Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Zazen for Beginners Series: THREAD for QUESTIONS, COMMENTS

Quote Originally Posted by Wondo View Post
    Thank you Jundo for this clarification. My experience with Shikantaza has been similar. Even when I encountered those variations of zazen, I never stopped practicing Shikantaza. It just always made the most sense to me…like a knowing you are home. It is such a beautiful practice and very simple yet very profound. Thank you for creating this place where we can all come as a community and share in such a wonderful way of practicing zazen.

Gassho,

Wondo

Sat Today/LAH
    This is similar to my experience as well; I have tried various forms of meditation (not Zazen, but several attempts at other forms of meditation, most recently western "mindfulness", over the years) and none of it really made much sense to me. When I tried Shikantaza, it was like a light finally turned on. It just makes sense in a way nothing else has.

Gassho
    SatToday

-Kelly

I just finished Lesson Nine and I am filled with so much gratitude for this teaching. Learning that thoughts are natural and not something to be judged is a breath of fresh air. I loved the cloud video because usually, when I think of 'thoughts as clouds' I think of fast moving cartoon type clouds; it was a good reminder of how spread out and lingering clouds ACTUALLY are.

Gassho
    SatToday
    -Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by KellyLM View Post
    I just finished Lesson Nine and I am filled with so much gratitude for this teaching. Learning that thoughts are natural and not something to be judged is a breath of fresh air. I loved the cloud video because usually, when I think of 'thoughts as clouds' I think of fast moving cartoon type clouds; it was a good reminder of how spread out and lingering clouds ACTUALLY are.

Gassho
    SatToday
    -Kelly
    Thank you for sharing Kelly, I am glad you enjoyed it

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

I just finished Lesson 11 and spent more time focusing on the breath; I'm also reading What is Zen by Norman Fischer and Susan Moon and have been holding a more upright posture as well. I'm noticing something unexpected: it's actually more difficult to maintain focus when I'm paying attention to my breath and posture than it is when I just let everything be.

Has anyone else had this experience, and am I trying too hard?

Gassho,
    SatToday
    -Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by KellyLM View Post
    I just finished Lesson 11 and spent more time focusing on the breath; I'm also reading What is Zen by Norman Fischer and Susan Moon and have been holding a more upright posture as well. I'm noticing something unexpected: it's actually more difficult to maintain focus when I'm paying attention to my breath and posture than it is when I just let everything be.

Has anyone else had this experience, and am I trying too hard?

Gassho,
    SatToday
    -Kelly
    Hi Kelly,

Well, I would advise not to spend too much time worrying about the breath or posture. Just let the breath take care of itself. Oh, we like to breathe deeply, from the belly, but not in any forced or controlled way. Let the breath be natural, at its own pace, and then ... forget about it. Breathing happens naturally, takes care of itself.

Likewise for the posture. It is not something to regulate or try to perfect, in my book. Find a comfortable way that feels balanced and stable, and then ... forget about it. Maybe adjust now and then as needed, but then ... forget about it again. No need to pay attention to such things all through sitting.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Kelly,

Well, I would advise not to spend too much time worrying about the breath or posture. Just let the breath take care of itself. Oh, we like to breathe deeply, from the belly, but not in any forced or controlled way. Let the breath be natural, at its own pace, and then ... forget about it. Breathing happens naturally, takes care of itself.

Likewise for the posture. It is not something to regulate or try to perfect, in my book. Find a comfortable way that feels balanced and stable, and then ... forget about it. Maybe adjust now and then as needed, but then ... forget about it again. No need to pay attention to such things all through sitting.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you Jundo. I suspected as much; I have been doing my best to follow each teaching as I receive it, and I suspect that I will find balance somewhere including all of them with practice.

Love the cat by the way!

Gassho,
    SatToday

-Kelly

I’ve been watching one video a day before my morning Zazen and I just finished the final beginner’s video this morning. For now I have no questions that haven’t already been asked in this thread, but I just wanted to express my gratitude for this wonderful resource. They’ve been very very helpful, so thank you Jundo!

Gassho,
    Mason
    Sat

I visit at least one sitting session with Treeleaf folks every day. Soon I will start Zazenkai because I am well enough. For me Treeleaf has become sitting.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

After some reflection, reading the description again and watching the video twice I admit I do not get video 10 "the Mirror" or mirrormind. I understand what is said in the video and about the topic in this thread, but unlike the idea's presented in video 9 about the clouds and the sky, I don't understand how to apply this. I understand the words, but do not know what to do with it?

Yes, we reflect without judgement just what is there. Just as we don't judge the clouds (or thoughts) that pass through our Zazen. We accept.

But, what is the difference between the two or are they the same principle explained another way?

Sorry for running long.

Gassho,

Artien
    SatToday
    Last edited by Artien; 06-27-2022 at 07:47 AM.

Zazen for Beginners Series: THREAD for QUESTIONS, COMMENTS

Quote Originally Posted by Artien View Post
    After some reflection, reading the description again and watching the video twice I admit I do not get video 10 "the Mirror" or mirrormind. I understand what is said in the video and about the topic in this thread, but unlike the idea's presented in video 9 about the clouds and the sky, I don't understand how to apply this. I understand the words, but do not know what to do with it?

Yes, we reflect without judgement just what is there. Just as we don't judge the clouds (or thoughts) that pass through our Zazen. We accept.

But, what is the difference between the two or are they the same principle explained another way?

Sorry for running long.

Gassho,

Artien
    SatToday
    I won’t dare to try and explain anything as if it was doctrine.. I will say just that TO ME, the two are tied into each other.. “Watching clouds” requires an observer and the object observed, so we operate in a realm of separation: I watch “my own” thoughts and don’t interact with them, as if thoughts and observer were distinct. It is an action I take .. The mirror analogy, for me is the unification of that imaginary separation. The mirror is the space in which clouds passing by are reflected.. clouds don’t disturb the mirror, mirror doesn’t stop clouds, clouds and mirror exist as each other. That’s the nature of mind, free of divisions and self. So, I guess I understand it, in few words as : one is a doing and the other is being.
    I’m sure you’ll get a proper and accurate reply soon enough. This is just my incomplete ideas, so don’t give them too much credit, please!
    Sorry, I tried to be brief but still ran long.

Sat Today
    Last edited by Bion; 06-27-2022 at 11:42 AM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Sorry for running long.

Gassho,

Artien
    SatToday
    Just sit Zazen, letting things be in the world, not judging or tangled in thoughts, with a radical allowance of all that is ...

... and one is bound to experience what is this "clear mirror." It is as if all the world is held in wholeness and illumination, including us. All things are just "as they are," ups and downs, good and bad, the welcome and unwelcome, beautiful and ugly, all prove Welcome (Big W) in the wholeness of the mirror. The mirror rejects nothing.

Don't worry so much if you can't get your head around it right now. Just sit with such equanimity.

The Blue Sky is just the mirror too, and the clouds of thoughts, of this and that, good and bad, etc., are not rejected by the sky. The clouds ARE the sky. You and I are the sky and clouds. It is precisely the same teaching, mirror and sky, clouds and things in the mirror, just different analogies depicting this wholeness which is separation, separation which is the boundless, clear and open wholeness.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-27-2022 at 01:44 PM.

Thank you, Jundo.

And thank you too Bion. I like the analogy you presented of doing vs being.

Gassho,

Artien
    SatToday

I get it now. 2 days ago I had what you could say was a good Zazen sit. I saw the blue sky and the clouds. I was the mirror. Before it felt like "faking it." when sitting. Havent managed it since, but it's not important. I know it's there now, within me.

So my sensere thank you for your lessons, wisdom and insights.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho,
    Artien
    SatToday/LaH

Thank You Jundo. Just watched #6 (watched the other 5 first!). I will practice letting go and not judging, just sitting and accepting, while also still doing what needs to be done in life, "...acceptance without acceptance, inner stillness and outward action combined, allowing and tolerant."

Huge help, thanks again.

Gassho,
    Brian

sat today/lah

Hello to the sanga,

I have a question about eyes. I searched much of the forum and did not find this particular question...

When I sit with my eyes open, they get dry and start burning. And then I find that I have to blink a lot and even then they continue stinging. (Perhaps it is that I am in a very dry climate, or just that I am a beginning beginner.)

In Jundo's instruction on how to sit, he says that whatever posture you sit in is the right way if it helps you forget your body. (I think that's the way it was said.)

Does the same hold true of the eyes? If it is very distracting to have them open, is one better served by closing them while holding the intention to not block out the "outside" world?

Apologies for running long.

Thank you 🙏🏼

Aimee B.
    sat lah

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeebeing View Post
    Hello to the sanga,

I have a question about eyes. I searched much of the forum and did not find this particular question...

When I sit with my eyes open, they get dry and start burning. And then I find that I have to blink a lot and even then they continue stinging. (Perhaps it is that I am in a very dry climate, or just that I am a beginning beginner.)

In Jundo's instruction on how to sit, he says that whatever posture you sit in is the right way if it helps you forget your body. (I think that's the way it was said.)

Does the same hold true of the eyes? If it is very distracting to have them open, is one better served by closing them while holding the intention to not block out the "outside" world?

Apologies for running long.

Thank you ����

Aimee B.
    sat lah
    The eyes should be normal, like when driving a car. You seem to be doing, or trying to do, something extreme with the eyes (such as not blink, stare fixedly or the like). Maybe this will help ...

Drivin' Dogen - Understanding "Open Spacious Awareness"
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ious-Awareness

I sometimes comment this too:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just sit, looking out through my half open eyes, no differently than if I were sitting at my kitchen table looking at the room or driving a car looking at the road. If looking at the wall, I am just looking as if looking at any scenery. Normal vision, but I just am not particularly thinking about, pondering or concentrating on what I am seeing. I describe it as "staring at everything and nothing in particular". My eyes take in the room or the floor or wall quiet naturally, but I do not latch onto anything mentally to think about what I am seeing. For example, my eyes may rest on a chair or on some spots on the wall, but I just do not get lost in thoughts such as "ugly chair, need to go chair shopping" or "those dots look just like a giraffe"

My focus just wanders from point to point to point quite naturally, resting where they rest, on this or that, then moving on when they move on.

What a room looks like before Zazen ...

What the room looks like during Zazen (but just not thinking particularly thoughts like "ugly sofa, nice chair, wish I were outside, need to clean this dirty floor ... "

If you need more specific help, and the problem persists, let me know. Basically, if you don't have such problem when driving or riding in a car, you should not during Zazen.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Jundo mentioned my personal mistake; I tried too hard to stare at "nothing" basically forcing my eyes to focus on the wall that's in front of my eyes. That was not conformtable and irritated my eyes. Now I focus much more on my breath (nose) and while doing that I probably relax my eyes further than most people, I can still see through it (I'd say they are about 80-85% closed?). At the same time, it feels natural for my eyes so I just go with it.

Sorry for running long, wanted to add my beginner experience mistake.

Gassho,
    Artien
    Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Anyone got any tips from transitioning from sitting in seiza to burmese? I'm quite an athletic person but have always had awful flexibility...

When I first tried sitting, I got my sitting all wrong (not understanding what 'acceptable' sitting positions were) and was sitting in a generaly cross legged position (I understand why it's not recommended as it was not nice to sit in for such a long period of time...). Once I realised this was wrong, I just sat in seiza, as I couldn't do anything else. I was trying to improve this but quite quickly injured my hip , so held off for a while.

As I don't really have any real medical conditions or bad injuries, feel I should be able to sit in a position that requires more flexibility with a bit of effort. I have a fairly decent knowledge of things like this as I'm a PE teacher and practiced yoga on and off for a few years. Looking more for specific stretches in a yoga routine or modified sitting positions that I could do while reading or relaxing. Or even some tips that might help actually sitting burmese a bit easier.

Just tried sitting in burmese now though, and it's the closest I've ever been to sitting in an almost comfortable position, but wouldn't be able to do it for more than 5 minutes still

* Edited just to say it feels like my right psoas is really tight when sitting burmese, so seems like a problem relating to that

Sorry to run long

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah
    Hi Ross
    A lot of people more knowledgeable than I have already responded, and of course Jundo has his own video in the sit-a-long series showing Burmese, but I found this to be quite useful, too, especially re where the weight distribution goes. I was also intrigued by the height of the zafu in this video.

Gassho
    Anna
    satlah

For sitting with eyes open. This is possible when I sit because my eyes are not all the way open or closed, and I keep my eyes at about 1/4 open, and very occasional blinking is not bad but rather like straitening one's glasses. Not a problem.
    Gassho
    sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Hi Ross
    A lot of people more knowledgeable than I have already responded, and of course Jundo has his own video in the sit-a-long series showing Burmese, but I found this to be quite useful, too, especially re where the weight distribution goes. I was also intrigued by the height of the zafu in this video.

Gassho
    Anna
    satlah
    That is a very good video to introduce the Burmese. Thank you.

My only comments are:

- He does say that, before getting an actual Zafu, one may sit on pillows. That is usually not so good unless the pillows, or a blanket (like Kotei makes here: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post280684) are tightly bound and supportive, because ordinary sofa or bed pillows are generally too squishy.

- The most important aspect of Burmese or any of the cross legged postures is getting the knees down to rest comfortably on the ground or Zabuton. Without that, there is strain on the body and the posture is unstable. It is also the most difficult aspect for many of us "thunder thighed" westerners, in my experience. Stretches and giving it time help, but it is hard for many foreigners to attain that nice, stable knee placement shown in the video without time and stretching and patience and, sometimes, losing a few pounds (it is just true.)

Gassho, J

STLah

Good morning, good day, good evening dear friends

To give my mind a quiet point of focus during Shikantaza I sometimes picture the entire cosmos in the egg-shaped space created by my hands. As with the blue sky and the mirror, this imagery brings moments of quiet to my mind. Is there any reason to not include that in my sitting practice?

In the beginner video number 14 about the 15 minute sit, there's a recommendation to attend a longer residential Sesshin each year. Is this recommendation for an actual in-person style retreat as opposed to our Rohatsu that is done from home?

If this recommendation is for old-school in person attendence, would it be best to find a soto Zen sangha or would the local mixed Zen center be okay?

Apologies for running long. I am making use of the exception given to beginners.

Gassho

Aimee B.
    sat lah
    Aimee B.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeebeing View Post

In the beginner video number 14 about the 15 minute sit, there's a recommendation to attend a longer residential Sesshin each year. Is this recommendation for an actual in-person style retreat as opposed to our Rohatsu that is done from home?

If this recommendation is for old-school in person attendence, would it be best to find a soto Zen sangha or would the local mixed Zen center be okay?
    Hi Aimee,

If someone's life, health, finances, work and family duties can allow, it is highly recommended to go to an extended retreat that lasts for several days, three days, or even a week or so. Online is fine, but residential is really powerful ... getting up with the sun, long hours of Zazen, Oryoki eating, work and more Zazen! If health and such allows, it can be a powerful experience.

Our Rohatsu is great, especially for people who cannot do so. Or even for people who can do so, then do both!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Hi Ross

Gassho
    Anna
    satlah

This video is fantastic!!! He has a new way of explaining that really makes sense to me.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

While doing Shikantaza, I suddenly realized that all of the noise that I was hearing in that moment was from my own internal monologue. All of the images, self-referential conversation and anxiety dropped away and I was just there, sitting on the zafu, with nothing but the experience of sitting. As a beginner, knowing that there is an internal radio of self-chat that is endless is one thing, but actually experiencing reality without being completely absorbed and enticed by it... gave me confidence in the practice

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás ESP View Post
    While doing Shikantaza, I suddenly realized that all of the noise that I was hearing in that moment was from my own internal monologue. All of the images, self-referential conversation and anxiety dropped away and I was just there, sitting on the zafu, with nothing but the experience of sitting. As a beginner, knowing that there is an internal radio of self-chat that is endless is one thing, but actually experiencing reality without being completely absorbed and enticed by it... gave me confidence in the practice

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH
    Lovely. I am sure that you know Suzuki Roshi's little talks on sound and noise. The sound is vibrations from outside, but the interpretation and emotional reaction is between our ears.

In fact, the vibrations from Suzuki Roshi's mouth via video are interpreted by my brain as Wisdom.

Gassho, J

STLah

I get it now. 2 days ago I had what you could say was a good Zazen sit. I saw the blue sky and the clouds. I was the mirror. Before it felt like "faking it." when sitting. Havent managed it since, but it's not important. I know it's there now, within me.

So my sensere thank you for your lessons, wisdom and insights.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho,
    Artien
    SatToday/LaH
    There is no "good" or "bad" Zazen.

As Dogen said: "Do not think “good” or “bad.” Do not judge true or false. Give up the operations of mind, intellect, and consciousness; stop measuring with thoughts, ideas, and views.”

In Gassho,
    AnGyo
    SatToday

The sound is vibrations from outside, but the interpretation and emotional reaction is between our ears. In fact, the vibrations from Suzuki Roshi's mouth via video are interpreted by my brain as Wisdom.
    This reminded me of the koan about whether it was the flag or the wind that was moving, and it was the mind that was moving. Thank you Jundo, I saw that video like 10 years ago, but it is always nice to come back to these teachings

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

There is no "good" or "bad" Zazen.
    There is not good or bad Zazen. Zazen is always GOOD! ... both when it is good and clear and silent, and on those days when the mind is stormy and it is very very bad.

A key to Good Zazen is when we learn to sit in radical equanimity, leaping through "good vs. bad," yet with trust in our bones that this very moment of sitting Zazen is Good! just by sitting.

It is a very Good Koan!

Gassho, J

stlah

One can also sit Burmese style with a small bench. There are diagrams, suggestions on You Tube. I can't sit this away or on Zafu because of knee pain and Back pain and have purchased a straight back chair with arms but fork one who wishes more traditional style of sitting, Burmese may work.
    Gassho
    sat/lah

Greetings,
    I can speak from my own personal experience to anyone struggling with pain during Zazen. I struggled with a lot of physical knee and back pain after military service. For me, when I also started a daily yoga practice, and eventually became a yoga teacher, I found that my Zazen also improved. My knee and back pain has become far less noticeable and now I can sit for much longer. Previously even 10 minutes was met with much pain. Now I can easily sit for an hour without much discomfort. I highly recommend either yoga, or anything that involves loosening the spine and stretching the body. It can be a tremendous supportive practice.

Gassho,
    AnGyo
    SatToday

I've went through all beginner videos for the first time. This was a great opportunity to get bit size teachings of zazen! Thank you so much for the opportunity to learn from you. I've also have been digging deep into the podcast " The Zen of Everything" which has given me even more opportunity to learn from you Jundo.
    The forum is vast, where do you suggest a beginner go from here?

Gassho,
    Alicia
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by ahaney View Post
    I've went through all beginner videos for the first time. This was a great opportunity to get bit size teachings of zazen! Thank you so much for the opportunity to learn from you. I've also have been digging deep into the podcast " The Zen of Everything" which has given me even more opportunity to learn from you Jundo.
    The forum is vast, where do you suggest a beginner go from here?

Gassho,
    Alicia
    Sat today
    Oh, just sit. Join in whatever talks look helpful, ignore the rest.

There are also our Buddha Basics and Bodhisattva Basics threads here, with some introductory information on those topics:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...GINNER-s-PLACE

Some recent questions, discussions and events can be found in the "Recommended Threads Today" tab ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...-Threads-Today

... or just by clicking the "new posts" tab at the top of the page. Or you can do search word for any other topic you might be interested in. We also have a recommended reading list for beginners:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ed-Books-Media

One of our Sangha Buddhies can offer some guidance if you get lost:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ANGHA-BUDDHIES

We also have various practices and activities going on here:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...?165-PRACTICES

But, really ... just keep sitting, read a little about Soto Practice, ignore the rest.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

This is a wonderful beginner series and I continue the daily zazen practice. I just finished talk #17. Still learning and finding that the next video seems to naturally answer the questions that arise in my mind as I practice. Great continuity and natural flow to the information.
    p.s. Jundo, our family cat looked SO much like your cat in these videos. Right to the black mark by the nose. I miss her, and it brings warmth to see your cat moving about and meowing as you do the recordings.

Sat today
    Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 12-14-2022 at 07:28 PM.

Spiritdove63
    Do you have posting on Buddhist indoctrination of children into a religion topic?

Spiritdove63
    I had this thought on non attachment where I do see the benefits but Im also seeing it as a selfish act in some ways to become numb to others suffering.I can not seem to be happy totally if even one person suffers in the world this Guilt comes over me like how can I be happy totally when in parts of the world kids are starving. Do I sit and just let it go and be numb to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritdove63 View Post
    Do you have posting on Buddhist indoctrination of children into a religion topic?
    Hi Spirit,

I usually say this. I don't believe in "indoctrinating" children, but I believe that parents can set an example that will have good effects on their lives. Below is what I usually say ...

By the way, would you mind signing a human name, and maybe adding a human face photo? It helps keep things warmer and more human around here. Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

====

the following is my usual advice about Zazen and kids.

=====================

I too believe that I am introducing my children to Buddhist values, perspectives and practices in our household, but they are free to walk their own path when older. They are "Buddhist" in the way that their upbringing has been imbued with such teachings.

I am not even really a fan of the word "Buddhist", but use it as a convention for people who seek to learn from and walk the Path of the Buddha Dharma, the Teachings. It is a label that we use to describe ourselves like "tall" or "Canadian" or "baseball fan" because we may be those things. There is some small truth there, but labels are ultimately limiting.

We had some threads in the past about kids and Zen Practice, and whether kids should sit Zazen ... and why my son and daughter used to think daddy was bad because he was always sitting "time-outs" in the corner!

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post143155

Every home is different, but in our house Leon (when smaller) or Sada sits with me for about 10 minutes now and then ... before either dashing off or falling asleep. Leon used to sit with me more when smaller, not so interested now at 11. My daughter joins me from time to time,

I do not think that we need to insist that our young children sit Zazen. Perfectly fine though if they ask to do so, or come over on their own. Otherwise, it is best just to create a loving home in which lessons of Wisdom and Compassion, the Precepts and other teachings of the Buddha are naturally passed down to our children. Let them learn about Zazen from seeing the place and effect that Zazen has in our lives Then, years from now, when they are grown ... maybe they will turn to it too (your child saying years from now, "That Practice had a positive effect on mom and dad, and they were good parents ... maybe I should try that too").

Now, when my daughter plops down in my lap, she is always welcome. If my son is making noise, I ask him kindly to stop while I am sitting. However, ultimately, the noise is "just what is" and we sit with it, all the Buddha's chanting.

In the meantime, one issue for me is those times I have to give a "time out" to Leon or Sada, and have them sit in the corner. It looks too much like Zazen. In fact, when Leon was younger, he asked my wife if papa was "bad all the time, because he is always sitting in the corner"! I think he now understands the difference!

Our house naturally blends a variety of religions and customs. Most Japanese practice both Shinto and Buddhist Traditions, a time for each. My wife's family are Nichiren Buddhists, and I am the "Zenny" of course, and we respect both ... a time and place for each. I also throw in some Jewish Traditions to respect my background and family, and "Santa Claus" and "Christmas" is all around the stores and kids' TV even here in Japan ... no problem.

One thing I would like to do is find some new ways to introduce our children to Buddhist and Zen Traditions. I came up with this a couple of years ago, "Buddhist Family Holidays", to recognize our own holiday traditions in the Spring and at the end of the year (there are other holidays which might be added too for other times of the year, like Bodhidharma's Birthday. Right now the two holidays we have begun with our Buddha's Birthday in the Spring and Buddha's Enlightenment Day, Rohatsu, in December). I thought it a great way to get the kids involved. However, nothing ever came of the program and it is rather neglected, just sitting there. The next holiday, Vesak, is in May in Japanese Tradition.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...lidays-Webpage

I am looking for someone who can volunteer to really take the lead on it and make it take wing. Write me privately if you think you can.

Gassho, Jundo Dad

SatToday

I had this thought on non attachment where I do see the benefits but Im also seeing it as a selfish act in some ways to become numb to others suffering.I can not seem to be happy totally if even one person suffers in the world this Guilt comes over me like how can I be happy totally when in parts of the world kids are starving. Do I sit and just let it go and be numb to it?
    Oh, please do not confuse non-attachment with being detached and uncaring!!

Non-attachment is like the wheel which turns freely, without friction, which may be on the vehicle or ambulance to bring food and comfort to those who need, to help those who suffer. It is something like loving and appreciating those around us, our family and fellow sentient beings, without excess clinging or tension.

Imagine a flower that one full appreciates when present, waters and nurtures, and is sorry to see pass when the season ends. One can fully care for and nurture, feeling appreciation and love of the flower, sad to see it wither. And yet, when the season ends and the flower dies, one also has a heart which senses something more. That is "non-attachment" which does not cling to the outer form, but releases such into that which is beyond mere coming and going.

Something like that.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Spiritdove63
    Dont get rebirth for one I see no evidence of it nor what it is that is thats reborn. Unless ideas are carried over.

Spiritdove63
    Not with my arthritis and 220lbs . I would never get up. so I do it in a recliner lying down each day at 2:00 pm for 20 min

Spiritdove63
    ok great I like to think a child should be allowed to grow and question things ty

Dont get rebirth for one I see no evidence of it nor what it is that is thats reborn. Unless ideas are carried over.
    Hi Again,

Yes, I also do not care about, or believe too much, in overly literal views of some rebirth. On the other hand, I see that we are reborn as all things, and all things as us ... every blade of grass, star, baby everywhere ...

And our actions have effects, for good and bad ... both on our own life now, those around us, and even people far away or in the future in this interconnected world.

We have some discussion here:

Buddha-Basics (Part XV) — Karma
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...%C2%97-Rebirth

Buddha-Basics (Part XVI) — Rebirth?
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...%C2%97-Rebirth

I like to say:

But what about those future lives, heavens and hells? Will I be reborn as an Asura or a cocker spaniel?

My attitude, and that of many other Buddhist teachers, is that ...

If there are future lives, heavens and hells ... live this life here and now, seek not to do harm, seek not to build "heavens" and "hells" in this world ... let what happens after "death" take care of itself.

And if there are no future lives, no heavens or hells ... live this life here and now, seek not to do harm, seek not to build "heavens" and "hells" in this world ... let what happens after "death" take care of itself.

Thus I do not much care if, in the next life, that "gentle way, avoiding harm" will buy me a ticket to heaven and keep me out of hell ... but I know for a fact that it will go far to do so in this life, today, where I see people create all manner of "heavens and hells" for themselves and those around them by their harmful words, thoughts and acts in this life.

And if there is a "heaven and hell" in the next life, or other effects of Karma now ... well, my actions now have effects then too, and might be the ticket to heaven or good rebirth.

In other words, whatever the case ... today, now ... live in a gentle way, avoiding harm to self and others (not two, by the way) ... seeking to avoid harm now and in the future too.
    Gassho, J

SatTodayLah

Thank you for this series. Clarified many points for me.

Michael
    SatToday LaH

Thank you for the Zazen for Beginners series. I'm going to type each of the thoughts for today that concluded each video, and will tuck a small print of each randomly in the pages of my daily planner.

Thank you for sharing these lessons!

Gassho,
    b.

Sat today

Thank you for the post on pain. It's something I have been sitting with (no pun intended : ) ), and trying to figure out how to live with my chronic back pain in my practice. I appreciated that you acknowledged the feeling one can have when they see everyone seated so perfectly, and for some with physical injuries or limitations, it may not be possible to appear this way. Just that acknowledgement alone was really helpful.

Sat today

Autolyse

Oh I enjoyed that video so much! Thank you! I had never seen it.

As a mother of very young children, sometimes there is so much... noise. Today I will begin listening differently, and perhaps hearing more of the sound.

Thank you.
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by autolyse View Post
    Thank you for the post on pain. It's something I have been sitting with (no pun intended : ) ), and trying to figure out how to live with my chronic back pain in my practice. I appreciated that you acknowledged the feeling one can have when they see everyone seated so perfectly, and for some with physical injuries or limitations, it may not be possible to appear this way. Just that acknowledgement alone was really helpful.

Sat today

Autolyse
    This may help as well ...

Zen Practice with Physical Illness or Disability
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-or-Disability

We all "sit" as our body needs to "sit." Many fine ways to "sit."

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Regarding video 4, this non-seeking is a theme that comes up a lot in more advanced spiritual systems, yet getting to that point in oneself often requires a lot of seeking, joining groups, going through rituals and formalities, and then engaging in practices such as zazen, which are seemingly designed to negate the need to seek and belong, or to go through such things in the first place. It makes me wonder if, by seeking to become a Buddhist and engage in the tradition, beyond just sitting, is itself a case of the dog chasing it's own tail?
    In short, how much of the ritual, formality, robes, bowls and the rest, is scaffolding at best, and at worst a net or a distraction to the beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan65 View Post
    Regarding video 4, this non-seeking is a theme that comes up a lot in more advanced spiritual systems, yet getting to that point in oneself often requires a lot of seeking, joining groups, going through rituals and formalities, and then engaging in practices such as zazen, which are seemingly designed to negate the need to seek and belong, or to go through such things in the first place. It makes me wonder if, by seeking to become a Buddhist and engage in the tradition, beyond just sitting, is itself a case of the dog chasing it's own tail?
    In short, how much of the ritual, formality, robes, bowls and the rest, is scaffolding at best, and at worst a net or a distraction to the beginner?
    Well, yes, we sometimes have to run run run on the treadmill in order to realize this "no where in need of going" message.

But remember that our practice is not really just putting down the running and effort. We don't simply give up, drop all effort, fail to move and stop living, planning, dreaming ... but neither are we prisoners of desires, goals, never resting and lost in future worries and dreams. Rather, it is discovering that moving and stillness, diligent effort and "nothing lacking, nothing in need of doing" are both so at once, like two sides of a no-sided coin.

As to the traditional elements, some folks see the wisdom and beauty there, some folks may find it a distraction. For me, some of the things are just decorations or "Japanese culture" (like tatami mats and shoji screens, which I only have because I happen to live in Japan in a Japanese house.) But other traditional practices ... like Robe sewing, Oryoki and Chanting ... are powerful and filled with wisdom and lessons to embody.

Since a part of our practice is to put down "likes and dislikes" and personal preferences, the traditional and other aspects of Zen practice that we find annoying can actually also become a lesson in doing them anyway with acceptance and equanimity beyond "like and dislike." An example for me is doing full prostrations in front of a Altar, which somehow goes against my American Yankee "handshake" values. Nonetheless, I bow in humility just for that reason, dropping the resistance.

Gassho, J

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Well, yes, we sometimes have to run run run on the treadmill in order to realize this "no where in need of going" message.

But remember that our practice is not really just putting down the running and effort. We don't simply give up, drop all effort, fail to move and stop living, planning, dreaming ... but neither are we prisoners of desires, goals, never resting and lost in future worries and dreams. Rather, it is discovering that moving and stillness, diligent effort and "nothing lacking, nothing in need of doing" are both so at once, like two sides of a no-sided coin.

As to the traditional elements, some folks see the wisdom and beauty there, some folks may find it a distraction. For me, some of the things are just decorations or "Japanese culture" (like tatami mats and shoji screens, which I only have because I happen to live in Japan in a Japanese house.) But other traditional practices ... like Robe sewing, Oryoki and Chanting ... are powerful and filled with wisdom and lessons to embody.

Since a part of our practice is to put down "likes and dislikes" and personal preferences, the traditional and other aspects of Zen practice that we find annoying can actually also become a lesson in doing them anyway with acceptance and equanimity beyond "like and dislike." An example for me is doing full prostrations in front of a Altar, which somehow goes against my American Yankee "handshake" values. Nonetheless, I bow in humility just for that reason, dropping the resistance.

Gassho, J

stlah
    To be fair I'm actually pretty used to the accoutrements of Japanese culture, having practiced Aikido for many years, wearing a Hakama and dogi, bowing and using Japanese terminology and manners are second nature by this point so certainly not something I find annoying, I quite like the aesthetic and it does put one in the frame of mind (can't do much else but practice when dressed like that!) As for bowing, I recall Shunryu Suzuki talking about bowing, bowing to statues, cats, anything really, not as a mark of both respect and humility, so not a problem there for me at all.

I guess that for me, as someone who's looked into a number of traditions, Western and Eastern (with Zen always in the background, I read Suzuki when I was a teenager), what I have noticed is that people talk about none of it being necessary, yet doing it anyway. It's a bit like the Western mystery traditions where the initiate was finally, after many years of practice and testing, brought before the Holy of Holies, and showed an empty shrine (I always wondered if the mirror in a Shinto shrine might suggest something similar).

I suppose my issue is, if anything, an awareness that I like these things too much, even while I'm aware that they are non-essentials, yet my mind still likes them and I do have a few bits of paraphernalia, beads, bells, the rest, but don't want to just be a plastic Buddhist. Learning to live with this paradox and loosen my mental hand so to speak, rather than worrying about the things I'm grasping at/or rejecting, could as you say become a practice of acceptance and equanimity.

Gassho,

ps: what does stlah mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan65 View Post
    ps: what does stlah mean?
    Oh, stlah is our crazy little "tradition" around this Sangha ...

You are still new here, so don't really need to be concerned until more settled in, after a few month. However, "st/sat/sattoday" is this ...

SatToday - Make sure you have SAT before joining in forum CHAT!
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-forum-CHAT%21

And "LAH/led-a-hand" is optional "good deed a day" program we have here

A TREELEAF PROJECT with EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION REQUESTED: “LAH” (Lend A Hand)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Lend-A-Hand%29

Gassho, J

stlah

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast