Thread: January 6th-7th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! Reflections on Jukai!

January 6th-7th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! Reflections on Jukai!

Today's Talk will look at the words of our upcoming JUKAI CEREMONY (text below)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma talk audio / podcast episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/janua...ions-on-jukai/

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-13-2017 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

The Talk this time will look at aspects of the wording and content of our upcoming Jukai "Undertaking The Precepts" Ceremony, to be held next week ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...y-15th-2017%29

The complete guide and content to our Jukai Ceremony (PDF) ...

https://sites.google.com/site/jundot...edirects=0&d=1

-------------------------

BOWING:

When directed, all Recipients Prostrate (or deep Gassho) in the direction of their own parents (or in the direction that their parents are buried if both are deceased) ...

... When directed, all Recipients Prostrate (or Deep Gassho) to the seat of the Kaishi three times (the Kaishi will first say a few words to explain the meaning of this, that the bow is not to Kaishi as a person but to the Kaishi’s place and role on behalf of the Buddhas and Ancestors).

----------

REQUEST:

The Recipients say the following words after bowing, when directed by the Kaishi:

Life and death are of supreme importance, and time swiftly passes by. Thus, I wish to receive the Great Precepts of Gautama Buddha. Please permit me to receive the Precepts.
    ----------

RECITATION OF LINEAGE/VERSE OF ATONEMENT (AT-ONE-MENT):

The Words of the Kaishi:

The Great Precepts of Gautama Buddha were kept by all Buddhas; they were transmitted from Buddha to Buddha, and they were received by Ancestor after Ancestor. The receiving of the Precepts transcends the three kinds of time, past, present and future, and the experience of Truth will continue forever. Our great Teacher, Gautama Buddha, transmitted the Precepts to Master Mahakasyapa; Master Mahakasyapa transmitted the Precepts to Master Ananda and, it is said, the Transmission of the Precepts has continued in this way, passing from orthodox successor to orthodox successor in one line, and so, after many ages, has come to me. Now, I am bestowing the Precepts upon you to return the profound benevolence of our great Teacher, Gautama Buddha, and to make you the standard for human beings and all life. We trust this to be the true reception of Gautama Buddha's wisdom and life. Respectfully following the approval of Gautama Buddha, we would like to devote ourselves to the Precepts and atone.

Listen to my words and wholeheartedly say the same words after each line:

All harmful acts, words and thoughts, ever committed by me since of old,
    On account of beginningless greed, anger and ignorance,
    Born of my body, mouth and mind,
    Now I atone for them all.

Kaishi will say
    Now we have cleansed ourselves of the products of body, speech, and mind with the approval of Gautama Buddha, all Buddhas and Ancestors. We have gained great purity though our atonement.
    ----------

THREE DEVOTIONS (REFUGES):

Kaishi says:

And so, now receive the Precepts precisely. Thus, first we undertake the Three Devotions:

Please repeat after me:

Respectful devotion to Buddha, Respectful devotion to Dharma, Respectful devotion to Sangha.
    Devotion to Buddha, the Guiding One; Devotion to Dharma, the Reality & Teaching; Devotion to Sangha, the Embracing Community.
    Sincere devotion to Buddha, Sincere devotion to Dharma, Sincere devotion to Sangha.
    ----------

THE LEAF:

When directed, please pick up the leaf (or pine twig) that is on your altar. When instructed by the Kaishi, hold the leaf out in the direction of the Kaishi, then symbolically touch your leaf to the leaf being held out by the Kaishi, then touch your own forehead with the leaf three times (This is just a physical symbol of connection). The Kaishi will say:

The giving of the Precepts of Three Devotions is like this. From now on, Gautama Buddha and All Buddhas are your Great Teachers. Never devote yourself to false teachings, harmful teachings, or the like. These Precepts were retained by Buddhas of the past; they were transmitted by the Ancestors. Now I give them to you. You should retain them sincerely.
    ----------

THE THREE PURE & UNIVERSAL PRECEPTS:

No.1: To seek as you can, in this body and life, to avoid doing harm

This Precept was retained by Buddhas of the past. It was transmitted by Ancestor to Ancestor. Now I bestow this upon you. Will you seek to keep this Precept from now to the end of your life?

Yes I will.

No.2: To seek as you can, in this body and life, to live in a healthful and helping way, doing good

No.3: To seek as you can, in this body and life, to live for the benefit of all Sentient Beings
    ----------

TEN FUNDAMENTAL PRECEPTS:

The Ten Fundamental Precepts. I shall read them, please hear with all sincerity:

I. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from the killing of life
    II. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to live in generosity and refrain from taking that which is not given
    III. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from misusing sexuality and all desire
    IV. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from false and malicious speech
    V. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from intoxication in its many forms
    VI. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from unconstructively criticizing the errors and faults of others
    VII. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from praising oneself and judging others
    VIII. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from stinginess in bestowing the Buddhist Teachings and all precious things
    IX. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from all anger
    X. To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from disparaging the Three Treasures, Buddha, Dharma, Sangha

These Precepts were retained by Buddhas of the past. They were transmitted by Ancestor to Ancestor. Now I bestow them upon you. Will you seek to keep these Precepts from now to the end of your life?

Yes I will.

(Repeat three times after “Will you seek to keep this Precept?”)

Kaishi says: You should do your best to keep these Precepts.
    ----------

TAKKESAGE, VERSE OF THE KESA:

Robe of liberation boundless
    Field beyond both form and formless
    Wearing the Tathagatha's teachings
    Vowing to free all sentient beings
    ----------

JOINING THE CIRCLE:

The Kaishi will say:

We will now symbolically exchange places. Symbolically, as I circle around you, all members of the Sangha who have previously undertaken Jukai, all Teachers, all Buddhas and Ancestors are circling around you to welcome you. Please close your eyes and see that you are now sitting where I am sitting. Picture yourself sitting in this chair where I have been sitting. Place your hands in Gassho and see me, and all the Buddhas and Ancestors, as we now circle you three times and I intone the traditional words.

A person who receives the Buddhist Precepts enters the state of Buddha at once. They stand at the same level as Gautama Buddha. We can say they are a child of Buddha.
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-06-2017 at 04:33 AM.

Mp
    Wonderful, thank you Jundo I will be there live with bells ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I look forward to sitting this one this weekend with the recording. Been awhile since I sat for longer than an hour.
    Gassho
    Sat2day

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Will be there with you, but if the Hangout fills up I'll hop off to make room for the Jukai ceremony participants

Gassho
    Rodney SatToday

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Will be there with you, but if the Hangout fills up I'll hop off to make room for the Jukai ceremony participants
    Ditto.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi Jundo!

I'll be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Jundo, I'll be here live one-way.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Mp
    Hello everyone,

Here is the event link for todays zazenkai if needed: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...pyw6jvmx7zevee
    Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Still at work so will be late, but will attend one-way as soon as I get home!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Just got off the phone with a client who flew out of Ft. Lauderdale shortly before the shooting today--
    Last edited by Jakuden; 01-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.

I will sit with this later in the weekend. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Bahaha!! Knowing what "dabbing" is is a sure sign of having a teenager in the house.
    Thank you Jundo and everyone!!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"May we be free from in-ear-monitor failures"
    "May we be free from wardrobe malfunctions"

Too fun!

This coming Jukai will be my one year Treeleaf Jukai-versary, and my 2nd year with Treeleaf. Neat!
    And along with what we were discussing in the Zazenkai hangout, it has me reflecting over this last year ...
    The verse of atonement and four vows are part of my daily sitting practice. They struck a chord with me early on and continue to resonate as it were.
    The heart sutra as well, though the middle-majority of it is still a bit foreign, it continues to work in me.

I mention this because unlike the chant book things like our vows and verses, I've only gone over the precepts a few times since Jukai 2016. This coming ceremony will be good for me to really open then back up in my heart, and I'm wondering if I can make them a "chant" of sorts and reflect more frequently on them this coming year so they can continue to mold me.

Anyways I'm just rambling ...
    And time to ramble on

Thanks everyone, grateful for you
    Sat with you today
    Rodney/Banto

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone, lovely to sit and practice with you all. Have a great night. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together for practice and dabbing.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you dear Sangha!
    Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

All my pop culture reference seemed to be missed, huh? (except by Jakuden ... she's cool!) ...

The Dab ...

(had to change prior video due to content. Not responsible for sound track. )

Mariah Carey at Time's Square ...

Was Mariah Carey's Times Square performance sabotaged?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-ratings.html

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-07-2017 at 03:30 AM.

The only reason I know of dabbing (though my youngest is still a teenager) is from the recent news,
    A son dabbing during dad Paul Ryan's swear in

Ha

Rodney
    S2D

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

I just sat with this zazenkai. Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you everyone,

Gassho,
    Marina
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Good day everyone

I just sat with all of you and the recording of the last Zazenkai.
    Metta to all of you.
    Gassho, David
    Sattoday
    David Cravidão Lopes Pereira

Will sit this tonight.

Gassho,
    Matt

Thank you all

Gassho
    Washin
    sat

Took me a while but finished this today.
    Thanks to all.
    Gassho,
    K2
    #SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Just finished sitting this. Thank you all!

Thanks Jundo for sharing these insights on the Jukai ceremony

The concluding reminder that living by the Precepts, and indeed our entire practice, is for the benefit of all sentient beings, not primarily us, provided a beautiful framing for Jukai. I will hold it close as I take the Precepts this week [Deep bows Kyonin & Jundo ]

Gassho, Chris sat/lah