Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Step Too Far: A Way for Refugees and Deserving Immigrants

It would be wrong to allow this to happen. Only the U.S. and other governments of wealthy nations, with international institutions, can act ...

The U.N. says years of war, poverty and drought have left more than 20 million people facing famine.

In search of relief, the hungry walk for miles, but without enough food to go around, vast stretches of Africa and the Middle East are now on the brink of famine.

“We stand at a critical point in history,” says U.N. humanitarian chief Stephen O’Brien. “Already at the beginning of the year, we are facing the largest humanitarian crisis since the creation of the United Nations.”

On Friday, O’Brien warned world leaders that without a relief effort, millions could die -- further destabilizing the region.

“It is all preventable,” O’Brien said. “It is possible to avert this crisis, to avert these famines, to avert these human catastrophes.”

The crisis is centered on four countries and more than 20 million people, including nearly two million in Nigeria, three million in Somalia, five million in Sudan and 14 million in Yemen.

In all, about 1.4 million children face “imminent risk” of death, according to UNICEF spokeswoman Marixie Mercado.

“Children are dying because of man-made, conflict-affected disasters. In 2017, that’s shameful,” Mercado said.
    but

While the causes vary by country, war and poverty haunt all four nations and have for years. The fatal difference now could be money. The United Nations says it has just 2 percent of the $5.6 billion it needs to avert disaster. ... The United States is typically the world’s largest provider of humanitarian assistance. But the Trump administration is considering cutting about 40 percent from the budget for foreign aid, which includes the United Nations.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/20-milli...ink-of-famine/

In the meantime, here is something we can do besides pushing our leaders to offer funding ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...035#post196035

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-12-2017 at 03:22 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Again this should not be happening in a world with such abundance ... This is so sad! I will do what I can to try and make a difference.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I also heard about this today... don't know if just doing freerice.com every day is going to cut it. Thank you for alerting us, Jundo.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Can you imagine what it would be like to watch your loved ones starve We each have to help as much as we can!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joyo
    This is absolutely appalling. Just sickening to think that this is going on in a world where it could easily be prevented.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12