Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jundo's India Diary: A Month of Travels & Pilgrimage

Thank you for the update Jundo. Sounds like a a great trip.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Eishuu
    Great to hear about your travels. Nice to hear how you are getting on.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Amazing how much I take for granted. Stay safe and have fun Jundo!

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

Well Jundo, yes, I hope you are doing well; after seeing the pictures of the smog alert, I think you are wise in preparation with air masks--all be well with you Jundo.

Tai Shi
    sat today
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you for the update Jundo, it sounds like it has been a very interesting experience so far. I hope the next leg of your trip brings you much insight.

It saddens me to think of so many people living in such inhospitable conditions. It's interesting think how influential the cast system in India to the Buddha's enlightenment. To see so many who could literally do nothing to elevate their life conditions, the choice is clear, the escape from samsara comes from within.

Consumption and disregard for our interconnection has all but choked out the sky with black soot in place like India and China. I hope the Western world is able to wake up from the consumer lifestyle before it is too late.

Gassho,
    Seido
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Thank you for the update, Jundo. Safe travels and enjoyable journey ahead!

Gassho
    Washin
    st

thanks for the updates. makes me appreciate America.

Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Hello from the Holy City of Pushkar ... a small and intimate place filled with mystic men, wandering cows, a few busloads of French tourists and a smattering of folks on the hippie trail. It is home to a sacred lake and one of India's few temples to Brahma ...

Jagatpita Brahma Mandir (Hindi: जगत्-पिता ब्रह्मा मंदिर) is a Hindu temple situated at Pushkar in the Indian state of Rajasthan, close to the sacred Pushkar Lake to which its legend has an indelible link. The temple is one of very few existing temples dedicated to the Hindu creator-god Brahma in India and remains the most prominent among them.

Although the present temple structure dates to the 14th century, the temple is believed to be 2000 years old. ... The word 'Pushkar' means lotus flower, which is said to be the seat of Brahma, one of the Hindu holy trinity, who is worshipped as the creator of this world. The legend has it that the demon Vajra Nabha [was killed when Brahma, in revenge of the demon having killed Brahma's children] struck him with his weapon, a lotus flower. Vajra Nabha died with the impact, and the petals of the lotus fell at three places. One of them is Pushkar, where it gave birth to a lake.

Though Brahma is considered to be the creator of the world, ... There are not many temples built for Brahma because his influence to the daily life is considered not a big as Vishnu (Preserver), Shiva (Destroyer) and Ganesh (Remover of Obstacles). Being the creator, whatever being created is already there, whereas other deities' need to be appeased so that any wishes or favours can be granted or fulfilled.
    I stumbled upon a Yajna fire sacrifice performed by a black ash covered naked (not a stitch) bone necklaced Shiva worshipping Sadhu (not so friendly but tolerant of my presence), was then asked to scatter flower pedals on the sacred waters at sundown with local folks, then was invited by some fellows to sit under a tree in the dark, round a log fire and an altar to Vishnu, with another long beard orange robed holy man who boiled up some porridge and nuts (tasty) then offered me the local hashish that the holy men here practice with (respectfully declined with many gassho. If anything stopped me, besides that I am not big on drugs myself in my personal Practice (especially on my own with a group of strange stoned holy men in the dark under a tree near Deadly Lotus Lake), it is my hacking cough from the pollution around here).

Earlier in the day, I also had a chance to visit my second Jain temple in India since I came. The Jains are an interesting sect. In many ways, they are a very similar sect and historical rival to Buddhism, even having a founder who lived at the same time as Shakyamuni. The statuary is virtually identical. Can you tell the difference? This is not a Buddha statue, but a Jain figure of their founder:

What they were known for, besides some other differences in philosophy, is a rather more ascetic lifestyle than the "middle way" that the Buddha preached. For example, they were known for wearing masks so as not to even by accident kill an insect by inhaling one ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...e/glance.shtml

and they also have groups of priests who wander naked, free of the indulgence of clothing, called the "sky clad" sect. This shows their freedom from attachment to possessions and to emotions such as shame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...ivisions.shtml

However, those fellows are not to be confused with the black ash naked Shiva worshipers, like the one I saw doing the fire ritual, who are truly a formidable bunch ...

The Aghori are ascetic Shaiva sadhus [Shiva worshipping holy men]. The Aghori are known to engage in post-mortem rituals. They often dwell in charnel grounds, have been witnessed smearing cremation ashes on their bodies, and have been known to use bones from human corpses for crafting kapalas (skullcups which Shiva and other Hindu deities are often iconically depicted holding or using) and jewelry. [Some are said to eat feces]. Because of their practices that are contradictory to orthodox Hinduism, they are generally opposed by other Hindus.

Many Aghori gurus command great reverence from rural populations as they are supposed to possess healing powers gained through their intensely eremitic rites and practices of renunciation ... the Aghoris maintain that all opposites are ultimately illusory. The purpose of embracing pollution and degradation through various customs is the realization of non-duality through transcending social taboos, attaining what is essentially an altered state of consciousness and perceiving the illusory nature of all conventional categories.

(Not my photo as, for understandable reasons, I did not ask the naked bone necklaced Shiva worshipper if he would mind a selfie with me! I simply assumed.)

I also briefly thought today to just maybe give this naked practice a go when I return to Tsukuba, and I like the principle of letting all hang out and social conventions abandoned, although I wonder if the local Japanese police would be very understanding? Maybe I will just practice at home until the postman comes to the door.

Here is to the Middle Way. Our sky is unclad whether clothed or unclothed. We bend time and space, and perceive the illusory nature of all things, without the help of a pipe.

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - I also witnessed one of those wandering cows sample some of what was cooking in the kitchen at a restaurant (vegetarian, not even eggs available in this holy town) before the chef chased her off, then proceeded to serve the remainder of the food to the customers in the restaurant. I am not eating there tomorrow, being somewhat more careful and discriminating in food choices than the Aghori. And I thought that the only food with cow lips is American hot dogs!
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-23-2016 at 03:02 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Oh, pretty sure that I found a shot of my porridge cooking hash smoking host and his Vishnu altar ... although it might have been his brother. It was rather dark except for the fire. In any case, definitely not to be confused with the black ash and bone necklaced Sadhu.

Last edited by Jundo; 11-21-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Mp
    Wow again Jundo, what an amazing experience ... even running naked in the streets! LOL Such amazing culture and different paths ... very cool! =)

That is interesting about the Jain tradition ... the only difference I see on the Jain statue from Shakyamuni is the placement of the hands?

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Really interesting. Thank you for keeping us updated! I love the story of Pushkar and the lotus flower.

I learned about Jainism when first studying about karma. If I remember correctly the difference is that in Jainism your karma comes from your actions regardless of intent, whereas intent is included in Buddhism. This is why Jains wear the facemask as accidentally swallowing a fly would incur that karma whereas I don't think Buddhists would think that.

The Jain statue does look Buddha like. The headpiece/hair is a little different (although there are many variants of that between Buddhist countries) and, as Shingen says, the hand placement also differs from Shakyamuni rupas.

As regards the nudity, maybe what happens in India should stay in India!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday (with clothes and stuff)

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    As regards the nudity, maybe what happens in India should stay in India!
    LOL ... when in Vegas, good one Kokuu. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

hahahaha that sounds awesome!

Gassho

Risho

Hi Jundo!

Thanks for checking in. Wow, very awesome, totally groovy.

Aw, everybody puts on something in the morning, whether it be a well-tailored Ralph Lauren, or ashes, or sky, or love, or well-worn delusion, or yes, nakedness. (By the way, in my work I knock on a lot of doors, and you’d be amazed at the percentage of folk who casually answer the door nude. I guarantee you, the postman will not blink twice.)

I would have no problem with the cow-lip seasoning but that’s a decision we all have to make for ourselves at some time or other.

Please take good care of that cough. Stay safe and have fun!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

And what of the bugs that go up Jain noses. Like so many mask wearers i've seen in Asia, they seem to avoid covering their noses. It is possible to inhale insects through the nostrils.

satToday
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Kyotai
    Thank you Jundo

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Wow what an adventure! Thank you for the fascinating info!
    Given my profession I would not bat an eyelash at the cow seasoning. Pass on the nude Zazen though
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    PS On a more serious note, I heard there was another earthquake near Fukushima today, hope your family is safe. The news here is saying it did not do a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    I heard there was another earthquake near Fukushima today, hope your family is safe. The news here is saying it did not do a lot of damage.

Mina reports that the house shook pretty good, but nothing to prevent the kids from going to school. We are 100 miles/160 km from the Fukushima reactors on a straight line, and all seems calm there too. Japanese press is not reporting deaths or major damage, but possibllity of more big quakes in the coming week.

They also had a major rail crash here in India yesterday, and some folks wrote to ask. Of course, I am not there, but all our hearts and thoughts go out to all the human beings who were. Buddhists and Hindus agree that we are there too even when not. I do know that the rail system here is amazing, but maintenance does lack.

Thank you for any concern.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-22-2016 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Mina reports that the house shook pretty good, but nothing to prevent the kids from going to school. We are 100 miles/160 km from the Fukushima reactors on a straight linr, and all seems calm there too.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Oh good! Thank you for letting us know!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Hi Jundo and have a great time, and did you bring your wife and children with? Did you bring a great camera, and yes have a great time!
    Your Student.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho

Hi Tai shi,

I would not bring my children on this trip, although I have met Westerners travelling with infants. Mina is kindly watching things and the kids back home while I am off ... although I understand that there will be payback due her when I return. I believe that she will be off to some Aikido adventure while I watch the kids for a month.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Hi Jundo

One thing I was wondering was if you are wearing your robes when visiting Buddhist sites and temples or if you are dressing casually? Although black robes are probably not the most suitable clothing for subcontinental weather, I was thinking that they mark you out as a man of the way and might make it easier to connect with Indian monks and priests.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

I just caught up on this thread and it's amazing what perspective one can gain from seeing how people in other countries live. Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, Jundo.
    Gassho,
    K2
    #SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Hi Jundo,

I'm glad your adventure continues despite the cough. Those photos are amazing. Talk about renunciation!

Good to know things at home are doing okay.

Thank you for the update!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yes dear Teacher. As Shokai has said for you Jundo, nine bows, and may your trip be fortunate. I leave you with this my teacher. I have started reading MIND ON WHEELS and I will learn so much for me the disabled. Thank You for this book which cost me nothing and will give me so much.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho

Thank you for the updates Jundo, it does bring back memories !
    Gassho,
    Marina
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post

One thing I was wondering was if you are wearing your robes when visiting Buddhist sites and temples or if you are dressing casually? Although black robes are probably not the most suitable clothing for subcontinental weather, I was thinking that they mark you out as a man of the way and might make it easier to connect with Indian monks and priests.
    Hi Kokuu,

I have a Rakusu, the robe of the pilgrim. It covers the world.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Jundo, seems like you've had quite a time already and you aren't nearly done. I would have a hard time in the crowd myself. Thank you for the update.
    SeaChel
    Sat2day

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Happy to hear India still has nudist holy men

Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Hi Kokuu,

Gassho, J

SatToday
    And your "modesty", given the company you've been keeping

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

My new friend, Guru Dagubaba, Holy Recluse and Worshipper of Lord Shiva ... He makes his home under the tree (although not quite sure what he does in the rainy season) ...

dagubaba1.jpgdagubaba2.jpg

Leaving Pushkar in the morning to visit another Jain temple in Ajmer featuring a hall telling the story of the life of Rishabha, their first Tirthankara or "Teaching God". Remind you of any other stories?

Indra, the Lord of the celestials, ordered Kubera to rain down priceless jewels in the palace of his father Maharaj Nabhiraj, thus announcing the coming of the Saviour of the World. The golden city of Ayodhya was constructed by the Celestials according to the wishes of Indra. After six months, the mother Marudevi saw sixteen symbolic dreams, signifying that she was going to be the mother of The Tirthankar.

When Lord Rishabhdev was born in the royal palace in the center of Ayodhya, the thrones of Indras vibrated indicating the birth of the Divine Child. The celestials marched towards the city with great majesty. Indra, after completing three rounds of the city took the Baby Tirthankar on the 'Airawat' (Elephant) to Mt. Sumeru. On this golden mountain lies Panduk Shila upon which the Baby Tirthankar was seated for Mahabhisheka (the great sacred ablution) ceremony. The ablution was performed by the waters of the distant ocean Kshira Samudra, brought in 1008 huge pitchers. After this, the celestial company returned the Baby Tirthankar to the Palace of Maharaj Nabhiraj leaving several Celestials as child playmates with Him. Rishabhdev attained manhood and succeeded his father to the throne of Ayodhya.

As Rishabhdev became engrossed in worldly affairs, Indra appeared before Him with Apsara Nilanjana. She danced before Him and suddenly disappeared, discarding her mortal coil. This reminded Rishabhdev of the transient nature of the World and He decided to renounce it.

Installing in his place his eldest son Bharat, He left the palace followed by 4000 other kings. Indra followed by the other Celestials, took Rishabhdev in procession to the Triveni, the confluence of the Ganges, the Jamuna and the Saraswati at Prayag ( Allahabad ) where under the shade of the Akshayavat (sacred Banyan Tree) Rishabhdev gave up the world, including his clothes and gave himself to contemplation. He pulled out his hair (Kesh Lonch) by his own hands depicting his extreme detachment to all worldly and bodily comforts. Lord Rishabhdev took his first meal after one year of austerities and penance. Raja Shreyans, the king of Hastinapur, had the good fortune of being the first person to offer him a meal in the form of Sugarcane Juice on the 3rd day of the bright fortnight of the month of Vaishakha. ...

After 1000 years of austerities and penance, Lord Rishabhdev attained Keval Jnan (Omniscience) at Mount Kailash. Indra arranged a beautiful place of congregation known as "Samavasharana" where the Lord preached the doctrine of non-attachment to the world. Celestials, humans, and even birds & animals gathered to listen to Him. Tirthankars attain the power of walking in sky after attaining Omniscience. 225 Golden lotuses are placed beneath the Lord’s feet during his travel by Indra.
    Here is one of the models in the temple, showing the march of the Celestials welcoming the Baby Tirthankar ...

The Baby Tirthankar given a ride on the 8 Trunked Airawat Elephant ...

Tomorrow, I return to Delhi, then on to Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and a bit of Nepal for the Buddhist pilgrimage portion of the trip.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-23-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Mp
    Great update Jundo ... I love you and your new friend have the same beard! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today beardless

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

The Indian imagination has given the world so much. So rich, worlds within worlds. You look at home, Jundo, but then you look at home everywhere. Thank you for the update.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Sat today

Hi Jundo,

I'm happy you had the chance to spend time with a Guru. I feel a lot of respect for them because they sure can teach us about living a simple life with the bare minimum.

Safe journeys!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    Thanks for all these updates Jundo, it is so nice to hear from you!! Looks like you are your new friend are good buddies. =)

I hope you continue to have safe travels!!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Jundo, thank you for the updates. Looks like he lives simply but I deed fully.

Sat2day
    SeaChel

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,

Someone wrote to ask if that was Hashish smoke in the photo of me and Guru Dagubaba, the Shiva worshiper. No, just his campfire. This trip is wild enough without any enhancements. He offered and I politely declined.

And for equal time with Shiva, a Vishnu priest painted this Tilika blessing on my forehead during a festival. (At least, that is what I am told it is) ...

deletevishnu1.png

The Tilaka is an auspicious, religious mark worn usually on the forehead, between the eyebrows and it indicates that the wearer belongs to the Hindu faith (although also given to an honored guest too). It is applied by hand and is made with a paste or powder that may be prepared from diverse materials, including sandal paste, red turmeric, sacred ashes, charcoal or clay. The application of Tilaka by a priest on the people visiting the temple is taken as a symbol of having received God’s blessing. Some people like the priests, sadhus and devout householders wear the mark everyday. Otherwise, it is generally applied on special occasions like religious ceremonies & rituals, ...
    My friend said I was doing my best impersonation of Hare Krishna founder Swami Prabhupada ...

Anyway, today is my last day in Delhi before heading off to the Buddhist sacred spots. I visited the National Museum, which has quite a collection of religious art. Most touching for me was this very early (about 3rd Century BC) Mauryan image of the Buddha surrounded by his posse. What, can't see the Buddha there? Well, in the earliest days, the Buddha was only shown as an empty space ... or perhaps in symbols, as here: The Wheel of the Law (the Teachings), footprints and an empty chair ... The real Buddha was not someone or something that could be conveyed by an image ...

Only centuries later was the Buddha depicted in human form, gradually becoming more idealized and superhuman. This is a statue from Gandhara 2nd Century AD, one of the great centers of Buddhist art on the Silk Road. A lot of folks don't realize that all later Chinese and Japanese statues (maybe even the Buddha statue in your own home) have a very strong Greco-Roman influence that came down the Silk Road. Notice how the Kesa falls very much like a toga, and how the facial features and body have that same idealized quality of a Greek Adonis or Roman Augustus ... East meets West ...

Anyway, tomorrow ... off to Bodgaya.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-25-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Mp
    Well Jundo I think your painting is lovely ... =)

How is your taste for curry coming along?

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Well Jundo I think your painting is lovely ... =)

How is your taste for curry coming along?

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I have yet to have a bad meal here, perhaps because of the surroundings and atmosphere. The curry tastes good, and so many varieties. I am not usually that much of a curry fan.

I have also (so far) avoided any sign of tummy problems.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Hi Jundo,

Ok, now that's what I was looking for in a guru! You should make that your official PR photo. Ohh, I was just sending metta to the man behind you who I thought had lost half his arm, when I realized that's actually two people. Well, metta to them anyway, and I do hope that guy appreciates having a whole arm.

Safe travel!

Namaste
    Byōkan
    sat today

Mp
    I have yet to have a bad meal here, perhaps because of the surroundings and atmosphere. The curry tastes good, and so many varieties. I am not usually that much of a curry fan.

I have also (so far) avoided any sign of tummy problems.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Oh this is good news ... the happy tummy deities are looking over you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Again, thank you Jundo, and deep bows for undertaking such an arduous pilgrimage. My I say that I might never be able to walk or even ride through such an environment, and I am grateful for you, and how you have undertaken such a trip, and how you report back to our Zendo the arduous trip you are making. Thank you so much for reporting back to us in such detail.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho

I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread both Jundo's updates and everyone's comments.

I am glad you are having such a wonderful adventure Jundo

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

I discovered that the Jains have their own 24 hour cable channel in India, featuring their music and sermons by the "Skyclad" priests (plus phone apps!)!

http://www.jinvanichannel.com/shows.aspx

I did not realize that they were still so vibrant as a community, with perhaps 7 million members, although almost exclusively all within India. For various historical reasons, such as the happenstance of geography and royal favor, they managed to survive in India when the Muslim invasions and spread of Hindu beliefs pretty much wiped out Buddhism from there. Other theories are that the Jains also did a better job of involving and meeting the needs of their lay followers than the Buddhists (who were too monk centered, limiting the role of the lay folks to donation and patronage of the monks). It is a complicated issue.

https://ja.scribd.com/document/23057...-didnot-Part-1

In any case, here is a small sample of the channel. In case you are wondering, it seems 90% (although not completely) free of full nudity, certainly in respect for folks from other religions who may be channel surfing. Not so at live events of course (I did read that the "skyclad" nuns dress). Also, Jain monks are celibate, and required to observe strict chastity and freedom from mental desires.

As Kokuu mentioned, their view of Karma is that any action ... even by accident ... can give rise to good and bad effects and rebirths, unlike the Buddha's interpretation that volition and intention are what determine Karma. For this reason, the Jain ideal in their practice and meditation is to develop the ability to stop all physical actions and all thought completely, the only way to prevent Karma from arising and to free themselves from past Karma. This is something, for practical reasons, that they really only fully perfect on their deathbed as the breath stops, although during life they try to be as still in body and mind, and as good as possible. The "duster" object that you see their head priest holding in the video above is a kind of traditional broom that they use to sweep away insects from the ground when walking or sitting so as not to accidently take life.

I also want to add a couple of more images of their model of the world from the "Red" Jain temple in Ajmer which I visited. It was truly incredible. Here is a view of their conception of the universe (very close to the traditional Buddhist idea too) with Mt. Sumeru in the middle surrounded by a series of great continents, one of which holds our world.

Celestials fly overhead in their birdy airships playing music ...

Here is a sample of how Buddhists traditionally described this ...

The Buddhist cosmology divides the bhūmaṇḍala (circle of the earth) into three separate levels: Kāmadhātu (Desire realm), Rūpadhātu (Form realm), and Ārūpyadhātu (Formless realm). In the Kāmadhātu is located Mount Sumeru which is said to be surrounded by four island-continents. "The southernmost island is called Jambudvīpa". The other three continents of Buddhist accounts around Sumeru are not accessible to humans from Jambudvīpa. Jambudvīpa is shaped like a triangle with a blunted point facing south. In its center is a gigantic Jambu tree from which the continent takes its name, meaning "Jambu Island".... The continent is ten thousand yojanas in extent; of these ten thousand,four thousand are covered by the ocean,three thousand by the Himālaya mountains,while three thousand are inhabited by men (SNA.ii.437; UdA.300).

Jambudvīpa is the region where the humans live and is the only place where a being may become enlightened by being born as a human being.
    It was only in recent decades that many traditional Buddhists, in the face of modern geography and astronomy, began to modify their quite literal views on this, not unlike the "flat earth" and Creationist debates in Christianity. It was a hard fight, with many Buddhists believing (still believing) that only literal faith in this wordview was called for. Some still cling to a literal interpretation, some take it symbolically or psycholically now, some say it was the Buddha and old Buddhists (as people of centuries past) doing their best to describe the world without the benefite of Googlemaps.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhis.../mountmeru.htm

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - When do we get a 24-Hour Treeleaf Channel?
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-26-2016 at 04:00 AM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Jundo many thanks for sharing your experiences and providing such interesting education along the Way. Glad you have avoided the dreaded Dheli Belly, let's hope it remains so.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Mp
    Hey Jundo,

Wow .. This is great. I studied the Jain faith in college, but great history you are sharing.

Also, yes, when is Treeleaf going to get its 24hr TV channel? LOL =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you for the update Jundo. The first I ever saw of the Jains was a film of people sweeping the ground ahead as they walked, trying to avoid accidentally stepping on a bug. It looked like the ultimate form of compassion, but also somehow extreme, and it made me question what compassion is. The all-or-nothing take on karma is intersting, at least you don't have to finesse things at the fuzzy boundary of volition. I believe Mahavira was an older contemporay of the Buddha. It would be interesting to learn more about his life and teachings.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Also, yes, when is Treeleaf going to get its 24hr TV channel? LOL =)
    Since GoPro, quadcopters, etc. have made first person view (FPV) all the rage lately, I volunteer to produce our Zazen FPV programming: 90 minutes each day of a wall!

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday (stuck in FPV mode)
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quite the send-off for this Indian Government sponsored Buddhist pilgrimage train that I am on, about 30 Chinese lay folks and priests, 3 Thai, 2 Koreans and me (who they have listed as Japanese for some reason).

Anyway, we get on a bus for Bodgaya in a couple of hours.

Gassho J

SatToday on the train

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast