Thread: Sit-a-Long with Jundo: The Dukkha of Democracy

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: The Dukkha of Democracy

I made this while packing for my month in India (Boy, that is a country with some tough social issues and wild politics!)

Many of us are unhappy and frustrated at events today. Some of us are happy at the outcome. It is the same now as in the time of Old Zen Masters of China or Japan, and as in the time of the Buddha living amid the political changes, regimes and wars of ancient India! Frankly, it is much better. Nobody in America is getting tossed in a dungeon tonight, or having their home or temple burned to the ground, or picked up by the secret police. (I am confident that will stay true).

This world is a world of Dukkha. Politics is Dukkha.

What is "Dukkha" in a Buddhist sense? I describe it this way:

No one English word captures the full depth and range of the Pali term, Dukkha. It is sometimes rendered as “suffering,” as in “life is suffering.” But perhaps it’s better expressed as “dissatisfaction,” “anxiety,” “disappointment,” “unease at perfection,” or “frustration” — terms that wonderfully convey a subtlety of meaning.

In a nutshell, your “self” wishes this world to be X, yet this world is not X. The mental state that may result to the “self” from this disparity is Dukkha.
    If your candidate loses, this is one type of Dukkha ... pain and frustration arising from how you wish things to be ideally versus how they are.

If your candidate wins, this is also one type of Dukkha ... pain and frustration arising from how you wish things to be and how they are if you cling to the victory, expect everything to be perfectly as you wish as a result (e.g., I won, so now I will be content and happy forever). Sorry, but no candidate is going to fix all the problems of Samsara.

The Buddha knew that this world of Samsara would always be disappointing in one way or another. Yes, things could go in ways that are very hurtful to some the next few years, and some folks will be very frustrated and disappointed at what happens. That is why we sit Shikantaza, to experience the Buddha's Insight into a certain 'Big W' Win that transcends small worldly wins and loses, a 'Big P' Peace the sweeps in all life's broken pieces.

Then, sitting tomorrow on the day after the polls close, right at the quiet center of the spinning wheel of success and failure, let us all get up again and begin from here ... doing as we can to make this world a little bit better.

Well, off to India ... See you on the flipflop.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-09-2016 at 01:04 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for this, Jundo. This is a needed message today. Safe travels.

Deep bows

Matt
    #SatToday

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... this talk has happened just at the right time. The sun is always shinning, even when the covered by clouds. Have a great time in India and be safe! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you for this, Jundo. Safe travels!!

Gassho,
    Andoitz.

SatToday.
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Hello,

Teacher, in the journey pleaze meet the most interesting, baffling and (fill in challenge here) beings you've met.

May you return wealthy (be in it to win it). Healthy, and wise as much as you can.

Otherwise

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Kyotai
    Thank you.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Thank you Jundo and enjoy your journey, safe travels.
    Gassho,
    Marina
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Hallo Jundo,
    Thank for your message. We will see what will come soon.

Enjoy your time in India.

Gassho,
    Floris

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

Thank you, Jundo,

After not getting any sleep since last night over the results due to worry, fear, stress, uncertainty, your talk put things back into perspective.

We are all experiencing worry, fear, stress, uncertainty, and it's on us to keep this in mind moving forward.

Safe and lovely travels ahead,

Gassho,

Jesse | SatToday

Thank you Jundo for this soothing message which has helped ease my own anguish (for even though I don't live in the US and this is not my election, we are interconnected at every level).Much Metta to all of you in the US.

Have a great trip, Jundo.

Gassho
    Cathy
    Sat today

Thank you Jundo ❤️ Have a safe journey and keep us with you.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

For those in doubt.

Just sit.

You think there's something else?

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Eishuu
    Thank you Jundo. Have a safe trip. Happy wanderings.

Gassho
    Lucy
    sat today

Thank you, Jundo, be well.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Samsara is bottomless dukkha, so subtle at its root, but I am completely invested, and sticking around anyway. Besides, the air is crisp today, and the leaves are crunchy.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today in a world that is impermanent, dukkha, and bubble in a stream.

Thanks for this today.

Jen
    ST

Mark Twain said, Politics are show business for ugly people

sat today
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you for the teaching Jundo, and have a great trip.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST

Thank you Jundo,

This talk is very important for humanity, not only for America.

Will keep it close

Gassho and safe travels.

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Thank you, Jundo. Have a good and safe journey.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Ansan
    Thank you, Jundo. Your message is much welcomed. India will be richer with your presence. Gassho
    Ansan
    SatToday

Excellent message for all of us and our families.
    Gassho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk