Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Step Too Far: A Way for Refugees and Deserving Immigrants

A Step Too Far: A Way for Refugees and Deserving Immigrants

I said that I would only speak around here if certain lines were crossed. I feel that this is such a line.

Of course, my little voice adds nothing, but I wish to put this on the record.

The Buddha allowed anyone to apply to join his Sangha, although he had rules and standards too without simply throwing open the door. We should follow his example.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-31-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

There is a Sunni Mosque here in Tsukuba, only about 3 minutes by car from Treeleaf by the way. I have been there twice over the years, to join in celebrations of the end of Ramadan. I know casually some folks who attend there as well. Otherwise, I have had little contact.

However, I feel that with what is going on now, I will contact the Imam there and make some special offer of friendship and support in some way. I hope that others will consider to do likewise in their towns.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-30-2017 at 05:42 AM.

That is very nice. I usually go out of my way to make immigrants welcome whenever possible.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    That is very nice. I usually go out of my way to make immigrants welcome whenever possible.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Here in Japan, they and I are all immigrants.

Gassho, J

SatToday (in a nice, comfortable house, then talked about homeless people)

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... this is a very important message and agree that we need support and help ALL refugees regardless. We have a few Syrian folks here in the valley and I have come across them from time to time while out and about. I am glad they are here safe. I do wish we as a society, as a country would do more, as I know we can do more.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Ansan
    Thank you, Jundo. Many bows.

My mother was an immigrant from Hungary when she was 11. Even tho she legally landed here (the US) she was treated very poorly by schools she tried to attend (she made it to the 6th grade). They called her "Bertha" instead of allowing her to use her Hungarian name of "Borbala". They made fun of her language. They made her feel ashamed to be an immigrant. She never felt comfortable here & would never admit to not becoming a citizen. That shame permeated her life & our family in many ways.

Accepting immigrants is the first step to integration. It is wrong not to allow those who want a better place to live. The second step is to make them FEEL accepted.

Today, we made a step backward instead of forward in loving kindness to our fellow humans. And that is the real shame.

Gassho
    Ansan

#sattoday

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jundo ♡

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you Jundo. It's unfortunate you had to break your silence but, it has to be said.
    We've just heard that eight people were shot and killed in a Mosque in Quebec City today.
    may we all send metta their way.
    gassho,

sat today
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Many many bows Jundo.

I am a half son of immigrants, my father's side, his both his grandfathers and one grandmother escaped the Japanese in Manchuria only to walk right into the Nazis on the other side, with the help of the Russians they were stuffed on a ship full of Jewish refugees bound for America. The other grandmother was an Irish orphan left at a convent in New York. My mother's side is Native.

My wife is Japanese and we applied for her visa three years ago and are still waiting for a response on her visa, because according to immigration law once you apply for your visa you cannot leave the U.S. till you get an approval or denial. So here we wait. And my wife is in that little gray area, legal but with no visa and can't leave America.

I have to keep her calm about this craziness and stay positive as well, but I worry about it all the time now. I know, understand because of my family and my previous job how these immigrants and refugees feel. Probably like Jundo I have Japanese permanent residency so if my wife for whatever crazy reason is forced back we won't be separated.

Basically I would like to say some of us maybe need to make a stand with all our brothers and sisters. And again thank you Jundo Sensei.

Oh and the statement made in the video about crossing the Canadian/American border it is true, the natives here in Montana do it all the time and I think most Canadians do to because Canadians always call Montana Southern Alberta.

Gassho
    拡手
    Koushu

Satoday (A long time)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

A respected CNN commentator who puts matters a little more strongly them me, and with much wisdom. It is directed at Americans, but speaks to baseless fears in all Western countries these days.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-30-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Gassho

Hoseki
    Sattoday

Thank you Jundo and everyone. I am also the granddaughter of immigrants and my father is still bitter about every slang name in the book that he was called as a child. Wish we could learn our lesson and not continue the cycle of prejudice and resentment.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

I always find the term "immigrant" odd and awkward. I am Native American on my dad's side, and have believed for many years that we are all citizens of one human race. Not countries, but one planet. So how can we be immigrants or refugees, when we are human beings of one human family? This is why war makes no sense to me.

Just my thoughts. Thank you all for speaking. I am also the great-granddaughter of immigrants, and was also raised that way (with stories of the old country, coming here, and starting over).

Deep bows

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

The very basis of human progress is been and will always be immigration. If a group of humans never had left Africa looking for greener pastures, there would not be humanity at all.

My ancestors left Portugal, Spain and England to come to the Americas. I wouldn't be here without immigration.

Thank you for this talk, Jundo.

These days are fuel for our practice. We are one.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Tai Shi here, and though my Dharma means calm poetry, sometimes I have been less than calm about what I see as important issues. If fact, I have lost two friends because of my strong hotheadedness. and there are other friends who have asked about my loyalty, still others who remain silent. Yet I must agree wit all of Jundo's compassion, and somehow remain calm.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you Jundo

•sat2day...合掌

Troy

Thank you for speaking on this Jundo, it has to be said.
    And Shokai, I am shocked reading your post and deeply saddened.
    Peace and metta to all....
    Gassho,

Marina
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    I am glad that you have put aside the usual non-political aspect of the Sangha to give this message. The action that has been taken alienates the US and gives fuel and ammunition to the extremist of this world to further their causes. I try to be as non-political as possible but I guess this kind of knee jerk reaction, is exactly what many folk feared when Trump was elected for office. It parallels the paranoia that resulted in the ignorant and nationalistic minded folk to vote for Brexit but in reality that decision will never stop people heading to Britain. It is another sad day for this Universe. So many small minded people.

May I add, much metta to the victims of the Quebec shootings and reluctantly (I still have much to learn) to those foolhardy few that committed such an atrocity.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you for talking on this and how it relates to the Dharma. I have been following this since breaking and there are some very good and intelligent people working on this. Also I believe interfaith community is a great way to find some mutual understanding and show support / Solidarity.

Gassho
    Sat2day
    Chelsea

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Gassho,

Kirk
    流文

I know nothing.

Thank you Jundo.

To paraphrase Mark Zuckerberg, in a CNN article, a ban should focus on actual threats, and I agree. Duh! I mean it's obvious!

This is where things can get dangerous, and I know this is obvious or should be but it seems that obvious truths aren't so obvious anymore. When we start attributing the negative actions of a few to all of a "group", things get really really dangerous. When we allow fear to dictate our policies, we will see enemies everywhere. I like safety and security and prosperity, etc. But we need to really be careful that those wants are balanced with the needs of other people.

We've got to, and I mean everyone of us, have to be extra cautious in our use of language. We've got to not allow demagoguery and emotion rule our beliefs and thoughts; we have to fight for freedom even when it's difficult. Part of right speech is accurate speech. It's a struggle sometimes to not push away people who look different or look like they are up to no good; but we have logic for a reason. We need to rely on that to guide us as a nation. We need to not give in to racism or culturalism, etc.

I mean we have to be able to take care of each other. And I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just have to say something.

Gassho,

Rish
    -sattoday

Hello,

The President is enforcing the last president's law (passed in 2015, signed by BHO in 2016).

Syria is the only nation mentioned in the President's Executive Order ( the other six were inserted by BHO and the main stream media). "No one's lost money underestimating the American people."- P.T. Barnum

So, to begin this missive:

This not what Gautama Buddha might say; but rather Dougie Budd-Ha -

In his teachings, we find the answer:

“Trump insulted me, Trump beat me (in election), robbed me!”
    Think this way and hatred never ends.
    “Trump insulted me, Trump beat me (Electoral College), robbed me!”
    Give this up and in you hatred ends.
    Not by hate is hate defeated;
    hate is quenched by no-hate.
    This is eternal law.
    (Dhammapada 3-5 Version 2.0)

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today

P.S. No one cares disrespecting the man. Respect the Office.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

A Step too Far: A Way for Refugees and Deserving Immigrants

Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post
    The President is enforcing the last president's law (passed in 2015, signed by BHO in 2016).

Syria is the only nation mentioned in the President's Executive Order ( the other six were inserted by BHO and the main stream media).
    Not exactly.

It is true that the original list of "countries of concern" were part of the "Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015", a rider attached to H.R.158 (a so called "must pass" omnibus spending bill). However, H.R. 158 did not block general travel or immigration from any specific countries or based on any particular religion. It did revoke travel privileges from certain people previously covered under the Visa Waver Program.

I'm on mobile at the moment, so research is a pain, but here are a few links.

The ACLU's take in 2015: https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...58_final_1.pdf

An article from the Center for Immegration studies (also in 2015): http://cis.org/Brief-Analysis-HR-158...ement-Act-2015

U.S. Customs & Border Protection FAQ archived from November 2016 that the "restrictions do not bar travel to the United States":
    http://archive.is/B9uGu

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sattoday

Update - another link that might shed some light: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ration-restri/
    Last edited by Sekishi; 01-31-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    Konsetsu
    SatToday

Washin
    sat today

This is the fourth iteration of my post. I've already written and deleted three drafts. I can't get on a soapbox, and don't want to get into politics.....we all have views, and debating them is pretty much like pushing on a rope, in most cases.

However, I will say that I am greatly disappointed in the travel ban. As Americans, I'd say we are *all* descendants of immigrants, if you go back far enough. If people are fleeing oppression or danger in their home countries, and trying to make better lives for themselves and their families, we should welcome them. It should be an honor to us as a country that they see America as a safe haven; they aren't coming here to wage war or destroy our way of life.....they are coming here to avoid war and preserve life.

This ban is coming down hardest on not just immigrants, but *Muslim* immigrants. I find this disturbing, because in the Bible itself (Matthew ch. 25) you can find the following:

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    There is no mention of race, gender, or religion in this. Regardless of religion, we are all human. We are all family. We should be helping those in need, not turning them away.

Thank you, Jundo, for speaking up. I agree, and I will continue to do what I can locally, to try and promote understanding and compassion.

Gassho--

--JimH (SatToday!)

Thank you, Jundo. This needed saying.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thank you for this, Jundo.
    Gassho,
    Matt
    #SatToday

Thank you for this, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Paul

Nazi's rounded up my Grannies village in Napoli and threatened imprisonment and execution if they did not confess to aiding the Allied invasion. They refused to talk, and were released after 2 days.

Was this bravery?

My Nan and Pa met while working as doctors to the injured civilians and soldiers in the Pacific thaetre (primarliy PNG and Malaysia). During the bombing runs, they helped remove those with no ability to move themselves. Women, men, children; those under anaesthetic and those currently being operated on; housing them in there own bed at great risk of retribution.

Was this bravery?

My mothers Mother was taken from her family and raised in an orphanage because she was Australian Aboriginal. She remebered her family, and waited until she was old enough to return. She did, but her parents had died. This happened because they were from the Indigenous people of the Dungog area. She never allowed hatred to corrupt her Heart.

Was this bravery?

What will be your bravery? the exercise of words in the face of words; or the everyday action of a decent human doing just exactly what must be done in this moment?.

Remember that no-one will really remember what you are doing right now but yourself. So make sure you choose something that you can live with when your Grandkids ask.

Acting for an imagined version of ourselves in our vulnerable old age, or even some immaterial future "nationhood"; is IMO the fastest way to ensure skilful emotion is used for unskillful reasons.

I mean no disrespect, and hold that every human must reconcile with there actions in thereown Heart; and that no-one can possibly tell you who you are.

In this view; I can not see a seperation between "Me" and "politics". Everything is politics, ultimatly.

Gassho,
    Geoff.

SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Ansan
    Thank you, Getchi/Geoff. That is beautifully written and conveyed. Many deep bows for this.

Gassho,
    Ansan
    SatToday

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Getchi View Post
    Nazi's rounded up my Grannies village in Napoli and threatened imprisonment and execution if they did not confess to aiding the Allied invasion. They refused to talk, and were released after 2 days.

Was this bravery?

My Nan and Pa met while working as doctors to the injured civilians and soldiers in the Pacific thaetre (primarliy PNG and Malaysia). During the bombing runs, they helped remove those with no ability to move themselves. Women, men, children; those under anaesthetic and those currently being operated on; housing them in there own bed at great risk of retribution.

Was this bravery?

My mothers Mother was taken from her family and raised in an orphanage because she was Australian Aboriginal. She remebered her family, and waited until she was old enough to return. She did, but her parents had died. This happened because they were from the Indigenous people of the Dungog area. She never allowed hatred to corrupt her Heart.

Was this bravery?

What will be your bravery? the exercise of words in the face of words; or the everyday action of a decent human doing just exactly what must be done in this moment?.

Remember that no-one will really remember what you are doing right now but yourself. So make sure you choose something that you can live with when your Grandkids ask.

Acting for an imagined version of ourselves in our vulnerable old age, or even some immaterial future "nationhood"; is IMO the fastest way to ensure skilful emotion is used for unskillful reasons.

I mean no disrespect, and hold that every human must reconcile with there actions in thereown Heart; and that no-one can possibly tell you who you are.

In this view; I can not see a seperation between "Me" and "politics". Everything is politics, ultimatly.

Gassho,
    Geoff.

SatToday.
    Deep bows Geoff

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

SatToday

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Kyotai
    Thank you for this talk.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

1. Skillful means - don't tell people they are idiots, to go kill themselves, promote the assassination of Trump, etc. Believe me others will not be so kind so don't play unless you can handle it and have the ability to respond with a compassionate voice.
    2. Be engaged - there are literally hundreds of organizations fighting for justice, equality, environmental science, our national parks, etc. I joined the Injustice Boycott lead by Shawn King. Find one you like. It really helps to remedy that helpless feeling of "I am just one person with no wealth or influence what I can do about any of this"
    3. Vote and call your local representatives about issues you care about
    4. Don't live in a bubble - listen to the views of others. Try to understand their views from their perspective. It does not mean you have to agree but at least try to understand before responding.

Just my 2 cents

•sat2day...合掌

Troy
    Last edited by Troy; 02-04-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Berlin===>Brazil===>USA.

Berlin===>Gassed/shot/baked/starved.

Some family # 1, some # 2.

------------------------------
    The MS St. Louis was a German ocean liner most notable for a single voyage in 1939, in which its captain, Gustav Schröder, tried to find homes for over 900 Jewish refugees from Germany. After they were denied entry to Cuba, the United States, and Canada, the refugees were finally accepted in various European countries, and historians have estimated that approximately a quarter of them died in death camps during World War II. The event was the subject of a 1974 book, Voyage of the Damned, by Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan-Witts. It was adapted for a 1976 U.S. film of the same title and a 1994 opera titled "St. Louis Blues" by Chiel Meijering.
    -----------------------------

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Muslim.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

I don't hear any passion from you. Just whispers.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Last edited by Jishin; 02-03-2017 at 07:53 PM.

We are all immigrants to this world. No where we're supposed to be, just passing thorough, no place to call home.

To hurt on another, to create meaningless separations of us and them... I mourn for the injured families, broken and torn by war and disease, trying to survive in any way they can.

Actions speak louder than words.

Gassho,
    Seido
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Now, this is just wrong too. All such violence should be condemned by our leaders.

Trump quickly condemns Louvre attack, still quiet on Quebec
    By Eric Levenson, CNN
    Updated 1721 GMT (0121 HKT) February 3, 2017

Last Sunday night, a French-Canadian man allegedly killed six people and injured five others during a shooting at a mosque in Quebec City.

President Donald Trump has not tweeted about or publicly mentioned that incident.
    Early Friday morning, a man at the Louvre museum in Paris yelled "Allahu Akbar" -- in Arabic, "God is greatest" -- and attacked a group of soldiers, police said. One soldier was slightly injured.
    Within hours, Trump tweeted about the incident, calling the suspect a "radical Islamic terrorist" and imploring the US to "GET SMART."

Trumps contrasting reactions to the two attacks have raised questions about how the identities of the suspects and victims informs the President's response.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/03/po...vre/index.html
    Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - Although hate is hate, interesting to note these statistics ...

Americans are almost seven times as likely to be killed by a white extremist than by an Islamic one, according to one study.

Citing a 2013 study, the New York Times notes: "Right-wing extremists averaged 337 attacks per year in the decade after 9/11, causing a total of 254 fatalities."

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there were 42 militia groups in 2008; today, there are 276. Meanwhile, anti-government groups grew to 998 in 2015, while the number of right-wing hate groups grew from 784 in 2014 to 892 in 2015.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, "domestic extremist killers" killed more people in 2015 than any other year since Oklahoma City in 1995 (In fact, here is a list of radical right wing terrorist plots, conspiracies and attacks since 1995).

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/04/op...lan/index.html
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-04-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Now, this is just wrong. All such violence should be condemned by our leaders.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Not surprising behavior from Trump because it does not fit his narrative of fear and hate towards Muslims. We must be engaged and speak out against it. Thank you for doing so.

•sat2day...合掌

Troy

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Now, this is just wrong. All such violence should be condemned by our leaders.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    I totally agree!!! This is so sad in so many ways ...

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Absolutely! Violence is violence, no matter who performs it.

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

SatToday

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Thank you for bringing this to attention, Jundo. May we all become compassionate bodhisattvas; President Trump, too.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Jundo that is very interesting reports, than you.

I'm reminded of the fear and security around the Atlanta olympics, no mention of religion then either.

And than you all for promoting peaceful methods and. Keeping the focus on actions, we will resist discrimination by wearing it down, everyday.

Gassho,
    Ge off

Sattoday
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

brumajs
    Thank you Jundo for speaking out. Thank Jinshin and Getchi for your enlightening opinions.

I live in the Czech republic, central Europe. The atmosphere there is very much alike in USA - so heated, so hateful. People are scared and politicians are trying to use their fear as means for getting to power. At these times we need to keep calm and quite mind.

It is said that our practice is about compassion for all sentient beings. Let's not forget about those who are so frightened of their lives and security that they support these policies. So much pain, so much suffering. These people deserve our compassion and love too.

Gassho
    Adam
    sat today

Thank you Jundo, Jinshin and Getchi. As a UK citizen now living in Italy, I too am an immigrant in what is now a rather uncertain situation. In these times it's so easy to feel helpless, but as long as we continue to feel compassion and act compassionately, in my humble opinion we are doing something positive.
    Gassho
    I sat with you all today.

An incredibly important message. Thank you.
    There is a an organization here in Albuquerque (new Mexico is a border state), New Mexico Immigrant Law Center that provides free legal services for undocumented immigrants. A friend and myself organized a fundraiser in conjunction with an art center (I am an artist) that was held last week. The need is great, the response to our effort was stunning. The money we raised was pittance compared to the need, but raising awareness and bringing more people into the dialogue is priceless. We had hundreds of concerned citizens and tons of publicity. I will say the lawyers who work for this organization are deeply depressed, but were buoyed by the response. The need is tremendous. There are ways to help.

Gassho....
    Anne

~st~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast