharing their difficulties, one listening (and temporarily forgetting their own difficulties) -- both manifest Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

This evening I was able to help shepherd some kids out of harms way at a gathering when a guest had too much to drink and reacted badly. He became violent and vulgar in front of the children. The men got involved to intervene and I quietly took the children into another room (with an exit) out of sight and earshot of the person. The incident was resolved some minutes later with no one hurt and no damages, and the children are fine, just some shaken nerves.
    In Zen practice we often turn to face difficulties head-on without flinching, but when we shield others from pain and fear we manifest Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Checking out some groceries at the one store in the local area that is the worst in it’s chain but it is what is available. Messed up what I intended to buy versus what I had the lady check out. She fixed it calmly and efficiently. I made sure to tell the manager about her good work. Figured that it can’t be much fun standing up all day checking groceries so a bit of praise might make her day a bit better. Made mine better too!
    Paying attention to our work and efficiently helping others manifests Gojo.
    Appreciating others' work and offering gratitude manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

I passed a very large snapping turtle attempting to make her way across a four lane divided road. She had obviously just left a nearby pond and was likely on her way to lay eggs.

The road was busy, but not impossible to cross for such a turtle. I parked nearby and got out. I figured that if I stood on the side of the road people would notice a person and the hazard lights flashing on the car (and would therefor notice the large turtle too).

But she was obviously nervous about having a human and car nearby and stopped moving. I walked down the road a way in hopes that she would no longer be frightened and would continue on her way. But it didn't work. After a few minutes it was obvious that my presence actually increased the danger to her. I got in the car and left.
    SnappingTurtle-sq601.jpg

Sometimes knowing when NOT to act manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Hello friends,

I wrote this a few weeks ago in the "going away and coming back" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Last week my Dharma brother (from my local Sangha) ended up in the ICU with an extremely rare and life threatening confluence of conditions.
    Doug is home again, and we've been able to sit together twice. He is not quite his old self yet, but is seeing steady improvement.

Doug-at-Home.jpg

I just wanted to say thank you for the Metta, well wishing PMs, and general kindness of Treeleaf members (and Doug sends his heartfelt thank-yous as well for the Metta).

I also wanted to offer my deep gratitude for the many dear Bodhisattvas who cared for Doug in the hospital, and the friends and neighbors that have been helping out. Each manifests Gojo.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    sekishi
    石志

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thus have I heard:

Fourteen years ago my wife spent six months coaxing a feral tom-cat, gaining his trust through kind words and offerings of food and water. Once she gained his trust, she was able to catch him (although not without some significant scratches and bites) and move him into a spare room in our house. A few days later he realized that humans were actually pretty nice and became a sweet kitty named "Bert" (short for "sherbert") nearly overnight.

Bert greeted strangers, contractors, and visiting family and friends with equal enthusiasm. He was kind to every stray animal and hard-luck case we ever brought into our home. He followed us from room to room, and from home to office. We often said "whereever you go, theres a Bert".

In the last year Bert developed kidney and thyroid issues that required twice daily medication and periodic trips to the vet, which he took in stride.

The past month or so has been a slow and steady decline in his condition. "Dr. Sam" has been wonderful in helping us manage symptoms and keep Bert under palliative care. However, on Friday it was clear that he was in significant discomfort and his body was failing. Unfortunately Dr. Sam was leaving early, and we were faced with a weekend without care or options. Dr. Sam gave us his home address, and we took Bert to see him. Under a huge old oak tree in Dr. Sam's front yard (the house was built in the 1850's and I suspect the tree has been there since then), Bert laid in my lap while Dr. Sam gave him two final injections. He faded out surrounded by the sounds and smells of summer, and with the people who loved him.

Thank you Dr. Sam, for caring for Bert and for letting us come to your home.
    S+B-outside.jpg

Each being in this story manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

A wild Gojo spotted at a hospital!

gojo-hand-cleaner-640h.jpg

Caring for oneself (and cleanliness) cares for others (and their health). This manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

I saw this on Twitter this morning: make the world a better place via your continued existence.

Original comic from:
    http://nellucnhoj.com/
    nellucnhoj-be-good-574sq.jpg

"Be good to each other" manifests Gojo.

"To avoid all evil
    To do good.
    To purify one's mind.
    This is the teaching of all the Buddhas."

--Dhammapāda, XIV, 5 ,
    Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Last week I wrote about the snapping turtle that I was not able to help across the road.

This weekend I saw a little box turtle trying to cross the road, so I picked him up and carried him to the other side.

Note to self: there is always another turtle!
    turtle-sq.jpg

Knowing when to act and when not to act, this manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    Last edited by Gojo; 06-06-2017 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Fixed broken attachment.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

So a friend of a friend decided to buy two little ducks because she thought they were cute, but then realized they require a lot care and attention. So after doing some research and finding out what they need to eat, heat lamps, bedding, and such she was on track to taking better care of these little beauties. However, she still need a safe place for them to be, to play, and to grow.

Because all sentient beings needs a safe and secure home, I decided I would build them one. So off I went on a sunny Sunday morning to HomeDepot to gather materials. Lumber, check! Fencing, check!, Screws, check! Bedding, check! Swimming pool, check! It was funny how these little guys would come over and see what I was doing as I was building their new home ... they were so open to what was going on, it was wonderful to see. Even Elsa came out to hang out with the little ducks ... was wayyy too cute. =)

There truly is something that goes beyond words when we reach out and help the ones around us, even these little ducks. I felt a sense of gratitude towards them for giving me this opportunity to share and give back in a way I was able to. Sometimes life can just seem overbearing and we don't know what we can do to change it or where we can start. But the truth is, you can make a difference! Whether big or small, each positive action makes a difference in this world ... even if it is just making a home for two small ducks.

So, thank you little ducks for giving me this opportunity to make a difference. =)
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Helping a friend care for others manifests Gojo.
    Helping sentient beings have a safe home manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

I have difficulties reading longer texts. So a dharma friend has put his energy to pointing out the essentials of a teaching I could not read otherwise.

It's like mashing potatoes for someone with a toothache - you help to nourish them the way they can.

Mashing potatoes manifests Gojo.
    Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

My practice manager/head technician had her second child yesterday. The hospital where she gave birth is an hour's drive West of us. Although we had to first go visit my daughter in the hospital, which is an hour North, in the spirit of LAH, I decided that there was no better antidote to the difficulties of this week than to go visit my co-worker afterwards and bring her a gift. What's a little driving to celebrate a new life vs. going home to mope and stress.
    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    My practice manager/head technician had her second child yesterday. The hospital where she gave birth is an hour's drive West of us. Although we had to first go visit my daughter in the hospital, which is an hour North, in the spirit of LAH, I decided that there was no better antidote to the difficulties of this week than to go visit my co-worker afterwards and bring her a gift. What's a little driving to celebrate a new life vs. going home to mope and stress.
    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    So true Jaluden. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Hi all,

I have a little story to share. I was going to do it through Gojo-san, but the specifics of the story would've given away it was about me. So here it goes. :P

My and my girlfriend have a super small graphic design business and we focus our efforts in helping out people who usually wouldn't have money to pay for design services. Most of the time we work for free or in exchange of things. This comes nicely with my Buddhist practice because I often teach people how to sit zazen in exchange of them doing something for their community. This way I have been able to teach zazen to people in Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru or Colombia.

A couple months ago a friend of mine lost her job and her last shot was to open a little chocolate shop in her home. She needed a logo, a brochures and a flier. I offered help her with that, but I understood she didn't have money, so I was thinking on how not to charge her (sounds stupid, I know. But I do a lot of anti-capitalism stuff). Still my friend was willing to pay me whatever I asked.

That same afternoon a Mayan friend I have in South Mexico told me about the kids Citincabchén. This is a small forgotten Mayan town that has a lot of financial and humanitarian problems. A teacher decided to teach music to kids in order to keep them busy and far from crime, and to deliver some joy to the community. But the teacher doesn't have a dime so he was asking for donations either in used instruments or money.
    P1050363.jpg

So the idea came natural. I offered help my friend with her design needs in exchange of her donating to the Mayan kids. She agreed, got her logo, and sent some money to the kids. Then I also sent some money to them.

I know whatever we sent won't buy all the instruments the kids need, but I'd like to think it was helpful.

Compassion connects people in ways that would not happen in everyday life.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi all,

I have a little story to share. I was going to do it through Gojo-san, but the specifics of the story would've given away it was about me. So here it goes. :P

My and my girlfriend have a super small graphic design business and we focus our efforts in helping out people who usually wouldn't have money to pay for design services. Most of the time we work for free or in exchange of things. This comes nicely with my Buddhist practice because I often teach people how to sit zazen in exchange of them doing something for their community. This way I have been able to teach zazen to people in Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru or Colombia.

A couple months ago a friend of mine lost her job and her last shot was to open a little chocolate shop in her home. She needed a logo, a brochures and a flier. I offered help her with that, but I understood she didn't have money, so I was thinking on how not to charge her (sounds stupid, I know. But I do a lot of anti-capitalism stuff). Still my friend was willing to pay me whatever I asked.

That same afternoon a Mayan friend I have in South Mexico told me about the kids Citincabchén. This is a small forgotten Mayan town that has a lot of financial and humanitarian problems. A teacher decided to teach music to kids in order to keep them busy and far from crime, and to deliver some joy to the community. But the teacher doesn't have a dime so he was asking for donations either in used instruments or money.
    P1050363.jpg

So the idea came natural. I offered help my friend with her design needs in exchange of her donating to the Mayan kids. She agreed, got her logo, and sent some money to the kids. Then I also sent some money to them.

I know whatever we sent won't buy all the instruments the kids need, but I'd like to think it was helpful.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Wow that's wonderful Kyonin... deep bows for all you do.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post

Gassho,
    Taiyō

SatToday/LAH
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Thus have I heard:

I was having trouble coming up with something I can do every day. I read an article about how bad eating beef is for the environment, so my LAH is to refrain from eating beef and pork. My ideal would be to eat vegan, but just cutting out beef and pork is more difficult than I thought it would be. It is a moment by moment choice.
    Living the intention to help other beings by changing our behavior day by day and moment by moment manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    Last edited by Gojo; 06-15-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Sent flowers to my daughter's therapist today. She's been a lifesaver.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Thus have I heard:

During my lunch break I like to take a little walk around the property where I work. I try and pick up trash not only on out property but also the property of neighboring businesses.
    Working for the common good manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

I have become the official critter catcher for my neighbors. Twice this week I was called by two different neighbors to remove a snake from their property. I make it a point of letting the neighbor kids touch and look at the snake so hopefully, in the future, they will not automatically kill them. (I'm pretty sure it was the same snake so the second time I took it for a little drive in the country and let it go there.
    Caring for all creatures great and small manifests Gojo.
    Helping people connect with and respect our slithery brethren manifests Gojo.

Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

"Slithery brethren"
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Hi Jakuden. First of all I am sorry for not following up on this post earlier. Today I passed on your thanks for his bravery and example. Carl is not a crier, but he did tear up when he heard this. It means a lot to him. This was an incident that he did not share with his own family, because at the time it was disgraceful and shameful, and he had carried that shame all these years

thank you. He has diminished since the recording two weeks ago, but is still sitting up and talking.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today/ LAH
    Daizan
    Just a note that Carl has passed away this evening.
    Metta for all beings suffering in all worlds.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today/LAH

Peace to Carl and to all around him.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho and metta, Daizan.

Sat today, lah

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thus have I heard:

Many folks toss pop and beer cans out the window while coming into town. When I go walking, I pick them up. It’s good for the environment plus, in my state, the pop and beer cans have a 5 cent refund. I could donate the money to another charity and get another LAH.
    Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

Sometimes lending a hand walks up and slobbers you in the face. Someone showed up today with their dog because their dogsitter cancelled at the last minute. I instantly offered to watch him in my office. It's too hot with him to be on a truck all day.
    Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Thus have I heard:

I had to call the cops today because some guy was being aggressive and trying to force a girl into his car. He drove off before the cops came, but we gave them all the information we had. The sad part was when the girl said, "don't call the cops, make them go away." She left before they arrived.

My heart is heavy knowing this probably isn't the first time, and most likely not the last time.
    Gassho.
    互助 - Gojo Bodhisattva

Hi guys,

I want to share a little story of community compassion. There is an elder man who is loved by the community. His name is Mr. Simon and he makes a living selling cooked ears of corn in his cart (elotes). They are very popular here. It's corn with cream, cheese and chili powder:

He walks all over the streets selling his corn and earns just to live by for him and his wife. A couple weeks ago he got robbed and since the robbers couldn't take much money out of him, they took the cart. This left him with no way to make a living.

When a doctor realized Simon wasn't selling corn anymore, he went to his home and asked him. Simon told the story and the doctor begun organizing people to donate money to buy a new cart for Mr. Simon.

I helped spreading the word and donating with my sitting group and together we got the money to buy a new cart and a lot of other things that will make Mr. Simon and his wife lives easier.

Gassho to all who helped.

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍