Thread: Surfing

Surfing

I was reading Brad Warner's Don't Be a Jerk, and I came across this about Dogen's "thinking not-thinking:"

When I was in Munich, Germany, a little while ago, my friend Annette, who was hosting me there, took me to a river called Eisbach, which means “Ice Brook.” There’s a bridge over the river under which there is a standing wave, owing to some kind of concrete thing under the water. People like to surf that wave. As I stood there watching the surfers stay on for a little while and then fall off, I thought about Dōgen’s advice about thinking the thought of not-thinking.

No matter how good those surfers were, nobody could stay on that wave for more than about a minute. Even though it was about as predictable as a wave could possibly be, it was still a vibrant, living thing. When those surfers crashed after a minute or so, they didn’t waste a lot of time beating themselves up for not staying on for five or ten minutes. Everyone knows that simply can’t be done. They crash and then they get right back on the wave again.

For me, zazen is kind of the same. I ride my nonthought for as long as I can, then I crash and get right back on it again. How long I stay there depends on factors beyond my control. It depends on what’s been going on for me that day or that week, how much I’ve eaten, how much sleep I’ve gotten, what the person next to me smells like, and an endless list of other factors I can’t do anything about. In zazen we are not trying to establish control of our thoughts. That’s an illusion anyway. Just stay upright as long as you can, crash as you inevitably must, and get back on again.

-----

This is a really good point. Back in the day when I first started meditating, I thought I was failing because I was not able to stay on the wave for twenty minutes. I thought that's what one was supposed to do. (I was following the Tibetan tradition, which doesn't have the same approach to meditation.)

Gassho,

Kirk

#sattoday
    流文

I know nothing.

That's like totally tubular, dude.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Really nice analogy Kirk.

Maybe for some "great masters" Zazen is like riding a bike, but for most of us I suspect it is a lot more like surfing that wave.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Lovely.

In fact, falling off and getting back on has all come to be part of the "process" in my mind. While sitting, we get tangled in thoughts in our ordinary thinking (thinking) ... then we realize we are doing so, and return for a time to a stillness and clarity (not thinking) ... then there is a time when stillness and clarity actually seem to shine through and as thoughts (thinking-non-thinking) ...

... and so the cycle repeats. By experiencing all these things during Zazen we come to experience the world in different ways. It is like seeing only through the right eye (ordinary way of seeing the world). then seeing through the left eye, then opening both eyes as samsara and nirvana are not two ... all ways to see with Buddha Eye.

Just realize and come back again and again, 10,000 times and 10,000 times. Continue for decades without worrying about it.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-08-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

PS - Also, I am underlining something I wrote for a magazine essay. I don't believe that this is emphasized nearly enough by many teachers, but it is vital and goes with everything else written above ...

Shikantaza Zazen must be sat, for the time it is sat, with the student profoundly trusting deep in her bones that sitting itself is a complete and sacred act, the one and only action that need be done in the whole world in that instant of sitting. This truth should not be thought about or voiced in so many words, but must be silently and subtly felt deep down. The student must taste vibrantly that the mere act of sitting Zazen, in that moment, is whole and thoroughly complete, the total fruition of life’s goals, with nothing lacking and nothing to be added to the bare fact of sitting here and now. The student must taste vibrantly that the mere act of sitting Zazen, in that moment, is whole and thoroughly complete, the total fruition of life’s goals, with nothing lacking and nothing to be added to the bare fact of sitting here and now. ... In doing so, one develops the sense that everything in one’s day is equally sacred, not lacking, thoroughly complete.
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-08-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Joyo
    Thank you for the reminder, Jundo. Much needed!! =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thank you Kirk. Great and useful analogy.

A few months ago I saw this picture...

fc024c22e68c1e44c187233502194cf8.jpg

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Love this

•sat2day...合掌

Troy